Is this the great new "revolution" in enhancements!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kimmi Rocks said:
Funny enough, I've noticed a big trend in stick on nails amongst my friends and girls/women in my area, which is Greater London.

They look fantastic I must say. The reason they're buying these is that they are quite cheap (cheaper than infills) and they can put them on themselves.

I'd love to see these Virtual nails and I'd be interested also to see what difference there is between the adhesive we use and theirs.
Just been on the site, doesn't say how many you get in a pack as a trade enquiry, nor can see the amount in the retail packs.
C*

valburt said:
Now dont all shoot me down on this one. BUT........ about 20 years ago I was a hairdresser and decided to train in the very fashionable nails that were all the rage then. I went for a 2 days training all covering hygiene, correct prep and nail application. And they were these exact nails that are advertised on the Dashing Diva site, right down to the application methods and the filing down around the side walls and cuticle ares to make them fit exact.

At the time they were the best thing since sliced bread, everyone loved them. We charged £10 a set (which was a lot of money 20 years ago) and the profit mark up on a full set was £9.50 Not bad eh. And I have to say that they looked pretty damn good, and they did last for about 3 weeks, at which time you soaked them off and started again.

So looks like an old thing revamped.

Oh................wait a minute. It sounds as though these are what I've already had and the salon who did them called them Instants. They were just stuck on with the same adhesive used to apply a tip. And yes, they were filed to fit and they did stay on a good 2 weeks. I thought that these Virtual nails were something different. I still think it's a fab idea though.

I think that nails like these, or like the pre-designed full-cover nails sold by companies like Pro Impressions, have a time and a place if applied properly.

Like Glynis said, if the proper prep is carried out and the nails adhered properly and with a professional adhesive (not cheapo nail glue from Boots) then they are a good short term measure.

The trouble with enhancements or even temporary enhancements worn for one off events (and this is from a consumer POV, as said to me by my sister about 5 minutes ago), is that if you want long, pretty nails for a special occassion, you feel a bit loathe to have your own nails cut down to apply tips.

I think the key to using these nails in the salon will also be the marketing done. You need to make it clear to your clients why your product is professional and acceptable, and Boots stick-ons aren't. Explaining the prep as you go is a good point, possibly pointing out the hygiene issues with consumer stick-ons as you go, and also pointing out that these nails need to be PROFESSIONALLY removed, not just ripped off.
Of course, there will still be some women that will go to Boots regardless, stick on crappy nails, get greenies, ruin their nails by ripping them off.... they're fault if they want to be 'cheap'. But there will be some women who will happily pay for these kind of services if it's what they're after and you can convince them that your way is the better way.

Crikey GMG, what has happened to my post?? Think the automated hyperlink jobbies have got a bit trigger happy :D

Ok I have pondered this for a while and after reading geeg's post I thought "Pah! Rubbish" I have used stick on nails in the past and stuck them on with super glue lol and they pinged off whilst doing my jeans up in the loos so i go out with lovely nails and come home with about 1 :) and also how dare they state that their "stick-ons" are superior in strength etc gee! what a waste of training! But I then re-read it and Bunny's reply adn thought "hmmmmm" I guess there is definately room to supply the clientelle that I dont get at the moment and probably never would because of the cost involved and the fact that they are "one off" clients and buy stick-ons from Boots or wherever. So - more clients for me!

But - if I did do this (and there is nothing to say i am - I am just thinking ahead) how would you suggest that I keep it seperate from my clients who come regularly and pay for "proper" extensions ? and if I can do these "stick-ons" with perfect prep etc and make them last for 2 weeks with no lifting etc what is to stop my regular clients from saying well what makes mine better than those and have them too?
Also as Sam said in a previous reply with all nail shapes that we deal with I would have to stock zillions of shapes and sizes of every pattern available.

Nah! Surely my hours spent alone at night practicing the flippin' perfect ratio ball and smile line has all got to be worth it - aint it? ;)

Anyways if I have prattled and bored you - Soz!!

:hug: :hug:

Well, all your responses have definitely been interesting and given me something to consider should this brand ever hit our shores - I've looked about but they seem to be limited to the US and New Zealand so far from what I can tell.

