Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a glass dappen dish especially if using polish or acrylic paints as it stops it drying out. I did use a mixing pallet the other day when using additives/pigments mixed with the mm (I needed 5 colours and didn't have 5 dappen dishes so this was perfect 😊) i then just clean out with cotton wool and scrubfresh (or whatever you have that you would use to remove the gel tacky layer)x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Brilliant, thanks, good idea with the pallet, I have one of those, don't have a dappen dish as not trained in acrylic.
I used a shot glass today lol, which worked fine.
It's all practice and trialling I guess, exciting though!!

Yeah that would work or anything small like an egg cup x

You can buy little empty pots off the mm website. I use these, they come with lids and if I have any left over from a clients mix I can just pop the lid on and use it up on my own nails (often adding a bit more polish etc to change the color slightly)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry for all questions, how do you all measure it out so enough for a full set, so far I've only tried it out on colour wheels and I seem to use quite a bit of product?

You don't need a huge amount. Only a few drops if using from the bottle or a small scoop if using from the pot. Its only for colour so you don't need the same amount as if you were doing a full set of gel enhancements for structure x

I saw this thread pop up in January and waited for others too try and test with all the variations before taking the plunge!

I've just ordered the set and I'm so excited for it too arrive! I have around 150 Barry M colours and 30 Essie colours that I can't wait to play with!

I use Gelish and do get frustrated when seeing the problems with colours fading. I know Gelish do everything they can to help resolve these issues. I do feel this will be a solution for pastel colours and offering a wider variety to clients.

I love the fact, when I get my business together, I will be able to offer clients a wide variety and the option to bring any colour of their choice. This alone will really help me during my official start up and hopefully (research pending) will give me the upper hand in my area.

One thing I did notice when ordering is that you don't need to login to view prices. Maybe it's just me, but I do like to keep those things hidden from clients. I'm not sure if this was raised before and I've missed it but maybe something to amend in the future Martin.

I can't wait too text my nan and tell her she can buy any polish or have any polish she likes and it will last for 3 weeks or more! She will be so excited, as will I!

You can still get colour fade I'm affraid. I saw a pinkie lilac polish fade to a grey almost immediately after application using MegaMix. So do a trial to see which colours work.

Hi for some reason I just can't seem to get the mega mix to work, I used their base and too coat mixed it how they said, it's chipped today and it was only done yesterday :( I've tried this on other clients and they all said it chipped really quickly. The base coats so thick that it won't come out of the bottle. Its a shame that it won't work for me as I got really excited about this product. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400697107.303822.jpg

Hi for some reason I just can't seem to get the mega mix to work, I used their base and too coat mixed it how they said, it's chipped today and it was only done yesterday :( I've tried this on other clients and they all said it chipped really quickly. The base coats so thick that it won't come out of the bottle. Its a shame that it won't work for me as I got really excited about this product. View attachment 65564

I would contact Martin the supplier re your base coat. You may have one that's a bit off, my base coat is as easy to use & a similar consistency to the topcoat. The way you describe the base you have doesn't sound right.

Hi for some reason I just can't seem to get the mega mix to work, I used their base and too coat mixed it how they said, it's chipped today and it was only done yesterday :( I've tried this on other clients and they all said it chipped really quickly. The base coats so thick that it won't come out of the bottle. Its a shame that it won't work for me as I got really excited about this product. View attachment 65564

Mine chips like that dead quickly too. My base coat is thick but not so thick that it won't come out the bottle. It's just a bit thicker than the top coat. I thought it was my nails or my application. Ain't had chance to try it on a client yet... Other than one nail biter... Now I'm a bit confused

Emma-Louise

My clients mostly get 2-3 weeks from mm. Some of those clients are lucky to get a week out of shellac, so for me this really is a dream come true!

I personally can get 2 weeks from it, unless I am doing a lot of massage - too much oil just literally lifts it straight off!

