Kids climbing over mum while having a treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Manicure

Reaction score
I am a mobile nail tech and as such have many clients with small children who can't get to a salon. Unfortunately most of the time these children are present when I am carrying out a service, crying, screaming for attention, climbing all over their mums while I'm trying to do my job.

I feel like tearing my hair out but carry on smiling. I have children myself, so I know why this is happening, the children realise I'm taking mummy's attention and the don't like it. I am at a loss as it affects my work. If mummy can't stay still while I apply Gelish it becomes a mess and takes twice as long.

I have tried chatting to the children, encouraging them to go and fetch their favourite toy or book to show me but they just want to climb on mummy.
One mummy once jumped up to wipe toddlers bottom after he'd been on the potty. I had applied one coat of Gelish colour at this stage and had to start again.

What's a polite way of dealing with this without offending the client.

I usually say to my clients something along the line of..."ok, I'm ready to apply your gel now, so would you like to make sure your children are settled before we start? since once I begin you won't have a chance until I'm completely finished" usually works fine. I still ge the odd mom that want's to start and stop the appointment...but I say " it will be faster for you and your children if I just continue with the service and will result in a better service fo you" I don't give in unless someone is hurt obviously :)

I know exactly where you are coming from,i recently had a child knock my big box of 150+ nails tips all over the floor :eek:

I have also had a child sat on mums knee pulling her finger away when i was trying to apply acrylic to it.

What's a polite way of dealing with this without offending the client.
Just tell them straight; you may be mobile but you are offering a professional service. You're also working with lots of different professional-use chemicals and it's not appropriate for children to be hanging around these. What would happen if they spilled them?

It does seem more difficult when you're in someone elses house but this is YOUR business. Take control :)

Sorry but this is wasting your products and you still offer a professional service even in their home. Make it clear, that pets or children need to be supervised or out of the room when you do a treatment , I love kids and animals but they are unpredictable and I always ask that they are not within the immediate vicinity due to health and safety and any danger of your (could trip over the wire of your lamp, spill products,, etc) products if their is an accident or spillage.

I usually say to my clients something along the line of..."ok, I'm ready to apply your gel now, so would you like to make sure your children are settled before we start? since once I begin you won't have a chance until I'm completely finished" usually works fine. I still ge the odd mom that want's to start and stop the appointment...but I say " it will be faster for you and your children if I just continue with the service and will result in a better service fo you" I don't give in unless someone is hurt obviously :)

Most of these kids are between 1 and 3. They're not going to settle for an hour. It's a nightmare. :irked::irked:

I don't really think there is a solution to be honest, just needed a rant.

I usually have no problems with kids, but mothers cooperate :). I do not like kids except my own :D yet I manage to keep calm even when they bother mummy.
I talk to them, explain a lot, and when I need them to stay away during painting, they always do - I let them to "help" - they turn the lamp on for example. They get some stuff they can touch - color wheels - they name the colors, choose one for mummy etc Somehow we manage to cooperate, I had nothing broken.
Of course there is an age, when no cooperation is possible, but kids at that age are always taken care of - mothers want to relax as well, not to have the nails done in a middle of storm.

One client alised what a nightmare it ws and told me that she would have her little darling either in nursery or with the nanny when I next come.

Three weeks later I knock on the door and look who's there. "the nanny's gone out to run some errands and I kept him off nursery today as he has a runny nose". Which I then had to wipe continuously, re- sanitise my hands, back to work, kid screaming, me getting migraine. :Scared:

I usually have no problems with kids, but mothers cooperate :). I do not like kids except my own :D yet I manage to keep calm even when they bother mummy.
I talk to them, explain a lot, and when I need them to stay away during painting, they always do - I let them to "help" - they turn the lamp on for example. They get some stuff they can touch - color wheels - they name the colors, choose one for mummy etc Somehow we manage to cooperate, I had nothing broken.
Of course there is an age, when no cooperation is possible, but kids at that age are always taken care of - mothers want to relax as well, not to have the nails done in a middle of storm.

Yes, the older kids, from age 4 are no bother, I can manage to keep them happy and busy, it's the 1 to 3 year olds I cant cope with.

How lovely..not only does the child have 'germ carrying potential' to cause you time off work if you go down with it,but you have to wipe the nose too??? Good grief!!

What is your job title?

Nanny? Nursery nurse? Teacher? OR Therapist

You are there to do a service not look after the kids. I am mobile and I always ask that there be someone there to take care of the children as I have other clients and my time is limited. I can't be stopping and starting or reaplying gel becuase the client has children that need seeing to all the time.

I am a mum of 4 so totally understand that kids are curious and want mummy etc... but if she wants her nails done or her Minx applied or her tan done then the kids must be looked after during the appointment.

