My dog has been rushed to the vet with twisted gut!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope levi is going to be ok, Tsia. is it 3 boxers you have? we have always had boxers, just had another, he is called Harvey, and hes 17 weeks old. i love this breed of dog, love their temperment and loualty. i have herd of this condition, twisted gut, read about it and also one of my clients went through it with her boxer.

Bloat is a condition which results from fermenting foods releasing gas into the stomach, sometimes causing the stomach to twist. it is a serious condition, and it must be dealt with instantly by a vet as it can prove fatal. There are various theories as to the cause of bloat, but none are scientifically proven. as a preventative, it is advisable to feed 2 small meals rather than one large meal if a complete diet is used, and exercise should be restricted for a few hours after a meal. it is very common in boxers.

you acted quick enough to get Levi to the vets, im sure she'll be ok. :hug: keep us informed hun.xx

my client saw her boxer drop down in pain, within minuets, her dog had fallen to sleep but never woke up. its sad.:cry:

Hi Tsia

So sorry to hear about Levi... hope she makes a speedy and full recovery. I can totally relate to this thread but I don't want my answer in any way to worry you. This is just my experience...

There are different circumstances to what happened to my doggy... I had a cavalier king charles spaniel called Toby. Well at the age of 7 months, 2 christmases ago he somehow managed to swallow one of those tiny plastic confetti christmas trees!! :eek: He certainly knew how to keep it festive! He was having similar symptons to what your dog had - he was being sick, retching, hunched up etc... When they x-rayed him they couldn't see the tree cos it was so small and clear so had to open him up anyway thats when they noticed a spike sticking out of his intestines. He had to have a major op as the tree had perforated his intestines on its way down before getting lodged and cos he was so diddy they had problems stitching up the tiny perforations so there was a risk they wouldn't work properly, it was touch and go for 48 hours and we thought we were gonna lose him, it was the first bowel movement that meant it was a success... which fortunately it was! I didn't have pet insurance at the time and the op cost me a hefty £500+ :eek: All my pets now have pet insurance - certainly learnt from that one!!

Anyway as the story goes... 17 months on and he started with the same sickness, retching, was really uncomfortable and hunched all the time, my first thoughts were that he'd swallowed something else!... so they did x-rays and couldn't see nothing, did that bavarium (sp?) thing twice and then on the x-ray after a couple of days of keeping him in they could see a huge build up of gases inside him. Thats when they opened him up, his intestines were twisted and they had to remove a fairly large section. After a few days it seemed the op was success and he came home but it only took a couple of days and he was uncomfortable again, and his bowels weren't normal, so back in he went and this time they operated straight away... his intestines had started to basically 'stick' together as such and nothing was getting through now - I had a phone call when he was on the operating table... there was nothing they could do as he would just die anyway as his intestines just weren't going to work, so he had to be put to sleep. :cry: I just couldn't believe it, but apparently his first op with the christmas tree had contributed to all this... he had only turned 2 years old the month he died and hadn't even lived his life, bless him. It was July this year.

Hope this hasn't scared you in any way, it's just what happened to Toby and I really am thinking about you and Levi going through this :hug: :hug: :hug: xx

Oh, I am sooo upset..

Picked up my 3 dogs from the kennels today, (after coming back from a week in Lanzarote) at 11am, before she fed them all and charged me another day.
They seemed fine..
Took them home, took them for a walk about 12noon..
Then about half 1 noticed my eldest, Levi, (9 years) was not herself.
Listless, restless, wreching but nothing comes up.. stomach as hard as a basketball..
watched her slowly deteriorate :cry:

Anyway, rang the vets, and took her down straight away.
That was at 6pm. by 7 they had xrayed her and confirmed a condition called Twisted Gut.
she has a LOAD of food, water and gas stuck ..the vet said, that she had to flush out. :eek:
I hadnt even seen her eat anything yet!

Operated immediately and stitched the stomach back in place.. but still isnt out of the woods yet.. they wanna keep herin til at least sunday!
I am so upset and worried:cry:
icon_cry.gif
:cry:
Done some research and its quite fatal.. but the thing is.. we are in between insurers! Was on my to do list when we came back from hols (which was this morning) because they are covered insurance wise in the kennels anyway!

But the cost is not the issue... my poor doggy.

Oh what a worry.. I wont be able to sleep.:cry: and shes in there all on her own.
Such a painful thing apparently and it only affects larger/deep chested breeds.
Levi is a boxer.

Has anyone had experience with this condition in their dogs?
I had never heard of it.. only something similar in horses.

awww what a nasty thing to happen.
i have heard of it before. when i bought my staffy the breeder told me about this..said it was very common in staffys.

the main reason they get this is when they are given there dinner and then walked after...and allowed to run around. i dont know about boxers but i know that when a staffy is off the lead they really run nd bound around, that is why it is common in staffs.

maybe thats what happend in the kennels..???

poor doggie xxxxxxxxxx

:hug: Thankyou so much for the pressie from Bling Nails and all the ' thinking of you pm's' from others.

I feel a bit better today after phoning the vet and Levi is responding and taking a little water. But she isnt out of the woods yet apparently.

I do have some good news that should ease my worrying.. the kennels have agreed to foot the bill. However regardless whether they would or not, cost was not the issue..

