Mary Queen of Shops

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Smith

Reaction score
Did anyone watch it last night? If you didn't go to the i-player at BBC - Homepage and watch it there.

I found the idea of having clothes stock that is either:
  • A statement piece - something bold, a WOW factor
  • A best seller - a seasonal best seller
  • Volume piece - a regular seller, a timeless classic
Just SUCH a brilliant idea. Then, that got me thinking ... could salons offer something the same by packaging treatments together? So you'd have:

• A statement treatment - probably a high WOW factor package of treatments at a fairly high price
  • A best seller - this seasons package of treatments
  • Volume piece - a package of treatments that everyone could enjoy all year round
Afterall if it works for clothes shops why shouldn't it work for us!

Thoughts anyone? :)

I did not see it but i have many a time wondered if she would like to come into the salon and see what magic she could work there,
she has some amazing ideas

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that most salons offer these sort of things, at least the one I used to work in did. Summer special offers, Christmas special offers etc... grouping a few treatments together and reducing the price.

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?

Yes it is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. But with the twist that Mary gives it. So a statement package, seasonal (Christmas as you say), and volume (Regular offer)

From what I've seen, and as you say, most salons have the seasonal offers but not the volume or statement packages. :eek:

i agree martin she has wonderful ideas to boost business and re-design shops...i watch her all the time ..she is straight to the point and her ideas have always paid off...i'd like to see her doing something for salons ..good idea.

Hi Martin,
I think your idea is fantastic and I will tell you why. The way that salons advertise at the moment is not very appetizing. It doesn't really stand out to members of the public because they have heard it and seen it all before. Now... when you throw (not literally) new words at them such as the words that you mentioned it would arouse people's curiosity and bring in fresh clients as well as existing clients. Hope this makes sense lol :):)

Martin I think you are absolutely right. It is interesting to think about how we can draw parallels between beauty salons and clothing retail outlets ... it's good to think 'outside the box' (horrible expression!!) to keep things fresh. I love the programme and will be watching for future ideas.

I was wondering exactly the same thing when I was watching last night (although not quite as profoundly as you! :lol:)

It did make me think about my retail stands and wonder how I could improve them.:idea:

Yes I watched as well and I wondered whether you could retail skin and nail care products in the same way.

You know, like must have basics for skin and nails, then new seasons colours in make up or polish not sure what you could do for a statement piece/ product though any ideas?

You know since posting this I've been thinking about the statement piece. I think it should be something everyone would want to aspire to. You know that was the concept of the statement piece dress wasn't it? Fabulous looking. Drawing peoples attention. What everyone would want....

Soooo, how to do that in salon? I guess you'd build a package that every person who comes to see you would aspire to have. Sooo perhaps ...

For nail techs: "Have fabulous nails always" for a fixed monthly fee individuals get their nails maintained by a technician

For hair salons a similar approach could be taken.

For beauty salons a rich bundle of treatments each month.

And what I would say is don't be afraid of putting together very high priced bundles. You never know you might just surprise yourself! :)

Thouhgts?

Its one of my fave programmes on TV at the moment. She knows her business and market inside out and is just fantastic ... and always looks fabulous!

It does make you realise just how hard it is to own and run your own retail business, its a real world cut throat make money or close simple as that - you can't play at running business.

And how often do you look at what she says and does with a store and think "that is just so simple!"

I like your suggestion of a fixed monthly fee for nail techs, however do you think this would work with beauty??? Pay a monthly subscription say and then receive so many free treatments per month???

Your thoughts would be appreciated

ok ive found mary portas site that leads to the dailymail online and you can add a comment as she reads daily...i'm wondering whether to leave a comment and invite her as a guest to the geek site>? ..would be great if that was to happen just to get her input ....i'm brave enough & i would do it but how should i word it any tips>?

Last edited:
I like the idea, definetly a new way to thing of packaging the treatments.

But, would you WORD it like
July's Statement Treatment is

I do special offers every month, sometimes they aren't at a reduced price but packaged differently, eg
Wellbeing Massage, an aromatherapy back massage coupled with a reiki treatment 60 m £25. Now I charge that for that amount of time anyway.

I do also do a Wow treatment eg Ultimate Exfoliation
algae exfoliation, algae body wrap, reflexology with auricular acupuncture 2 hours £40

Helloooo! :)

I have something I made up in Word for future reference once I'm qualified properly in nails as well as everything else, I thought I'd share and see what you thought :) I can then implement a statement package with the products I choose to use along with an 'everyday' package using more affordable products and also I would retail the items individually as well. I'm not sure if it would be too confusing though.