I often offer later evening appiontments to those clients that are single mums or don't have much help available for looking after the children, this way the kids are in bed and we can get the service done in peace. I would prefer to go out at 9pm and do a treatment than to go out at 7 and have a nightmare because of the kids playing up.

I have a (nearly) 2 year old and i wouldnt dream of booking any kind of treatment while he was running around with no one else here. It would be a miracle if he stayed occupied for a hour+ without wanting to touch any nail things.
Thankfully the situation has only happened to me once or twice when it has really interrupted things and thats only because the clients husbands were meant to be home but are running late etc. I think the only thing you can do is what EmJZ said, Before you start applying product ask them if there is anything they need to do, its like saying you wont be able to pick your kids up and have them jump all over you - but in a nice way :)

What is your job title?

Nanny? Nursery nurse? Teacher? OR Therapist

You are there to do a service not look after the kids. I am mobile and I always ask that there be someone there to take care of the children as I have other clients and my time is limited. I can't be stopping and starting or reaplying gel becuase the client has children that need seeing to all the time.

I am a mum of 4 so totally understand that kids are curious and want mummy etc... but if she wants her nails done or her Minx applied or her tan done then the kids must be looked after during the appointment.

I often offer later evening appiontments to those clients that are single mums or don't have much help available for looking after the children, this way the kids are in bed and we can get the service done in peace. I would prefer to go out at 9pm and do a treatment than to go out at 7 and have a nightmare because of the kids playing up.

I cant do evenings anymore. I'm now a single mum with my own kids so can't get out in the evenings. I will stipulate about children needing to be supervised by another adult. Or perhaps talk her into having a friend round with her kids so they can take turns in having nails done and looking after the kids.

Most of these kids are between 1 and 3. They're not going to settle for an hour. It's a nightmare. :irked::irked:

I don't really think there is a solution to be honest, just needed a rant.

you could book her next appointment while kiddies are having nap time. That usually works out pretty good timing wise.

I think it is really important to emphasize, in writing and in advance of the appointment, that you are dealing with potentially dangerous chemicals and implements. While you can bring along some books and colour wheels to entertain a child, that is really not your responsibility. You need to couch this as a safety issue, not an etiquette/courtesy one (although it is obviously both). Make it clear that you will not endanger a child, their mother or yourself. Stop the treatment if you have to until the parent resolves the situation. Think about the insurance issue. If something happened to a child because s/he was playing around your acetone or clippers or efile, would your insurance cover it? Or would they consider you negligent for allowing a child near your stuff?

I work from a hair salon. Some mothers I feel sorry for, if their baby sitter let them down so they had no choice but to bring their kids. But its the mothers who think Im the baby sitter so they can get their hair done who annoy me. Ive heard some getting blow dries saying 'Go over and play with the nail stuff' whilst Im with clients :mad:. I just say nice and calmly, 'Sorry you can't come over here, some of these products can be dangerous'. (Then secretly give the kids a look which says 'come over here and I'll poke your eye out with my cuticle pusher).

What type of cuticle pusher do you recommend for this? I only have a standard one. I hope it will do the job. :wink2:

I feel for you there's nothing worse! I went to do a friend shellac man and ped and then a shellac man for her friend, I was there so long as they both had two children each and then another two they were looking after. Half way through, the parents of the other two turned up and brought another two! Ah I had four adults and 6 of the 8 children in the room watching, let's just say I'm glad I had a bottle in the fridge waiting for my return!! X

I have a little section on my website saying that my tools, implements and producs can be hazardous to children and pets (because hyper dogs are a nightmare too) and 'as well as not wanting them to injure themselves, I will charge for any damage'... that usually puts them off!!

I have one lady who I have to book TWO HOURS out for a rebalance, because her 1 year old won't leave her alone. She lets the child sit on the table/on her lap, and reach over to my stuff, she makes the kid lunch etc half way through an appointment so I have to start again (smudged and dented acrylic, who manages that?!!)... and then laughs when I say 'no sweetie you can't touch that'. Frustrates me no end and as much as I love kids, I just want to kick that nuisance client in the shin!!!

xx

One client alised what a nightmare it ws and told me that she would have her little darling either in nursery or with the nanny when I next come.

Three weeks later I knock on the door and look who's there. "the nanny's gone out to run some errands and I kept him off nursery today as he has a runny nose". Which I then had to wipe continuously, re- sanitise my hands, back to work, kid screaming, me getting migraine. :Scared:
I wouldn't wipe someone else's snotty nosed kid lol
I'd be worried that the insurance wouldn't cover little children harming themselves with dangerous chemicals! I think I'll make it clear that very small children (under school age) should be supervised by someone else whilst I'm doing treatments x

Latest posts

Back