Mobile Therapists - heating wax pot in car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliza Doolittle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Does anyone do this? I have bought 3 types of 'in car' accessories to enable me to plug in my wax pot while travelling, but they all fused my wax pot each time!!! I have heard that there is something available for this, but unable to find one. Thank you.

Hi There:)

If you plug the waxer in at your clients house as soon as you arrive BEFORE you do anything else, you should find that by the time you have set up your couch and all your other bits the wax should be ready for you to use.
If you find this is not working for you then how about giving the wax a head start and warming it before you leave for the appointment. (obviously this would only work if you have the wax appointment first)
I have not seen any in car gadgets for this situation however I will have a look at various sites and keep you posted:hug:

I always warm my wax before I go to the clients, there has been situations when I am just waxing where my wax has got too cold so I've asked them to put it in the microwave for a minute. It sounds a bit unprofessional but usually it is client's who have waxing regularly and know me. It's either that or wait for 30 mins. for it to warm up!

I am at college at the moment and this is a question we have asked our tutor who used to be mobile.

Her advice was as above. Plug your pot in as soon as you get to your clients home. No doubt you will be using warm wax only and this melts quickly compare to hot wax.

Whilst your wax is melting, set up and do your consultation. I really would not recommend travelling whilst heating up wax in your car.

You can also try to schedule your waxing clients as close together as possible so that the wax remains warm between clients thus requiring less melting time.

You can buy devices called "Inverters" that take a feed from the car's cigarette lighter and transform it into 240V AC for powering mains appliances - you need to be careful that they have enough power for the appliance in question though or else they might blow or trip a fuse.

So you'd need to check how many watts your wax heater used, and buy an inverter with a higher maximum wattage than that (always best to have some extra watts in reserve so it is not straining its guts too much).

Although personally I'd be worried about the wax going everywhere if I had to brake suddenly or whatever!

I have been wanting something the same, I bought a power invertor from argos a couple of month's ago. I had checked the watts of my wax heater and bought the correct invertor- but it still blew my fuse in the car

Ah, now I see... quick question... how many watts was the wax heater and how many amps was the fuse that blew?

It was 350 watt with 500 watt peak power. My wax heater is either 300w or 350w

Thanks everyone! I do pre heat my wax pot as much as possible, but sometimes it can start to cool if I have to travel a bit further away. As I said, I have 'blew up' 2 pots with these transformers and I thought they were going to make my life easier! Its not the first time I have had a spillage in my boot either! Oh well, I will just need to be patient and wait on it re heating. Thanks x

I have one of these inverters for running my airbrush compressor at markets. I run it straight from a small car battery and have no problems with this. Maybe you could try running it this way, from a separate battery rather than the one in your car.

Maybe a motorbike battery would work to save space, not sure though.

It was 350 watt with 500 watt peak power. My wax heater is either 300w or 350w

Right, that's gonna require around 30 amps current at 12 volts for a 350w wax heater (possibly more if you get some losses in the inverter)!

That's quite a substantial current drain - you'd need at least a 30 amp fuse and would need to make sure that the cabling in your car was up to the job, as you wouldn't want it to overheat!

Normally the only thing that takes that kind of power are things like the glow plugs in a diesel car and possibly the starter motor... wow!

I got mine on-line it is called AC Anywhere by Belkin and is 300 wats or 230v output. It works for laptops or TV's, fan heaters, anything. I cant remember which site I got it from and it cost less £30 a year or so ago. It plugs into the cigarette lighter point. Not had a prob with it at all.

Caravan/camping web-sites are good for this sort of thing.

oh dear ladies..is it really wise to carry hot wax about in your car..what if you break hard or have an accident..its going to go everywhere as well as possibley over you!!!!

Would you carry hot water inside the cab of your car while you drive around??

From a safety point of view best not go plugging in heaters inside your car...
obviously you will need to take wax with you to your appointment so make sure it is in a sealed box and preferably carry it in the boot of your car
Good luck and be safe

oh dear ladies..is it really wise to carry hot wax about in your car..what if you break hard or have an accident..its going to go everywhere as well as possibley over you!!!!

Would you carry hot water inside the cab of your car while you drive around??

From a safety point of view best not go plugging in heaters inside your car...
obviously you will need to take wax with you to your appointment so make sure it is in a sealed box and preferably carry it in the boot of your car
Good luck and be safe

I use roller wax so no danger of spillage, also I have it wedged into a box on the floor so no danger of things sliding about or falling over. I would never sit it on the chair as that would just be silly. Also I tape the lids down so they dont fall off.

:hug:

Thats why I like the PHD waxing system as it heats up really quickly for me. I wouldnt be warming my wax up in the car, if you had an accident, you could really scald your foot etc..but I know how frustrating it is, esp when its really cold outside and your behind time

:green:Hi All,
I'm a new kid on the block to this website - but have heard loads of great ideas and help come from here so here I am with my 10p worth....

Phd is ideal for mobile- I quickly boil my clients kettle - I carry and thick pint jug with me and stick in the tube with the boiling water - while the machine is still heating and bingo ready to go really soon!! - plus I normally get a cuppa then toooooo!!! :)

Wouldn't drive around with wax pot sorry - I'll be the one featured in some health and safety item of what not to do!!!:!:

Right, that's gonna require around 30 amps current at 12 volts for a 350w wax heater (possibly more if you get some losses in the inverter)!

That's quite a substantial current drain - you'd need at least a 30 amp fuse and would need to make sure that the cabling in your car was up to the job, as you wouldn't want it to overheat!

Normally the only thing that takes that kind of power are things like the glow plugs in a diesel car and possibly the starter motor... wow!

ruth you are such a clever lady!:green:

Hi all Kim the wax queen gave me some great advice which i have done. If you buy some little tupperwear containers and put a bit of the wax in the bottom and then when you get to the clients house ask them to pop it into the microwave and then pour it into your wax pot and bobs your uncle. X

I don't wax so this is just a "I dunno if this would work but might do" kinda thing!

Would you be able to use a picnic cool box, with a couple of hot water bottles inside, surrounding the wax in it's pot? That way it'd not be hot, but would be warm enough to take less time when you arrive?

Hi all Kim the wax queen gave me some great advice which i have done. If you buy some little tupperwear containers and put a bit of the wax in the bottom and then when you get to the clients house ask them to pop it into the microwave and then pour it into your wax pot and bobs your uncle. X

It worked???? Damn I'm good. LOL xxx

Latest posts

Back