London’s first fish therapy spa makes a splash

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
According to the owners of London’s newest, and clearly fishiest, spa, the capital is to become home to the ultimate pedicure.

Called Aqua Sheko it is set to be the first fish therapy concept spa of its kind in London when it opens Monday 7 June. It brings to the metropolis a foot skin resurfacing method, which uses Garra Rufa fish, a form of carp, to gently remove dead skin.
Aqua Sheko hopes to make significant waves in the UK. The spa has eight state-of-the-art pools, allowing one client per pool, which are filtered and fed by a constant oxygen supply to ensure clean water and a healthy environment for the fish.
Founder of Aqua Sheko, Karen Ho said: “Fish therapy is an enjoyable and relaxing way to remove a build up of dead skin and maintain smooth, good looking feet all year round.”

Popular in Turkey and parts of Asia, advocates of the therapy say is a natural alternative to potentially unsanitary razors, clippers or pumice stones.
However, there are fierce opponents who question the hygiene and health issues surrounding this practice and notably the treatment was recently banned in 14 states America.

Attachments

• prco_uk_fish.jpg
    prco_uk_fish.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 189
my sister-in-law had this in Thailand and thought it was absolutely amazing. I think it will be a big hit. I will definetly be trying it out!

the thought sends chills down me, i mean how do they combat cross contamination? the fish nibble at someone and then they nibble at someone else...... Dont get me wrong, I am not knocking it, I dont know enough about it. But, how do they get round the cross contamination issue. you cant barbicide a fish...........

"Dont get me wrong, I am not knocking it, I dont know enough about it. But, how do they get round the cross contamination issue. you cant barbicide a fish..........."

I agree with your first sentance I've heard of it but, thats all.
Your second sentance :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :D :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ....

Are those fish qualified like us? I'll be back in Thailand soon so let me know where is these place, I'm originally Thai but have never heard of this before.

OMG my new competitor...

I've heard about this, but have also read that it's been banned in some places because animal rights protestors are afraid of 'potential abuse of the fish' !!!!!:rolleyes:

I don't think the sanitation would be the issue, the natural biological cycle of the water would keep it as it needed to be , (you do all know theres fish in the reservoir's
that our tap water comes from right?
Also there are many cleaner fish in nature, hippo's have been having fish clean there science forever! And that includes fish that will get in and clean between there teath! And so have sharks and whales, many have a cleaning crew that live permanently on them!
So for the right type of fish it is nothing more than natural Behaviour in an un-natural environment,
If (and I'm sure in most places they will be) the fish are looked after and do not live permanently in the tanks that the feet go into , if the feet are free of oils and lotions first and cirtian common scene things are done to keep the fish safe and healthy then I don't see a problem,

My cousin has theese regularly in Singapore and swears by them. He says they are amazing x

I saw a client a few months ago who wanted a pedicure but I couldn't do it - she had a red sore rash all over her feet and legs after visiting a fish spa in the UK (not sure which one). She thought it was some sort of allergic reaction but a trip to the docs on my recommendation revealed it was infact a fungal infection :eek:

I used to work for a fish therapy company and I can tell you categorically that this is the most unhygienic thing you will ever do!!! Ignore all the fluff they tell you about cleaning the tanks etc.

It is also incredibly cruel and many fish die. Myself and the staff felt quite helpless at times when the tanks would become infected and the fish would die one by one.

DO NOT GET IT DONE, THIS FAD NEEDS STOPPING!!!!

I used to work for a fish therapy company and I can tell you categorically that this is the most unhygienic thing you will ever do!!! Ignore all the fluff they tell you about cleaning the tanks etc.

It is also incredibly cruel and many fish die. Myself and the staff felt quite helpless at times when the tanks would become infected and the fish would die one by one.

DO NOT GET IT DONE, THIS FAD NEEDS STOPPING!!!!

Its becoming quite a thing over here to.
as some one that used to work for them can you give any facts ? solid info?

also if you have any could you not contact the RSPCA?

I have driven past a couple of fishy spas and always find loads of people peaking in through the windows... like they are at some aquarium. This is not an idea which tickles my fancy to be perfectly honest.

Am I correct in assuming that everyone puts their feet into the same tank of fish or are the fish scooped out of the tank into a pedicure bowl, afterwhich the same fish plus foot soaked water are then returned to the tank for somebody elses feet :confused:?

I don't think the sanitation would be the issue, the natural biological cycle of the water would keep it as it needed to be , (you do all know theres fish in the reservoir's
that our tap water comes from right?
Also there are many cleaner fish in nature, hippo's have been having fish clean there science forever! And that includes fish that will get in and clean between there teath! And so have sharks and whales, many have a cleaning crew that live permanently on them!
You do know that the fishy reservoirs where our tap water comes from goes through a process of strictly controlled sanitation first before it gets to our taps right?

I am neither a hippo, shark or whale :lol:, so if using fish to clean their teeth is the way to go, then that is their cycle of life within nature. I've been using flouride toothpaste for 47 years and intend to continue doing so. There is just no way I am going to pay to share a fish tank with other peoples feet. Swimming pools, spas etc... yes, but then they are maintained with chemicals... fish tank... no.

I agree, I think it is a fad.

Gimmik!

Many will try it once .... and only once. Í wouldn't even try it once.

I want my feet done properly .. this way does not fit into this category.

Gimmik!

Many will try it once .... and only once. Í wouldn't even try it once.

I want my feet done properly .. this way does not fit into this category.

Absolutely, by a person and not a fish :lol:. Professional nail therapists have been treating feet expertly for years and years.

I looked at a website for a fish spa locally to me and noted that they charge £20 for a 35 minute fish pedicure. The fish do half the work and the therapist takes all the money??

Absolutely, by a person and not a fish :lol:. Professional nail therapists have been treating feet expertly for years and years.

I looked at a website for a fish spa locally to me and noted that they charge £20 for a 35 minute fish pedicure. The fish do half the work and the therapist takes all the money??

Correcto! Gimmik! And nothing more.

Most people just walk up and hop right in. No sanitizing their feet prior....just filthy feet. I think it's disgusting; not to mention little bits and pieces of everyone's skin mixing and mingling with everyone else's as well as all the fish feces floating around in there. No thank you.

Also...how do you sanitize a fish?

Latest posts

Back