Just had my legs waxed.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Shed

Reaction score
.....for the 3rd time and am still not impressed. Can you please advise ladies?

Hiya, I am not a beauty therapist, but a nail technician, so have no idea which is why I am asking you ladies. I had my legs waxed after growing the hair for 6 weeks as advised by my local salon the 1st time and I didn't expect the 1st time to be perfect and it wasn't. So I still had shorter hairs on my legs. The second time I went (6 weeks after the 1st) I still had the same result and then again the 3rd time (6 weeks later again...this morning).

Am I deluded in expecting smooth legs? And how long do they usually stay smooth for? If this is what waxing is then I shall be going back to shaving as I have full time hairy legs now and can't deal with this in the summer whilst wearing shorts and skirts!!!

Any help please...

P.S. The hairs aren't as thick now, but they are still noticeable as I have dark hair and it feels a bit better, not bristly, but still hairy! lol!

Hi I am at college training in beauty therapy and have covered waxing,
In my first weeks of waxing I was dissapointed with the results on some of my clients legs and my tutor said it comes with practice and experiance, 7 months on i am pleased with the results and so are my clients.
Is your therapist pre waxing and applying the wax properly, some hairs can break if the strip is not removed properly and you cant wax over a second time.
Also after 48 hours try using a body brush every time u bath or shower as this encourages the hairs to stand up so waxing is a little easier and prevents the hair from ingrowing.
Maybe you have ingrowing hairs and when the wax is applied and removed the ingrowing hairs are then released and it is these that you are feeling.

As mentioned by Pinky, if the wax strips are not removed correctly, then this can result in the hair been broken at skin level (equivalent of shaving really) rather than the entire hair shaft being removed.

It could also be down to the wax being not warm enough and/or the wax being applied to thickly or hairy areas being missed altogether.

If you are not happy with the results, then you really should notify the salon and perhaps politely bring this to the attention of the therapist in charge. If a client in my salon was less than happy with a service, I would want to know so the problem could be rectified.

Hey hunny it taks roughly 4 waxings (4-6wks apart) before the hairs start growing at the same rates. I always recommend waxing every 4wks instead of 6 at first as i find this gets the hairs into a rhythm faster.

It takes time and we are all different keep going with it and you will start to notice the difference in the next few waxes. Then once they start growing together you will be able to leave it up to 6 weeks you won't regret it.

xxx

Dont be upset about the result. I know you expected silky smooth legs and by right, thats what you should have had! However, saying that there are a number of factors that could have hindered 'silky smooth' legs.

Did the therapist use the entire wax strip to remove the hair? Sometimes when the entire length of the strip is used (to save treatment time) it breaks the hair whilst trying to remove it. Personally, I dont use the whole length of the strip in one go...

Try waxing in 4 week cycles instead of every 6 weeks. I find you get better result with this time spand.

Is it the same Therapist that is waxing you when you go or different ones? Just let the salon know in a nice way - perhaps pop in and let them see what you are talking about. If you dont tell them whats happening, and if its their fault, it would be repeated with other clients!:hug:

hair grows in cycles as mentioned above, I always tell this to my waxing clients as they too think after the first wax they should be hair free for 6 weeks! This is not the case.

If your legs are hair free right after the treatment, your therapist is not doing anything wrong apart from not explaining hair growth to you

It can take anywhere from 4-6 waxes, every 4 weeks, to achieve smooth legs. Stick with it, it will happen. But go in every 4 weeks instead of six, you will get better results.

Hi - In addition to the above comments, I usually find that clients who have been shaving tend to have more resistant hair and usually it is more dense. This will improve over time - do not be disheartened. :)

I would have recommended a wax no longer than 4 weeks from the initial treatment. Plus I'd have warned you that due to hair growth occuring in different stages, there would be hairs just under the skin which would start to come through within days. Also, each time you are waxed, you are damaging the root, so regular waxing over a period of time can reduce regrowth. I think you need to give it time and possibly reduce the length of time you have your waxing done to 4 weeks initially as already said and see how that goes. Besides, compare the result to shaving and I think you'll agree which comes out tops.
Claire x

I know it sounds a bit daft but if you still have hairs on your legs after waxing shave your legs to encourage the hair to grow through a bit thicker, its the soft downy hairs that are missed or break off during waxing and by encouraging the hairs that are left to grow a bit quicker you can get them waxed off sooner.

