Masking tape on daughters ears??? at school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey Roberts

Reaction score
Hi, I hope I've posted in the right place??

Today I picked my girl up from school, shes only 8, and was horrified to see BIG pieces of masking tape over her ears, I know they have to either cover them up for P.E or take them out, but she wont let anyone touch them, not even me, so the Teacher covered them, absolutly riddiculasy with big pieces of masking tape..

Shouldn't they be using surgical tape on the skin?? I need to know if it could be harmful to use masking tape ?? afterall, if it was ok to use on the skin, wouldn't medical staff use it??

Please any opinions/feedback would be really appreciated,,,, I'm going to write a really moany letter tomorrow, 1 fact being the amount and the other, the tape,,, I will see the teacher but, I can put it better on paper, otherwise I'd get mad :mad:

Last edited:
Having been in childcare for nearly 20 years before I found nails I have to say I agree with the teachers precaution.
In a nursery, where I trained years ago, a little girl had an ear-ring ripped out of her ear. It was awful!!! Very scarey for the little girl and lots of blood!! UGh!
I agree maybe masking tape wasn't the best idea,,, but much better than the damage that could of happened

NO earrings are allowed for PE or swimming at my daughters school. If they have earrings in they can't participate...the reason being that parents complained about the use of tape.

Hiya

Its usually micro pore tape that they use....i wouldn't have been too upset by this....better safe than sorry and ripped out earing's would be far worse.

Hiya

Its usually micro pore tape that they use....i wouldn't have been too upset by this....better safe than sorry and ripped out earing's would be far worse.

Aye, micropore tape would be entirely appropriate as it is intended for medical use, e.g. holding dressings and bandages in place and whatnot. I guess it can look a bit like masking tape too; although masking tape is usually more beige in colour and not quite as transparent.

from reading your post i am presuming that your not objecting to the fact they were covered up for health and safety reasons more the fact that masking tape was used rather than surgical tape????
I think you need to ask the school if this was available to them to use and if not why not?, if you are going to go down that route. I am sure they have checks in place to ensure that first aid kits are fully maintained so they should have this item in school.
I have to agree though that it is better that this was used rather than nothing at all as the alternative to not using it could have been very traumatic for your little girl if an accident were to happen.

think i would have gone with the better safe than sorry seranio here, the teacher used what was at hand flower - dont get too upset by it, what would you rather,

a call telling you

your daughters ear-ring had been ripped out and could poss have permanant damage

or

oh we used masking tape, as we couldnt find owt else - just to be safe

i think you know the answer to this flower -

what would yu have done if the teacher hadnt done this and the earing was pulled out but told yu she was going to use masking tape

xx

Masking tape is much better then plasters, it doesn't leave as much of a sticky residue on the earings or the skin, much less chance of the earing being pulled out when you remove it to. But to be fare, if her ears have been pierced for longer then 3 months I would just take them out on p.e. days.
Better to cover them then to stop her from joining in imo:hug:

we have to supply the tape for our children if they have earrings and they come to school without it, then they are not allowed to do PE.

I dont think the glue in the masking tape would cause any problems to be honest, we use dto use it on the ward where i worked years ago to stop the eldery patients for m ripping out their tubes and IV as they could get the micro pore off with ease but for some reason masking tape was trickier to pick at.

Id supply the school the tape that you feel is better and ask them to use that. personally i cant use micro pore or plasters as have an allergy to them both.

tigi

Not as good as what my client told me yesterday;

Her girl is 12, and their science teacher makes the whole class stand outside (in this weather) for ten minutes if someone plays up.

Now surely, that ten minutes should be used for educational puproses rather than what seems a very primitive form of punishment for the entire class?!?!

