My daughter (age 12) has just had a fish pedicure, so angry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my question would be; who was the adult in charge of the 12 year old and how did she get to the salon? Oh, I guess that's two questions...

I would have been fuming too!! There should be some sort of law in place that prohibits salons from performing certain services without parental consent below a certain age!
As a mother, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND where you're coming from.
I would have been irate myself and stormed down there and placed a formal complaint and filed with authorities.

just the thought of those fish nibbling on someone's infected feet, verruca etc etc, and then nibbling on mine, is enough to make me NOT want one of those! :)

Ditto!
THAT'S why they're being banned in more and more places.

THINK about it..
The fish can't swim in chlorinated water full of disinfectant. They'd die.
Sooooooo what then?
It's water CHOCK-FULL of germs and nasties of all sorts.

It's already in the news hot pedi-spas are regularly found to be found filthy and the cause of many problems when not cleaned properly.
How filthy is that fish tank?
It's a health risk.
Not hard to figure out.

There's nothing wrong with a 12yr old going to the mall on her own.
There are a great many things that 12yr old's do without their parents.
HOWEVER it doesn't mean that businesses may retail adult services/products to them without any conscience.
Hey, why don't we just let them into the sex shops and the bars then too, if businesses can't be held accountable?

It's not as if we can bubble-wrap our kids. The COMMUNITY has to step up too and do their part.

I would have been fuming too!! There should be some sort of law in place that prohibits salons from performing certain services without parental consent below a certain age!
As a mother, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND where you're coming from.
I would have been irate myself and stormed down there and placed a formal complaint and filed with authorities.

Ditto!
THAT'S why they're being banned in more and more places.

THINK about it..
The fish can't swim in chlorinated water full of disinfectant. They'd die.
Sooooooo what then?
It's water CHOCK-FULL of germs and nasties of all sorts.

It's already in the news hot pedi-spas are regularly found to be found filthy and the cause of many problems when not cleaned properly.
How filthy is that fish tank?
It's a health risk.
Not hard to figure out.

There's nothing wrong with a 12yr old going to the mall on her own.
There are a great many things that 12yr old's do without their parents.
HOWEVER it doesn't mean that businesses may retail adult services/products to them without any conscience.
Hey, why don't we just let them into the sex shops and the bars then too, if businesses can't be held accountable?

It's not as if we can bubble-wrap our kids. The COMMUNITY has to step up too and do their part.

Agree 100% with everything you just said! Bet they dont do any kind of consultation either, even a verbal one!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Swimming pools are chlorinated, therefore, much more sanitary than stagnant water with fish swimming around. Otherwise, they would probably be illegal! Haha. Fish are nasty creatures, imo. Slimey and they poop in the water. :)

I don't know if I'd be angry about it. I would probably scold my child about the dangers of sticking her feet into something so nasty! No, she wouldn't be in trouble or get grounded or anything, but definitely let her know how gross that is! But, you certainly have a right to be angry if you feel like you need to. It's your child. And no one has a right to tell you not to be angry. That would make me more angry than what my child has done. Haha. :)

Last edited:
I don't think there is an age limit on this treatment. So there's nothing to be angry about.

Sorry Redchick I just can't agree with this.

I am not sure what services you offer as nothing listed against profile but can I ask you, would you do any sort of treatment on a bunch of 12 year old who came in to see you without an adult?

Last edited:
after what i saw last week at a beauty night with a fish pedi i wouldn't be very happy either! Absolutely disgusting!

I wouldn't be happy with my twelve year old being given a treatment without my consent. Its clearly a money thing and i do thinks the 'salon' is quite shameful.

Don't blame you for feeling quite cross on both counts hun. X x x

sorry I'm not from there what is a fish pedi?

my son did something similar and he was 6 at the time. if I'm thinking of the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my question would be; who was the adult in charge of the 12 year old and how did she get to the salon? Oh, I guess that's two questions...

thank you for your concern :hug: but my daughter is almost 13, she has her mobile phone with her at all times and checks in regularly, she only ever goes with a group of friends and the 'salon' in question in our small town center (understatement of the yr, lol) about 15 mins walk from our home

we live in a small market town in rural essex where the local headline news is that a teddy bear has been found and is available for collection from the newspaper headquarters (true!) so i guess i cant blame the girls for wanting to try something 'new' .. nothing much happens round these parts lol and im guessing once the novelty has died down they'll be looking for other premises, they cant be local .. its hardly the busiests of towns midweek, lol

so whilst i probably wouldnt be happy for her to travel by bus by herself to our closest 'mall' in cambridge im happy in the knowledge that she's perfectly safe at the local town center .. well that is appart from being vulnerable to fish spa owners with no morals out to make a few quid ;)

i have since found out there was no consultation (well what did i expect) and the kids feet were not even checked :0 so trip 'into town' with another unhappy mum on monday is on the cards!

i just wonder where else they're bending the rules and cutting corners

thanks everyone for your feedback, id like to point out im not a 'precious' mum .. i know its not the end of the world my daughter had a fish spa, and yes im thankful she doesnt drink or take drugs etc .. and all those similar comments - im just angry that she was given a treatment which i didnt agree to, knowing for a fact made their insurance (if they had any!) invalid the moment the put her feet in the tank.
what sort of parent would i be if i wasnt just slightly p**'d off that my daughter has now been put at risk of some nasty foot infection just so that someone could make a few quid!!!

