Just can't do it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadisonsMummy

Reaction score
Hiya all,

I have rescently started a new job in a salon! im C&G level 2 qualified (with all but 1 distinction unit passes!!:o) which i completed last year! I sort of worked from home after i finished with a few loyal clients (i was in a position that my husband said t wasnt practicle at the time for me to try and get a salon job) just doing mainly mani's, pedi's, eye treatments. i did it more because i loved it than for the money! then 2 or so months ago i was given an oppertunity at a salon, the girl who owns it is lovely, everyones friendly and its a beautiful salon.
but...
Im having major trouble with waxing:mad:
It is really frustrating me!! It is like I know i can do it! I have done it! But i freeze when im refreshing with my boss! The thing is I dont know if its just because its with her and im desperate not to let her down! I fully understand that she wont allow me to work on her client while im still having this problem, which if i was in her position i wouldnt either.
I just dont know what i can do to get past this mental block! when we have been refresher training she said that i go to do the right thing then question myself and stop! I have the knowledge, i know how to wax...i just dont seem to let myself do it! its really getting me down.
I think its my confidence levels have really taken a bashing, I was really posting for some advice on getting back in to it!
I do feel a bit silly now ive read what ive written, im not the most articulate of people I just feel a bit lost:sad:

Thanks

xxx

Hiya all,

I have rescently started a new job in a salon! im C&G level 2 qualified (with all but 1 distinction unit passes!!:o) which i completed last year! I sort of worked from home after i finished with a few loyal clients (i was in a position that my husband said t wasnt practicle at the time for me to try and get a salon job) just doing mainly mani's, pedi's, eye treatments. i did it more because i loved it than for the money! then 2 or so months ago i was given an oppertunity at a salon, the girl who owns it is lovely, everyones friendly and its a beautiful salon.
but...
It is really frustrating me!! It is like I know i can do it! I have done it! But i freeze when im refreshing with my boss! The thing is I dont know if its just because its with her and im desperate not to let her down! I fully understand that she wont allow me to work on her client while im still having this problem, which if i was in her position i wouldnt either.
I just dont know what i can do to get past this mental block! when we have been refresher training she said that i go to do the right thing then question myself and stop! I have the knowledge, i know how to wax...i just dont seem to let myself do it! its really getting me down.
I think its my confidence levels have really taken a bashing, I was really posting for some advice on getting back in to it!
I do feel a bit silly now ive read what ive written, im not the most articulate of people I just feel a bit lost:sad:

Thanks

xxx

Hi MadisonsMummy - dont think about it - just do it. You are qualified, you have the knowledge and you know how to wax.

Can you not practise on a good friend or maybe one of your ex-students from college? Your boss seems to be very understanding. Have you checked on you tube for kim lawless - there are some of her demos on there.
Goo luck chick hth x

oh bless you!!! I really feel for you. so what can you do to help yourself feel more confident?

you could

re train, go and do a refresher course.

you could ask your boss if she would arrange tons and tons of models for you?

It seems to me that you have it locked inside you, you just need to let it out!

sometimes you have to feel the fear and do it anyway.

tigi
xxx

When you say you are freezing what do you mean? That you fail to carry out the wax or are messing up the treatment in some other way?

Jacqui xx

THanks Deb!
Tigi, I think im just going to hound my friends to practice on,
Ive managed to sweet talk my mum and sister in to being models and my boss is VERY understanding (I'm lucky she's so lovely really!!):)
http://www.salongeek.com/members/jacquelineanna.htmljaquelineanna Freezing I literally freeze!!! I stand there and start questionong myself!!:grr: I honestly dont know why!!! when i think about it after i feel really stupid because im like 'i know what to do...why wont you do it!!!!' my boss actually said to me when she doesnt give me time to think im great, i just do it!
as i said im going to practice and practice and try and just break this stupid barrier. I felt so down about it last night, then i wrote on here then i looked at the videos on youtube of kim lawless (my gosh she's fantastic!!!!) so i am feeling a bit more positive today!!
Thanks

xxx

whereabouts in cheshire are you Madisonsmum, as a trainer maybe I can help you sort out your issues?

Joe90 im in Chester. :)

Joe90 im in Chester. :)

I met Joe90 in person on my MYscara course and she is absolutely lovely.

Approachable and very professional.

Secondly, I must add that your good self has waxed me and I really don't know what you are worrying about.

Considering you were using my products in my room so not what you are used to and out of your comfort zone, the treatment itself fine. Minimal pain felt and I had NO hair.

Your waxing my legs actually was the best I've had as I've always suffered with ingrown hair what with shaving from a young age and then being used as a guinea pig in college.

We all have to start somewhere but I always got paired with the students who just couldn't get to grips with it.

I didn't like it because it was never done 'properly'.

Once, in college a fellow student used me for her Bikini assessment and I had to be held down because I wanted to lash out. Not intentionally, just reaction to the severe pain that she put me through. She made me scream as she nearly took a skin tag I have off and yet my dear ol' tutor told me to stop being a wuss! The girl in question was her grandaughter or grandneice or something like that.

It was actually as painful as labour and I have been put off having bikini done ever since. I would love to because it's so clean and lasts long but am terrified.

I think the only time I would is if I had enough money to travel down to Kim Lawless or across to Andy or Jack. I'm not sure if they only wax males but I would pay treble to get them to break that policy for me.

H x

Hi Hun,

I've no advise for you but wanted to let you know that your not alone!!

I still get nervous and go blank when waxing my old boss and I've had my own treatment room for over a year!!!

I've come to the conclusion that this is how I'll always be with her!!! If you find a cure let me know :) xx

Take a deep breath and keep telling yourself it's not brain surgery! I'm not belittling good therapists but take some pressure off yourself and have a bit of a giggle with it. Look at those little spiky/curly buggers and enjoy ripping them out! I also show people the strip or wax after and ask if I can make a rug, may not be professional but it breaks the ice and shows them I am getting them out. I don't do waxing except for friends and im ok at it, not the best, not the worst) but theykeep asking me so I can't be that bad! :)

Hiya all,

but...

Thanks

xxx

I can be a guinea pig for you if you like Hun?
Give you some tips along the way?!

Haha just realised the day of the first post..... I guess you're maybe fine with waxing bow? Lol
Well if you do still need a guinea pig anyway PM me! :)

Haha just realised the day of the first post..... I guess you're maybe fine with waxing bow? Lol
Well if you do still need a guinea pig anyway PM me! :)

Lol, hope she's got it Sussed by now :)

Just thinking....waxing is one of the few treatments that CAN be associated with pain.
Maybe you're empathising with the client too much?
Just tell yourself that not only they have chosen to have it done, but also you are so good that the discomfort will be minimal.

Jees I am so behind in the times!! Thanks Geeks!! I am actually ok now:lol: Just getting back in to it was pretty hard! I think it was empathy but I just had to start believing that I am a good waxer:) and I wasnt hurting people, they wanted a wax and knew it isnt always pain free;)
Thanks for all the replys! Really appriciated!
MM

xx

Jees I am so behind in the times!! Thanks Geeks!! I am actually ok now:lol: Just getting back in to it was pretty hard! I think it was empathy but I just had to start believing that I am a good waxer:) and I wasnt hurting people, they wanted a wax and knew it isnt always pain free;)
Thanks for all the replys! Really appriciated!
MM

xx

You're alive!!!

She's alive.

You really need to get on here more!

Latest posts

Back