Is this the great new "revolution" in enhancements!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollyballoo

Truly, Madly Geeky...
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you subscribe to the US nail mags, but some time ago I noticed a nice two page spread ad introducing Prescription Nails™.

Basically they are clear, full-cover nails which come in 128 sizes and curvatures, purportedly thin, flexible and durable and last for up to two weeks (though since reading this, some technicians are saying they will last for three, and they are charging half the price of their normal enhancements) and are simply soaked off for 15-20 minutes in acetone. The ad states that they are perfect for clients wanting "long, beautiful nails without the time/financial commitment associated with traditional enhancement methods".

To be honest, I thought nothing more of this though until I heard that it is now being featured regularly on TV in the US and that Dashing Diva in the US operates using the same concept (called Virtual Nails™) which you can see :Look_righhere.

So, I'm wanting to know if any of our US-based Geeks on here have seen or used this "revolutionary" (their words, not mine :rolleyes: ) new system and what sets it apart from your widely-available stick on nails available at Boots etc which consumers can go out and buy? I just don't get it at all - I don't understand how a customer is going to be more convinced to go to the trouble of attending a salon to have these nails put on when they could pretty much do these themselves, buying them direct from the stores. If they are already reluctant to pay out for traditional enhancements, why are they going to pay for this service?

What's everyone's thoughts on this generally and, if they arrive on this side of the pond via the likes of these "Express Chain" salons, how would you feel and would you feel it is another potential threat to your business, or would you considering actually adding them to your menu under the banner of "party nails"?

Just curious to hear your views on this "new" :eek: kid on the block!

acr_vs_vir.gif

Eeks!!! what is this all about? this was taken from their site.
I have obviously wasted my money and training :wink2: :wink2:

Don't think this is anything new lol Just what we call stick ons from boots pmsl

so, i'm from the U.S. and I happen to be living in New York right now. From what I can tell, it seems like I've wasted my time learning l&p. In my opinion it seems like the only difference between this product and the do it at home stick on is that you have a "professional" doing the sticking. I will be checking out this salon in the near future, as I'm intrigued by their services. Frankly I would hope that consumers will realize what a load of crock this whole thing is. If they really want to spend the extra $ on a product that they can easily do at home then I say, let them. I can't imagine this thing catching on.

I would still cause loads of damage to my nails sticking these on especially as i am a picker and do tend to rip at my nail (i know i know i shouldnt i should soak off), it doesnt matter how many sizes you have unless you ahve them especially moulded to your own nails then you are not going to get a perfect fit so enhancements still will win hands over.

hmm I take it you have to have perfectly shaped nail beds to start off with? what about clients with bitten nails, ridges, fan-shaped nails....... the list could go on and on.
next thing they'll be doing is telling their clients that they should leave them off for a couple of days to let them breathe pmsl
naaaahhhhhh professional nail techs win hands down every time and so do their professional products. (IMO ofcourse :D )
xx

just had a look at the site....... here goes... the prep for the nail application, fasten your seatbelts ladies, you're in for a mega fast trip to becming a nail tech lmao.

"Step 1 (preparation)
should you have nail polish on, remove it with nail polish remover. (no mention of acetone free)
Step 2
Take the full cover nails out of the package and find the correct sizes for your fingers, place them in sequence.
Step 3
As an optional step, if you need to, you can file the sides of the full cover nails to fit better.
Step 4
Trim and file the free edge of your natural nail with a nail file. Remember the shorter your natural nails the better the fit of the dashing divas pre decorated full cover nails.
Step 5
Take a piece of cottonwool and wrap it around the tip of an orange wood stick. Take the orange wood stick and push back your cuticles so the pre decorated nails will feel better. (no mention of being gentle).
Step 6
Buff your nails gently with a white sanding block to remove the natural shine. (no mention of being cautious).
Step 7
While holding the tip of the full cover nail, apply pink gel glue to the inside of the cuticle area of the full cover nail.
Step 8
While holding the front tip of the full ocver nail, use your back cuticle as a pivot point and lower the full cover nail onto your natural nail and hold in place for several seconds.
Step 9
Remove excess glue under the full cover nail with an orange wood stick.
Step 10
Check the length of the full cover nail and if desired they can be trimmed using a nail clipper. Remember if using a nail clipper, clip each side of the nail and not across the top.
Step 11
If the full cover nails have been clipped shape the tip of each nail with a nail file.
Step 12
If you trimmed and filed the nail you can also use a white sanding block to smooth the tip of the pre decorated full cover nail.
Step 13
After all the nails have been put on you can now wash your hands or use a warm, wet towel.
Step 14
After your hands are dry, as a final step you can apply topcoat to each full cover nail.
Step 15
Now you are ready to show off your style."

The removal slideshow wasn't available hmmmmmmm lol

OKay I have to admit I sped read through their info. Am I right in thinking that there are 128 different sizes? That's a hell of a lot of stock to hold, plus what happens if you don't get the tip sizing right the first time? Does it mean for H&S you have to ditch them until you get that perfect fit, could take you 128 goes to get it right. Don't think I'll be shaking in my sassy gel boots quite yet!

Right Sandi - guess this would explain why it will take 3 days of training to learn how to use this revolutionary system, with all the technical know-how that is required huh!

I was just baffled how Dashing Diva were managing to use this "system" as their core system. However, now I've taken another look at all their services, it does appear that they do offer L&P, Gel, wraps etc. That was what threw me, thinking they were on a mission to globally expand on the back of their Virtual Nails and I just couldn't understand how!

Sassy Hassy said:
OKay I have to admit I sped read through their info. Am I right in thinking that there are 128 different sizes? That's a hell of a lot of stock to hold, plus what happens if you don't get the tip sizing right the first time? Does it mean for H&S you have to ditch them until you get that perfect fit, could take you 128 goes to get it right. Don't think I'll be shaking in my sassy gel boots quite yet!