Last edited:
Blush09 needs to be cut a bit of slack here... I am totally with you Blush09 - parental consent should be acquired for ANY treatment regardless what it is.

Your concerns are 100% valid and I too would be annoyed my daughter had managed to get any treatment from any salon without consent.

Here on Salongeek we are always talking about standards and quality, insurance etc 'doing things right'... this example highlights where it is most certainly not right.

You should not have to justify yourself hon either :hug: bless..

If your daughter has a phone and checks in with you regularly she really should have called to ask you first if it was ok.

That does not however excuse the fish salon if they are required by their insurers to have parental consent.

Jacqui xx

Yes, her daughter should have.

HOWEVER... as we all know and know very well.. in many cases children don't/won't/forget to ask for permission. That is what CHILDREN are like.
I doubt that there exists a perfect child that will ask for permission every time.

That is where it becomes the community's/entrepeneur's responsibility to act appropriately and deny the service and/or intervene where necessary when a child is making a poor choice.

v hunter

That is where it becomes the community's/entrepeneur's responsibility to act appropriately and deny the service and/or intervene where necessary when a child is making a poor choice.[/QUOTE]

lol .. was just going to post the exact same thing .. i take it you have a daughter of a similar age ;)
yes you're right, she should have phoned .. she didnt and thats been delt with. but she's ultimately not the one in the wrong, the salon owner is .. my daughters friend said they felt pressurised to have the fish spa, a therapist basically brought them in off the street, said 'how cool will it be when you tell your friends at school you had a fish spa' she also told them to tell all their friends about it. yes they could have said no, and im sure there was an element of curiosity and yes i guess they wanted to be seen to be cool, but this woman was no better than a cold calling sales rep in my opinion.. just after one thing, the sale .. regardless of the outcome
i have just come in from a princess party, one of the consent forms stated no glitter tattoos in the comments box, had i not taken the trouble to ask if the girls had any allergies etc i could potentionally have caused a nasty reaction by unknowingly applying a tattoo. its my responsibility to find out from the parents if their children are suitable for the treatments i plan to offer, i wrongly took it for granted other beauty professional would show the same courtesy

Last edited:
No argument with anyone just stating the case for both views.

jacquelianna - i know, sorry wasnt aimed at you :hug:
i just didnt think my parenting skills would be called into question when i posted about the lack of morals of a local fish spa, lol
no offence has taken btw from anyone, you are all entitled to your opinion thats why i love this site so much, but then im entitled to deffend my concerns about irrisponsible salon and decisions about my daughters upbrining
have just been told to 'get a life' .. tempted to name and shame, but hey ho karma always comes good in the end.
im guessing the poster runs a fish spa ;)

Last edited:
Blush, I would not question your parenting skills! My observation re your daughter calling you centred around the phone and the constant contact. And who knows why she didn't call you and it doesn't actually matter anyway.

Because as I said if the fish people's insurance asked for parental consent then they have no business doing the treatment on a 12 year old.

Fish spas make me feel sick.

:hug: for you.

Jacqui xx

sorry, i dont think im not putting myself across well jacquelenna lol .. wasnt implying YOU were questioning my parenting skills, lol just commenting in general as a poster appeared concerned that i had let my 12 yr old daughter out by herself
i appreciate your comments though .. all of you :hug:

sorry, i dont think im not putting myself across well jacquelenna lol .. wasnt implying YOU were questioning my parenting skills, lol just commenting in general as a poster appeared concerned that i had let my 12 yr old daughter out by herself
i appreciate your comments though .. all of you :hug:

darling girl, you don't have to explain yourself ... big hugs and a kiss x

ya know at 12 these days if the most i had to worry bout her doing was having a fish pedicure id consider myself lucky and proud that id brought her up so good that's all i was having to deal with xxx

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Totally agree couldn't of said it better myself! X

Totally agree couldn't of said it better myself! X

I think most of us see there are two different issues on this one, it's not the fact the girl did it it without asking Mum, it is the fact she was allowed to have it done by the salon without parental consent at 12 years old not that her mum didn't give her the permission.

I agree 100% with Blush09 being p8ssed off.

with regards to fish pedicures in general i really think you would have to have kept fish in order to appreciate just how unhygienic this could be

Latest posts

Back