Not sure if that makes sense to everyone but I do that for a few waxes until the hairs are growing through together or if they get baby soft and break before getting pulled out.

I have been getting my legs waxed for years and years now, still have to have them done every four weeks in the summer.

I am not that hairy but they are dark and show up quite clearly. I leave it every 6 weeks in the winter as I am rarely out of jeans and being with hubs for over 20 years now he doesnt notice whether I am hairy or not these days. :)

I agree.............4wks for my clients too. xxx

Waxing ,of course may not be for you if you always want to remain hairfree.
People often think that they are going to remain totally hairfree for about 4-6 weeks but thats the time it needs doing again.in the best cases totally hair free will probably only be for 2 weeks then you will get patchy growth and have to wait till its long enough and through to get it done again.
Its then that people will often shave because they are going out or on a hot date look at your lifestyle to determine whether it is going to be for you at the moment.

i may be reading this thread wrong its a bit late, you legs may not be perfectly smooth after you first start waxing as mentioned already, but i certainly wouldn't expect them to be hairy still, after growing them for 6 weeks i would expect that you would get a pretty good result. are the hairs that are left definately growing out, i know i have a couple of clients that really have to work extra hard at their exfoliation as they may get the odd hair thats too soft to break through.
Just sounds strange as with the hair grown to that degree i wouldn't be sending someone out with hairy legs, jmo x

Thanks for your replies. They are definately still hairy when I leave, just nowhere near as much as when I walked in. As I said earlier I didn't expect them to be perfect after the 1st or even the 2nd times, but I thought by the 3rd there would be a BIG improvement. I'll give it another go and then make up my mind what I'm going to do. Thanks

If you are walking out of the salon with hairs still present i'd say it was the fault of the therapist....When i wax, if i miss hairs i remove them with tweezers, my clients don't have hairs left!

Sometimes i've had hairs grow through quicker than other times, but that depends what stage of growth the hair is in.

I'd go to a different salon and see how you get on with someone else. and i'd definately suggest 4 weekly waxing, for a while at least.

If you are walking out of the salon with hairs still present i'd say it was the fault of the therapist....When i wax, if i miss hairs i remove them with tweezers, my clients don't have hairs left!

Sometimes i've had hairs grow through quicker than other times, but that depends what stage of growth the hair is in.

I'd go to a different salon and see how you get on with someone else. and i'd definately suggest 4 weekly waxing, for a while at least.

I have to disagree with this statement. It is common knowledge that someone new to waxing is going to have hairs that are just stubble or still just under the surface, after they have been waxed the first 4-6 times. It doesn't necessesarily mean the therapist is at fault. Also, some areas of our legs rub against our clothing which can cause broken hairs.

I for one do not sit there and tweeze after waxing. I'll go back and tweeze any long strays that the wax should have picked up, but I am not going to sit there and tweeze hairs that aren't ready to be waxed yet. I just explain to them it's a process and eventually they aren't going to have the stubble problem.

I have to disagree with this statement. It is common knowledge that someone new to waxing is going to have hairs that are just stubble or still just under the surface, after they have been waxed the first 4-6 times. It doesn't necessesarily mean the therapist is at fault. Also, some areas of our legs rub against our clothing which can cause broken hairs.

I for one do not sit there and tweeze after waxing. I'll go back and tweeze any long strays that the wax should have picked up, but I am not going to sit there and tweeze hairs that aren't ready to be waxed yet. I just explain to them it's a process and eventually they aren't going to have the stubble problem.

I agree.When i have someone in that is new i can tell whether they are going to be smooth or not before i even start by running my hands up their legs.You can feel short bristle.
I then tell them it is going to be a work in progress and what to do as aftercare.
Also i explain that they will have to have a period of growth and lets be honest that is not for everyone, some people like to remain hairless and whip the razor over everyday in which case waxing isnt for them.
There is nothing worse than constantly battling with someone that is shaving or using cream inbetween when you need to get them to a stage where they are only waxing so if they are not up for it then its better they dont bother.

Latest posts

Back