Thanks again geeky mates for your support. xxxxxx:hug:

Hope he will be Ok. Its terrible when they are ill and can't tell you what is wrong. My mad boxer is 8 now and I have paid so much over the past weeks to help with his health but he is worth every penny. He has boxer heart trouble, found out in Feb this year. Two weeks ago he had a ultrasound and an ECG. I take him at the animal hospital now and they are fantastic the vets are really clever I'm sure your dog is in safe hands. Keep us updated.

:hug: Thankyou so much for the pressie from Bling Nails and all the ' thinking of you pm's' from others.

I feel a bit better today after phoning the vet and Levi is responding and taking a little water. But she isnt out of the woods yet apparently.

I do have some good news that should ease my worrying.. the kennels have agreed to foot the bill. However regardless whether they would or not, cost was not the issue..

Thanks again geeky mates for your support. xxxxxx:hug:

I'm so glad it seems to be looking like good news.

When my old dog died of this he didnt even make it through the operation to untwist his stomach so if your baby is drinking wate then he seems to be through the worst.

Will keep my finger crossed for you hun over the next few days!

My fingers are crossed for your baby, i know how upsetting it is when a pet is ill, its worse because they cant talk and tell you they feel ill, my zena had a womb infection earlier this year and had to have emergency surgery, i think the vet was more worried about me than the dog cos i was so upset and making a show of myself blubbering all over her, it cost me almost £1000 so its good that the kennels are footing the bill, i hope your baby is safe and well and home with you real soon :hug:

Well just had a call from the vets.. she taken about a tablespoon of food which is a good sign that shes hungry and they just want to wait till they see it come out 'at the other end' to know things are passing through the stitched stomach as normal.
If it does she may be able to come home this evening. Fingers crossed.
Good job Ali isnt working tomrrow unlike me.. he can monitor her first day back home. I unfortunately cant get out of it! but am off Wednesday so thats another day she'll be watched. :confused:

Well just had a call from the vets.. she taken about a tablespoon of food which is a good sign that shes hungry and they just want to wait till they see it come out 'at the other end' to know things are passing through the stitched stomach as normal.
If it does she may be able to come home this evening. Fingers crossed.
Good job Ali isnt working tomrrow unlike me.. he can monitor her first day back home. I unfortunately cant get out of it! but am off Wednesday so thats another day she'll be watched. :confused:

Thats great news, if she is eating thats a good sign. Hope you get her back tonight.
:hug:
xx

Well just got her back..Levi is on antibiotics for infection and shes had 2 pain killer jabs that should last til tuesday. I have to feed her little and often for the next few days.. 5 times a day the vet said.. on this tinned chicken and rice soft diet stuff.
got her home and shes plodding along not walking properly, almost limped in the door.Couldnt carry her shes too big!
She wimpered when she saw us at the vets.. hopefully out of joy that she missed us and was going home and not because she was in pain.

So now she is lay in the corner of the lounge on a make shift bed near the heater away from the other 2 so they dont knock her wound.. heres a couple of pics. So glad that shes finally home and on the road to recovery. :green:

A happy outcome from a condition that takes so many victims of the K9 world.

Attachments

• Levi recovering1a.JPG
    Levi recovering1a.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Levi recovering1b.JPG
    Levi recovering1b.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,073
awwwwwwww bless!

Am so glad that Levi is back home with u hun and on the road to recovery, u must have been worried sick hunni

xxx

Thank the lord - I have felt so much for you and it is good to know that not all big pooches like my Bobby die from this terrible thing.

So glad to see your levi is home where he belongs, big hugs :hug: :hug: for you and levi and i wish him a speedy recovery x

awwwww bless her a big :hug: hope she recovers soon hun xxx

hi,i have a wiermaraner this twisted gut is common with the breed,the breeder and vets said no excersise 1 hour before or after food also raise food and water off the floor so the dog is not bending down to eat and drink,we have a special thing that raises our bowls,bailey is now 3 and no problems so far, but i know a few that have had twisted gut not nice.hope your dog s ok x

hi,i have a wiermaraner this twisted gut is common with the breed,the breeder and vets said no excersise 1 hour before or after food also raise food and water off the floor so the dog is not bending down to eat and drink,we have a special thing that raises our bowls,bailey is now 3 and no problems so far, but i know a few that have had twisted gut not nice.hope your dog s ok x

My paddy (old english sheepdog) now drinks and eats out of raised bowls due to what happen to his older brother bobby with a twisted stomach!

So glad to hear that Levi is OK. Hope everything continues to improve.

So glad that Levi is getting better xx

Well just got her back..Levi is on antibiotics for infection and shes had 2 pain killer jabs that should last til tuesday. I have to feed her little and often for the next few days.. 5 times a day the vet said.. on this tinned chicken and rice soft diet stuff.
got her home and shes plodding along not walking properly, almost limped in the door.Couldnt carry her shes too big!
She wimpered when she saw us at the vets.. hopefully out of joy that she missed us and was going home and not because she was in pain.

So now she is lay in the corner of the lounge on a make shift bed near the heater away from the other 2 so they dont knock her wound.. heres a couple of pics. So glad that shes finally home and on the road to recovery. :green:

A happy outcome from a condition that takes so many victims of the K9 world.

Aw look at her poor ickle thing. She must be so pleased to be back with her parents though. Give her cuddles fom me and Lyla.
:hug::hug:

Ooooo, Tsia I'm just reading this today...so glad everything seems to have worked out for your pretty girl! Lots of hugs for you and her, I would be beside myself if anything happened to my baby boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back