Yep, a whole 128 Sarah - hard to understand, if the benefits are the same as your average Boots stick on's, why you would need to go to all that trouble of sizing because presumably the outcome would be just the same - they would last just the same as your chemist variety. Just keep wondering if there is something that actually sets them apart (which really I doubt) from the rest to make a company want to introduce them as a full salon service!

Hollyballoo said:
guess this would explain why it will take 3 days of training to learn how to use this revolutionary system, with all the technical know-how that is required huh!
I would be interested to know what they would say to the clients who come back after 2 weeks for a new set when they show them their rapidly growing "greenies" that would obviously have a moist, faberoony environment to thrive in being as the prep is non existent.

wow. They might as well call them 'cheap plastic bacterial farms'.

To have a set of pre made nails to fit clients - you would need something like 4,500 different types.

a) If they look as good as the picture
b) If proper prep and application is done to avoid bacteria and air pockets.
c) If they stay on for two weeks
d) and suit a client that wants a service done in 35 minutes(!)

What is the problem?

The reason a client might go to a salon and pay for "party nails" is that proper prep and application means that they will stay on for two weeks - not two days like the Boots DIY versions. If properly removed I can't see how they can cause more damage than traditional enhancements.

Now dont all shoot me down on this one. BUT........ about 20 years ago I was a hairdresser and decided to train in the very fashionable nails that were all the rage then. I went for a 2 days training all covering hygiene, correct prep and nail application. And they were these exact nails that are advertised on the Dashing Diva site, right down to the application methods and the filing down around the side walls and cuticle ares to make them fit exact.

At the time they were the best thing since sliced bread, everyone loved them. We charged £10 a set (which was a lot of money 20 years ago) and the profit mark up on a full set was £9.50 Not bad eh. And I have to say that they looked pretty damn good, and they did last for about 3 weeks, at which time you soaked them off and started again.

So looks like an old thing revamped.

A girl at my work (day job) received a gift vouchers for a manicure in a salon (local to her). She initially fancied having a french polish painted on her nails but at the time of going she had a lot of breaks to her own nails but in the end the salon applied stick on nails!

I couldn't believe it and didn't say anything as it was up to her what she did with her own nails.

I couldn't believe that a professional salon would even offer this is a service - do any nail geeks offer this?

I'm now wondering if this is the type of nails that were applied on her?

the big problem with this system is that they are stuck on with "glue".
as we know, this will break down way before the 2 weeks are up, therefore, they are definately gonna experience:
pingers
lifting (the type that keeps ripping your hair out every time you put your hair behind your ears.
big possibility of bacterial infections.
therefore, how ever brilliant your prep is, the adhesive will not withstand the normalities of everyday life.
unlike the bonding of most professional products.
nails like these should only be offered to a client who needs a very quick fix for a few days & then should be professionaly removed.
liza

liza smith said:
the big problem with this system is that they are stuck on with "glue".
as we know, this will break down way before the 2 weeks are up, therefore, they are definately gonna experience:
pingers

So stick them on with Resin, the exact same thing you use to initially stick on tips. I guarantee you it will not break down before two weeks are up.

liza smith said:
big possibility of bacterial infections.
therefore, how ever brilliant your prep is, the adhesive will not withstand the normalities of everyday life.
Expert prep and adhesion with no air pockets or lose edges would make it impossible for bacterial infections to get in.

liza smith said:
unlike the bonding of most professional products.
nails like these should only be offered to a client who needs a very quick fix for a few days & then should be professionaly removed.
liza
I agree they should be professionally removed, but how many is a few days?

Why on earth shouldn't a salon offer this type of quick service for those that want it?

Isn't that what we are in business for to offer a choice of services to our clients ... their choice sometimes and not just ours?

These nails won't suit all clients and their lifestyles anymore than any other service suits all clients and their lifestyles but it will suit some, perhaps many, and if there is a good return on your investment and you make money, why the hell not?

I'm sorry but I have to agree with glynis and geeg. I know I'm new to carrying out nail services but as a customer for the past six years and a business graduate I think it's a great way to increase business.

If someone wants to try enhancements or is worried/doesn't want to go the whole hog of having 'proper' enhancements this is a valid choice. If they want someone to apply nails so that they look nice and last a long time instead of going to the chemist and having a go themselves then surely as a qualified nail techncian you are in the best position to offer the service. Why let someone who is not qualified get near to one of your potential clients when you have the edge in knowing how to make these enhancements look great (product limitations excepted) using 'tricks-of-the-trade" to ensure that the client is happy with what they are paying for.

By introducing a new product a whole new client base can be created for little investment - there is no extra training to shell out for and the profit margin is high, especially when you take into account the time taken to apply compared to 'proper' enhancements. You charge when they come to have them done and then again when they come back to soak off - maybe offering a manicure at this time (at extra cost natch!) as the shock of seeing natural nails again might be distressing!!!! Use each opportunity to sell, sell, sell - retail products, regular manicures, whatever you can - whilst the client is in front of you, you have them captured and can promote the benefits of good nailcare, challenge and try to break down any preconceptions/myths they have of the real thing (not Coca Cola!) and just maybe they will become converted and be back time and time again as a regular customer for whatever service, or will be so enthused at the customer care they have enjoyed that they'll tell everyone how lovely you are! If not, it's not been too expensive for you or them.

Funny enough, I've noticed a big trend in stick on nails amongst my friends and girls/women in my area, which is Greater London.

They look fantastic I must say. The reason they're buying these is that they are quite cheap (cheaper than infills) and they can put them on themselves.

I'd love to see these Virtual nails and I'd be interested also to see what difference there is between the adhesive we use and theirs.

Latest posts

Back