Men and their attitude towards our jobs!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eternalscot

Reaction score
Im in Beauty and my friend owns a hairdressers and we were discussing this yesterday. How come men think we have the easiest jobs in the world? I fell out with my brother yesterday as apparently I have no idea what it is like to do a "professional job with time demands for reports" he is a PHD in mathematics and earns less than me and has less capital than me too, like most show off boyfriends I have met that sprout the same nonsense. My friends husband is a gas engineer and says your alright to my friend your snip, snip and a few quid. How many of you have had put down comments from men about your job?

I tend to find this 'mind set' if you will, is not just exclusive to men. Ive seen some people literally glaze over when I tell them what I do, similarly my husband who is a bus driver gets much the same attitude.

Bottom line we know how demanding our industry can be and really thats all that matters. My husband works 6 days a week, travels a 140 mile round trip to work each day and his best shift he can hope for is a nigh on 10 hour shift. The thing we always remember is the money. However snooty someone gets, however beneath them or less demanding they think our jobs are, I know im paid well for the hours I work and my husband is on a good wage for what is deemed as a non professional job ie no degree etc. We're certainly not well off but I love my job and by and large so does my husband.

Some people in life just think they work harder or lifes much worse for them, some people have a stressful busy work life, some a personal one and some both. As the saying goes don't judge me till you've walked a mile in my shoes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Could it be that our job seems glamorous to these people? They couldn't begin to imagine the continued learning we do to maintain our skills. I honestly feel that people who try to minimise our chosen path are unhappy with themselves. Think of it like this if you were truly happy with what you do and were enjoying it would it even come into your head to try to put someone else down? No it wouldn't!! You would be too busy thinking positively about yourself! If we know we are successful, then comments like this should go in one ear and out the other because they are irrelevant!:wink2:

Im in Beauty and my friend owns a hairdressers and we were discussing this yesterday. How come men think we have the easiest jobs in the world? I fell out with my brother yesterday as apparently I have no idea what it is like to do a "professional job with time demands for reports" he is a PHD in mathematics and earns less than me and has less capital than me too, like most show off boyfriends I have met that sprout the same nonsense. My friends husband is a gas engineer and says your alright to my friend your snip, snip and a few quid. How many of you have had put down comments from men about your job?

Sometimes the most "educated" people can be the most closed minded. It's their loss because it's their ignorance that probably affects their life in other areas too.

Let them be closed minded. You don't need to justify your job and how you live your life to anyone but yourself :)

I think that a lot of men would say and think that even if you as a woman was running a multi million pound company. They always think they work harder and longer.

The one that really gets me is when people assume you're not intelligent. Get lost! Arrghh! As it happens I have a degree and a masters but I don't have to justify my choice of career (because then the response is, 'Oh so why are you a therapist then?') ahahhhhghhh!

Personally for me my husband is my no 1 supporter, when I was studying he saw how much hard work I put in, he even helped me revise, and knows quite a bit too. So I am one of the lucky ones as he sees me as a professional. However a lot of people I know or meet think I am thick because I am a Beauty Therapist and, when I get on my high horse (which is quite a lot!) and start descibing muscles, bones, nail terminology etc they soon shut up!! ha ha! xx

Quite a few years back I was playing a game of monopoly with my then BF, his brother & his girlfriend. Due to the alcohol flowing, I kept missing people landing on my properties. My then BFs brothers response was
"What do you expect, she's only a beauty therapist"!! To which I replied..."well your only a shelf stacker" I will never get over the cheek of his small mindedness!!

Personally for me my husband is my no 1 supporter, when I was studying he saw how much hard work I put in, he even helped me revise, and knows quite a bit too. So I am one of the lucky ones as he sees me as a professional. However a lot of people I know or meet think I am thick because I am a Beauty Therapist and, when I get on my high horse (which is quite a lot!) and start descibing muscles, bones, nail terminology etc they soon shut up!! ha ha! xx

We must be the Lucky ones , my hubby has helped me every step , and his co workers know ALL about Shellac and CND and witch salong to go to blah blah blah cos he tells them all about it lol

I tend to find this 'mind set' if you will, is not just exclusive to men. Ive seen some people literally glaze over when I tell them what I do, similarly my husband who is a bus driver gets much the same attitude.

