Is this true?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrogers

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I'm just looking for someone to put an end to me wondering. As you probably know i've just opened my own salon in Cardiff and at the moment Tans and Full Body Scrubs are flying out! The only thing is im yet to find a really good exfoliator except the st tropez one but then im using half a bottle per client which is costing me a fortune at £15 a pot! I've just read an article on a beaut site saying that white sugar and either an almond oil or olive oil can do the same thing!!! i can remeber mixing a dermalogica product with oil in college but i know it wasnt sugar!!! i just wanted your opinions really and it would be great to hear from anyone who has tried this method of exfoliation. Cant wiat to read your feedback! Thanks in advance. xx

I've used a mix of white sugar and olive oil as an exfoliator and it's just great. Try it on yourself before using it on clients, but I think you'll find it's ok.

Jackie

Why you using half a bottle? You only need a couple of pumps for each leg and rub it in well and spread it about.

The Dermalogica hydro active mineral salts are great to mix with oil and use, brilliant exfoliator. I use an exfoliator from Gerards which comes in a huge tub and you only need a scoop or two, mixed with a bit of oil, for a whole body. Its lovely. Failing that, Ellisons Priadara range has a really nice oriental scrub, which really "gets in there". Hth

Why you using half a bottle? You only need a couple of pumps for each leg and rub it in well and spread it about.
Surely you're not using 1/2 a salon size bottle?
If you're using retail sizes, try to get an account with St Tropez. Your salon treatments will be much more cost effective and you'll be entitled to training that shows you how to get the most from your product.

what about salt and massage oil (the salt you put in a salt mill not the fine stuff in packets)

Try the Nature's Way exfoliator for a cheaper alternative, i've found this was nice.

I wouldnt use an olive oil/sugar scrub before a tan - it will effect the tan by creating a layer of oil acting like a barrier.

Stay with the st.tropez scrub - its fab.

It does sound like your using a retail size scrub if your using that amount per body.

I've tried out quite a few exfoliators and found that I like one from Boots' - Natural collection (White Musk smell) and it comes in a plastic tub with a vacum seal lid. It's about £5 and I can do 2 full bodies from it.
I'm off to experiment with the sugar/olive oil method.......I'm liking the idea of possibly 'customising' it to suit the client, by adding a couple of drops of essential oil.
Much Cheapness !!!!!!!!!:)

I wouldnt use an olive oil/sugar scrub before a tan - it will effect the tan by creating a layer of oil acting like a barrier.

Stay with the st.tropez scrub - its fab.

It does sound like your using a retail size scrub if your using that amount per body.

This is spot on, any massage oil can leave a barrier and stop the tan from developing properly so using olive oil, essential oils etc the client would need to shower and towel dry their skin well to ensure nothing is left on the skin.

Thank you all for your feedback!! Yes i have been using the retail sizes of tan and exfoliator. Sorry i forgot to say that!! haha
Yes all of my clients shower after the exfoliator as im lucky enough to have a shower in my beauty room. I would be really interested to hear what you think if you try out this method in the future. Thank you all for your alternative options. Im going to buy them all!! lol

Hiya

A BIG NO NO, OIL BEFORE TAN
YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR TAN

Be careful not to spoil your clients tan

good luck

you will have the best advise there is on this site

I would only use the oil a few days prior to tan

Jenx

Latest posts

Back