MMA client.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosey

Reaction score
hell everyone im just letting you about me 1st client this morning and seeing if anyone woud of done the same ??

well i went in to a soak off and poss new set..... to find the salon had left me 1 hour for the appointment .... they had told her it wouldn't be possible. Anway she had said that she had them done in manchester, a chinese lady took 40 mins and her fingers were so sore afterwards and she actually wanted and infill and asked would there be a difference. I explained that there would be .... if they bonded which i didn't think they would with them bein mma products, she evewn said to me that they were illigAL .... yet still went in and had them done. !!!
In the end i said that i would not touch them as she hasn't have time to take them off as i coulfdn't give her a specific time due to the products. So i removed the nail art design and placed a french polish on top. She was going back to manchester wednesday so i advised her to get them removed there and come back for a new set which she agreed to.

i think i did the right thing as i have had a nns client in b4 and i fully regreted it what would you guys do ?? xx

Personally I woyuld never send someone back to an NSS. I have had clients who had enhancements removed at NSS salons using cuticle nipper or an e-file right down to the natural nail - both of which have caused a great deal of damage to the nail plate.

I just allow plenty of time to remove it by soaking or rebalance if possible. HTH

TBH I would not of sent her back to let them be 'removed' by her old salon, particularly if it was like you said. I have heard of a few horror stories of the enhancements(??) being removed by a thumb nail pushed under and prised off (ouch, ouch).
I would of advised her that due to the difference in products, there would be a possible difference in colour, however, you could of covered it with nail art after doing the infil if needed.
Then re-booked her for a soak off, in which she would have been able to get a professional removal & there be no more damage to her nails other than what was already there, followed by another set/overlay or manicures.
I would be surprised if you ever see her again. If you do, prepare yourself for a severely damaged nail bed.

totally agree with adele and bev, no sending clients back to nss..thats what we are here for, safe removal/maintenance......it is perfectly acceptable to thin out and overlay using your own product....and let the old product grow out (by leaving the old product on ..mma....or whatever else, the natural nail and what ever damage underneath is being protected.)
to be honest if your advice was to go back to the very place where she got those nails..and damage and pain too boot...she wont be going back there for a removal, and you may just have lost out on a regular client, and a client in need of re-education from yourself

Imo, it is better to de-bulk and rebalance the existing product, rather than remove and replace.

I had a client in yesterday who had nss nails on, who originally wanted a soak off and new set, until I explained about the probable damage that we would find underneath, so in the end I thinned them out, and did a lovely set of P+W. She came back in today for her hair appointment, and commented on how lovely they looked now, and they didn't feel like weights on her fingers now they are much thinner. And she'd had several nice comments on them from others :green:

I would have just de-bulked and re-balanced, but warned her that there may be colour differences. Generally I use a coverage pink to try and even this out.

Our 'nearest' NSS (thankfully a good 50 miles away) 'removes' old tips, by forcing a new one down inbetween the tip and nail and literally pings them off.....one now client of mine previously got hit in the eye by it!

hello , well i didn't realise that they would remove like that.!!! i have done a nns client befor and had a nightmare so really didn't want to start that again but maybe i should..... i did offer her a soak of but she never had time also, she has booked in for new set wen she gets back but she wanted something doing with them as she was going out so i did the best i could within the time to :(
i done the wrong thing :eek::cry:

I would have just de-bulked and re-balanced, but warned her that there may be colour differences. Generally I use a coverage pink to try and even this out.

Our 'nearest' NSS (thankfully a good 50 miles away) 'removes' old tips, by forcing a new one down inbetween the tip and nail and literally pings them off.....one now client of mine previously got hit in the eye by it!

Before I trained in nails, I confess I did go to a NSS, this removal technique was down on me by putting the artificial nail tip in between my natural nail and the acrylic and pinging it off, it ripped several layers of skin off and I ended up with very damaged nails awful really awful.

If an NSS client came to me, I would insist on soaking off the NSS nails. Yes, it will take a long time, and this will be reflected in the price, but ultimately I can guarantee a safe removal followed by a safe and professional service (if they want a new set on), something which the NSS will certainly not provide, so it;s worth the extra money.

I would never rebalance NSS nails, and I wouldnt even de-bulk them as I dont want to breathe in any of that MMA dust, remember that even if you have extraction units and use dust masks, the dust particles hang in the air afterwards.

I could be wrong but i didn't think MMA dust was anymore harmful than non MMA dust...??? the only bad thing about MMA is its inability to adhere to the natural nail...hence having to rough the nail up so much (usually with a drill) to get it to stay put.

To be honest I've heard contradictory reports myself, but I have heard various reports that have said it is harmful to health. I tend only to listen to what I would regard as reliable reports, and I have read that MMA can cause health problems that can result in (amongst other things) nerve damage to the fingertips.

To be honest I think it would be nice to see a full report published by someone like Habia to dispel any myths (if these are myths), but in the meantime, until I have a detailed knowledge about MMA, I wont touch it with a bargepole and I wont expose myself to the dust particles from it.

