Louboutin nails - new trend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to jump on this thread :)
Is it a good idea to put a thin layer of clear before the red L&P?
I like this way then Blackpool Shellac over the top. Have a fancy cruise coming up and I'm batting a few ideas around.
Thanks
Vicki x

Yes. It's always a good idea to put a thin layer of clear under a coloured acrylic to prevent nail staining and to give you the option of a rebalance rather than a soak off if the client wants a different colour at her next appointment.

p.s to get the best look out of the louboutin nails they need to be a reasonable length. If the client wears them short you're not going to see the under-side of them and it defeats the purpose

They are wonderful!! She is a very talented lady those are beautiful nails. I would love to know how she acheived this look

picture.php

I would guess she first sculpted the smaller tip-shape with the glitter then completed the free edge with her blue design etc and then did the body of the nail last as usual with her coverage powder. If we are lucky, she will tell us herself shortly!

Last edited:
picture.php

I would guess she first sculpted the smaller tip-shape with the glitter then completed the free edge with her blue design etc and then did the body of the nail last as usual with her coverage powder.

Yes I was thinking about how she got that thin line around the free edge, and sculpting it around the glitter makes more sense. I dont know if its just the photo, but the other side of the free edge looks to have a marbled effect and its this bit that I'm wondering how you would acheive.

They look nice holding them up like that. But you wouldn't walk around like it haha.

Maybe I am just being negative about them. But I just think most people won't see underneath anyway!

They look nice holding them up like that. But you wouldn't walk around like it haha.

Maybe I am just being negative about them. But I just think most people won't see underneath anyway!

I disagree, I think people would notice. I'm currently wearing clear enhancements with tiny tiny flowers on the tip and I have had so many comments on them, particularly at the supermarket when I'm paying for my groceries and getting my money out or tapping my pin number into the card machine. With the louboutin nails I think they would be very noticeable because the red is very bright in contrast to the black, so as you are moving your hands people get a flash of red and it's not "in your face", it's subtle, but noticeable nonetheless. If you think about it, the same could be said for the shoes, who notices your sole? but because the sole is so bright you get a flash of it when people walk and its very noticeable. Same applies with the nails!!

I think most of us do what we ourselves enjoy seeing anyway, but I can guarantee that these nails will have had plenty of notice. :D

Don't mean to butt in...but as far as I can remember..Jeni did those nails in two parts...she did the nails normally and posted the photo on the daily nail photo thread, then a couple days later (dont quote me on that!) she posted that she had done the louboutin effect?

Don't mean to butt in...but as far as I can remember..Jeni did those nails in two parts...she did the nails normally and posted the photo on the daily nail photo thread, then a couple days later (dont quote me on that!) she posted that she had done the louboutin effect?

Yep- that's what she did :)

I disagree, I think people would notice. I'm currently wearing clear enhancements with tiny tiny flowers on the tip and I have had so many comments on them, particularly at the supermarket when I'm paying for my groceries and getting my money out or tapping my pin number into the card machine. With the louboutin nails I think they would be very noticeable because the red is very bright in contrast to the black, so as you are moving your hands people get a flash of red and it's not "in your face", it's subtle, but noticeable nonetheless. If you think about it, the same could be said for the shoes, who notices your sole? but because the sole is so bright you get a flash of it when people walk and its very noticeable. Same applies with the nails!!

I don't see the point in either! Just to see a flash of red. I don't mean my replies to sound funny or anything. I guess it is just personal preference and opinion x :)

I don't see the point in either! Just to see a flash of red. I don't mean my replies to sound funny or anything. I guess it is just personal preference and opinion x :)

You're right about preference and while it's great for others to notice the little details, and to use them as advertisements, I don't design my own nails to please others- only to please myself :) x

A flash of metallic gold beneath the nail looks beautiful too .. something as simple and subtle as that is so sophisticated and classy-looking.

