Just ripped my nail off!!!! Need advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne P

Reaction score
ok the title says it all but OUCH!!
i have no idea how but i tipped my nail off a drawer and somehow half of my nail came clean off! i barely touched it like im in shock! :grr:
Anyways i ran cold water over it for ages but the bleeding wouldnt stop so i just dressed it tightly to try stop it.
Now its killing me, its just throbbing!!
I'll prob have to leave it a day or so to calm down but is there anything i can do for it then? to cover it or should i just leave it to grow back up??
I have sculpted gels on now.
thanks anyone :cry::cry:

ok the title says it all but OUCH!!
i have no idea how but i tipped my nail off a drawer and somehow half of my nail came clean off! i barely touched it like im in shock! :grr:
Anyways i ran cold water over it for ages but the bleeding wouldnt stop so i just dressed it tightly to try stop it.
Now its killing me, its just throbbing!!
I'll prob have to leave it a day or so to calm down but is there anything i can do for it then? to cover it or should i just leave it to grow back up??
I have sculpted gels on now.
thanks anyone :cry::cry:

owwww that sounds so painful! u might be best going to the hospital or doctors to check that you havent done any permenant damage!!!
I hope it starts to feel better soon xxx:confused:

it really is painful! and ive someone coming over for a set of nails shortly, i warned her it could take awhile but her xmas party is tomoro so ill have to soldier on!!
god dya think so? i hope i havent, i still cant understand how i did it, like i barely touched it, its just one if them freaky things i guess! i had my gloves on cos i was just leaving work and when i did it i thought "ouch that hurt".. so took off the gloves...
nasty nasty nasty.... :(

Hi Abbi

Sorry to hear that you've hurt yourself. :hug:

From what I've read on the net most say that it will be painfull for a few days and that it is recommended that you keep it clean and dressed. And not have enhancements till it grows to a length that an enhancement won't cause damage if pulled at again. Keep a regular check on it as nasties can cause infection causing permanent damage. Do keep away from moisture and change dressing if you get it wet. Try to use gloves when doing household chores and doing nails. Btw from experience, I split a nail half way down, it could take up to a year for your nail to be strong and healthy again.

I hope this helps and that it feels better soon.

Last edited:
OOuch!! sending your finder some get well soon wishes x

Abbi

Just read your post, your poor thing sounds so painful. I hope that it is feeling better and that you managed your Client yesterday ok.:)

J

Awh thanks for all the nice comments.. I'll pass all your well wishes onto my poor lil finger! :hug:
so we think im best to just keep it wrapped up for awhile and not put anything in it?

At least till it heals and shows regrowth. Don't forget any pockets of air and moisture can cause the greenies or other nasty infections so yes wrapping it up would be your best bet for now.

yeah i think your right, just moving into a new house and theres dust everywhere too so ill keep it well wrapped!
thanks everyone xx

Dont wrap it. Clean it with scrubfresh, (if open the scrubfresh will sting like hell, but it will remove any pathogens etc to help healing) apply some nail adhesive like gelbond, then carefully, if possible, sculpt a very short free edge. Make sure you keep it no longer than the end of your finger. Thats what I do if I cause that sort of damage to my nail.

Last edited:
Dont wrap it. Clean it with scrubfresh, (if open the scrubfresh will sting like hell, but it will remove any pathogens etc to help healing) apply some nail adhesive like gelbond, then carefully, if possible, sculpt a very short free edge. Make sure you keep it no longer than the end of your finger. Thats what I do if I cause that sort of damage to my nail.

really?? i took off the bandage last night to clean it and the pain was awful! its just completely raw, after seeing it again i cant imagine putting anything until it at least grows up enough to cover the exposed nail bed.. i just cleaned it and put some antibiotic powder, the stuff is great so that should kill anything and dry it out.
thanks for the advice though:hug:

I'd strictly use Peroxide to cleanse the wound (no scrub fresh or anything else with alcohol in it as it would be terribly painful) and Polysporin or another antibiotic salve on it and keep it wrapped in gauze (poly salve under so the gauze doesn't stick to the wound.) Gauze or a bandage of some sort is vital to keep dirt, germs and bacteria out of the wound and to offer a protective barrier.

Hope it feels better soon :hug:

(poly salve under so the gauze doesn't stick to the wound.) Gauze or a bandage of some sort is vital to keep dirt, germs and bacteria out of the wound and to offer a protective barrier.

Hope it feels better soon :hug:

the bandage got stuck to it the other day! nightmare getting it off! i'll try that so! thanks a mil :hug:

really?? i took off the bandage last night to clean it and the pain was awful! its just completely raw, after seeing it again i cant imagine putting anything until it at least grows up enough to cover the exposed nail bed.. i just cleaned it and put some antibiotic powder, the stuff is great so that should kill anything and dry it out.
thanks for the advice though:hug:
yes really. It has worked for me anytime I have broken a nail eg:
grafxgal-albums-nail+related+photos-picture23178-should-more-careful-when-getting-excited.jpg

A week after this picture was taken (30/9/09) my nails were fine, no pain and slowly growing back. It's grown back so well that I have shortened it several times since.

This is excellent advice. Gelbond is a medical grade adhesive and will close the wound and enable you to clean it, allow to dry thoroughly, then sculpt as Sheryl suggests.

I have done this on my fingers & on my big toe - this summer I managed to rip half of my big toe nail off half way up the nail bed - it was bleeding quite alot.
I scrubfreshed it lots and cleaned the area with the scrubfresh, then sculpted my toe nail back all within 30mins of the accident - voila! No pain, no infection - nice looking nail.

Thorough cleaning of the raw area, drying it out and then covering with a medical grade adhesive like CND Gelbond or Solar Seale will make an effective bandage. You can then cap the wound lightly as suggested with L&P (the pain will instantly go away) until the area has repaired itself.

I too have done this more than a few times and never once had any negative effect from it on anyone. The important thing is clean and dry before you cap the nail.

Thanks Gigi, i dont use l&p but i assume id be ok to do the same with gel?
Its grown quite a bit over the past week and ive kept cleaning it and wrapping it up.
I'm going out tonite for my bday so i'd like it to look decent! I'll try cap it when i get home, just something short and neat but then i can put a bit of glitter on it to distract :)
thanks everyone x

Thanks Gigi, i dont use l&p but i assume id be ok to do the same with gel?
Its grown quite a bit over the past week and ive kept cleaning it and wrapping it up.
I'm going out tonite for my bday so i'd like it to look decent! I'll try cap it when i get home, just something short and neat but then i can put a bit of glitter on it to distract :)
thanks everyone x

My only concern with gel is the heat on a very exposed nail bed. Just be careful and do a few thin layers!! :hug:

I did this yesterday, ripped it off half way down my nail bed and it's soo sore. It bled and weeped on and off yesterday so will be leaving it a couple of days before I try to fix it to make sure it's healed over, otherwise it'll be a trip to the gp.

Good advice though, so thanks from me aswell.

Latest posts

Back