Making up an old clients who's passed away

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathill

Reaction score
Hi has anybody ever done hair/makeup/nails on the deceased ? One of my very good clients has passed and I am going to do her hair makeup and nails so she looks nice for the family when
They visit her and to send her off looking fabulous as she always kept herself so nice. I'm just wondering if there is anything different I have to do I mean the skin will be grey I know that so do I just use normal foundation also fingers will be stiff dove file her nails or just colour them ! :-/ bit worried about it now! Help anyone!!

I've always wondered about this. How do u wash the hair and style it?

Omg I won't be washing it she'll be in her coffin ! Just brush it make it look neat . :-/

Generally deceased people I've seen (being a Dr) seem to need more foundation to disguise the grey tinge their skin has. Also the finger nails have a bluish tinge in some people so a string colour is often needed.

I think what you're doing is lovely so that someone who knew her and what she favoured when alive is doing the pre burial touch up. So often I've seen people being made up ott which must be distressing for the family as it's not how they were when alive.

Well done to you.

Yes this is a wonderful thing you're doing, I don't have any experience if this sorry I can't offer advice,

If you wouldn't mind posting an update I'd be quite interested to hear how it goes xx

Could you not get a photo of her from the family, so you know how she wore her make-up. I'm from a family of funeral directors, there is special make-up that you can use on the deceased but as you will only be doing it the once that would be a big outlay. I would suggest to get the photo and find the same colour of eyeshadow and lipstick that she wore. The family might even have some of her favorites for you to use. The foundation application will probably need to be a little thicker to provide more coverage and add more colour. If she has been embalmed the embaling will change the appearance and texture of the skin, so just be aware of that. Apply some powder to her hands as well if you are doing a manicure. hth a bit

Generally deceased people I've seen (being a Dr) seem to need more foundation to disguise the grey tinge their skin has. Also the finger nails have a bluish tinge in some people so a string colour is often needed.

I think what you're doing is lovely so that someone who knew her and what she favoured when alive is doing the pre burial touch up. So often I've seen people being made up ott which must be distressing for the family as it's not how they were when alive.

Well done to you.

Thanks I want to do it for her she'll appreciate it I just Want to get it right!

Could you not get a photo of her from the family, so you know how she wore her make-up. I'm from a family of funeral directors, there is special make-up that you can use on the deceased but as you will only be doing it the once that would be a big outlay. I would suggest to get the photo and find the same colour of eyeshadow and lipstick that she wore. The family might even have some of her favorites for you to use. The foundation application will probably need to be a little thicker to provide more coverage and add more colour. If she has been embalmed the embaling will change the appearance and texture of the skin, so just be aware of that. Apply some powder to her hands as well if you are doing a manicure. hth a bit

Hi thanks yes it does help. Will the nails already of been cut ? So I just put the colour on? Will she be floppy or stiff? I just don't want a shock . Will the foundation go on ok? I knew her well so I know how she wore her makeup . When you say powder her hands do you mean add abut of colour? Thanks everyone! Yes I will let you know how it goes x

I don't have personal experience of this hut remember reading a piece in the local paper a few years ago about a lady funeral director who was very popular for her attention to detail. She would ask the family for a photo of the deceased and their make-up bag so that she made them look like themselves...as someone else posted earlier in the thread often the deceased can be over made-up. It may be with considering this.
Good luck x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

awww, i did this for my friends son and i would just check she will be in her coffin so as not to upset you. My special friend was in the mortuary on the gurney/trolley and although i wasnt shocked id imagine some could be. Dont be afraid to ask the funeral directors for help or advice as the deceased can have skin slippage so dont apply anything to roughly or drag on the skin to much. And you may want to enquire if she has had a post mortem so you are aware of any staples etc in the hair.

I have offered this service free for a few of my pals family etc now and i get real satisfaction and reward from it but it isnt always pleasant, although a lovely final gesture to people who have taken pride in themselves in their lives here on earth.

Good luck Hun and dont forget do ask, most embalmers are really really helpful and kind :)

awww, i did this for my friends son and i would just check she will be in her coffin so as not to upset you. My special friend was in the mortuary on the gurney/trolley and although i wasnt shocked id imagine some could be. Dont be afraid to ask the funeral directors for help or advice as the deceased can have skin slippage so dont apply anything to roughly or drag on the skin to much. And you may want to enquire if she has had a post mortem so you are aware of any staples etc in the hair.

