More spray tanning questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachey

Reaction score
hi geeks,
I no there have been alot of threads over the past few days regarding spray tanning... and Im afraid im not going to be stopping that trend as i would really appreciate some advice :).
I am very new to spray tanning. Below are some questions that if anyone could help me out with I'd be extremely greatful. i apologise in advance if any of them are silly or obvious..but i am new so please bear with me!! :)

1) ok so number one is when giving a client pre-treatment advice, and you explain that they must not wear any lotions perfumes, deodorants, makeup etc on the skin, if for example they have been at work all day and are going home to shower remove makeup and come over for there spray tan, how long would you advise that they do all this before the spray tan. I no ideally that you want the skin to have nothing on that might react with the tan but how long would you recommend that they shower at the very latest before a spray tan?
( i have a friend coming over this week for a tan and she will have been working all day, im worried that maybe there wont be enough time between her using products on her skin and then showering off with just plain water before having the tan that it might some how effect the tan?.. sorry if this seems like a silly question but i just want to make sure Ive got all the correct advice to give to clients and so that I no i have done everything possible to ensure there tan comes out perfectly!)

2) If product is still on the skin and the skin goes green.. does this wash off with the guide colour? or will it effect the final result of the tan aswel?

3) A friend of mine who let me practise my first tan on her absolutly hated using the sticky feet.. it was fine until we went to remove them and we literally couldnt get them off her feet!!! ( how embarressing!!) we managed to get them off but she found it quite painful and she was still left with almost ' sticker' like areas on her feet which she had to peel off when she had her shower... sounds so unproffessional and embarressing! -which is why i need your advice geeks! has this ever happened to anyone else? And is there anything im doing wrong that could prevent this from happening? help me geeks!! lol

thanks in advance geekies!!
x

hi geeks,
I no there have been alot of threads over the past few days regarding spray tanning... and Im afraid im not going to be stopping that trend as i would really appreciate some advice :).
I am very new to spray tanning. Below are some questions that if anyone could help me out with I'd be extremely greatful. i apologise in advance if any of them are silly or obvious..but i am new so please bear with me!! :)

1) ok so number one is when giving a client pre-treatment advice, and you explain that they must not wear any lotions perfumes, deodorants, makeup etc on the skin, if for example they have been at work all day and are going home to shower remove makeup and come over for there spray tan, how long would you advise that they do all this before the spray tan. I no ideally that you want the skin to have nothing on that might react with the tan but how long would you recommend that they shower at the very latest before a spray tan?
( i have a friend coming over this week for a tan and she will have been working all day, im worried that maybe there wont be enough time between her using products on her skin and then showering off with just plain water before having the tan that it might some how effect the tan?.. sorry if this seems like a silly question but i just want to make sure Ive got all the correct advice to give to clients and so that I no i have done everything possible to ensure there tan comes out perfectly!)

2) If product is still on the skin and the skin goes green.. does this wash off with the guide colour? or will it effect the final result of the tan aswel?

3) A friend of mine who let me practise my first tan on her absolutly hated using the sticky feet.. it was fine until we went to remove them and we literally couldnt get them off her feet!!! ( how embarressing!!) we managed to get them off but she found it quite painful and she was still left with almost ' sticker' like areas on her feet which she had to peel off when she had her shower... sounds so unproffessional and embarressing! -which is why i need your advice geeks! has this ever happened to anyone else? And is there anything im doing wrong that could prevent this from happening? help me geeks!! lol

x

Hey

Ok so.....
1)you have told them not to wear any prouducts, thats all you really need to do. I have the sienna x tanning forms so they tick if they have anything on. If so I have the sienna x spray that get rid of it all. A lot of my clients jump in the shower before they come. And it's fine, I also tell them to make sure all body wash is off.

2) if it goes green it will wash to the guide colour

3)yes I have clients who hate sticky feet pads! I also do as it tickles my feet and are very sticky. Sienna x do some that are not very sticky. They have sticky rows instead of the whole foot part. However a clean towel and barrier cream also works, I know people who use barrier cream and stick the feet to couch roll. This also works if you do it right, otherwise the couch roll falls of during the appointment.

Hope this helps

Xx

hi geeks,

x

Hi rachey,

I always ask my clients to do all tan prep 24 hours before there appointment, I make sure they are aware not to come to me with any deo/perfume/moisturisers on there skin, I don't tell them not to shower before they come. that's there choice & I don't care what they do as long as they come to me with there skin naked of products. some ladies tell there clients to not shower for so many hours before there tan because of the ph balance of your skin as sometimes it can affect the outcome of the tan... I don't bother with this information as the majority of my ladies work all day, rush home for a quick shower & come to me straight after there shower. no ones ever had a problem tan because of it. If your worried though & it makes you feel better then maybe say to all your clients make sure you bath/shower at least 2 hours before tan just to be sure. although personally I wouldn't bother.

I've had armpits go green because of deodorant. (even though clients are told not to wear any!) don't worry it's the guide that's green, the tan will still develop & be brown on wash off.

I don't use sticky feet, I used to but my clients didn't like them being removed. most complained it was too ticklish lol so I now just use a nice big black towel at the bottom of my tent. once client steps out of tent after tan, I give them a baby wipe & tell them to just wipe bottoms of soles of feet, nothing is ever on the wipe but I just like to be sure!

Hth x

Hi rachey,

I use sticky feet but had the same problems as you to start with. Now I only take the backing paper off smaller sections at either end so only the heel and balls of feet are actually stuck. Another trick is to use a little barrier cream on the bottom of the feet or directly onto the sticky part to make it less sticky!!

HTH hun xx

I ask my clients to apply barrier cream to the soles of their feet and then stand on 2 pieces of couch roll. Once you start spraying the weight of them standing on the tissue makes it stick to their feet no problem.

Only 'complaint' I would have is that the tissue blows up over the foot when spraying so u need to hold it down with your free hand, if that makes sense! X

I would suggest prep spray as the only way you can really guarantee the client's skin to be free of products/oils etc. (including natural ones if they haven't showered like you say, or are just more naturally oily/sweaty than most).

Thanks for all your advise geeks :) . So helpful and I really appreciate it :). Iv just done my 3rd tan .. And on a paying client and it looks like its turned out really well... There wasn't any area I wasn't pleased with :)... Let just hope it still looks great once she's washed it off !!! Lol x

Latest posts

Back