UB Fusions
A selection of packages which can either be bought as a gift for a loved one, as a one-off for yourself! How about putting it on a monthly standing order and receive a 10% discount?
Package no. 1
Mini Manicure
Mini pedicure
1/2 leg wax
Bikini line wax
1/2 body spray tan (lower or upper)
£50
(£45 if on monthly
standing order)
Package no. 2
Basic Manicure
Basic pedicure
1/2 leg wax
Bikini line wax
1/2 body spray tan
(lower or upper)
£63
(£57 if on monthly
standing order)
Package no. 3
Luxury Spa Manicure
Luxury Spa pedicure
1/2 leg wax
Bikini line wax
1/2 body spray tan
(lower or upper)
£77
(£70 if on monthly
standing order)
Package no. 4
Full set of acrylic nails
One set of rebalancing
1/2 leg & bikini line wax
1/2 body spray tan
(lower or upper)
Basic pedicure
£94.50
(£85 if on monthly
standing order)
Package no. 5 - The Full Monty!
Full set of acrylic nails
One set of rebalancing
Full leg & bikini line wax
Full body spray tan
One top-up tan
Luxury spa pedicure + interim basic pedicure
£148
(£134 if on monthly
standing order)

I haven't edited it yet to include underarm or brow waxing yet but they can choose to swap treatments or add it to the package. They would then put it on a monthly standing order and I would book them in for their appointments probably at the same times each week (depending on variations in their schdule)

I've not implemented it as I said but it's another thing I have in my documents :rolleyes: to use in the future.

xx

redsadie ..it's brilliant & a lovely batch of treatments to offer in the package..imo speaking from a client point of view i would pay for one of the packages. well done

redsadie ..it's brilliant & a lovely batch of treatments to offer in the package..imo speaking from a client point of view i would pay for one of the packages. well done

:o Thanks Janey K, it's lovely to hear that something I thought about is actually something someone would consider buying :)

I think, as I said, I will include a 'luxury' or 'pamper' package and an 'best' or 'everyday' package so that it is tiered if you like.

Thanks again :hug:
xx

Redsadie, I love it!! Though I think it might be a little confusing for your clients (Eg, remembering what they get with which package), or for you (Remembering which client has gone for which package, and therefore which treatments they get!!! But in theory love it.

I want to tell you all a little story about this sort of payment scheme though, and I don't want it to put you off because I think it really can work, but please don't do what my old boss did.....!

At the first salon I worked at, my boss introduced a membership scheme. Nice idea to start with, as it was a brand new salon, and she wanted to be able to guarantee a certain amount of income per month, so signed people up for 12 month memberships to the salon at £40 a month. This entitled them to....wait for it......up to 60 minutes of massage or reflexology or indian head or waxing A DAY...!!!!! Bearing in mind an aromatherapy full body massage at the time was £35, that's too good a deal to miss out on! So, we had a lot of members, and a lot of regular income per month...goal acheived!

BUT....guess who ended up doing all the membership clients? ME!!! And guess who got sick to death of seeing the same clients every single day...ME!!! Basically she landed herself (and me) with the most repetitive boring days, and all the time we were treating the same membership clients, those clients who wanted appointments with us that would actually pay weren't able to book!! There were no available time slots! So though she had a guaranteed income, she effectively put a cap on her own earnings by booking up with so many members she couldn't fit anyone else in. We ended up turning so many people away it was so frustrating.

After a year of memberships, she sold the salon, and I think she's given up on beauty altogether. It's a sad story, because I think the idea is absolutely genius...perhaps it could have been executed differently?

So please don't let that put you off, but do think you scheme through carefully, and try to eliminate any pitfalls!! Good luck!!!

Is that on certain days for example Wednesdays & Saturdays only>?

After reading Bombalurina's thread which highlighted the good & bad points ,i agree you have to sort of fit other clients in

Overall they are very good packages & good prices. They will certainly attract a lot of interest.

Last edited:
Thanks Bombalurina :)

This entitled them to....wait for it......up to 60 minutes of massage or reflexology or indian head or waxing A DAY...!!!!! A day?!!!! My god, no wonder you got bored, lol!

I hadn't thought yet about HOW I would execute it, lol! Initially I would probably write the package number on the back of their consultation form, then when I got a minute write the actual treatments down and either cross them off or tick them as they have them. I would probably put an expiry date on them too, say 6 months to have all the treatments? Of course if they put it on a s/o then I would try to book them in at roughly the same time each week or month and try to book them in at quieter times/days.

Food for thought though, thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Latest posts

Back