Late appointment times - hate saying no

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
Hi all, I am mobile and work up to any time at night, sometimes 11pm in the summer but I only do this when I have one appointment after the other. The trouble with this is now I am a lot quieter some of those people who liked 'late night' appointments have asked for them and I have said no. Because the thought of going out at 10pm just for one appointment is not very appealing to me 😕 I have a daughter who wakes up all night so if I'm at home I go to bed between 9.30-10pm lol.

I was wondering what you all do if you get asked for an appointment either extremely early or late in the day, do you agree to keep the customer happy?

I have said no but it will play on my mind all day because I hate saying no.

Hi, I've been having the same problem recently. Especially because it is now going darker earlier at night I've explained to my clients that I won't be taking appointments as late due to having to walk around alone in the dark with my equipment for my own personal safety (some of my clients don't live in the nicest of places).

Consider it as safeguarding yourself, would they like to do it if they were in your position? If they are are adamant in having these appointments maybe have an added charge for unsociable hours as you would for travel expenses.

If they value your services and safety they should understand :)

Good luck. Xx

Just tell them the truth .."My daughter wakes up at night now, so if I'm not working I go to bed between 9.30 and 10.30. I'd hate to be tired when I'm waxing you/doing your nails/cutting your hair etc so how about I come at 7pm - how's that for you?"
If you don't tell them the situation they won't know.

I think it's because I feel the reason is stupid, in their eyes they will just be thinking well you did me a 10pm appointment last time, why not this time? Although I'm not asking how I respond to these requests I was more interested in hearing if others on here go out of their way and would do an appointment such as this or if you put yourself first and say no?

On this occasion I just replied saying "I'm sorry I can't do 10pm this evening; my latest available appointment is 7.30pm etc etc" x

I'd probably just say you are fully booked and offer an earlier time. They don't need to know it's because you don't want to go out late, they don't need to know anything really. Any other time if they want a time slot that you don't have availability for you would just offer another time. Do the same with this and then they can't argue.

Don't feel bad, your safety and well being comes first and you shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone!

My baby still wakes at least 4 times a night too, it's a killer isn't it! X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

A 10pm appointment. Flippin eck. Who on earth wants a treatment that late at night?:eek:

Pick your hours and stick to them
Just tell them the latest app avail is
They don't need an explanation

I would never get my nails/waxing done at 10pm that's crazy

You are self employed. Ergo you choose your own hours. Stick to them.

I do pamper parties late but thats the only things I will be out late for. I dont have children yet but when I do I doubt I will still be doing late night appointments.

The latest I start an appointment is 7pm. The earliest I have started in the morning is 8am but that was once and I normally start at 9am x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

There is absolutely no way I would be going to work that late..!!! It's crazy!!! I need my own time to chill, only is someone was paying me a small fortune would I even consider it..!

You need to value your time as much as your clients value their own...perhaps they want their appointment so late because they're going to aerobics, showering having dinner and putting the kids to bed...so you fit in with their life. But what about your life and plans and children??! They value their own time more than yours, but only because you allow them to. Start to redress the balance. No need to be harsh or feel guilty. Simply tell them you're not able to work as late as you once did, but you can see them at 7pm instead (or whatever). End of. No discussion. And no feeling guilty! Your life is just as important as theirs, you need to start feeling it!

I put myself first (this includes my family) and the client second. They don't care one iota about YOU, so you need to care about YOU. I only work the hours I want to work, no one pressurises me to work unsociable hours. They wouldn't dare!

Thanks everyone, I'm relieved to hear that you would all put yourself first. I did wonder whether the responses would mainly say I should always do what the customer wants and should be willing to go out of my way to please :)

I have young children so I start at 6.30pm which is why I am willing to work late but only if I have one appointment after the other. However I do stop at some point - I was fully booked with tans between 6pm and 10pm one night (my last tan being 10pm) and when I told a customer I couldn't fit her in that evening she asked if I could come after my 10pm appointment! That would have meant getting to her near on 11pm. I said no to that one and didn't feel guilty lol.

