Last Minute Cancellation - No Really!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBIC

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to get others opinion on this one.

I go to an elderly gentleman fortnightly for a back neck and shoulder massage. Initially it was booked by his daughter in law and I was going weekly but every week when I turned up he looked a bit horrified so I said to him why don't we do fortnightly. I have checked with him on numerous occasions whether he is happy to continue with the treatments and he always is adamant that he does!

Now I started to ring him before I left home to let him know I was on my way but each time I phoned he didn't really fancy it so cancelled last minute. I'm not mega busy but I often have regulars who want appointments and sometimes I find that I shift them to later to accommodate this elderly guy.

I have turned up to his house a few times (10 mile trip to his). Once he was ill in bed, fair enough, his son in law answered and then today I have turned up and he is sorry but he has a doctor's appointment. I know he is elderly and probably I am the last thing on his mind but just wondered whether others think I should start taking payment for the next treatment in advance when I am there? Or should I just knock this one on the head or go with the flow as I guess it is only the odd treatment but is still time and money!

I know he really enjoys the treatment and company when I am there but feel annoyed (I know he is old!) that I have pushed back appointments today now plus wasted by time / petrol travelling there to be told can't do the treatment.

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long one!

I know he's old but you can't keep this up, you're running a business not a charity, ha ha easy for me to say!! It's really difficult because he is elderly and probably not thinking from your point of view, can you not politely explain that you lose money, petrol and potentially booking in other clients when he cancels last minute and ask if he could give you at least 24 hours notice so you don't make the journey?

Hi just wanted to get others opinion on this one.

I go to an elderly gentleman fortnightly for a back neck and shoulder massage. Initially it was booked by his daughter in law and I was going weekly but every week when I turned up he looked a bit horrified so I said to him why don't we do fortnightly. I have checked with him on numerous occasions whether he is happy to continue with the treatments and he always is adamant that he does!

Now I started to ring him before I left home to let him know I was on my way but each time I phoned he didn't really fancy it so cancelled last minute. I'm not mega busy but I often have regulars who want appointments and sometimes I find that I shift them to later to accommodate this elderly guy.

I have turned up to his house a few times (10 mile trip to his). Once he was ill in bed, fair enough, his son in law answered and then today I have turned up and he is sorry but he has a doctor's appointment. I know he is elderly and probably I am the last thing on his mind but just wondered whether others think I should start taking payment for the next treatment in advance when I am there? Or should I just knock this one on the head or go with the flow as I guess it is only the odd treatment but is still time and money!

I know he really enjoys the treatment and company when I am there but feel annoyed (I know he is old!) that I have pushed back appointments today now plus wasted by time / petrol travelling there to be told can't do the treatment.

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long one!

If it's a 10 mile drive to his then a 10 mile drive back, after fuel cost is it worth the drive? Maybe wait till he calls you and explain it to him, I'm sure he would understand xx

I think your idea of payment in advance is perfect.

You could explain to him that if he gives you notice to cancel his appointment, it lets you allocate the appointment to someone else. However, I he doesn't let you know, you will keep the payment as you will be unable to fill the appointment at such short notice.

If you are wary about asking him to pay up front, why dont you offer him a group booking price. Say he books a block of 10 massages, he will get it for £x amount.. Elderly people tend to love any little bit of a discount, so make it sound like it would be good for him too as in the long run it will work out cheaper for him, but at the same time you will have your money in advance also.. If he lets you down last minute (under 24hrs notice) then that will count as 1 of his 10 treatments.
Just a thought?
x

He has cancelled or said he doesn't want it more than once now, so I would explain to him that you can't make the fortnightly appointment and ask him to call if and when he wants a massage.
This may sound harsh because he is elderly but you can't continue to lose money on petrol, potential clients etc just because of his age. If he still wants to continue fortnightly, ask him for a deposit or full payment before the appointment.
:) xx

It seems like boking in advance isn't working for him maybe suggest to him that when he wants an appointment to ring you the day before or on the day and if you have time you can go out to him. Like another poster suggested it is a business you are running at then end of the day and each time he cancels on you last minute you could have booked a paying client in.

I'm wondering why it was his daughter-in-law who instigated it.
My first thought on the situation is, that on a limited income, he may find it financially a bit of a strain.
He may be unwilling to tell you this because of pride, and also because you do a great job and he benefits from it.
Obviously it's unfair on you to waste time/money. I would be completely straight with him and he may, in return, reveal to you what the problem is. Then you can move forward accordingly. x

Thanks for your replies.

I think I will go to him the next time and suggest taking payment for the next treatment then and see what he says.

Thanks again.

You are running a business and it is not right to keep cancelling, but this part of your post made me wonder...

Initially it was booked by his daughter in law and I was going weekly but every week when I turned up he looked a bit horrified so I said to him why don't we do fortnightly. I have checked with him on numerous occasions whether he is happy to continue with the treatments and he always is adamant that he does!

Many years ago I had an elderly lady come for a massage - her husband had booked it for her as a treat. I took her medical history and it turned out she had a condition that was totally contraindicated. I explained that I couldn't massage her and the relief was immense. She explained that last time she had had a massage she ended up in hospital. She didn't realise that having a massage could have had such an effect but was reluctant to have another, BUT (and this may be the relevant bit) she didn't want to upset her husband who had booked the massage for her by cancelling it.

I know none of the contraindications issues applies to you, but, as it is his daughter that has organised it and as you say he seemed horrified when you turned up regularly, I wonder if he is just going along with it because it is something his daughter thinks he should have and he doesn't want to upset/offend his daughter.

In your shoes, I would gently explain that you can't keep his regular appointment time due to the cancellations but if /when he would like a session to call you. That way you leave the ball in his court as to whether he wants one or not.

I'm wondering why it was his daughter-in-law who instigated it.
My first thought on the situation is, that on a limited income, he may find it financially a bit of a strain.
He may be unwilling to tell you this because of pride, and also because you do a great job and he benefits from it.
Obviously it's unfair on you to waste time/money. I would be completely straight with him and he may, in return, reveal to you what the problem is. Then you can move forward accordingly. x

Hi

He has Peripheral neuropathy and his consultant has recommended that massage may help so his daughter law contacted me.

No financially I get the impression he is very well off and does live with his son and daughter in law who are both professionals. Saying that I do have a client who I often wonder if they are having a spray tan as opposed to putting food on the table but no he isn't in that bracket!

Like I said I was going weekly but I moved it to fortnightly and I do keep asking him if he is happy to continue. Bless him I just think he is very forgetful!

Great advice given!

If I was in this situation, I would go down the deposit route & say that you need 24hrs cancellation notice.

Or, as said, ask him if he would prefere to call you (or get his daugher-in-law to) when he nexts wants a treatment.

That is a lot of miles you cover x

Latest posts

Back