Is there an afterlife?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Marie*

Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples thoughts and experiences are on this...

I basically felt I need to talk to people who have maybe been through the same kinda thing or just anyone who can confirm I'm not weird!... It's all been sparked off by a dream I had last night about my late Mum... whom I lost through a sudden and un-expected heart attack on 31st October '06, she was only 61.

I can't stop thinking about this dream now and I really have no idea why it is sticking in my mind so much, it was so so vivid to every last detail and bothering me slightly.

The dream went like this...

I was round at my Dad's house with my older brother and for some reason Dad's house over looked the cemetary - it doesn't in real life though! The curtains were shut and Dad asked me to open them, as I opened the one my Mum was standing there in the middle of all the graves looking back towards the house at me... she was wearing one of her favourite tops (every little detail was in this dream!) anyway, in the dream this freaked me out a little so I shut the curtain again and walked to the living room to where my Dad and brother were, when I got in there my Mum was sitting on her usual seat on the sofa, she turned to me and smiled. When I looked again she was gone. In the dream I said all this to my brother who also tried to open the curtains to see if he saw the same but he didn't...

I don't know why this is bugging me so much but I am also finding it comforting in a strange kind of way and actually wish that I could see her like that the way I did in the dream... maybe I sound really strange now, but it's not something I'd ever thought about until today.

On Christmas Eve something strange also happened, which could have been a complete coincidence and it probably was but it is something that has never happened before. I was so upset when I left my boyfriend that night, what with it being the first Christmas without my Mum, that I was still crying on the drive home, Phil had previously suggested that when I was feeling upset to maybe 'talk' to her, so that night I did through all my sobs... telling her how much I missed her and how Christmas would be. Anyway along one of the straights on the road I was travelling at national speed limit and suddenly it felt like someone had put their foot on the brake and my car started to drop speed - not much but just about noticeable - now it really could have been something to do with my car and a complete coincidence... or maybe I'm just obssessing over this and going slightly mad lol!

I remember my Mum and Dad telling me that after they were driving back from somewhere the day after her Dad's funeral they had something strange happen to them... the car apparently filled with the aroma of flowers!

Has anything happened to anyone else, no matter how trivial?... cos at the moment I'm wondering if I'm actually going mad!... and this dream is still very much in my head...

im sure you are not going mad! who knows whats out there til we get there ourselves eh, , take the dream and car happenings and be comforted that your mum loves you very very much and knows that you love and miss her too. :hug: xx

No I don't think that there is an afterlife.
I quite often dream about my gran and it's almost 5 years since she died. Sometimes I dream that she has died and momentarily when I wake up I think Oh Thank God - it was just a dream... and then reality dawns.
I was very close to my gran, she helped my mum bring me up and she was a major part of my life.
I think we dream about people that we have lost because we miss them and sometimes, although we think we are getting over it our subconscious reminds us in dreams.
Grieving is a long process hun and things are still very raw for you. Time is a great healer as they say but I don't think we ever forget those we love and have passed away.
Anniversaries, Birthdays, Christmas always make us think of people more.
Hope you are ok love. No, you are certainly not going mad, it's a grieving process.
We are expected to pull ourselves together and "get over it" after the funeral has taken place but it's really not that way. It does take time.
If you want to think of an afterlife or anything else and it helps you feel better then you do it. We all have our own ways of dealing with these terrible situations.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes I do believe that death is not the end, our loved ones are always with us watching over us and protecting us I know that as many strange things have happened to us and in our house since Dad and then Mum moved on to higher things.

Joan

No you are not going mad!

I lost my mum suddenly to a heart attack aged 51 (will be 3 yrs ago this feb)
and all kind of strange things happen to me but i never feel scared, i feel calm in a way because the things that happen are all things that link back to my mum.
Ive also smelt her perfume around the house and thats after a bad day and ive sat and spoke to her...i like to think shes around me all the time :hug:

Nope hun your not going mad, I really believe in life after death & have had experiences like yours that only makes me believe this is definitely so!!! :hug:

My 8yr old was really close to my father.. before he passed on my son was having nightmares about a man watching him at the end of the garden... after my father died my 8yr old came up to me and said "that its grandad.. he wants to make sure we are all ok.. i told him we were.. " i nearly cried and do you know he has not had a nightmare again..

