Masking tape on daughters ears??? at school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, getting back on track.....and being married to a PE teacher who works with both primary and secondary kids, and spends far too long faffing about making sure simple rules are followed on a daily basis.....

If a child can not remove the earings themselves (or have them done at home before PE days) then frankly I dont think they are mature enough to have them done in the first place.

I dont mean to sound harsh, I am the most liberal parent ever, I got our daughters ears done in summer but when she couldnt handle taking them in and out without a fuss I made her remove them until she is mature enough to cope.

Honestly, the tape used may not have been appropriate but as has already been said, better than having the earings ripped out in an accident. And also dont forget this isnt meant to be the teachers responsibility and while they were faffing about getting tape on your daughters ears they also had the rest of the class to deal with, and get the lesson on track as quickly as possible

Flippin' heck, schools are too easy on children these days, and that laissez-faire attitude has certainly contributed to the lack of discipline in youngsters which is all too prevalent.
When I was at school earrings weren't allowed full stop, so there was never any discussion about masking tape or the like. If you showed up at breakfast with earrings in, makeup on, non regulation uniform on, you forfeited breakfast and were marched off to the headmistress's office. I can just hear the wails of protest in geekland at this, but you know what, we learned to respect the rules and we knew our place in the world. And when I hear about how young kids rule the roost and make their parents', teachers' and society's life a misery I think it's probably about time there was a bit more old fashioned discipline.
Sits back and waits for the flaming ;)

Flippin' heck, schools are too easy on children these days, and that laissez-faire attitude has certainly contributed to the lack of discipline in youngsters which is all too prevalent.
When I was at school earrings weren't allowed full stop, so there was never any discussion about masking tape or the like. If you showed up at breakfast with earrings in, makeup on, non regulation uniform on, you forfeited breakfast and were marched off to the headmistress's office. I can just hear the wails of protest in geekland at this, but you know what, we learned to respect the rules and we knew our place in the world. And when I hear about how young kids rule the roost and make their parents', teachers' and society's life a misery I think it's probably about time there was a bit more old fashioned discipline.
Sits back and waits for the flaming ;)

Why would you hear "hear the wails of protest in geekland at this"? Tough discipline isn't just the domain of boarding schools. My sons school sent him home until his hair was a suitable style, on odd occasions that they arrived at school minus homework due in and they have had lunch time detentions costing them time to go and have lunch and then a dressing down in the heads office. And there are many parents out there to this day, myself included, that when their kids come home being stupid enough to moan about something a teacher said or did, they get a dressing down from me too and extra chores or what ever seems suitable at the time to make it clear that what ever they did is not acceptable.

My views have garnered lots of comment in the past, that's all! V glad to hear I'm not on my own with my thoughts on discipline!

Last edited:
I think in many cases in schools the parents back off and hand responsibility over to the teachers too easily......

At the end of the day in this case the teacher did the best thing they could think of in the name of safety.....but they wouldnt have had to if it had been dealt with by the parents prior to school!

Rules and disapline are a two way thing, set and enforced by parents and teachers, the more its enforced at home the more the kids tow the line at school.

Our youngest is only 4, and a kid in his class had hit another I watced in horror as the dad levelled with him going

"Hey mate thats not really on is now mate, thats not nice now is it"

Call me what you like, but my response would have been along the lines of a very stern "YOU DO NOT HIT ANYBODY EVER....UNDERSTAND? "

OK, getting back on track.....and being married to a PE teacher who works with both primary and secondary kids, and spends far too long faffing about making sure simple rules are followed on a daily basis.....

If a child can not remove the earings themselves (or have them done at home before PE days) then frankly I dont think they are mature enough to have them done in the first place.

I dont mean to sound harsh, I am the most liberal parent ever, I got our daughters ears done in summer but when she couldnt handle taking them in and out without a fuss I made her remove them until she is mature enough to cope.

Honestly, the tape used may not have been appropriate but as has already been said, better than having the earings ripped out in an accident. And also dont forget this isnt meant to be the teachers responsibility and while they were faffing about getting tape on your daughters ears they also had the rest of the class to deal with, and get the lesson on track as quickly as possible

Totally agree with you.