Not everything has to be flash and "in your face" and so obvious .... subtle is pure class .. less is often more and certainly is more in demand than many other types of nail art ... simpler, quicker and more affordable for the client as well. To me it is a difference in taste and "tack" .. JMHO

You're right about preference and while it's great for others to notice the little details, and to use them as advertisements, I don't design my own nails to please others- only to please myself :) x

Oh for sure :)

If a client wanted these, I would simply do them, because it is their taste and choice at the end of the day. I don't dislike them mind! If I am being honest, they don't look at all basic to do, seems alot of work goes into them? I guess all us Nail techs needs to learn more and more to keep up with the times of new designs!

picture.php

I would guess she first sculpted the smaller tip-shape with the glitter then completed the free edge with her blue design etc and then did the body of the nail last as usual with her coverage powder. If we are lucky, she will tell us herself shortly!
Cor Gigi you really give me more credit thank you sweetness.
Alas, it was a lot less complex than that lol, feel ashamed to say how now.... But I will do.
As someone else already stated I had posted this picture in the what nails are you sporting today without the louboutin bottoms, which I created a couple of days later because I had slipped a finger into a pot of holographic silver glitter and thought that it looked amazing.
I sat and figured out that if I added a layer of clearly pink shellac to the underneath of my nails, cured and then scrubbed the glitter in the sameway as we do rockstar I would get the effect and a neater finish than if I did with polish.
To get the border after I had removed the inhibition layer, I used a kanga board flat against the underside to create the edge.
The top of the nails have glitter embedded in the blue under the clear L&P and then handpainted design on top.
Sorry it wasn't as technical.
Next time when I re do the tips, I will scuplt the underneath with glitter and the top with another colour.
The amount of comments from strangers on these nails has been ridiculous people stopping me at tills and in shops, not just because of the top but because they have seen flashes of sparkle underneath. And my hands got pulled everywhich way at Olympia this weekend.
Jen xxx

Last edited:
Cor Gigi you really give me more credit thank you sweetness. Alas, it was a lot less complex than that lol. feel ashamed to say how now. But I will do. As someone else already stated I had posted this picture in the what nails are you sporting today without the louboutin bottoms, which I created a couple of days later because I had slipped a finger into a pot of holographic silver glitter and thought that it looked amazing.
I sat and figured out that if I added a layer of clearly pink shellac to the underneath of my nails, cured and then scrubbed the glitter in the sameway as we do rockstar I would get the effect and a neater finish than if I did with polish.
To get the border after i had removed the inhibition layer I used a kanga board flat against the underside to create the border.
Next time when I re do the tips, I will scuplt the underneath with glitter and the top with another colour.
The amount of comments from strangers on these nails has been ridiculous people stopping me at tills and in shops, not just because of the top but because they hae seen flashes of sparkle underneath. And my hands got pulled everywhich way at Olympia this weekend.
Jen xxx
Wow that's amazing! That is 100% talent :) x

Why?

These nails are pure class and skill and most of us couldn't recreate them as beautifully as this!!

Why?

These nails are pure class and skill and most of us couldn't recreate them as beautifully as this!!
I could only dream to be this talented.x

Cor Gigi you really give me more credit thank you sweetness. Alas, it was a lot less complex than that lol. feel ashamed to say how now. But I will do. As someone else already stated I had posted this picture in the what nails are you sporting today without the louboutin bottoms, which I created a couple of days later because I had slipped a finger into a pot of holographic silver glitter and thought that it looked amazing.
To get the border after i had removed the inhibition layer I used a kanga board flat against the underside to create the border.
The amount of comments from strangers on these nails has been ridiculous people stopping me at tills and in shops, not just because of the top but because they hae seen flashes of sparkle underneath. And my hands got pulled everywhich way at Olympia this weekend.
Jen xxx

They are soooo beautiful. I am in love with them and I thought they seemed like they would have been more complicated to do. I think they are gorgeous!

I'm not saying that these nails were simple to do lol but ... remember the principal that "less is more" and you'd be surprised what beautiful things you can do and with quite simple techniques.

All this stuff you see in the magazines ??? Competition stuff. Not reality in the salon ... forget it. Enjoy it but don't waste your time on it unless you are mega talented and and just want to show your art work off in competitions, because your clients wont pay for it and they wont ask for it. Keep it simple and chic; that is a talent in itself. x

I'm not saying that these nails were simple to do lol but ... remember the principal that "less is more" and you'd be surprised what beautiful things you can do and with quite simple techniques.

All this stuff you see in the magazines ??? Competition stuff. Not reality in the salon ... forget it. Enjoy it but don't waste your time on it unless you are mega talented and and just want to show your art work off in competitions, because your clients wont pay for it and they wont ask for it. Keep it simple and chic; that is a talent in itself. x

No no I wasn't implying that I just meant I thought it would have been far more difficult to add the glitter and didn't think just rock starring The underside would look as good as this.

It does go to show that simple techniques are sometimes the most beautiful :)

Why?

I never said they were not nice. Infact I said they were lol

It's my opinion...I think I said this a few times. Not all of us wants to do the same thing >_>

Latest posts

Back