Not only illigal salons have liquid with MMA. I paid for a very expensive nail coarse. The Brand is well known in Germany en the Netherlands, After a few weeks of training I found out that the brand has MMA in there liquid. I was scared to use it on my models so I flused it away and replaced it with liquid from EZflow. The Trainer did not even notice it strange because the liquid she had given me to work with had a horrible smel to it ( never smelled that with any other liquid) I did ask her about it at first she lied but I was so persistence that she finally told me : Yes it is in there but it is just a little bit of MMA and not harmful. Well never used any products of the Brand again, how can I place this on my clients nail when I know it might damage her nail for ever.

I could be wrong but i didn't think MMA dust was anymore harmful than non MMA dust...??? the only bad thing about MMA is its inability to adhere to the natural nail...hence having to rough the nail up so much (usually with a drill) to get it to stay put.

I just copied this from the U.S Environmental Protection Agency website. No wonder it's banned in the U.S!:lol:

• Methyl methacrylate is used in the manufacture of resins and plastics. Methyl methacrylate is irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. An allergic response to dermal exposure may develop. Respiratory effects have been reported in humans following acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) inhalation exposures. Respiratory symptoms observed following acute exposures include chest tightness, dyspnea, coughing, wheezing, and reduced peak flow. Neurological symptoms have also been reported in humans following acute exposure to methyl methacrylate. Fetal abnormalities have been reported in animals exposed to methyl methacrylate by injection and inhalation. EPA considers methyl methacrylate not likely to be carcinogenic to humans.

I just copied this from the U.S Environmental Protection Agency website. No wonder it's banned in the U.S!:lol:

• Methyl methacrylate is used in the manufacture of resins and plastics. Methyl methacrylate is irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. An allergic response to dermal exposure may develop. Respiratory effects have been reported in humans following acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) inhalation exposures. Respiratory symptoms observed following acute exposures include chest tightness, dyspnea, coughing, wheezing, and reduced peak flow. Neurological symptoms have also been reported in humans following acute exposure to methyl methacrylate. Fetal abnormalities have been reported in animals exposed to methyl methacrylate by injection and inhalation. EPA considers methyl methacrylate not likely to be carcinogenic to humans.

:eek::eek:....that good eh !!

thanks chelle, :hug:

Ou my...all of that sounds so scary! Cant believe that people are actually going into these places over and over again. And the removal...ouchh!:cry:

I have not seen any mma application. Could anyone please share a photo? Dont think i will meet them here in Finland though...but you never know.

I would have never sent the client back there! Would have thinned them out (as long as it takes) rebalanced with my ever best effort to keep the client not going back there.

Ou my...all of that sounds so scary! Cant believe that people are actually going into these places over and over again. And the removal...ouchh!:cry:

I have not seen any mma application. Could anyone please share a photo? Dont think i will meet them here in Finland though...but you never know.

I would have never sent the client back there! Would have thinned them out (as long as it takes) rebalanced with my ever best effort to keep the client not going back there.

Just take a look here!

Google Afbeeldingen resultaat voor http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/mindymaucelli/Nails/MMA%20Damage/drill_damage2.jpg

or here!

Google Afbeeldingen resultaat voor http://janenee.tripod.com/mma/mma-damage_2577.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion as Chelles... I've nearly had an asthma attack filing that stuff off.

When I speak to them on the phone, I educate them and ask them to get them removed where they had them done.

EVERY client has come back to me. Pleased they were educated. A client will not pay for two hrs worth of soak off. And I'm not letting the rest of my clients deal with the smell of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow that is awful... that poor lady having her nail removed... Why are these people still allowed to operate....

If a client comes to me from a NNS I explain that things are going to take time to get them looking nice and healthy.. I give them the choice to soak off ( no fumes as they are in either foil or those little pots) and explain that it will take about 3 hrs from start to finish.... or they can have a rebalance but there will be a def colour diff and once again it is a time factor before they will look nice..
It doesn't cost me anything for the client to sit there and soak away... I do other clients while they are there ( I have a double desk as there used to be 2 techs)... I just attend to them every now and then to make sure all is going well...
I only charge them a small fee on top of the full set just to cover costs etc... they are so pleased with their new nails that after all the fuss I have a client for life... they are amazed at the end of it all.... sell them a bottle of solar oil and you have a tidy sum and a happy client.
Sorry it is so long... got carried away LOL

Oh ladies, I so wish I had a camera last week when a new client visited me (former NSS client).

She has now got permanently disfigured and discoloured nails because the NSS nails caused such an aggressive infection in her nails, they went septic and weepy and eventually dropped off. The article that Silvanne posted rings true with me now, because this ladies nails are now the most horrendous shape, and (her doctors words not mine) this permanent damage is the result of the nails applied at the NSS. She said it was the most painful thing she has ever experienced, and had sought me out having been given the all clear from her doctor, although since she had quite natually been put off enhancements for life by her experience, all she wanted from me was something to mask the damage caused.

I explained that my enhancements would not cause any damage, and she decided to try a full set of custom blends to hide what's underneath. I'm glad that she loved the results, but what really sticks in my mind was how she kept asking "what are you doing here" for bits that she hadnt had done at the NSS, you know, little unimportant bits like prep;).

Latest posts

Back