Bottom line we know how demanding our industry can be and really thats all that matters. My husband works 6 days a week, travels a 140 mile round trip to work each day and his best shift he can hope for is a nigh on 10 hour shift. The thing we always remember is the money. However snooty someone gets, however beneath them or less demanding they think our jobs are, I know im paid well for the hours I work and my husband is on a good wage for what is deemed as a non professional job ie no degree etc. We're certainly not well off but I love my job and by and large so does my husband.

Some people in life just think they work harder or lifes much worse for them, some people have a stressful busy work life, some a personal one and some both. As the saying goes don't judge me till you've walked a mile in my shoes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I agree with you 100% xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I know it's difficult, but if we react to such comments then the person in question has won!

As a bloke who owns a salon (and bearing in mind the thousands of male therapists and hairdressers out there!) - it's not a man thing!

I just find that some people just can't comprehend being self-employed.

They see it as some kind of "hobby"- without realising that without people like us who have the bravery to go and work for themseves and set up businesses then the worker-drone 9-5 button pushers wouldn't be in jobs themselves. :lol:

It's not just a man thing.if I say I'm a beauty therapist I get told I can't possibly work as hard as someone with a manual job. What are we automatic? There are lots of really physical parts of our job.

If I say I own a beauty salon I get much more respect, it's crazy!

My husband and dad see how hard I work, know how much it has taken to get where I am and respect me for it.

I have had petty, snide remarks from men and women.

We must be the Lucky ones , my hubby has helped me every step , and his co workers know ALL about Shellac and CND and witch salong to go to blah blah blah cos he tells them all about it lol

My hubby is very supportive too girls, he always has been throughout my career but he is a bit brain washed now . He notices ladies nails when he's out and about and on the telly too. haha. CND has a lot to answer for .A big beefy roofer saying ' look she has Shellac on' is funny.:biggrin:

Great replies the other thing is they think business is easy to find and coach loads of clients just turn up at your door, no prior work involved. I went out with one chap that wanted me to sell my shop and house to help fund a mansion in the middle of nowhere and I said "what I am going to do for work", he said "just get another shop" priceless!

I was quite sucessful in my 20s with my salon and the other thing I got when I had owned nice house and flash car was "Am I an upmarket prositute?" AFTER telling people what I did!

As a bloke who owns a salon (and bearing in mind the thousands of male therapists and hairdressers out there!) - it's not a man thing!

I just find that some people just can't comprehend being self-employed.

I agree,totally not just men :lol: and I will hands up admit that I often do think some beauty therapists/hairdressers are a bit stupid... not because of their job though, more often than not it is because they have said or done something stupid lol.

Just this morning, both my parents were having a laugh and making jokes at me because I was telling about the classes I had lined up over the next few months. I was explaining what a CND grand
master was and why I wanted to be a certified medical tech and they thought it was hilarious, like I had said I was going for my doctorate in grocery bagging! My husband reacts the same way. It really gets me down.

It's not just men, I think its people who have diplomas and phd's who are close minded, and after all the conversations we have we pick up a lot of information off lots of people.

Next time the math person gives you a derogatory comment about your education laugh at them and say "well you wasted years learning what a calculator already knows" xoxo

It's not just men, I think its people who have diplomas and phd's who are close minded, and after all the conversations we have we pick up a lot of information off lots of people.

Next time the math person gives you a derogatory comment about your education laugh at them and say "well you wasted years learning what a calculator already knows" xoxo

Not that I don't agree with your point, but a PhD in Mathematics is a lot more than just adding up; it's a 100,000 word thesis. Some of these people have put more than a decade of work into their education. As someone who would be considered "highly educated," most people have no idea how much work goes into dissertations, experiments, theses, etc.

My other half is so supportive he came to work for me! I don't have time to promote, do my website etc so he does all that for me! Yep he's my bitch!!!

Latest posts

Back