Ur not goin mad,,,,,,,,I beleive and maybe this is the way ur Mum's just letting u know that shes doing ok and that shes there if u need to talk,,,,we all have angels watching us,,,,maybe you just got urs....xxxxx

I tend to have quite vivid dreams where im at down talking things through with my Grandma, they dont happen that often but when they down i love them. I really feel like iv spent time with her, time im really miss.

strange thing has happend to me, me and hubbie were going through a real bad patch, i was lookin for my wedding ring as we never wore them. My daughter had made me a special box and i put them in there with other bits and bobs. Anyway i went to get them and they had gone, i looked everywhere for them. We had yet another row and he stromed out up to his mums house, after an hour the phone rang and i answered, said "hello" he said "hello" it was my hubbie. I asked what he wanted and he said no what do you want. both the phones had rang..! we started talking and sorted everything out, that night he got his wedding suit out and in his top pocket there they were, out rings !! very strange...!

I'm am very sceptical about this subject.

I think I would have to see it to believe it kind of thing. It's a lovely idea though! I have many loved ones who have passed away and would love to think that they are watching over me.

Teri x:hug:

My Dad passed away 4 years ago (he was 57) I have never had a dream about him, but I have had a number of strange things happen that makes me think its a bit weird. I'm not scared I just wish it would happen more so that I could understand it more. A couple of things have been my street door keys being swept of the table and landing on the other side of the room. When I'm on my computer I sometimes get a black flicker over my shoulder when I turn round nothing is there (only me in the room). And the other funny thing that me and my boyfriend laugh about is if we have a disagreement and I know I'm right the moment he walks away something happens to him i.e bumps his big toe, falls down the stairs, drops a cup. We joke now and my boyfriend says that because your a Daddy's girl and his on your side again (of course!!!:) ). But the list goes on of things that have happened but I enjoy them yet still don't really know what to think.

Thanks for all the lovely replies so far. :hug: I really would find comfort if my Mum did happen to be watching over me. Tomorrow I'm going to see my Dad and I'm going to tell him about the dream etc and see what he says... you never know he may have had similar things happen to him and hasn't told me through fear of freaking me out!

I definately think there is something after death. My dad died just over a year ago, and ive had a few strange things happen to. Sometimes he is in my dreams, but they seem different from normal dreams - I can feel him and smell him. I know it sounds stupid to anyone else when you tell them, but I get alot of comfort knowing he is close.

vanessa xx:)

I lost my mum 20 years ago now, i was 15 at the time and she was 57, i have had a few events in my life where i have been held up for whatever reason and running late because something has happened and on most of these times if i had been where i should have been on time i would have been involved in accidents or other bad things so i believe that my mum is watching over me and keeping me safe, it is probably coincidence but it makes me feel better to think its my mum, and who knows it could be ?

Thanks for all the lovely replies so far. :hug: I really would find comfort if my Mum did happen to be watching over me. Tomorrow I'm going to see my Dad and I'm going to tell him about the dream etc and see what he says... you never know he may have had similar things happen to him and hasn't told me through fear of freaking me out!

Hun, I do believe in the afterlife, I had some pretty weird things happen after my mum died, bout 7 years ago and in fact they still do, smells etc. and more often than not electrical strange goings on. I still dream about my mum and it is SO real. You have to remember though you are still grieving and that takes time, after my mum passed I read some of the mediums Gordon Smiths books and found them very comforting, then I had the chance to meet him! He talks a lot about the grieving process and gives great comort and a lot situations of people coming through to him that even the biggest sceptics have been astounded by x
hth:hug:

I do believe that death is not the end, I lost my Dad very suddenly 7 years ago he was 66, My strange experiences started the day that he died I went up to the church to light a candle and the father took me into his living quarters to chat while there I caught sight of a picture in his room, It was a man walking in the snow wearing a cap and with a sheepdog by his side this was the spit of my dad and our dog monty. One night I woke and could feel someone sitting on my side of the bed as I turned I saw my Dads face and heard him shout me. I believe that my dad is with me everyday and takes care of me from a distance.

I strongly believe in "higher power", visits from loved ones, angels, apperitions, etc, and this is my experience, you decide.

