Nasty client threatening me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kelly, I know most replies on this thread have advised against refunding her, myself included. Taking everything into account i think you need to do what feels right for you. It's fine for us to say not to refund but at the end of the day we aren't the ones going through it, you are. Do whats right for you and what's going to make you feel settled.

If you're determined to stand your ground I personally would say to her the next time she contacts you, is to make any further correspondance through your solicitor.

Today she called me on a mobile number which i answered as i didnt know who it was..... she said "hello its your best friend janet" so i just hung up as i didnt want to get into a conversation with her. I then text the number saying just so you know i have been in contact with the police and reported you for both harassment and slander so please stop contacting me. I have had no reply to this. Thank god. Ive saved all her messages. I just dont know what to do. Part of me thinks god just give the woman her £40 and tell her to bog off. But the other part of me thinks no way on this earth is she getting a penny off me. I just dont want to get in any trouble. xxx

Have you actually reported this to the police? With the amount of phone calls you have recieved, i would, it will help in the long run if things do turn court way, all the police will do is say moniter it but it will be in their records then and a judge should see it as "ok this was harrasement enough for it to be reported"

xxx

She's threatening to take me to a small claims court and says shes going to go round all the shops in town and show them her nails and make sure i never get work again in this town.

She's bluffing.
In order for her to lodge a claim she must be able to defend it.
That she intends to defame you would injure that claim.

However, I do think Mrs O is right.
What you give out you get back.
And on reading your initial post, I feel this is what has happened.
With this, I feel a refund is in order.
You've got to pick your battles that are worth fighting. Putting up with all this bad will and stress over a set of nails? I wouldn't.

To provide a refund does not automatically mean you acknowledge that you are at fault in any way - this is a common fallacy. A refund can mean many things, one of them being that you both acknowledge that the business between you two has not worked. By all means get her to sign a refund form. Salons do this for the very same indemnity reasons.

Last edited:
This is all very well and good if your client complies with your request. But what if they don't? Because of the few that do really kick up a stink, not a lot will do this. Aside from this, there are other issues to consider, such as literacy. For example, a lot of my clients are illiterate - some through lack of education, others due to language difficulties so a problem, should it arise, must be dealt with then and there. I also find that when a client is forced to put her complaint in writing that this tends to fuel the fire. We cannot afford to place such expectations on our clients if we want to continue to run a good business.

Good business means communicating with your clients, even when things get a little heated or have the potential to get messy. Just because a client gets angry doesn't mean you automatically hand her over to your insurer. A lot can be done with a few simple non-verbal communication techniques to throw water on a fiery situation.

One must look beyond the "I will not give a refund under any circumstances.." mantra. This is essentially saying that you are always right and the customer will always be wrong. Aside from the legal perspective which assigns you certain responsibilities that you must abide by when a complaint is placed, the basic tenet of good customer service means that you must emotionally detach from the situation, look at the client's point of view and judge the circumstances accordingly.

Personally, I would never allow my client automatic access to my insurer over something like this. And I would never allow a complaint to get to that stage unless I exhausted every avenue. This is part of my responsibility as a service provider.

Good customer service is not how we react to a complaint but how we respond to it. Good communication, not avoidance, is key here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back