I am by no means an expert as I have only been using a month or so, but make sure your not overloading the mm with polish/additives. I have only had one client chip within a week, I drove myself mad wondering why, and the only thing I can think is that she was a bit fussy over the color wanting it darker, and then it was too dark, so I think I may of just added too much Vinylux!

My base coat is quite thick and gloopy too, but a little goes a long way, so again just take care not to overload.

Hth

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had premature chipping with 2 of my clients. They were the only 2 I've used additives on. O clearly haven't quite got the ratio correct with additives yet :( lol

I think this product is fab and I think it's just trial and error until you find your perfect mix ratio ;)

My base coat is very thick, but I apply the same way as I apply my gelish base coat. Pop a small amount on every nail and then I use a gel brush to work it in so it's nice and thin xxx

When I did a rockstar nail it was solid and wouldn't budge! Only removed it cos it got dyed from tint when my gloves tore! But the rest just kept chipping or peeling. After a day of this one I currently have on it has a small crack so I filed the rough edge and applied two more coats of mm and another top coat.. And now it's been three days with no chipping so fingers crossed it gets me through a full day in the salon tomorrow! I'm wondering if I just didn't put enough mm on to strengthen my nails first. Cos my nails are like paper... Does come off my toes! Infact it takes forever to get it off after over a month on lol! Need to find a client with healthy nails to trial on so I can compare results

Emma-Louise

When I did a rockstar nail it was solid and wouldn't budge! Only removed it cos it got dyed from tint when my gloves tore! But the rest just kept chipping or peeling. After a day of this one I currently have on it has a small crack so I filed the rough edge and applied two more coats of mm and another top coat.. And now it's been three days with no chipping so fingers crossed it gets me through a full day in the salon tomorrow! I'm wondering if I just didn't put enough mm on to strengthen my nails first. Cos my nails are like paper... Does come off my toes! Infact it takes forever to get it off after over a month on lol! Need to find a client with healthy nails to trial on so I can compare results

Emma-Louise

How do you do your rockstars nails, interested to know as I'm struggling to get good coverage with MM do you use a base colour first??

I did the base coat... Then two coats of mm mixed with a silver polish... Then I scrubbed silver glitter into the tacky layer, then did two top coats. They came out lovely!

Emma-Louise

Hello, has anyone tried and succeeded in applying mm base, then just a normal polish, them mm, then glaze? Just wondered 😊

Ordered mine during the week and I'm so excited to try them! I feel like a kid,haven't been this excited since Shellac!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello, has anyone tried and succeeded in applying mm base, then just a normal polish, them mm, then glaze? Just wondered 😊

You would have to ensure the polish was fully dried to do this. IMO I would just mix a few drops of polish in with the mm and apply as a gel polish (part of the reason why martin designed mm) 😊 x

I finally got to try MM on a client. She is a dishwasher and Shellac is just not durable enough for her so I invested in a Gelish base/top and black but she wanted orange with black tips. My local salon supply was totally sold out of all shades of orange Gelish and I was not about to invest in 2 - 3 more colours to make an orange at this time for one client.
I used an orangey shade of Venique and an orange "Young Nails" glitter additive to get an awesome colour. The MM consistency was awesome and easy to work the colour into. I started with about 50/50 to play it safe and then by the 3rd coat it was about 70/30 polish/MM to make it darker. I had to apply about 4 thin coats and adjust the mix to achieve the right colour but it worked. The final coat before the Gelish top coat was just MM and glitter. Keep in mind, this young lady's hands and nails are very dainty so it was not easy.
Would this be considered a MM "Rockstar" Nail?
This is the result:

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 309
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 362
Is it possible to use CND shellac base and top coats with MM as the colour? I'm excited to try it 😬😬😬😬😬

Is it possible to use CND shellac base and top coats with MM as the colour? I'm excited to try it 😬😬😬😬😬

You can, but obviously as with any product, you will get optimum results using the complete system x

Latest posts

Back