LOVING this PHAB new concept!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is a good idea and I have already applied.

I fully understand what Martin is saying. Times are hard at the moment. At the coal face here we have had to endure increased VAT costs and product costs. It is difficult to pass those costs on to our clients who are understandably watching pennies at the moment. Some of us have therefore seen a drop in our profit margins.

The cost of membership to me is a few new gel polish colours or loads of sheets of Minx or new retail products or lots of other things that have a tangible immediate profit benefit to me. We are all in business to make money. If I made huge amounts of money then all the "nice to haves" would be bought. As it is I need to consider spends carefully.

Like lots of others on here, I have a home salon and work alone. There is no way I could afford the "Salon" fee, it would have to be the individual application fee. For this I am concerned that I will not get things like
  • A complimentary listing on the PHAB Standard consumer website (once launched)
Therefore, I am not sure how consumers will know that I meet the standards (apart from me telling them) and how it will increase business for me.

From the form I completed, I understand that I can apply for "Gold" (yay). The site also says that they are developing "Platinum and Diamond" standards. I hope the higher criteria developed will take into account home salons and mobile technicians and not make it impossible for us to achieve by making it based on turnover, or amount of clients, or amount of different services offered.

I will write to Phab directly with my concerns.

All that said, I really do think it is a good idea and I am not being apathetic just careful!

Last edited:
So does someone then come and check you so you can then be awarded gold.If the take ups huge thats a lot of checking.
How will the public get to know about this they don't seem to recognise members of beauty guild or babtac.

I think it is a good idea and I have already applied.

I fully understand what Martin is saying. Times are hard at the moment. At the coal face here we have had to endure increased VAT costs and product costs. It is difficult to pass those costs on to our clients who are understandably watching pennies at the moment. Some of us have therefore seen a drop in our profit margins.

The cost of membership to me is a few new gel polish colours or loads of sheets of Minx or new retail products or lots of other things that have a tangible immediate profit benefit to me. We are all in business to make money. If I made huge amounts of money then all the "nice to haves" would be bought. As it is I need to consider spends carefully.

Like lots of others on here, I have a home salon and work alone. There is no way I could afford the "Salon" fee, it would have to be the individual application fee. For this I am concerned that I will not get things like
  • A complimentary listing on the PHAB Standard consumer website (once launched)
Therefore, I am not sure how consumers will know that I meet the standards (apart from me telling them) and how it will increase business for me.

From the form I completed, I understand that I can apply for "Gold" (yay). The site also says that they are developing "Platinum and Diamond" standards. I hope the higher criteria developed will take into account home salons and mobile technicians and not make it impossible for us to achieve by making it based on turnover, or amount of clients, or amount of different services offered.

I will write to Phab directly with my concerns.

All that said, I really do think it is a good idea and I am not being apathetic just careful!

Totally agree with this post...I think maybe they need another subsection for mobile/home salons ? I guess it's new and they need to see how it all pans out and peoples response to it :/

See what I mean about apathy nail friends??

This is the nail forum and this is all the excitement we can generate for this PHAB concept?? :irked:

How many are GOING FOR IT?
I know so many of you who could go for the gold star rating already.
How many of you have applied for it?
I'd be signed up and wearing the T-shirt by now if I lived in the UK. :green:

If you don't know what to do then go here .....

PHAB: Performance in Hair and Beauty

I have completed the first part this morning, going for gold, just need to be verified now)

I love the concept, I love the fact Samantha is there guiding it because she is a real rockstar in our industry!

It's exactly what industry needs!

And I just can't miss out on that Golden Trophy to pair up my Brisa Pro of the year award;) it feels lonely now;)

Thank you Gigi;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

the concept is great but the fee for me at this moment in time are not . maybe in the future when they consider accept direct debit etc then its something I can look into. But at the moment EVERY penny counts for me. I shall start saving!!

the concept is great but the fee for me at this moment in time are not . maybe in the future when they consider accept direct debit etc then its something I can look into. But at the moment EVERY penny counts for me. I shall start saving!!
I know you are expanding ... Perfect time to get in on this ... Find the money!! Lol. You are one of the first people I thought of for whom this would be PERFECT! :hug:

I shall Gigi , BUT 400 is a lot of money to find when I am yet to take a wage ... Its firmly on the list and Its great, its just a shame its not payable as a direct debit , then more people would be able to subscribe quicker and not have to place it on THE list. lol.

So PHAB, if you are reading this, why not consider making it possible to pay in monthly installments. We love your concept and we WANT to buy into it, can YOU help us to join you?

tigi
xxxx

This is great AND so needed!
Small appeal though (& appreciate Samantha rep Nail community on board) but why in nail thread? I only found by accident. This is fabulous news for ALL beauty pros...can't all PHAB dialogue not be done in business section and help give it the wider airwaves it deserves?

