L+P Brush - stopping contamination

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to give my brush a shampoo and set (lol) and see what happens..... I've got a new one on order, so have a fall-back!

I only ever clean in monomer, wipe dry (rather than squeezing all the monomer out) and cover with a cut-off pipette..... I think I'll cut a hole in the end of my pipette and dry my brush out more when I've finished working.

Thanks all :)
The EZFlow 508 brush cap fits beautifully on an Ultra Sculptor if anyone has one going begging! I haven't got a spare at the mo but I'll give you a shout next time I get a new 508.

Vetty, were you thinking of this thread? Its not exactly about contaminated brushes, but yes both Gigi and Carl discussing a good old shampoo doing no harm!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/41951-another-brush-cleaning-question-sorry.html

Yep, that was one I had in mind. Thanks!

The EZFlow 508 brush cap fits beautifully on an Ultra Sculptor if anyone has one going begging! I haven't got a spare at the mo but I'll give you a shout next time I get a new 508.

Cheers hun, that'll be great!

Thanks to all, you've been a great help!

I've killed my brush. Its the pro styler I go when I did my training, and because it was my first and it got lots of abuse, its died after about 2 months. The bristles have flayed out at the end, and the tip is curled, I think because I've stored it on its tip at some point. I'll get another when creative open again, but I need to keep using it in the meantime, fortunately I dont charge yet, I'm still practising, but the last nails I did with it were awful. I've soaked it in monomer and tried to "train" the bristles back with a lint free pad, but it hasnt completely worked. Do you think I could cut the curled end off and one or 2 stray bristles, or should I leave the scissors alone and try something else :confused:

if you wanna cut the end off use nail clippers that way you'll get a straight cut.......
gotta be better than a curly end!!!!
couldnt do anything with that!!! lol:lol:

I actually had this happening aswell and i layed my brush on a pad and dripped some acetone over it to get the yellow streaks out. I did this two times on two following days and i got rid of the yellow stain. I kept it stored downwards since it has a protective casing around. I placed it one time the wrong way " hairs pointing upwards" + not using it frequently on top of that it happened to me for those reasons i guess. Since i didn,t left it soaking in acetone the hairs of my brush are still perfectly fine.

If you are VERY gentle you can use a WARM/semi Hot hair staightener to flatten out the flags on your brush. just wash out any monomer first with shampoo.. make sure the brush is dry and gently flatten it with the iron.. then soak it in monomer again.

If you are VERY gentle you can use a WARM/semi Hot hair staightener to flatten out the flags on your brush. just wash out any monomer first with shampoo.. make sure the brush is dry and gently flatten it with the iron.. then soak it in monomer again.

Fantastic idea, thanks!! I was going to do some nails today on the nail trainer, but I think I'm going to rehabilitate my brush instead! I'll let you know how the straightener works out

I have read somewhere and I thinks it was on here....that if you have a contaminated brushyoucan, in a dire emergency....clean it with scrubfresh.

I have done this and it works..my brush lasted me for 18months before i bought a new one - another pro styler.

I still use my old one now and again.

I always squeeze out my brush by placing it on tissue and pressing with folded tissue before astoring it in a creative brush box (coffin) with the bristles on a lint free pad.

Hi, I just wanted to revive this thread to let you know that I have successfully saved my brush using the advice here.
You cannot begin to imagine what a state my brush was in. Its my very first brush and has gone through the typical abuse of training. The hairs were flayed, the end was curled, the last nails I did with it were shocking!
Well, I washed the brush in the same way you would wash your hair, ie, 2 shampoos and 1 condition (not singing in the shower!:lol:) with a decent shampoo and conditioner, then I took all the water out with a liint free pad and left it to dry. The next day, I dipped it in monomer and trained it, similar to the way you train a new brush, and its fixed!!! Fair enough its not new again, I still need another, but it will do till I can get another
So, thanks for all your advice on here, its really appreciated.

Latest posts

Back