mmr injection for my baby

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shell 22

Reaction score
im really worried about my sons next injection that is coming up he is 11 months and its the mmr (measles mumps and rubella)im worried as it has been linked to trigger off autism shall i have it done or leave as im worried i would be gratefull for your advise please:confused:

Hi Shell,

Ultimately it is your decision. I did quite alot of research into the MMR with my last baby. It is a bit of a minefield. :eek:

I had grave concerns about the injection and after much thought I decided not to let her have it. It has now come to the time when she is due her booster (for an injection that she never had:rolleyes: ) I am happier now with her having it as she is that much older and I feel has a stronger immune system....she was quite a sickly baby. I have been told that she may have to have another one at a later date as she didn't have the first one.

MHO is that when they are so small to keep giving these immunisations is overloading their little systems. They have to have so many it does make me worry.

I don't know if my decision was right or wrong but I can say it was one of the hardest I had to make.

Good luck xxx

You must get it done. But your are entitled to find a doctor who will give these injections seperately. Your local Health Authority will advise you on who practices in your area. You may have to travel for it. Both of mine were ok after theirs but a few people I know did it the way I've just explained and were very happy. At least you'll have peace of mind then. Best of luck jus

I was also really concerned about this as my son was born in 1999 at the height of the scare. After much research I decided to go the single jabs route and then did the same with my daughter 3 years later.

It's not cheap and you ahve to travel - I made 3 separate 50 mile round trips and paid in excess of £300 for the 3 jabs, but to me it's worth it.

Also, you do not have to have the boster. Just tell the nurse when your child has their pre-school jabs that you don't want MMR boosted and they wont do it. They may well argue with you (my Dr's surgery do regularly!) but stand your ground.

Ultimately it's your choice. I am the only one of my group of friends who went the single jab route, everyone else went for MMR and their kids are fine. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with, and what's right for your child.

It's not an easy decision, and I wish you luck. If I can help you further then feel free to pm me. I'm not an expert but I do have an informed opinion!

HTH's

I know you are concerned hun, but with something as important as this I really think you should be chatting this over with your doctor. We're not medical experts and can't make a decision for you. Both mine had it well before all the scares started, but for me the risk of getting measles far outweighs the risks of any side effects and so I would still have made the same choice, but that's just me. Seek professional advice so you can make the right decision for your child.

You must get your child vacined one way or the other, Measles can be a killer.
My little boy had single vacines, each given 6 months apart. They cost about £120 each. Research single vacine clinics on the net, but do please vacinate.
Hope this helps.:hug:

It is entirely your decision what you do, I went the single jabs route for my son with Direct Health 2000. They were fantastic, he has only just had his mumps jab after quite a long wait but I don't think there is a shortage for that one like there used to be.

My daughter is 7 in August and she was diagnosed as Autistic when she was 2 and a half. I really don't know if it was the mmr I'm not going to blame it on that anyway and never have! It's maybe something that just happened to her so when my son was born it was just natural for me to be a bit wary and that's why after a lot of thought and discussion with my doctor, we decided single jabs. My daughter hasn't had the booster mmr, after a talk with my health visitor she said it only gives them 10% more immunity, don't quote me on that as I'm not sure if the figures are correct but that's what she told me anyway.

Please don't let my post influence you, I am just telling you how it was for us and as I said I don't blame the mmr and have many friends/family who's children have had the mmr because I haven't influenced their decision!

Hi there, I can understand your concerns but the risks are minimal and with the latest outbreaks of measles doing the rounds I would be worried. I have two daughters and when they were due their boosters the scare stories came out. There were worries too that not only was there a risk with autism but also for bowel disease and since I have Crohns disease, the girls have a 1 in 100 chance of contracting the disease too. I had a lenghthy chat with the consultant and made the decision to have the injections.
The thing that worries me is that so many children aren't given the injection and mumps and measles has returned (although in small numbers).
In the end only you can make the decision and I understand that it is a tough one but I would be on side of those who have said, have it done.

Kimmie

I also did a lot of looking into this and both my brother and sister in law are nurses - one working with autistic patients and i still decided to go for the mmr for all three of my children as have all my friends and i do not know of anyone affected however i do have a friend from school who has severely impaired vision in one eye as a result of measles when she was a child. I feel everyone should make a choice on there own understanding and circumstances.

Kimmie said:
Hi there, I can understand your concerns but the risks are minimal and with the latest outbreaks of measles doing the rounds I would be worried. I have two daughters and when they were due their boosters the scare stories came out. There were worries too that not only was there a risk with autism but also for bowel disease and since I have Crohns disease, the girls have a 1 in 100 chance of contracting the disease too. I had a lenghthy chat with the consultant and made the decision to have the injections.
The thing that worries me is that so many children aren't given the injection and mumps and measles has returned (although in small numbers).
In the end only you can make the decision and I understand that it is a tough one but I would be on side of those who have said, have it done.

