More ways to promote your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this has been mentioned before but it bears repeating.
Keep in touch with your clients regularly using a dedicated bulk email program. I personally use Constant Contact for both the salon and the distribution company, but there are free ones available like Mail Chimp.
I send out no more than 2 a month and without exception it brings in at least two new appointments.
What do I put into them? I might choose something topical like the weather e.g. "your skin will suffer in this cold weather; you might want to consider xxxxx cream which is nourishing and protective"
Even if people don't take up the special offer, or whichever treatment/product I'm promoting what it does do is prompt people to make an appointment anyway, "aha I've been meaning to ring and this just jogged my memory!"

Whichever program you use don't make the mistake of using your normal email software like outlook, hotmail etc when sending out bulk email. It will likely get tagged as spam, and could land you in bother with your ISP.

If you haven't been in touch with your clients lately jump to it! If you're at a loss as to what to say in an email to them drop me a pm with your email address and I'll add you to our lists and you can see what we say to our clients!

Totally agree on everything Lynne has said and using your 'local' email isn't a good thing to do as it can land you in all sorts of hot water. A recognised email comm's provider such as MailChimp is good and I use AWeber, which is another good system (and easy to use) and the pricing isn't bad at $USD20 per month. The key, I've found, is regular communications. Whether it's weekly or twice per month, try and do it on the same day at the same time of any given week. Clients actually do come to expect it and miss it when it doesn't arrive. I've had situations where clients will phone me and ask if they've missed it because they are keen to see the specials etc.

In October we were so quiet, I really did start to panic!
So I decided to put my thinking cap on and come up with a new way to promote my salon. I didn't have any sort of budget, so it had to be free!

In the end I googled local companies that had quite a number of employees and then picked up my telephone! I spoke to the receptionist of about 20 organisations, explained I owned a local beauty salon and that I would like to offer a discount to all of their employees. I asked who would be the best person to speak to, and I managed to get through to someone on each call. I then emailed over a poster, which I designed myself on Word, offering an introductory discount for initially using our services and a standard discount to be used thereafter.
By the end of the week I had booked up the whole of my next week!
Just goes to show you what you can do with a little creativity! :)

Love this idea x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361217011.455397.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361217011.455397.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 858
We have partnered up with a local gym and offered their members a discount in return for having our flyers and cards around the gym... Their members feel like they get extra with a membership and I get the business from the members...

Have also got a deal going with a local personal trainer who is very popular around town... Her clients get a discount from me and my clients get a discount from her... Working both ways ensures we promote each others businesses...

We have done the local clubs, pubs and sporting clubs offering vouchers for raffles and fundraising... But have also approached local night clubs, offering them some vouchers also as giveaways in return for a "shout out" from the DJ's...

We have printed the QR codes out and popped them in random spots with no other markings enticing people to scan them... It takes them to like our Facebook page and receive $5 off their next treatment...

Also local buy/swap/sell sites on Facebook (huge in Australia)... We post/bump every second day to promote the business...

We are completely mobile and only offer spray tanning and body scrubs at the moment... But will be adding extra treatments in the next few months...

I've just posted an advert on the noticeboard of Netmums to say that I am more than happy to donate 20% of blalalbla nails to an event where they will have a raffle or a competition and if anyone knows of any please feel free to contact me..

So far I've had two responses in about 3 minutes!

A newsletter has been burning a hole in my list of things to do for the new year, so I really need to get a wriggle on with it. I'm going to use Mailchimp, but I'm not entirely computer savvy.

With regards to staying out of trouble with my ISP and not using my normal email program, is it as simple as just downloading a different program to my laptop and use only that to send out just my newsletter?

Yep - most of it will be done online, going through their servers and not your ISPs.

If join huddlebuy on Facebook not only are they offering a free izettle (card machine for your phone) but I just got a free e book 50 Facebook marketing ideas. I'm now going to read it. Hope you all join too for some extra tips! :)

This is still valid, as I've just signed up! Thanks for posting!

This thread has been great...I've just done lots of online marketing...thanks!

Here are the places that I've just signed up to

Wahanda
All in London
Trusted Salon
Thomsons Local
Yell.com
iGroup
Lavish
Qype
Scoot

(all free listings!) x

Yep - most of it will be done online, going through their servers and not your ISPs.

Thanks Lynne, I'm going to focus on this this weekend.

