Mobile nail tech - 1st appointment!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Calls

Reaction score
I should be happy...I had my first client yesterday BUT OMG did I want to run!

She asked for gel overlays when she booked...I was prepared for gel overlays.
Firstly...she gave me attitude on the phone...I was close to telling her to get stuffed - I called to confirm her appointment, which she text me asking for 8pm... and I got "er no, i put my kids to bed at 8pm...you can come at 9pm" - I thought, gel overlays, will be out there by 10pm!
Then....Not only did I have to carry a table, my chair, my tool box (i got a JCB tool box and put all my kit in there - just as well!!!) ALL THE WAY to the 4th floor of block appartments because there was no lift! And then carry it all through narrow corridor to her flat.
Got there...whilst she was filling out a record card, i was setting up...she then tells me she wants tips too! Ok, no problem...at 9pm.

I allowed myself hour and a half...this girl had a runny nose...I wanted to walk out. Every 5 minutes with a tissue, up and down, ripping tissue, blowing her nose...i had to constantly wipe her nails, and start again (tissue was getting onto the sticky residue)...didnt finish till 11.50pm!!!!!...And then to my surprise, her partner didnt even help me to take all my stuff to my car...

:cry:

What do you when you get to your client, and she changes her mind about what she wants done, and has a full blown runny nose which she cant control and a partner with no manners?

May be am too much of a princess, but when she said to me she was very happy with the service and will defo call me, I wanted to tell her "no, please dont...this wasnt worth it" - obviously i didnt!

I have another lady tonight, and she sounded lovely on the phone...so fingers crossed it will be a better experience!

I would politely explain that that's not the treatment they booked in for and that you are more then happy to do the overlays this time and perhaps book in for tips on the next visit (especially given the time.

I was mobile and the last straw was when I went to do gel overlays and a spray tan, 5th floor flat, all that equipment, no lift and again a rude unhelpful boyfriend (was on the playstation with no top on and chain smoking...arrrggghhhhh). I am now working from my own home.....best decision I ever made!!!!

I feel your pain hun...nightmare!!!!!

This one wasnt on play station, just smoking...puffing actually...I didnt know what to do! I didnt know if I should've said something or just continued...so I continued.

And..there were no lights outside on the street...so I was carrying all my equipment in pitch black, on my own....Oh the manners!

I think what had actually upset me a little quite a bit was the fact that at the moment to bring in clientele, i decided to do a 50% off till 19th December (because by then they will need infills or soak off, etc, so they will be back)...I mean, no matter how cheap or expensive a service is, I was always told to leave a tip... I didnt get one. I just got wacky backy smell all over my clothes as a reward!

Oh no how awful...it's so disheartening when stuff like that happens, don't let it get to you hun.

I'm not sure how I would've reacted when I started out but I have learned that you have to be quite firm when it comes to appointment times as if people think they can mess you about they will!!!

I have some clients who tip really well and others who would happily stand around waiting for an hour for 50p change...I always think of tipping as good manners but some people just don't tip anyone 😒😒

Oh you poor poor thing nailcalls, what a horrid way to start. I did mobile a bit, but decided after a few years of it, I'm too old to run around after people so I let the young girls do it, and just I just do nails from home which is far better, but we dont all have the luxury of a spare room.

It's not all as bad as your first experience, think you had every possible piece of s**t thrown at you in one night !! Talk about being thrown in the deep end :eek: I'm sure from now on every visit will be breeze compared to that.

I think you must state that you came out for gel overlays, so gel overlay it is. Say you haven't got the tips with you if they get difficult, or you have another customer to get to so haven't got the time. Don't be a push over on this one, and remember 'you are fully booked always' if she tries to get you back and you don't want to go.

Good luck with your next appointments :biggrin:

Oh you poor poor thing nailcalls, what a horrid way to start. I did mobile a bit, but decided after a few years of it, I'm too old to run around after people so I let the young girls do it, and just I just do nails from home which is far better, but we dont all have the luxury of a spare room.

It's not all as bad as your first experience, think you had every possible piece of s**t thrown at you in one night !! Talk about being thrown in the deep end :eek: I'm sure from now on every visit will be breeze compared to that.

I think you must state that you came out for gel overlays, so gel overlay it is. Say you haven't got the tips with you if they get difficult, or you have another customer to get to so haven't got the time. Don't be a push over on this one, and remember 'you are fully booked always' if she tries to get you back and you don't want to go.