Interestingly, the logo is Pro-Impressions' who do sell the great range of art tips over here so, who knows, maybe they are on their way huh!

The image below is of the Prescrition Nails kit - I can only dread to think what it would cost over here but I sure do like the case and nifty little carry bag ;) :lol:!

personalfit.jpg

In answer to Jo:

There are very few clients that would prefer this service to "a proper enhancement". Once a client is addicted to beautiful natural looking extensions, you will never persuade them to have anything else. This service would be for the very few who want a quick fix or who do not get on with the usual enhancements for whatever reason.

In terms of sizes, you would not need hundreds of different sizes any more than you need hundreds of different sizes to fit tips correctly to all the different shapes and widths of nails we see. You use your file to customise each nail - it takes no longer than customising a tip.

Shaping, correct sizing, correct prep and good adhesion (that ensures that they last more than a few days) sets them apart from DIY versions.

And as Geeg says, if you have a customer who wants them - why not.

I counted my customers last night and I have 60 regulars - two of these reguarly have "stick ons" and they love them (funny enough they are sisters). I know the other 58 would be in no way interested in this service as they are happy. So my training in "proper enhancements" is certainly not wasted.

OK so I'm not too sure here, but in response to Jo's post - if your regular clients are ask about these enhancements, I think it would be safe to say that they are not a long-term solution and the products they usually have are longer lasting. If they are regular rebalance clients, maybe they visit every three weeks instead of every two like these enhancements need, then there is the cost involved - I might be wrong but I'm guessing that these enhancements can't be infilled and therefore need to be soaked off and re-applied every visit - this is sure to be more expensive then a regular rebalance - isn't that one of the many advantages we offer as explanation for regular appointments?

Also, (and here I know what I want to say but am not convinced I'm saying it properly - sorry!) each time these enhancements are applied, the whole of the nail plate is subjected to application, whereas with an infill, only the re-growth area is, unless the phantom pinging nails have made another appearance!

Again I'm not sure but I don't think these enhancements are meant to be a long-term solution to clients that want their nails to look a particular way - which is why so many product companies and nail techs are in business! Quick-fixes are OK, but I can't see them taking over the industry! I guess it comes down to what systems and products you already carry and the markets you are working in - you can diversify too much which doesn't help you or your clients, but in some cases having a piece of the pie might just set you apart enough to increase your client base and revenue.

Heck - how boring am I - sorry I will shut up now!

Hollyballoo said:
Well, all your responses have definitely been interesting and given me something to consider should this brand ever hit our shores - I've looked about but they seem to be limited to the US and New Zealand so far from what I can tell.

Interestingly, the logo is Pro-Impressions' who do sell the great range of art tips over here so, who knows, maybe they are on their way huh!

The image below is of the Prescrition Nails kit - I can only dread to think what it would cost over here but I sure do like the case and nifty little carry bag ;) :lol:!

Love the case, but still can't see it catching on the for vast majority. As you say they are already available really as Pro-Impressions.

"1600 Custom Fit Nails Sizes 0-14, 8 variations of arc and curve"
Humm..... So that's 8 boxes of different shaped nails. In my salon I have tips:

Curved - Full & Half well
Square - Full & Half well
French Curve
French Square

All in trays of 450. So that makes - 2700 custom fit tips!!!!

"Expect to fit 100 sets of nails from the starter kit" Presumably that is if nearly every customer has different size and shaped nails. In my experience you use all of the 6s, 5s, and 4s before anything else runs out.

Interested to know what you would use the "Bond Activator" for once you have covered the resin with the nail?

But as a consumer junkie I still love the case :biggrin:

Glynis thankyou for your reply ... I felt really daft when i wrote it and wished i could take it back but all that rubbish was going round in my head and now it isnt lol :) Your response makes perfect sense :hug: and yours too bunny :hug:

*Jo* said:
Glynis thankyou for your reply ... I felt really daft when i wrote it and wished i could take it back but all that rubbish was going round in my head and now it isnt lol :) Your response makes perfect sense :hug: and yours too bunny :hug:

No need to feel "daft" Jo, we are all just expressing our opinions. There is no reason to assume I am right and you are wrong. Its good to have all the different views, keeps us all thinking.

