My dog has been rushed to the vet with twisted gut!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsia

Reaction score
Oh, I am sooo upset..

Picked up my 3 dogs from the kennels today, (after coming back from a week in Lanzarote) at 11am, before she fed them all and charged me another day.
They seemed fine..
Took them home, took them for a walk about 12noon..
Then about half 1 noticed my eldest, Levi, (9 years) was not herself.
Listless, restless, wreching but nothing comes up.. stomach as hard as a basketball..
watched her slowly deteriorate :cry:

Anyway, rang the vets, and took her down straight away.
That was at 6pm. by 7 they had xrayed her and confirmed a condition called Twisted Gut.
she has a LOAD of food, water and gas stuck ..the vet said, that she had to flush out. :eek:
I hadnt even seen her eat anything yet!

Operated immediately and stitched the stomach back in place.. but still isnt out of the woods yet.. they wanna keep herin til at least sunday!
I am so upset and worried:cry:
icon_cry.gif
:cry:
Done some research and its quite fatal.. but the thing is.. we are in between insurers! Was on my to do list when we came back from hols (which was this morning) because they are covered insurance wise in the kennels anyway!

But the cost is not the issue... my poor doggy.

Oh what a worry.. I wont be able to sleep.:cry: and shes in there all on her own.
Such a painful thing apparently and it only affects larger/deep chested breeds.
Levi is a boxer.

Has anyone had experience with this condition in their dogs?
I had never heard of it.. only something similar in horses.

Oh poor you Tsia.

I have had to happen to an old dog of mine - I have my fingers crossed for you.

Let me know if you want to know the finer details.

Fingers crossed for you hun.

Tsia, hun I feel for you so much, your doggie is the main thing, I am a qualified Veterinary nurse, havn't worked for a vet since the kids, I have seen this before, what is the vet telling you, please don't despair this can be fixed, and please remember animals recover far more quickly than humans:hug:

Tsia, hun I feel for you so much, your doggie is the main thing, I am a qualified Veterinary nurse, havn't worked for a vet since the kids, I have seen this before, what is the vet telling you, please don't despair this can be fixed, and please remember animals recover far more quickly than humans

Oh well thats a relief to hear. Cant help it though.. I am besides myself with worry. Keep thinking its my fault cos we went out for a run! I missed them so much all week and didnt think it would harm.. I always walk them anyway.. but she must have got access to the food. or she ate before I got them? I dont know..
I just keep thinking its my fault. :cry:

All sorts of things like take away the food, dont take them out after eating.. all running through my mind.
Just out of curiosity fifitrix, how much is an op like this to cost roughly? I do appreciate all vets are different etc..They havent said yet.. and I will have to transfer some savings.:eek:

Hunni, for a start stop blaming yourself, ok? Did you notice if she ate anything on the walk? Apart from that this is the question, what were you feeding her before you went on your hols? and what were the kennels giving her? Also I have not worked in the veterinary firld for a long time so I would be guessing as to what you be charged. Hunni I have 2 dogs and I know we pay out on vet fees each year it's like bupa for dogs! Please believe that your doggie is in the best place, constant care hun:hug:

Tsia, In my time in the vets, we had doggies that had swallowed horrendous stuff and dogs with huge tumours that we removed, and they pulled through, I am NOT giving you false hope hun, but what always amazed me was how they coped:hug:

Hunni, for a start stop blaming yourself, ok? Did you notice if she ate anything on the walk? Apart from that this is the question, what were you feeding her before you went on your hols? and what were the kennels giving her? Also I have not worked in the veterinary firld for a long time so I would be guessing as to what you be charged. Hunni I have 2 dogs and I know we pay out on vet fees each year it's like bupa for dogs! Please believe that your doggie is in the best place, constant care hun:hug:
No she didnt eat anything. they eat complete dry food by Wagg and the kennels always gives similar. They have been fine in there before.. been using them a year since I moved to lincs.
As for the cost.. well I suppose it will be what it is. But my dad said tell the kennels and ask them if they ate anything.. they could be liable to go through their insurers.
I dont know.. I have had dogs all my life.. all the family has, and no-one has experienced it (thankgod)
Just my Luck. Thing is.. I am just grateful it happened today and not the same time yesterday otherwise she would have died in that kennel!
It doesnt bear thinking about.:eek:
icon_cry.gif

Tsia,

A :hug: for you and a huge :hug: for levi. I'm sure he will be fine.