The girls have to wear skirts and shoes, no trousers or boots. (which in itself i find appauling MAKING pupils wear a skirt, i would have been in uproar lol)

its ridiculous!

from reading your post i am presuming that your not objecting to the fact they were covered up for health and safety reasons more the fact that masking tape was used rather than surgical tape????
I think you need to ask the school if this was available to them to use and if not why not?, if you are going to go down that route. I am sure they have checks in place to ensure that first aid kits are fully maintained so they should have this item in school.
I have to agree though that it is better that this was used rather than nothing at all as the alternative to not using it could have been very traumatic for your little girl if an accident were to happen.

Thats right I dont object to them being covered up at all, my god I wouldn't want any harm to come to my girl at all, its the fact they used masking more than anything, my girl is so funny and squemish that its now hard to get off, I've given her a bath, to soak the tape, then I put solar oil over the tape to let it soak in.
Tried peeling it while she was asleep, but it just kept disturbing her, so now shes gone to school with the tape still on? trimmed of course, because the length what they used was absolutly unesscessary, must of been about 5 inches long, hair stuck to it aswell ( no surprise there )even a few moms were shocked at the sight of it.
Anyway I've gone and bought my own micropore tape, and shall cover them myself in future.
I've also written a nice but firm letter to the teacher about the use of masking tape.
I would take them out but as I said shes so funny incase anything hurts, I was shocked when she did have them pierced

Thankyou for all the replies, much appreciated hugs

Last edited:
Not as good as what my client told me yesterday;

Her girl is 12, and their science teacher makes the whole class stand outside (in this weather) for ten minutes if someone plays up.

Now surely, that ten minutes should be used for educational puproses rather than what seems a very primitive form of punishment for the entire class?!?!

The girls have to wear skirts and shoes, no trousers or boots. (which in itself i find appauling MAKING pupils wear a skirt, i would have been in uproar lol)

its ridiculous!

Thats just so wrong, I'd go bonkers or plan revenge lol :hug:

Simple really, take the earings out...... you are the adult and you are in charge.....

All schools have rules .......
then ways to get around those rules (like taping lobes) .... and I think all parents know and are informed of rules.

Would you rather earlobes ripped in half?

Who has the responsibility to listen ?
the little kid, or the mature parent.?

I don't mean to be harsh, but in this day of law suits flying, who is responsible?

I'd rather remove tape, then have a plastic surgeons bill to deal with.

So many questions....... yet so many warnings and advice.......

It's kinda like fences around pools, we have just had 5 deaths/drownings in the last week here .... ( even 2 poor 2 year old twins). Imagine your kid saying "mummy I don't want a fence around the pool"? Would you listen to her/him?

Parents are are supposed to be responsible and are supposed to listen to rules to protect their children from harm (obviously for their own good)............ before it's too late.

Damage, deformity and even death must be a very bitter pill to swallow, when a little caution can avoid them.

Everyone's gone a little soft these days, bring back the ol "foot up the ass" I say ......... kids need it every now and then, and sometimes it's the parents that need it.

Never hurt me.:!: maybe just a little :) (but at least I have intact lobes/bones etc)

Last edited:
Everyone's gone a little soft these days, bring back the ol "foot up the ass" I say ......... kids need it every now and then, and sometimes it's the parents that need it.

Never hurt me.:!: maybe just a little :) (but at least I have intact lobes/bones etc)

DITTO I'm having probs at school these days because the teachers are 'new age' and don't believe in discipline:rolleyes: (not so much as a time-out or lines to write) Having a meeting with them on Friday... and they're gonna get an EARFUL. I'll be d****d if I let them turn my daughter into a beast:!:

We don't have such a rule at my daughter's elementary school, but she's wearing 'sleepers' and not studs. They're very thin gold wire hoops that will bend or pop open for almost nothing (getting her own hair caught on them) which is why I buy them. She loses them often, but I'd rather pay 10$ a pair for earrings that will pop open for nothing, than a fortune for studs that stay 'stuck' and hurt the ears. It's not to say that they're safer and she likely shouldn't wear them in gym class either.... but I definately concede it's my responsibility to remember to take them out on gym day OR supply my choice of tape.

