Is The NHS Right To say No To Polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im with persionista on this one. I wouldnt like to see nurses with different coloured nails. I think it would look awful, better to have zero tolerence, then there is no but she did, but he did, etc. As much as we hate to hear it nail enhancments are a non essential item, we are programed to make our clints want them, that is our job. But in reality I dont think they should allow them in hospitals, as for the wedding band thing, its probably got something to do with human rights, not sure you would have to look it up. Just my opinion....also there are loads of other treatments that people working in health professions can have, for example if going on their holidays they could have a lovely gel polish mani and pedi, and have removal before they go back to work, we can be creative with our clints, for finding an alternative for them when there is something work wont allow xx

Having been an NHS nurse for many years and now a nail tech - I totally agree - no polish or enhancements should be allowed in clinical settings.
Infection control guidance is that anywhere below the elbow is kept uncovered. eg no watches, shortsleeves, etc (they do allow wedding ring only).
We all know the risk that debris/contaminants can be trapped underneath natural nails /enhancements - and shellac/gelish etc left in place is no different. Particulary if using colour or any masking shade - flaws, splits, breakages will not be easily visible. We all know those clients who have nails virtually hanging off before they come back for maintenance - not good for cleanliness? This is accounting for what we CAN see - what about the bugs not visible to the naked eye?
Also - my concern is that those with nail enhancements, etc would be less likely to adhere to the handwashing guidance needed to help prevent the primary cause of hospital acquired infection - poor hand hygeine!

Absolutely, I agree with NHS over this. With plain, short nails it's easier to keep and see that they are clean. Simply wearing gloves is not enough, we are trained to wash our hands and wear gloves before doing a dirty procedure then wash hands and replace gloves to do clean procedure. It also doesn't look professional I think (although I admit others may disagree) for a nurse or doctor to wear polish or nail enhancements.

I would expect a beauty therapist to have beautifully polished nails but if a nurse did I wouldn't let them touch me. I once had a hairdresser who had false nails on and every time she parted my hair it didn't feel pleasant because of the enhancements she was wearing.

Really sorry you have lost clients over this but it is for the health of the public and the retention of their job. I'm sure you'll build up your client base again.
x

To be honest I would prefer to see nurses and medical staff to have very little free edge and no polish.

Over my many years I have seen disgusting things lurking under nails after removing nail polish.

I am also of the belief that once a client gets nails done they don't have to care anymore, as we (the technician) do everything that is needed.

I have enough trouble getting clients to use cuticle oil, let alone a scrubbing brush.

Some people are just lazy ...... and I don't want my nurse to be lazy.

Nothing to add, I totally agree with nail zoo's points.

Why wedding band only? Couldn't that harbor some bacteria also? :confused:

the point is plain wedding band, no jewels on it as when you look at the mount you can see dirt underneath it and you could scratch the patient which is particularly dangerous to the elderly with friable skin.

You have effective handwashing (ayliffe) technique that gets into every nook and cranny but this would be hampered by engagement rings or two rings worn together.

Great Question and here are my thoughts

*Nails enhancements can catch in clients/patients clothes, if nail enhancements catch whilst on a ward and dealing with the public Would your client/patient sue because they have got badly scratched? or even worse a dressing is done without gloves and blood taken without washing , ive seen it all. Imagine the bacteria BEHIND the nails, the bit that never gets scrubbed I would imagine if we are all honest

Also, if a nail enhancemnt came off in whatever way and this NHS worker ripped their nail, causing their finger to bleed - IF they touched/ came into contact with an infected surface it could become infecteted = the NHS worker off Sick and even suing the hospital for unsanitary conditions.

Personally speaking, I dont feel Nurses/Doctors/ Health workers/Reception staff etc are clean looking enough these days.

I worked on the wards in the late 80s and cleanliness was absolute paramount, our uniforms had to be prestine, no makeup etc. Working on the wards in the 2000s its all so different. False hair pieces seem to be the in thing at the moment!

So, I dont agree with nail enhancements on workers within the NHS. I dont like seeing chipped or broken nails at the best of times, I certainly wouldnt wish to see an NHS worker with long enhancements trying to open up a packet of pads to place on the chest of a cardiac patient or trying to find the corner of anything sterile that needs opening either!

and.....if an NHS worker is walking around with chipped/missing finger nails where are they? and would you like to be treated by someone unkempt? are you unkempt at work?

Before I get slated its MY OPINIONS:)

Oh Teresa, so not going to slate you, . I am grateful for your thoughts, Its great to have everyones opinion and I feel a plan brewing in my little head fro everyones comments and experiences.............

I have worked with the nhs for 21years and we have always had a ban on any sort of nail enhancements. Cross infection control, but at some point or another this ban was always breached by someone.

Since all the press coverage on cross infection of MRSA and CDif etc we have to undergo yearly training on hand hygiene and cross infection control.