Kimmie

I completely agree with kimmie, it is entirely your decision, I had the same problem with mine, I spoke to lots of people friends etc but you need to talk to a professional as they will know the latest information and not the scare mongering that goes on in these situations.

I decided that the risks with the jab were far less than the risk of measles
(especially now with lots of cases cropping up across the country) they would both have the mmr, they had no side effect what so ever.

Go see your health visitor/doctor, and look on web there are lots of sites with information on there too.

it's your decision at the end of the day hunny, my children received all of the vaccinations at the required times when they were younger, i personally felt they were better off to have them.
Measles is a killer at the end of the day, not trying to scare you, it's a fact. There's a lot to weigh up with the pro's and con's of the MMR vaccine and loads of info available to help you make the decision.

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?q=measles&scope=newsifs&tab=news&edition=i

It is ultimately your decision but...

Measles is a really dangerous disease and unless people have the mmr then it will start again. There is outbreak of it in clusters across the UK at the moment and this is from romany familes that were unable to be contacted to get them to have the MMR (or so the news says).

A couple of days ago this was on GMTV and it was stated by a health official that the information regarding autism resulting from the MMR was withdrawn as it was incorrect, but once it is in peoples heads it is too late. Autism is known to be recognisable from approximately 2 years onwards, which is why this link was orignally made, but no one can proove that autism is a direct link of having the MMR. The percentage of my daughter developing autism against her developing measles if she did not have the jab meant that she had her MMR.

Hope you come to the right decision for you and your little one.

Take care.

I was the same as you, confused worried about the side effects etc. but in the end I both did lots of research and came to the conclusion to go ahead. Touch wood my little boy is fine. He's healthy, fun loving and very intelligent. However i did ponder on the three seperate injections for 6 months, and in the end decided on the MMR. However my neighbour who is an A & E nurse says she'd never let her child have it. Maybe conflicting interest from health pros but they have an opinion too.

I found this one of the toughest decisions in my life...especially as it was around the height of the scare...I remember thinking that this could alter his life forever...but I went with my gut feeling and that was to have it...If you look into it more (I have watched many documentarys on this) and this was scaremongering, they say where there is fear there is someone going to benefit financially and they say its those doctors who brought out the single vaccines that initiated the scare in the first place. But ultimately, the decision can only be made by you and you only.

I was worried sick about this and gave oliver the first one which he ahd a reaction to but luckily he was in hospital having it done so was treated fairly rapidly. After thsi i chose not to give him the booster injection.

There is researcha dne vidence for both sides of the fence but at the end of the day it is your decisiona dn no one can make it for you. if worried find out who does the single vacinations and do it that way. Sadly there wasnt anyone in my area who did this it meant goign to france at the time, but olly had german measles at under a year so wasnt to bothered about that but when his brother got mumps a while ago he didnt suffer at all. my eldest lee was one of the children who they ran out of vacination for when they were at senior schoola nd introducign it to everyone and ahve to say at 19 he was really ill with it as well as half the company he woked for who went down with an epidemic.

shell 22 said:
im really worried about my sons next injection that is coming up he is 11 months and its the mmr (measles mumps and rubella)im worried as it has been linked to trigger off autism shall i have it done or leave as im worried i would be gratefull for your advise please:confused:

I had this vacation 32 years ago as did my brother, and I think I even had a booster shot a high school and I am fine

In all seriousness two good friends of mine are health visitors and they both strongly recommend that all children take the MMR

Only you can decide maybe you should talk to your doctor, nurse or health visitor to weigh up the pros and cons first before making any decissions

Great! I have all this to look forward to from August.

It all makes me so nervous as you try to do the best you can, do all the right things through your pregnancy just for your precious baby to come out into the world and have to face all this scary stuff.

I don't know what I will do about the MMR, I have a bit of time to think about it though.

xx

can i just say that when my boys had the MMR jab last year they were fine and dandy, even though we had to have it done at the hospital as one of the twins (joshua) has an egg allergy and as MMR is cultured using egg they advised me to have it done at the hospital.

also the hype about autium and MMR is not all based on fact. look into it thats what i did and the PRO's deffinatly out weigh the CON's as far as i was concerened...........

JMHO , ultimatly it is your choice but if it was me i would give it to them again.

Like many of you, this was the hardest decision I had ever made.
After agonising over it for a long time, I spoke to my health visitor who told me that her children had recieved their MMR jab.
This helped me make my final decison to go ahead, but I admit, it's not something I've ever felt 100% happy with, but happier than running the risk of them catching measles mumps or rubella.
Its a hard decision to make...:hug:

what an odd post, this is quite close to me at the moment as my godson has just been diagnosed as autistic ........ after doing quite a bit of research it seem the mercury preservative commomly used is what many are questioning, and if this is supposed to be safe why did the prime minister of your country(Tony Blair) take his own children to Paris to be immunised where they dont use mercury as a preservative, there has to be something in it, why isnt english immunisation good enough for the Blair family

Latest posts

Back