When I'm busy and booked out I don't mind doing really early or later appointments because I won't have anything else to do that day but on a quiet day I definitely won't book out later times because its not convenient as I work from home I feel like I'm obliged to stay home for those few appointments so its better to have them straight after each other or closer appointments, just simply say no because a lot of clients take advantage and will start calling you for on the spot treatments... A lot of my clients did this to me and its really annoying!!
Elaine. Xx

That's right Elaine. As soon as you start bending over backwards for them they'll use you until you break in two. I once had a client call me at 9am on a Sunday as her teenage son fancied a pedicure and could I just pop round "now" and do one for him. Yeah right! I don't think so! I don't see that client anymore. Clients who think I'm their skivvy and don't respect me as a nail tech don't get my services.

No more Mr Nice Guy. They tend to take the proverbial with you if you give them an inch..

Consider not working sooo late from now on perhaps make your last appointment 8.30pm/9pm maybe and stick to it regardless. Start as you mean to go on cos give them an inch and they'll take a mile (some but not all of them :) )

xx

That's right Elaine. As soon as you start bending over backwards for them they'll use you until you break in two. I once had a client call me at 9am on a Sunday as her teenage son fancied a pedicure and could I just pop round "now" and do one for him. Yeah right! I don't think so! I don't see that client anymore. Clients who think I'm their skivvy and don't respect me as a nail tech don't get my services.

No more Mr Nice Guy. They tend to take the proverbial with you if you give them an inch..

I remember having 3 clients from the same family, I did one of them (gelish) asnd i was kept waiting for 30mins!! for the other member to turn up. They think because it's all 3 of them booked in a row there's no real urgency for the others to arrive!!
I'm learning that you have to be strict with clients but also fair, but not to the point they are taking the Michael. (mick)

I was booked at a salon once 12:30 I arrived promptly and was told to wait as the person was about to neutralise a perm on a client.
I checked we had the correct time, she said yes, But she squeezed someone else in for a perm, then said I was leaving as I had other bookings and she would have to re arrange.

I mean really!
I never went back there again and vowed that was the very end of my mobile clients, they come to me now and if 15 mins late need to rebook.

I would set yourself set hours let your clients know they hours - fair enough if you are really busy work out of them a bit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi,
When I first qualified I did an office job and worked mobile , id work evenings till 11pm & Saturdays & Sunday's . !!! ...
I was single and lived at home (so tea was cooked for me and my washing done - i do love my parents ... <3)
Then when I went full time mobile again would still do late apts - cater for clients who worked / had kids etc ...
But once I got with my partner and we moved in together I them no longer worked past 8pm ... And dont wish to either... !!! ... Im now too old now for that ... I'm in bed for 10pm ... But I am 41 now ... Lol
Iv done the occasional spray tan party till 10pm but it really has to be worth my while (8people minimum and I charge £20each) ...
Iv been asked to do late appointments and I tell them my latest apt are on Wednesday & Thursday's 7pm / so that by 8pm I'm home or if they come to my beauty room they're gone ... I don't work past that or Sunday's and haven't for years now.
But I think i did make a rod for myself as I used to do it and people do think your always available as you work mobile / from home ... !!! ...
I don't think they realise that we actually need our free time too ... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi,
When I first qualified I did an office job and worked mobile , id work evenings till 11pm & Saturdays & Sunday's . !!! ...
I was single and lived at home (so tea was cooked for me and my washing done - i do love my parents ... <3)
Then when I went full time mobile again would still do late apts - cater for clients who worked / had kids etc ...
But once I got with my partner and we moved in together I them no longer worked past 8pm ... And dont wish to either... !!! ... Im now too old now for that ... I'm in bed for 10pm ... But I am 41 now ... Lol
Iv done the occasional spray tan party till 10pm but it really has to be worth my while (8people minimum and I charge £20each) ...
Iv been asked to do late appointments and I tell them my latest apt are on Wednesday & Thursday's 7pm / so that by 8pm I'm home or if they come to my beauty room they're gone ... I don't work past that or Sunday's and haven't for years now.
But I think i did make a rod for myself as I used to do it and people do think your always available as you work mobile / from home ... !!! ...
I don't think they realise that we actually need our free time too ... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Totally the same for me!!

Latest posts

Back