Granted.. if I'd been an educator, I certainly would NOT have used masking tape and would have told the child to remove the earrings and put them in a ziplock baggie, into her school bag.
So, I likely would have been angered or annoyed by the choice of tape too, if I'd forgotten what day of the week it was (which is easy enough to do, been there done that...)

Oh btw if the parents don't apply the tape the school aren't allowed to do so at my daughters school....it's the parents responsibility.

I was taught by nuns and one threw a board duster at my head for talking in class....I never did it again:cry::eek:
If you think the rules these days are harsh.... we had caning...you don't know pure evil until you've had a nun as your teacher:lol:
Not many people were naughty though I must admit!!

I actually CAN see why you are not happy with this...
I think its the humility thing, of the masking tape being sooooo long when not really needed to be that long by the sound of it..
and the fact it was also stuck to her hair shows it wasn't placed with too much care
(I am only thinking about how I would think if it were my kid)

But I agree with the others that yep it was needed...

I have flipped a number of times at things our school has done, that haven't caused my kids and physical harm...but yet I think were totally uncalled for,
Such as making the whole class sit on the playground floor time after time because a few of the lads were naughty...
I went in and told them imo it was disgusting, as the floor was freezing (and wet at times) plus the boy's spat on the floor...
One teacher screamed "SIT" at them all (another mum heard her)
I shout at my dog like that...not children
Once I said I wasn't happy..A few of the other mums did too..and it stopped...

My daughter was also scared of me touching her earrings Hun when she was little... and like you I just then avoided doing it to not "cause a scene"
I don't want to freak you out, but The earring back eventually became embedded in her ear...
She actually ripped it out when writhing about on the carpet screaming as I tried to be the softest mum in the world to coax it out...
Blood everywhere mate !"

I now wish I'd have just been a more forceful parent with her when she first had them done and MADE her let me do what I needed to do...
So I kind of agree with Carl too :hug:

Did she get given the tape and have to put it on herself? Thats the rule at both schools my boys have been at (some of my sons have pierced ears) and would explain the amont of tape and it being stuck to her hair. I'm not saying yours did, just if your daughter doesn't like people touching her ears they may have asked her to do it.

If your upset I'd call the school and ask them about it :hug:

Judy, my Mum told me she had a black board cleaner hurled at her by a teacher a few time for talking! I avoided most of that although the headmistress of my highschool walked down past me on two steps half way along a school corridor where I was sitting chatting to friends during lunchtime. She hit me around the back of the head with a book as she went past me :lol::lol:

off track but still....

3 weeks ago there was group of parents out for blood cos of something a supply teacher wrote on the blackboard....

Morning Class

My name is Miss Smith

Take out your reading books and start to read quietly

NO DAFT QUESTIONS

:lol:

now i asked my daughter what she thought the teacher meant by this....and she said....its all the questions that all new supply teachers get asked...whats your first name...do you have kids...where do you live...what do you eat for breakfast....

I think i would have wrote the same thing...:lol:

ok even more off track in response to angie's post, my mum worked in a pub opposite a secondary school and the teachers all went for lunch there every friday. One lunchtime this teacher came in and was moaning about having a bad day, cause of all the questions and back chat she was getting in class, one BOY said to her infront of the whole class ''whats up miss time of the month is it???''.....omg i would have had a duster thrown at me as well if i had said that to a teacher, and looking back now i think rightly so.

Some of these comments have made me smile, and think oh god I had teachers just like those:rolleyes:
Kay was 3 when she had her ears pierced, she screamed the place down with the first one but held still for the second one so I guess she really wanted them done:lol:. That was for her birthday, which was January and beyond cleaning I left them alone. Then for Christmas she got 10 pairs of earings from friends and family and that was it, she had the whole thing of washing her hands, cleaning the earings, then her ears and changing the earings down pat in no time, she thought she was the bee's knee's bless her:)

Latest posts

Back