Nail Bar in Tesco's?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO!!! I like Tesco!!
At the end of the day it is competition and, like it or not, it is going to happen.
Asda...Walmart..don't we love everything American in this country?
Small businesses may well be under threat but the business is only as good as the people who work there.

Go into Selfridges Oxford Street and have your eyelashes tinted or eyebrows shaped. You'll be sitting in the middle of the store with hundreds of people walking around you............no sreen, nothing.

I'm sure their nails will be fab.

It works here in Spain... our local Carrefour (hyper/supermarket) is within a 'centro comercial', which is basically a small shopping centre with the supermarket contained within it... there are clothes shops, shoe shops, jewellers, hairdressers etc... within the hairdressers they do nails, manicure and pedicure (no enhancements as of yet), it seems to work and doesn't keep the local salons from being in business.

The only ones who should be feeling threatened by Tesco's offering this service are those who know they're not up to scratch, sorry but that's what it boils down to IMO.

The only ones who should be feeling threatened by Tesco's offering this service are those who know they're not up to scratch, sorry but that's what it boils down to IMO.

I disagree with this! For example, smaller businesses in and around the area where the new Tescos is planned, cannot possibly compete against such a powerful supermarket chain.

Across the UK, we have heard of small businesses been run out of town because they come up against giants like Tesco. This is a fact!

I disagree with this! For example, smaller businesses in and around the area where the new Tescos is planned, cannot possibly compete against such a powerful supermarket chain.

Across the UK, we have heard of small businesses been run out of town because they come up against giants like Tesco. This is a fact!

I do understand, as I said it's going on here too, but it's kind of off topic, what I mean is, it's not exactly nail bars and nail technicians going out of business because of giants like Tesco's.

In an area I know quite well, a few months ago a new Asda came to town. No one wanted it...so they didn't go there and they kept shopping at their local shops. Asda now is currently looking to sell its site and will probably shut down. The only local business that suffered were the ones that panicked and cut quality to cut prices.

Now this was a small town, in a fairly remote part of the country.....what they did was pretty much community spirit (Unfortunately something I really think is lacking in a huge amount of this country). Yes the big supermarkets put a lot of small businesses 'out of business' but only if peope actually shop there.

IMO the key to survival is differentiation...make people want to come to you. Yep, there will always be some people who want to go to Asda or Tesco or wherever (I occasionally use Sainsbury for loo rolls...but you know what, I buy my meat from a butcher and my veg from a farmer....and my wine from a bottle shop!), so let them, and focus on the ones that come to you, and making them want to come back...after all, our best business is return clients is it not?

well i don't feel threatened at all...never did when new nail places popped up in my village either...why should i...there is enough for everyone and if your good and still around in a years time then i might raise an eyebrow !!!

my sarcasm came purely cos i think its funny....same as i would think it was funny if i could get my hair done at B&Q...:lol:...

well i don't feel threatened at all...never did when new nail places popped up in my village either...why should i...there is enough for everyone and if your good and still around in a years time then i might raise an eyebrow !!!

my sarcasm came purely cos i think its funny....same as i would think it was funny if i could get my hair done at B&Q...:lol:...

Well I don't feel threatened either,the same as Gordon Ramsey doesn't feel threatened by McDonald's nor Charles Worthington, he doesn't feel threatend by Supercuts.There will be takers for the Tesco Nail Bar I am sure, does it worry me nope. I provide a different kind of service,just the same as a top restaurant V's a Burger Bar kind of thing.
Some will love being able to have their nails done whilst out shopping and some will stay loving having their nails in a dedicated salon.It's their choice and to be honest, I am sole trader, sole working Technician, so how many clients would I actually loose out on? I can't possibly be the only kiddy on the block.I rather keep my eyes on my ball and make sure that my clients stay my clients.
Now if I where to worry about every Nail Bar opening around me and spending time watching them, how could I dedicate all my time and effort to those on my doorstep?
I put my effort in keeping my clients happy and satisfied, as long as I do that they wont go anywhere else. Would I voice my concern to my clients, nope, or else may think, hey if she is worried they must be something to this, a reason or else she would not even be bothered.
On the flip side,think of it as free promotion for our profession, Nails are a must, Nail Care is important, so hey its like a free advertisement. Like I always say, nobody feels hungry till they see a McDonald's lol, but how many then go on to have a nice meal somewhere else?
So guys keep on doing what you are doing, make it special, make it unique and make it a service to remember for all the right reasons and we will all be able to work and co-exist nicely along side each other.

Just my thoughts xxx

I wouldn't want to have my nails done in the middle of a food store, but there are plenty who probably would, and I may have used them ten years ago when my children were small and I had no time to myself.:lol:

Imo, competition is good...it keeps you on your toes.

If it was a Geek that had the business know how to have approached Tesco and were opening up a nail bar, you'd all be cheering. Who knows !!! It may even be our fellow Geeks working there.

Seeing this from a customer point of view and not a nail technician.
tesco, asda, etc the ones with hairdressers and a nail bar. mum of young kids hubby comes home you nip out to do your shopping, have your hair cut and get your nails done.......before i became a nail technician and if there was a nail bar in tesco's (not in the food isles.......photo shops or pharmacy's are usually in small units at the side) then i would probably have been a customer of theirs, it seems this is a good thing for a certain percentage of the population, everything under one roof, convenience etc.
competition is good, its healthy, it keeps us on our toes if our clients love what they do they wont go else where, and if they dont like what we do...they will, whether its tesco's or nails r us.
Its good that the beauty industry is becoming more accessible to others, others who wouldnt necessarily have taken an interest.....

I wouldnt feel threatened by Tesco doing this at all. The type of clients that I aim my business at wouldnt be happy in having their nails done in front of the fruit and veg at Tescos anyhow!

I did pop into the Tesco's near me today and although they dont have a nail bar I saw a member of staff with a beauty unform on and a badge saying beauty advisor! May go in plain clothes one day to pick their brains and see what they have to say.

Like you Angie, I don't feel threatened at all.

What I don't understand, is why some peeps think that just because you don't favour the idea, does it have to mean one feels threatened?

Tesco Supermarket nails is just something I haven't visualized in my head yet. It may be a fab idea. It may just take off and as I said before, all fair and good to them!

I'm just afraid of Tescos full stop.:)

Latest posts

Back