I have had these nails on for almost a year and I love them. Prior to these I had the acrylic. These are thin and comfortable, and my nails under are getting a bit better. I do not think these are for people who have their hands in water a lot of the time, the seem to pop off. They look, and feel real and I have not had a problem with fitting, which is why on the initial visit you schedule your time to fit a person, they then get a card with their "prescription" so after that one time long visit it is a 30-45 minute deal after and you can set up prior to the visit. I have also found my polish to dry quicker also.

Hi peeps

I don't see any harm in the 'system' if offered as express tips and the client has no intention of wearing enhancements for an ongoing period of time.............but as for taking place of our training and experience?????? come on now enough said.......................i know what my worth is as a nail tech and i hope all of you do too, and it's not just a quick 35min stick on service!!!!!:wink2:

I used to buy stick on tips from boots not so long ago when I couldn't do nail art on myself so well. they served their purpose and lasted a while.

If a client wants party nails i just blend in a tip and use a couple of coats of resin, I dont have much demand for these so i think i will carry on with this method rather than buy more stuff.

I don't see any harm with using these nails if you have a demand for them, after all, we are in this to make money as well as good customer service.

I haven't really had any need for the "weekend nails" as i call them, but if the need arises, then i would consider it.

As long as all correct procedures are used, then why not? I personally wouldn't want to have to buy the whole system as they state as you will end up wasting alot of product with it not being used, i would personally go to Proimpressions. I have used their tips in the past and they are good.

I really don't see this being a threat to business, its all healthy competition.

saw them at the last nail show here in aus, they actually looked quite good, but as per usual they look good on good nails, there is no artistic abilty in them at all and they use a glue like gelbond .... but hey, it's not rocket science to do press on tips ..... and it's quite a big setup cost initially, the tips are actually quite amazing, they are the finest tips i have ever seen around the citicle area and they grow out like a well buffed in nail if done and fitted properly, however, i would to too embarrassed to use them, they are such a no brainer

****BUMP*****

Any recent comments/opinions/thoughts on prescription nails now??

Thanks!

I stand by my previous comments, but it is a little sad seeing people in here often desperately striving for artistic talent/acceptance and pride in their work, to be confronted with such a back to basics system.

Why on earth shouldn't a salon offer this type of quick service for those that want it?

Isn't that what we are in business for to offer a choice of services to our clients ... their choice sometimes and not just ours?

These nails won't suit all clients and their lifestyles anymore than any other service suits all clients and their lifestyles but it will suit some, perhaps many, and if there is a good return on your investment and you make money, why the hell not?

Pretty much my feeling.
IF the tech is formerly trained in another system and KNOWS how to do a proper prep etc, and a client is looking for something fast/easy/cheap/temporary...... why not?
Why not have the service as an add-on? I know of many techs on another site that do have these as an 'add-on'.
Now, while I would myself prefer to do party nails with resin for a better look and could do it just as fast...
This is easier for some.

I see no harm in it ASSUMING a tech does a thorough prep.
People choose McDonalds over good family restaurants some nights because they're short on time, and no one's up in arms.

I cannot believe the rubbish you lot are saying on here!!!!! Have you ever tried these nails??? No, I dont think any of you have, how dare you comment on a subject you know nothing about. Really I would think that informed Nail techs like yourselves would actually research and try something before you jump on your bandwagon with stupid comments. How many ppl do you know that acrylics have wrecked their nails??? How many people do you know that gel has peeled off???? Every single system that you all use will damage the nail.... we all know it is the Nail techs professionalism and her own ability to make sure a client is well looked after, no matter what system she uses!!!!! And after all if these nails cause greenies how come the anti-fungal treatments have been around for far longer than this system. Dont tell me that greenies are only associated with these nails.........I am dissappointed in you all!!!!! Think about what you say before you open your mouths. If you actually want some factual information on this system ask me.......

Latest posts

Back