I have offered this service free for a few of my pals family etc now and i get real satisfaction and reward from it but it isnt always pleasant, although a lovely final gesture to people who have taken pride in themselves in their lives here on earth.

Good luck Hun and dont forget do ask, most embalmers are really really helpful and kind :)
Thanks so much! Xx

I'd be absolutely bricking myself, dead people scare me, your soooo brave.

In the embalming process, embalmers first position the body. They then relieve rigor mortis by flexing, bending, and massaging the arms and legs. They then move the limbs to a suitable position, usually with legs extended and arms at the sides or hanging over the sides of the table, so that blood can drain into and expand the vessels for better embalming. They need to position the body before injecting embalming fluid, for no matter what stage of rigor mortis a body is in, once embalming fluid is injected, the muscles begin to firm up, or "set." (Without embalming, they would become flaccid over a period of hours.) After embalming, the muscles harden gradually over the next eight to twelve hours. Once they are set, embalmers cannot alter the body's position.

So her arms and fingers may be a bit stiff, I don't think you will have a problem though. You may need to cut her nails as the skin usually 'shrinks' back making the nails a appear longer, otherwise just file. And yes, apply a bit of foundation and set with powder on her hands to make them appear less discoloured. hth x

I think you are offering a special service to the family of the deceased. Well done you. I have recently lost a friend to cancer and she had wanted her nails doing but had an emergency operation and sadly died. I know how upset she had been that her nails weren't looking their best and part of me wanted to ask her family if they'd like me to do her nails for her before the funeral. But I felt it might be upsetting to them to even mention it. Even though I knew deep down that my friend would have wanted them done. They didn't ask me so I didn't say anything.
I think it's lovely that your client's family approached you to do this. Xx

I think you are a very strong wonderful person for doing this first and foremost for your late friend and second of all for the family. I cant help you with make up tips either but I'm sure what ever you do your friend would have loved as you know exactly how she would like to look. Hope you get on ok, let us all know how it went and know that we all admire you for having the strength to do this last gesture for your friend.xx

I think you are a very strong wonderful person for doing this first and foremost for your late friend and second of all for the family. I cant help you with make up tips either but I'm sure what ever you do your friend would have loved as you know exactly how she would like to look. Hope you get on ok, let us all know how it went and know that we all admire you for having the strength to do this last gesture for your friend.xx

Same. Although it's something I don't think I could do, good luck with it and it's great that you are doing this for her family.

Arr thanks so much everyone I'm feeling easier about it now! Xx

Is airbrushing the makeup a option? I have never done it and always wondered if that is what they used.
What your doing is great. I didn't see her before being cremated but was told who ever did my MIL's makeup did a horrible job. If I would have known more about makeup then, I for sure would have done hers.

What a beautiful thing you are doing. My mother & I did this for a severely disabled child we used to foster, her real family were Jehovah's Witnesses and said their beliefs meant they weren't interested in it but were happy for us to do it for our own closure. As she was only 14 we just used a very light foundation to take away the bluish tinge and a light rose coloured lipstick. The most difficult part was dressing her but that does lead me to a funny tale that helped us deal with it.

She had severe curvature of the spine, her arms were bent with spasticity at the elbow so that her hands touched her shoulders which made her difficult to dress/move/carry. Her Mum said we could have her ashes after the ceremony. When we went to collect the ashes from the funeral directors, my mother stayed in the car. I collected the urn, got in the car and passed it to my mother who, with a wry smile said "she's much easier to carry like that isn't she?" Her urn is now buried in our garden under a rose bush that carries her name.

May she, and your friend, rest in peace. x

I agree, you are obviously a very caring person.

I have no experience of this but the only 2 things I can think of are using a primer with a colour to counteract the greyish skin tone, like green counteracts red, not sure what colour you would use but hopefully someone can suggest one.

Also, I agree about trying the airbrush foundation. You can buy a retail one in a can from Boots, it doesn't have to be a pro one. I'm just wondering if it would go on better than a cream or liquid due to the firmness of the skin?

Good luck and do give an update.

You sound like you have a good sensible head on your shoulders.

x

Latest posts

Back