Mani Q, Take A Look At This

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm def going to try shellac with my own polish see how I get on!

Good point, will be trying out the mani q method as the intructions have come straight from the manufacturer, have decided I won't mess with shellac as I love the results the way it is. :hug:

We've been trying this out for some time now with great results....and the fact that you can use any regular nail polish is a bonus.

I can only speak on behalf of our own product as to why this works so well and it's because ManiQ is a true gel. 100% gel. It isn't a hybrid or gel/polish and so therefor your laying your polish onto a gel nail.

The ManiQ Top coat is an extremely shiney UV Top Coat Gel...and it soaks off! (ManiQ is also acetone resistant - and the shine will require a light buff away before removal with regular acetone)

ALSO........... even applying polish onto an acrylic overlay you can now use the ManiQ Top Coat for a great shine and seal to the polish.

The colour possibilities are now endless... Happy Days! :)

ManiQ is a true gel. 100% gel. It isn't a hybrid or gel/polish

And the others aren't ?

Other than Shellac of course as that IS a hybrid. Others are thin gels with a high level of pigmentation cured under UV or LED with no air curing solvent.

Sorry but I am even confused now! I was always under the impression that there was a certain amount of polish in Gelish and it does call itself a Gel/Polish. I have been with Gelish before it was released here as I bought my first lot from Dennis in Holland.

Maybe we can have this clarified once and for all? :irked:

Sorry but I am even confused now! I was always under the impression that there was a certain amount of polish in Gelish and it does call itself a Gel/Polish. I have been with Gelish before it was released here as I bought my first lot from Dennis in Holland.

Maybe we can have this clarified once and for all? :irked:

I think you need to get the answer from the 'horses mouth' but I believe that Shellac is the only true hybrid, i.e. it has characteristics and ingredients from both UV gel and traditional polish. All the others are UV gels. They are called gel polishes as they are a gel that applies like a polish. They are 100% UV gel.

As for the 'sandwiching' there are plenty of posts on the site from people trying this out.

Which would be great news because 100% gel means it wont evaporate with air?

Gelish uses an LED lamp though?

Yep both...the process same..curing times different

Gelish is a patented formula ie others have different ones but are gels too. Some work better than others as is being discovered over time.

Shellac is a hybrid hence the need for its own lamp.

The information is out there. :) Science facts. (esp from "Mum" the science background authoress for Nail Techs)

At the end of the day Shellac and Gelish are great, tried and tested, products and the 1st in their respective fields..it comes down to personal preference.

The only thing I take umbrage with is false "facts" which confuse, not educate.

Last edited:
Gelish uses an LED lamp though?

An LED is just a type of bulb. In the lamps for gel curing the bulb emits UV light just like the usual type of lamp.

Shellac needs its own lamp because the UV output is the exact amount to react at the correct speed with the photoinitiators in the product. This is why the manufacturers can guarantee a complete cure. Other lamps may cure it but there is no guarantee of this.

Gelish (and others) have their own lamps including an LED version that have the correct output for a complete cure. Many of these brands also state that any 36w lamp will cure the product.

Even with this statement I think it is preferable to use the lamp that is specifically designed for the product. Then, if there is any service breakdown, you know it is not the lamp that is the cause.

We've been trying this out for some time now with great results....and the fact that you can use any regular nail polish is a bonus.

I can only speak on behalf of our own product as to why this works so well and it's because ManiQ is a true gel. 100% gel. It isn't a hybrid or gel/polish and so therefor your laying your polish onto a gel nail.

The ManiQ Top coat is an extremely shiney UV Top Coat Gel...and it soaks off! (ManiQ is also acetone resistant - and the shine will require a light buff away before removal with regular acetone)

ALSO........... even applying polish onto an acrylic overlay you can now use the ManiQ Top Coat for a great shine and seal to the polish.

Wow, this could be great! Could you please just clarify the step by step application though as I'm confused that you need to apply MQ base, then MQ TOPCOAT (?), then polish, then 2nd coat of MQ topcoat. Why does the polish need to go over the MQ topcoat and not the basecoat?????
Thanks for your help:hug: xx

I, too, would question the 'true gel' comment! It's only Shellac that has claimed to be a genuine hybrid. The others are only claiming it 'applies like a polish'. They are UV gel!

And really, the colour possibilities have always been endless haven't they?! (For those that know what they are doing and not 'messing')

The new 'category' of nail services is the single most important advance for nail professionals. Accurate information on this is essential and not the confusion of 'marketing stories'

I really have got to say this. I find it really distasteful for the top people in our industry, people who we are told we should respect and look up to, having a bash at eachother and picking posts to bits, sentence by sentence. Surely it would be better to PM the 'offender' and ask them either to modify their post or remove it.

It does no one any good and especially new and trainee techs on here to see distributors, educators etc picking at eachother's every comment. It is confusing and doesn't assist anyone in deciding which products to choose or try.:irked:

I really have got to say this. I find it really distasteful for the top people in our industry, people who we are told we should respect and look up to, having a bash at eachother and picking posts to bits, sentence by sentence. Surely it would be better to PM the 'offender' and ask them either to modify their post or remove it.

It does no one any good and especially new and trainee techs on here to see distributors, educators etc picking at eachother's every comment. It is confusing and doesn't assist anyone in deciding which products to choose or try.:irked:

As one who was confused in a previous post I hope you are less so now.

I concur, sad but true. ;-)

Yes, I agree hun that it did (unfortunately) have to be said. Poor old Lisa from Young Nails gets sooo much stick every time she posts on here that I'm surprised she still bothers to even log on!! I for one am very grateful for any help and advice offered on here regardless of which brand people belong to or which product came out first etc etc xx

Ok lets clear the air....

My original post was because it was claimed a brand was the ONLY one 100% gel. This is not true.

I was then asked to clarify re Gelish being a "hybrid"..this I did.

The question was then asked re LED. It was answered.

I was then accused of jumping on a particular brand and giving confusing stories to techs etc. This is NOT true.

Shellac IS a hybrid. The only one as far as I know.

Gelish IS a gel that applies like polish.

Polish and varnish are subjective words. Soak off gel..goes on like a polish are a NEW category.

Gel that goes on like a polish is not air cured like a traditional nail "varnish"

These are FACTS regardless of brand.

Some work, some don't, some are in between.

Because I am associated with a brand does NOT mean I will give out misinformation. I will only try to correct untrue "facts" which is exactly what Mum has done.

Latest posts

Back