I was in my late twenties and had my own apartment, my roomie was working out of town and had the place to myself during the week. My apartment faced south, so it got alot of sun during the day including the morning hours. My Grampa died in May, so at that time the sun was usually up around 6 am which would shine in my bedroom, anyway, I'm a pretty deep sleeper, when all of a sudden I felt this hand on my chest and one on my back, (kinda like when someone helps you up) and it sat me straight up in bed. I couldn't move from the waist down, but I could bend forward, move my arms, hands, etc. I turned my head to look at the window, to give me an idea as to what time it was, the window was dark. I turned my head back, when off to my right, by my dresser, I saw this huge oval with this amazing bright white light inside it, there was smoke or haze moving around inside, then, my Grampa appeared inside the oval, with this white light behind his head, he was talking to me, but I couldn't understand what he was saying. I said, "Grampa I can't hear you", he just kept talking, again I said "I can't hear you". I was amazed by this sight, then something told me to put my hand inside the oval, so I did. I put arm in up to my elbow and moved it around, it was so peaceful and amazing, my Grampa just kept talking while I did this. I pulled my arm out and wanted deperately to know what he was saying to me, but I couldn't understand what was being said. Slowly the oval and Grampa started to disappear, I said "no, wait, don't go!". Grampa disappeared, but the oval seemed to linger abit, then it just got real small and disappeared. I sat there and wondered if this was real, then the feeling of the hands on my chest and back came back, they ever so gently layed me back down on my bed (like a Mother would when she lays a sleeping child down) I could feel them like they were real! Then they were gone. I laid there in amazement, then I thought what time is it, I looked over, and my clock had said exactly 6:30 am. the sun was shining in my window, beautiful and bright. My Dad called about 10 mins later
and said he had some news, I said Grampa died, didn't he? There was a pause, and he asked if someone had called me and told me that, I said no, Dad said that Grampa died 10 mins ago of a massive heart attack while tying his shoes. My cousin was living with Grampa at the time, and she was getting ready for school, when she heard this noise, shechecked on him, but he was gone already.

Still to this day, which is almost 20 years later, I don't know my message, but I will never forget what it was like to experience that! When they describe a "bright white light", I will say that there are NO WORDS to describe that light. It is the most beautiful, "whitest", peaceful, calming, warm, I can't even describe it, it was amazing!!!

I have also experienced the smell of "flowers", when there has been no one else around or anything relating to the smell close to me. I just respond by saying "hi" to my spirit, and feel nothing but, calmness, love, and warmth!

Not sure if you folks in the UK get the Montel Williams show, but there is a lady on his show, usually Wednesday, by the name of Sylvia Browne, and she is unbelieveable! She's like a spiritualist, she can solve crimes, tell you how your loved ones are doing, etc. She has also written several books.

This is my experience, I have more, but maybe next time.

I don't think you're going mad. Find comfort in the lovely dream and try not to be sad - you will find that you wont often dream of people who have passed on, no matter how much you may want to. :hug:

I believe in afterlife, angels, sprits, pretty much all of it. I would love to have an experience like the one that pamperedpinkies and the rest of you have shared. However i'm not so lucky.

I have had what I call "ghostly" experiences only ever at work. Once when I was working in a salon I was doing one of my friends nails after hours and it was just the two of us in the salon. My light kept flickering my friend joked and said maybe you have a ghost in here. So we started joking around by asking the ghost questions if they answered yes to make the light flicker once and no twice. Well if the light didn't start to answer our questions. Freaked us right out.

Another time I was at work again I was putting stuff away when I rounded the corner just in time to see what looked like smoke rising from the ground I stopped and watched for a second til the "smoke" disappeared.

I would love for more to happen because I am such a "believer"

SC

:hug:
What I believe happened to you was what Sylvia Browne (Spritualist) calls a visitation.. Your Mom came to you in your dream to tell you that she is O.K. and loves you very much..

I believe that when someone dies they leave their skin and bones behind, but their energy (Soul) goes on to the other side..

My Dad died five years ago and I dream of him often.. I find it very comforting.

I had a dream about a year and a half ago that I was at some sort of a Military ceremony and I looked down to where there was a soldier kneeling by the Canadian Flag, he looked up at me and it was my Father.. Several months later we were notified to attend a Military ceremony that were honoring the world war two veterans with a Memorial wall..

I also dreamed of my Dad the night of my Birthday.. and in my dream I knew he was dead, but I said to him .. I'm so glad that you came to see me.. and my Dad said that he wouldn't have missed my Birthday..and that he loved me very much..

Sylvia Browne says that we all possess the ability to receive messages, signals, etc.. but if you believe that what you witnessed was a coincidence than you miss the opportunity to communicate with your loved one.

Sincerely
the nail fairy:hug:

Latest posts

Back