We are now no longer allowed to wear wedding bands, watches have been banned and now we need to have special protective covers on fob watches, yes it is a bit OTT but at the end of the day if anyone breaches this they are putting the health of the patiients at risk.

We now have special uniforms - antimicrobial tunics

• Conforms to EN13795
  • Uses natural silver technology
  • Kills bacteria quickly & repeatedly
  • Reduces risk of cross infection
  • Antimicrobial function lasts as long as the fabric
  • Industrially washable to 72ºC - although no need for high temperature washing due to antimicrobial function
  • Nonallergenic - no chemicals
at the end of the day its all down to cross infection cross infection cross infection

And yes I have been brainwashed, one of the reasons I decided to have a career change as its more to do with cross infection than patient care

Rant over lol

angelrdn - me also:)

I agree with the NHS policy on this, I used to work in Tesco's from 16 to 18 while doing a full time collage course and even back then we where not allowed anything at all on our nails, not even clear polish. To start with I was a shop floor worker (fruit & Veg) and then went onto the tills. I had my nails done for my aunts wedding and forgot to remove it before my next shift. Even though I was on the till and not handling any food directly, I got a right roasting when my manager saw my nails.

I once saw a video which showed what was still on most peoples hands after they have been washed and have been a hand wash nutter since as it grossed me out so much.

Sam

Nail polish has no place in a clinical setting nor is it a place for long nails natural or otherwise.

Infection control is now high priority in the NHS and this can be hampered by long nails. In addition long nails can puncture latex gloves and/or scratch patients.

When I trained (as a Chiropodist) we were told that nails should be kept short (just beyond the finger end) and filed regularly. Nurses and physios I knew were told this as well.

Most NHS Trusts have this as part of their Policy, so if you want to have long nails don't take a job as a Health Professional in the NHS !

Hey am not a nurse but I have recently been in an out of hospital for fertility treatment in operating theatres. I had nail enhancements and gel on toes - I got a letter saying no make up or nail polishes etc due to them circulating in the atmosphere ! When I asked if I could wear latex gloves and socks so I didn't have to remove them they said this was fine and to request these when I get admitted into day ward before getting readyto go to theatre

Hey am not a nurse but I have recently been in an out of hospital for fertility treatment in operating theatres. I had nail enhancements and gel on toes - I got a letter saying no make up or nail polishes etc due to them circulating in the atmosphere ! When I asked if I could wear latex gloves and socks so I didn't have to remove them they said this was fine and to request these when I get admitted into day ward before getting readyto go to theatre

In theatre patients are normally asked to remove nail polish, I'm surprised you weren't to be honest.

This isn't gonna go down well, but nurses should not wear Nail enhancements, polish or even shellac. Enough Said!! It's self explanitory and being a qualified nail tech should know that there are certain professions that should not have enhancements etc done and we should remind our clients that they shouldn't be applied if this is their current profession. That is how I was trained and advised to do. I don't want someone coming back to me saying I said she should be ok with enhancements on and then being told off at work for having them on.
Thats My opinion anyway !!

As I understand it, they ask you to remove enhancements and polish if you go into surgery as 1) they can check your circulation from the colour of your nail bed while under GA and 2) they also put that 'f'ob' thing on your finger to measure your bloods oxygen saturation. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected]

I've been in hospital twice now, once for an op inder GA, and once for a caesarian and both times I had gel on my fingers and toes, once bright red, the other pink & white.

There are many ways of checking circulation apart from the colour of a nail ned - lips for example will tinge blue, and there's always the pulse (my favourite indicator of choice!!!), as for the oxygen level indicator, that works through gel, mine was showing at 99% when I had my c-section.

I think the no nail polish is an old rule, technology has moved the medical profession on, but it would appear the rules are unchanged.

For what it's worth, I agree with bare nails in all clinical area's in a hospital - and that includes radiology.

I've been in hospital twice now, once for an op inder GA, and once for a caesarian and both times I had gel on my fingers and toes, once bright red, the other pink & white.

There are many ways of checking circulation apart from the colour of a nail ned - lips for example will tinge blue, and there's always the pulse (my favourite indicator of choice!!!), as for the oxygen level indicator, that works through gel, mine was showing at 99% when I had my c-section.

I think the no nail polish is an old rule, technology has moved the medical profession on, but it would appear the rules are unchanged.

For what it's worth, I agree with bare nails in all clinical area's in a hospital - and that includes radiology.

Saturation levels are picked up quicker whilst monitored before the lips turn blue. I'd be shocked if hospitals were using that as a method :eek:. Also your pulse will not indicate you oxygen levels in your blood, but it is good that they could monitor it under a layer of gel.

All the surgery I have had, last one was this month they checked I'd removed nail polish. If you arrive with gel on your hands and toes are you realistically going to be able to remove it before your operation? Probably not. Would they send you away and re-schedule your op? Hmmmm depends what the op was I suppose but do they explain to you not to come wearing polish or nail enhancements?

I think everyone agrees that polish/enhancements do not belong in the NHS.

Latest posts

Back