Good luck with your next appointments :biggrin:

I do mobile because I don't have a spare room! I really wish I did because I'm fairly new and already hate it! Although I think I will only do it for a year or so and then maybe rent somewhere simply because I don't have the stamina. The story you describe is hilariously familiar and I fear having much more of what you describe to come! I wouldn't re book her late in the evening again though lol!

I do mobile because I don't have a spare room! I really wish I did because I'm fairly new and already hate it! Although I think I will only do it for a year or so and then maybe rent somewhere simply because I don't have the stamina. The story you describe is hilariously familiar and I fear having much more of what you describe to come! I wouldn't re book her late in the evening again though lol!

I remember flights of stairs and difficult people on mobile visits, but not every possible nightmare all on one visit.. lol.. did I have lucky escapes ? :biggrin:

I don't mean this to sound unsympathetic but really, what do you expect ? If you want conditions that are under your control then rent a space somewhere. Until then. .. It is what it is. You suck it up or change it to what you want.

I don't think you can expect your clients family or partner to help you with your equipment. Nice if they do, but that's equality for you I'm afraid.

As for tipping. I believe that the price paid is inclusive, whether its a hairdresser or in a restaurant. For an exceptional service, where someone goes out of their way to be helpful or beyond the normal customer service, yes than I consider a tip too. But only then. Good customer service should be included, erm.. that's the nature of the job.

Its not always that bad, Ive never had an experience like yours.

Personally I wouldn't have done the tips, But be sure to explain an overlay is only on the natural nail when booking just to be clear.

I always decline help in carrying my equipment, ok yours was a difficult one but again not everyone is willing to help.

Tips- again you cant expect a tip, I have regulars (with a lot of money) who never tip, & regulars who don't have a lot of money who do!

I am surprised at the amount of wacky backy Paraphernalia in show at some houses but thankfully never had anyone smoke it around me. That would make me uncomfortable.

Not everyone is like that, maybe you should be 'fully booked' next time she calls.

Hope your next appointment is much better.

Xx

I should be happy...I had my first client yesterday BUT OMG did I want to run!

She asked for gel overlays when she booked...I was prepared for gel overlays.
Firstly...she gave me attitude on the phone...I was close to telling her to get stuffed - I called to confirm her appointment, which she text me asking for 8pm... and I got "er no, i put my kids to bed at 8pm...you can come at 9pm" - I thought, gel overlays, will be out there by 10pm!
Then....Not only did I have to carry a table, my chair, my tool box (i got a JCB tool box and put all my kit in there - just as well!!!) ALL THE WAY to the 4th floor of block appartments because there was no lift! And then carry it all through narrow corridor to her flat.
Got there...whilst she was filling out a record card, i was setting up...she then tells me she wants tips too! Ok, no problem...at 9pm.

I allowed myself hour and a half...this girl had a runny nose...I wanted to walk out. Every 5 minutes with a tissue, up and down, ripping tissue, blowing her nose...i had to constantly wipe her nails, and start again (tissue was getting onto the sticky residue)...didnt finish till 11.50pm!!!!!...And then to my surprise, her partner didnt even help me to take all my stuff to my car...

:cry:

What do you when you get to your client, and she changes her mind about what she wants done, and has a full blown runny nose which she cant control and a partner with no manners?

May be am too much of a princess, but when she said to me she was very happy with the service and will defo call me, I wanted to tell her "no, please dont...this wasnt worth it" - obviously i didnt!

I have another lady tonight, and she sounded lovely on the phone...so fingers crossed it will be a better experience!

Fingers crossed for your client tonight.

I wouldn't expect a clients partner (or anyone else) to help me carry my kit but that's why I don't want to do any mobile work.

If I turned up at the agreed time and someone asked me to come back an hour later I'd say that I had to be on my way to another client not long after. Even I that wasn't the case, I wouldn't let someone feel that I desperately needed their custom and that they could mess me about like that.

It's all a learning curve so wishing you all the best with it :)

Hiya All!!

Thank you all so much for your responses...

Its not that I was expecting a tip, but someone who had to constantly stop and restart because she couldnt manage her nose, and was getting tissue all over gel, I would've liked to have seen a tip (as a sign of appreciation).