This is great AND so needed!
Small appeal though (& appreciate Samantha rep Nail community on board) but why in nail thread? I only found by accident. This is fabulous news for ALL beauty pros...can't all PHAB dialogue not be done in business section and help give it the wider airwaves it deserves?

It is alsp posted on the main forum home page in the NEWS section for all to see (if they ever look at it). It pays to check the main forum page. Its the first call when I log on. There is nothing stopping you copying and pasting it if you so wish, to any forum you want ... this is your site. :hug:

...yeah me and the SG iPhone app are still getting to know each other xx

I'm still a student at the minute so unfortunately this is not applicable to me yet, but as someone who is serious about wanting a career in this industry (not just wanting a quick buck!) I think this is a brilliant idea! Seems very similar to the michelin star concept for chefs/restaurants. One question though which I'm sure geeg or someone can answer- Will this be advertised to clients in one form or another? I know the professional will have to ask the client for the testimonial/review, but unless some serious marketing is done, how will clients know what to look out for when choosing a new salon? I'm sure it's easy for NSS and the like to put up a certificate saying they've won such and such an award cos I've seen it with my own eyes, but for the prospective client to actually take it into account and believe in the system, hopefully there's going to be a lot of information out there for the public!

I'm still a student at the minute so unfortunately this is not applicable to me yet, but as someone who is serious about wanting a career in this industry (not just wanting a quick buck!) I think this is a brilliant idea! Seems very similar to the michelin star concept for chefs/restaurants. One question though which I'm sure geeg or someone can answer- Will this be advertised to clients in one form or another? I know the professional will have to ask the client for the testimonial/review, but unless some serious marketing is done, how will clients know what to look out for when choosing a new salon? I'm sure it's easy for NSS and the like to put up a certificate saying they've won such and such an award cos I've seen it with my own eyes, but for the prospective client to actually take it into account and believe in the system, hopefully there's going to be a lot of information out there for the public!

This is a question youshould be directing diirect to PHAB. I don't know all the ins and outs. lol

This is a question youshould be directing diirect to PHAB. I don't know all the ins and outs. lol

Sorry got a bit carried away :p will get on to them in the morning!

Is this not like safe salons ? I was the first tech in my area to join safe salon yes a fab idear but clients had never heard of it so didnt really seem to get it,

Is this not like safe salons ? I was the first tech in my area to join safe salon yes a fab idear but clients had never heard of it so didnt really seem to get it,

No it is not like safe salons and everyone understands a five gold star rating!:green:

There is a PHAB article in this months Scratch magazine on page 86. Explains a definition of being PHAB.

Nail designer with a twist;)

Thank you Geeg for talking about PHAB and it is women like you who really have taken our Industry from strength to strength!
Some of you are sceptical and that is welcome here at PHAB as it only serves to keep us on our toes!

The PHAB Standard has only been launched in December last year. The individual standard is currently offered to nail technicians, beauty therapists, stylists, colourists and barbers in the UK only.

Business standards are offered to salons, nail-bars, spas and barbershops. We have 17 requests from as many countries, to bring PHAB standards to them but will only do so when we have it absolutely flying in the UK. The aim of this eventually is to guide consumers to the best salon professionals where they are guaranteed exceptional customer service and complete solutions to their nail-care, skincare and hair-care needs. After all it's what they pay for when they book!

Salon owners can use the PHAB standard to incentivise their professionals to achieve the GOLD standard with huge positive impact to their business in the form of revenue generation and building of their client lists.

Salon professionals who are achieving outstanding performance results can finally prove they are better than their competitors and our 'direct to customers' testimonial system along with our verification processes makes it very, very hard to cheat the system.

In addition we have 'sense checks' with manufacturers and suppliers, mystery shopping and most importantly, clients can report to us any rogue standard holders immediately. We intend to be the Michelin stars of our Industry!

Thanks to the hundreds of you who have come out to support something that is going to change our industry, here in the UK, for the better! Remember your questions just make us stronger so please feel free to ask!
The Team at PHAB:Grope:

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as we have enough PHAB businesses on our standard, we launch our consumer website which is already waiting and ready to go!

As soon as we have enough PHAB businesses on our standard, we launch our consumer website which is already waiting and ready to go!

Can Mobile Nail Tech's apply? I am mobile and work alone so have no manager to verify my application.

Thanks

PHAB sounds like a wonderful regulatory opportunity for our industry. Will there be a marketing campaign in the UK to make consumers aware of the standard?

It would be fab if there was something to give recognition to good salons/therapists/nail technicians.

Latest posts

Back