I've just found a site a couple of days ago that I've signed up to. I kept seeing loads of stuff about it on twitter so I thought if give it a go www.essexbeautygroup.co.uk
It's free for 6 months so thought I'd give it a try

Last edited:
A newsletter has been burning a hole in my list of things to do for the new year, so I really need to get a wriggle on with it. I'm going to use Mailchimp, but I'm not entirely computer savvy.

With regards to staying out of trouble with my ISP and not using my normal email program, is it as simple as just downloading a different program to my laptop and use only that to send out just my newsletter?

You don't actually need to download anything. Mailchimp is an online tool- you just do everything via the website as Lynne says.

The email will appear as if it's coming from you- but its just a "mask" ontop of another mailbox.

If you're thinking about doing any email marketing my absolute biggest tip (and this is ignoring issues of design or copy etc.) is spend some time developing your email list first.

An email marketing campaign is only as good as the list it's being sent to. It's simply a numbers game- the more you send (to up-to-date emails) the better your success will be.

Spend time "harvesting" emails (via your site, consultation forms, Facebook- we even put a piggybank on our reception desk with a pad and pen for people to pop their address in) before even contemplating sending anything.

Once you've done that, the software can be tricky to someone who's not used that type of WYSIWYG editor before (it's basically an HTML editor)- but if you don't want to pay someone to do it (and a good designer will be able to design a mail that you just replicate over and over and allow you to change the text- no need to charge every month once a template is in place) then the trick is to keep it simple at first and let your copy/text do the talking. As you get more confident with the system you can introduce more bells and whistles.

However, to re-iterate and to be blunt, it's a waste of time and money with a small, out-of-date crappy email list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Carl, I only have email addresses from my record cards at the moment but will put something on my Facebook page asking about inclusion to the mailing list. I'll also put something on my website. I still havn't got to grips yet as have been quite ill these lasts few days and need to have a completely normal head on to make a good impression.

Can you think of any other ways to gather emails? I take it it's not possible to include my 'Likers' automatically?

Can you think of any other ways to gather emails? I take it it's not possible to include my 'Likers' automatically?

Actually, you'd possibly be ok with that. You're allowed, legally, to an extent to add anyone who has had an interaction with your company.

It'd probably be a "soft opt-in".

A 'soft opt-in' it applies if the following conditions are met;

•where you've obtained a person's details in the course of a sale or negotiations for a sale of a product or service;

•where the messages are only marketing similar products or services; and

•where the person is given a simple opportunity to refuse marketing when their details are collected, and if they don't opt out at this point, are given a simple way to do so in future messages.

But- get into the habit of just asking on every interaction with a client, or potential client! Ask your Facebook likers, your website visitors, ask your clients face-to-face, ask on consultation cards, ask your Twitter followers, use traditional marketing methods like sending a leaflet with an offer if they sign up for your email newsletters etc etc.

You don't need any fancy database either. You can upload an excel spreadsheet of email addresses to Mail Chimp.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. :biggrin:

loving this page .
I'm going to send letters out to schools & nursery offering a gift voucher for any raffles and if they have any fayres coming up to add me to there list as i do kids mini manicures,tattoos, pocket money gifts.
Can anyone help me with the wording as i'm not sure what to write thanks

loving this page .
I'm going to send letters out to schools & nursery offering a gift voucher for any raffles and if they have any fayres coming up to add me to there list as i do kids mini manicures,tattoos, pocket money gifts.
Can anyone help me with the wording as i'm not sure what to write thanks

If you look on the first page Lynne has wrote what she said as she has done the same. She has worded it brilliantly.

I supply a lot of salons with nail files, lip balms, pens and many other promotional products. Reciently started supplying fridge magnets and they seem to be going down really well. All items are personalised normally with buisness name and a contact number.

I would be happy to help supply anyone here with promotional gifts if you need more info just send me a message.

The BOP

I supply a lot of salons with nail files, lip balms, pens and many other promotional products. Reciently started supplying fridge magnets and they seem to be going down really well. All items are personalised normally with buisness name and a contact number.

I would be happy to help supply anyone here with promotional gifts if you need more info just send me a message.

The BOP

Could you send me some info please?

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

The BOP

Same also 😊
Could you pm me with some more info pls? X

The BOP

The same as well if you would be good enough to send us any details we would be interested !
Email [email protected]
Many thanks

Latest posts

Back