Hi hun, I am so sorry you came back to all this. I hope Levi is ok.

When I had Axl, when he was a pup the vet told me that large dogs like ours shouldn't exercise an hour before or after food as this can cause a twisted gut. Try telling this to a playful boxer:rolleyes:.

If you want to chat you know where I am. Sending lots of hugs to you and your doggie. I am sure he will be fine hunny.
:hug::hug:

No she didnt eat anything. they eat complete dry food by Wagg and the kennels always gives similar. They have been fine in there before.. been using them a year since I moved to lincs.
As for the cost.. well I suppose it will be what it is. But my dad said tell the kennels and ask them if they ate anything.. they could be liable to go through their insurers.
I dont know.. I have had dogs all my life.. all the family has, and no-one has experienced it (thankgod)
Just my Luck. Thing is.. I am just grateful it happened today and not the same time yesterday otherwise she would have died in that kennel!
It doesnt bear thinking about.:eek:
icon_cry.gif

Hunni, if I were you I'd agree with your dad and ask them the kennels if a. your dog ate anything different when she was there
b. was she enthusiastic on going for a walk?
c. did they make her exercise when she didn't want to?

Of course they may deny any of the above, but as soon as you mention the situation they should realise that it will lie with them, a twisted stomach does NOT come on in an hour, or the symptoms can but the cause is not. Your doggie was in their care hunnie ask :cry:

It sounds like gastric torsion. This is usually caused by letting the dog have a good hard run shortly after eating. I have always had dogs and I NEVER let them run/play hard right after eating. Do a search on gastric torsion and you will learn more. I'm glad that you picked up on this right away and that he has been seen by a vet. It perhaps could also have been a case of a blockage. I'm thinking about you and your pup. :hug:

Hunni, if I were you I'd agree with your dad and ask them the kennels if a. your dog ate anything different when she was there
b. was she enthusiastic on going for a walk?
c. did they make her exercise when she didn't want to?

Of course they may deny any of the above, but as soon as you mention the situation they should realise that it will lie with them, a twisted stomach does NOT come on in an hour, or the symptoms can but the cause is not. Your doggie was in their care hunnie ask :cry:

No, I was told by a VET that with deep chested dogs they should not exercise for an hour either side of eating as this can cause a twisted stomach.

With all due respect Tsia said she picked them up from the kennels before her doggies had been fed

It sounds like gastric torsion. This is usually caused by letting the dog have a good hard run shortly after eating. I have always had dogs and I NEVER let them run/play hard right after eating. Do a search on gastric torsion and you will learn more. I'm glad that you picked up on this right away and that he has been seen by a vet. It perhaps could also have been a case of a blockage. I'm thinking about you and your pup. :hug:

Yes this is what I am on about. You have explained so much better than me Jogels.

LOL.. now now girlies.. I appreciate everyones opinions and experiences/thoughts on this condition.. please dont fall out.

I am unsure untill I call the kennels tomorrow if she ate. Chances are she didnt if I picked her up before 11 but maybe she ate something at home without me noticing? (the dry food is always accessable but they just graze.. they are not greedy) But I always know when one is eating cos theres slobber! :eek:

Well there is not much I can do now I suppose,, just wait.. AND PRAY.:rolleyes:
Thanks for all the replies and supportive thoughts sent so far. xxxxxxxx

You know what perhaps I should just stop at this moment, I am PROUD that I am veterinary nurse and also I will tell you the reason that I stopped being so.. having children meant that I could not be phoned in the middle of the night to go lambing etc. I just hope that Levi is ok and can't hope for anything more x

No but are you tained in veterinary science?

No but my dog has just died after being ill for a very long time from birth and I have spent a lot of time at the vets. Anyway if you want to carry this on PM me because right now I am looking out for my good friend Tsia and she doesn't need this pettiness.

I am going to defend myself here, I have pm'd pickle and had A response but my main concern is LEVI hope all goes well hun x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back