It isn't safe for a child to wear earing's during PE and IMO if your child won't let earing be taken out and put back in then they should be taken out.........

It really shouldn't be down to the teacher to have to sort out our children's ears (OTT I know but how long would it take if every girl in the class needed taping over each lesson). My daughter is 9, she had her ears pieced when she was 6. For the first few years I would take them out before she went to school of a morning, now she has an envelope which she puts them into when doing PE and then puts them back in afterwards.

I have to agree with Tonilee here as I think the whole earring thing is actually the parents responsibility.

My daughter started school in September and the first thing that came up was that under no circumstances were earrings to be worn on p.e. days.
It is not the school being funny or imposing stupid rules but the local education authority rules.

If earrings were worn then they would not be able to do p.e. No tape, no arguing. Thats it.

If your daughter has her ears pierced then she has had them a while and you know when your daughter has p.e. Why did you not supply her with tape you know she is not allergic to etc? Why is it the teacher's responsibility? You know the rules. Why not be pro active instead of moaning because the correct tape was not used.

The rules are there to protect your daughter.

OK :) thanks for all the comments, much appreciated :), I forgot it was PE day, had other things on my plate so to speak, I'm not against her having tape on her ears, and yes masking tape was better than nothing..but that fact that it was long enough to go around half her face is what really peeved me off.
I spoke to the headmistress yesterday, and she insisted it was micropore tape, lol, I said I dont think so, I'd swear my life on it, then showed her the pictures that I'd took on my phone, yes it was good enough to take pics !! so she was going to check that out..
I've got some thin micropore tape now and covered her ears with it this morning for games today. The next project is to try and get her to take the earing out, she wont even touch mine and there well loose, so a bit of bribery might help in this case.
Some of the posts sound like I'm a really soft touch and have no disapline, lol, but I do, I'm not a total mug, Its just that I dont think, being too harsh will work with my girl , we all have different personalitys, even when bought up in house holds with other siblings, what works for one does'nt mean it will work for others.
I was bought up well with disapline, but I would only except it off my parents, anyone else lol noo way, it had to be respect,both ways, also my parents thought only they should dish out disapline and believe me I listened, especially to belt buckles!! which is something that I would never consider!
AS for the posters without children, who have given their two pennys worth, good advice, but please wait until you have you maybe have children , then you'll realise its not always that easy :)

Sorry to ramble and thx everyone, some interesting points raised, which I've taken in :hug: xx

As were on about kids, my sons teacher called the whole class stupid, to which my son replied "well what does that make you then" lol, he got a detention, but I think the teacher shouldn't of said this, I never told my lad off about it because I think the teacher could of said somethings more along the lines of "Hey u lot are a bunch of noobs" , I think it would of caused more of a giggle and respect from the kids, if he showed a bit of fun but with meaning :) thats my opinion anyway and I'm sure alot of you wont agree :lol::hug:

AS for the posters without children, who have given their two pennys worth, good advice, but please wait until you have you maybe have children , then you'll realise its not always that easy :)
Which is exactly the reason that I decided that I would never be sufficiently qualified to undertake what is, arguably, the most difficult, and certainly, the important job in the world.

Hi, just wanted to say that surely a child has to have the parents permission for to have her ears pierced. I was shocked when I read the parent saying "she was surprised when her daughter got them pierced!!!!!!"
The incident with the masking tape would have left me furious. I know better safe than sorry but MASKING TAPE isnt that used to mask areas you dont want the paint to get on! That is gonna hurt when pulled off as well. Why didnt this school have the proper tape to go on this poor little mites ears.
God that is so wrong! Id have pleanty to say to them and would be down the school the next day demanding some answers.

masking tape won't hurt anymore than most other plasters. Indeed there is masking tape available with a very mild adhesive so as not to damage a painted/papered wall.

masking tape won't hurt anymore than most other plasters. Indeed there is masking tape available with a very mild adhesive so as not to damage a painted/papered wall.

maybe some gaffa tape over a kids mouth would stop them whinging so much:)

Taking it off would save on lip waxing too....

What a good idea!

maybe some gaffa tape over a kids mouth would stop them whinging so much:)

Taking it off would save on lip waxing too....
Ha ha, that's lightened the mood a little!

Latest posts

Back