I'm an ex smoker...I never did wacky backy, just cigarettes...and wacky backy makes me feel sick. So whilst I was uncomfortable, I was also sitting there heaving...I mean...go outside, smoke it in the toilet, out the window, balcony, whatever...I used to have a mobile hairdresser come to me, never had I smoked or my family, in front of her. That is disrespectful. You dont know if that person smokes or not. As it turned out, she was a smoker LOL

The same girl text me last night to tell me one of her nails broke. Right, heres the thing. She wanted them SUPER long! I told her that recommended is half her nail plate, otherwise there is a chance they will break.
I dont understand how she broke her nail - I've done tips before, it wasnt my first time, i've practiced on friends and family. All who had tips, successfully grew them out!! No breaks!!
I file the nail, buff the nail (240 lightly, and 180 buff down). There were no bubbles, no gaps. 2 layers of Calgel colour...and 1 layer of Clear to build and strengthen...I dont know what to do now!!

But anyway, had another client last night. And she was SOOOOOOO SWEET!! Couldnt stop talking. Such a lovely lady!
She offered to help me with all my equipment to my car, which yes, I did decline. But it was the thought and consideration of "would you like some help, let me get this for you" that made me smile a lot.
Hopefully they can all be like that....

And here is the difference regarding where they both came from.

I was advertising on a free listing website, and at the same time, my mum took one of my leaflets to one of the shops.

Free listing - i ended up with wacky backy.

Leaflet - i ended up with a lovely lady!

Put her down to experience & block her telephone number. You seriously don't want her business in future ;)

I personally firmy believe that if a client wants them super long then they need to do home repairs and maintenance themself. I have 2 ladies who have enhancements ridiculously long, one does nothing much as far as I can gather from her lifestyle and she comes running over to me for every fix up, the other one I have had for 3 years now and she does her own home maintenance until she wants a fresh set.

I would not be prepared to go out to someone who wants fix ups every five mins, she needs to learn to use a home kit imo.

Apparently she has the same issue with acrylics (which, are naturally stronger than gels)...she has 3 kids, stay at home mum, so a lot of housework is involved there...i told her its not practical to have nails that long, with three kids and pulling a buggy all the way up those stairs with shopping in tow.

So, no...there is no way I will go there. As far as I am concerned, I warned her about the suitable length, and aftercare. If she chose not to listen...i wont go back up those stairs to sit in wacky backy. My car still smells of it! And my coat!
:Scared:

... Oooohhhhh the joys of starting out .... Lol ...
What I would say its a learning curve from qualifying in the comfort of a training room to being a mobile therapist ...
I have 2 prolapsed disks - I don't do clients in flats above 1st floor / I don't do high rise flats either after turing up to go to the 5th floor and the lift not working and then having to have 2 days off after carrying my mobile table,stool & trolley on wheels up and down ...
(it's my business, it's my back and it's my choice on which clients I do and don't do - the joys of being self employed - yay ..)
I think we all understand the situations that being mobile arises ...
Getting up to just put the washing in or Turing up on time to, I'm just cooking tea for kids first, washing up, to putting kids to bed/ bathing them, or the kids sitting on their lap when your trying to do nail extensions/ painting nails, to answering door, or to a house full of their family also being there... to little fingers messing with my equipment ... I do understand that it is hard for moms who need home apts to fit around family's but ...
(which I now only take out what I'm using and lock the box so their little fingers are not in my box messing/products/ equipment)
( I call it the pied piper syndrome - they see you and a box and they wanna mess)
It is the joys of being mobile I'm afraid and Geeg is completely right, which is why I now have a beauty room at home so I don't have any of it, so any flats they have to come to me, i also dont have children in my home, i tell them im not able to cater for them as my insurance does not cover them,
... if I do mobile I'm quite upfront to telling them your apt is at 6pm it will take 1hr and my next apt is at 7.30pm So I need to leave at 7pm... Is that ok for you or would you like earlier / later.
If I turn up and they are faffing about I do state that I can only stay for their allocated time slot and it may cut their treatment time but cost will still be the same ...
It may sound hard but you have to be, after hours of sitting patiently at clients houses waiting for them to sit and have the treatment ... When I want to go in do treatment and go to next client or most importantly back home at the end of a long day ....
Lol ... But on the whole you have to go through it to realise how/where you want to work ...
But it's all good fun ... Lol ...
Xxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back