Need help choosing card machine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a card machine for my salon (long overdue) and really need some help with choosing the correct reasonably priced one that won't burn a huge hole in my pocket. Iygwim .
I have been doing some research these past few weeks and have had a couple of reps call in. I've never had a card machine before so I'm new to it all.
I have a rep calling in tomorrow from a company called Transax merchant services.
The fees are this
No contract
£16.80 monthly for machine
20p debit card transactions
Credit card 1.6%
Annual security £30.00
Single billing
No minimum monthly fee
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Is it reasonable? Is there any other companies cheaper? I don't really want to be tied into a contract if possible.
Thanks in advance :)
I've read a good few threads on here regarding card machines and I'm still none the wiser.

I've not heard of this one.. Everyone will recommend the system they use, for me that's sumup. Free app, free card reader, no monthly fees or contract, excellent customer service and I only pay 1.95% on transactions whether it's credit or debit cards. Very very pleased with their service and my clients love it

Not companies I have heard of. Used to be with Elevon but now with CardSave. Cheaper and better.

Similar fees to above but we have different list of requirements but we pay 20p per transaction and our monthly rental includes 350 free debit transactions a month.

You can haggle with them and they are very good with the merchant services provided by Streamline.

Google is your best friend to find out what a company is like however over the years I refuse any advertising/service by phone and/or reps. If you need self employed reps to go sell your services then the business must not be able to sell itself.

I have just changed to a company called first data after being shafted by barclaycard. They seem very good!

I am too with first data never had any problems and fees reasonable

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else? :)

I'm with transax and they recently matched the card save prices I was given by a rep and back dated them for me
They are now what u quoted
Which I think it much the same elsewhere x

I've not heard of this one.. Everyone will recommend the system they use, for me that's sumup. Free app, free card reader, no monthly fees or contract, excellent customer service and I only pay 1.95% on transactions whether it's credit or debit cards. Very very pleased with their service and my clients love it

I considered this but I'm salon based not mobile and was worried clients might think it strange to put their details into my phone or I pad??
Where do u stand with the security policies and compliance that need doing annually?? Do u still have to do it??

I have not been made aware by sumup that I have to do anything. They are compliant with the security standards and I have to follow their terms and conditions for example to not save anyone's data etc.

Personally if I had my own salon I would probably get a proper chip and pin machine as I wouldn't want to be using my mobile, but it's perfect for me and my clients at the moment :)

Hi I use Transax in my Salon and have done for last 12 months . Find them great and customer service dept good help . Money is put in bank account very quickly . No complaints from me .

Check out world pay zinc, no monthly fees, 2.75% charge on all transactions and handset is £49.99 one off payment, if I recommend you you can get it for £29.99. You won't get charged for not taking money so you can leave it for a few months and you can travel around with it (take it to clients houses etc...) it pairs up with iPad, iPhone and android, you can email/text receipts or buy a pdq printer. Check it out and private message me your email address and name if you want me to recommend you xxx

Must say I am very disappointed in CCS - Card Compliance Service
I have rung and spoke to both Matt's, over 2 weeks ago now & given them my email address & salon address - still waiting for information to come thru :mad:

I am now looking at other card companies - shame as they were highly recommended on this website

I'm with HandePay and have been for a very long time.

I have slight reservations with the gadgets that you pay a 2.75 percentage with. This would make my monthly fees astronomical.

I pay a monthly rate of £17.99 incl VAT then 20p per debit card and a small percentage on credit cards. Sum up and some of the others may work for some, but based on my average monthly transactions, my monthly bills would increase by about £40, so just be aware that they can really add up.

Vicki x

Must say I am very disappointed in CCS - Card Compliance Service
I have rung and spoke to both Matt's, over 2 weeks ago now & given them my email address & salon address - still waiting for information to come thru :mad:

I am now looking at other card companies - shame as they were highly recommended on this website

I will speak to them about this tomorrow. It's not an acceptable level of customer service.

I'm with streamline through my Natwest bank. I pay £21 per month rental then I think approx 3% on transactions.

I know there a free apps out there but when dealing with people's cards and money I wanted a professional machine and company.

A representative from
Streamline came out and set all the admin stuff up for me. 3 days later I had the machine. The customer service was brilliant , phone calls to make sure all was ok and when I had a problem I phoned up and got straight through and they sorted it over the phone as the terminal is linked to their computers.

If it breaks they will replace the next day, in my opinion for £21 a month it's well worth it to have that security and I'm so glad I have the machine, it also helps to make my business look more professional .

I'm with HandePay and have been for a very long time.

I have slight reservations with the gadgets that you pay a 2.75 percentage with. This would make my monthly fees astronomical.

I pay a monthly rate of £17.99 incl VAT then 20p per debit card and a small percentage on credit cards. Sum up and some of the others may work for some, but based on my average monthly transactions, my monthly bills would increase by about £40, so just be aware that they can really add up.

Vicki x

Just looking at mine it would be quadruple using the 2.75 machines.

I'm with streamline through my Natwest bank. I pay £21 per month rental then I think approx 3% on transactions.

I know there a free apps out there but when dealing with people's cards and money I wanted a professional machine and company.

A representative from
Streamline came out and set all the admin stuff up for me. 3 days later I had the machine. The customer service was brilliant , phone calls to make sure all was ok and when I had a problem I phoned up and got straight through and they sorted it over the phone as the terminal is linked to their computers.

If it breaks they will replace the next day, in my opinion for £21 a month it's well worth it to have that security and I'm so glad I have the machine, it also helps to make my business look more professional .

I'm sure you're not paying 3% - that would close me and Banner Penguin down!!!

Agree with you about looking professional!

I was going to say! 3% is madness! I know banks take the mick. I couldn't find one who would give us a machine to start with without a £200 + setup fee.

Lol - what an I like; I think it's possibly 2.75% on credit cards other than that it's free on debit / visa etc / apart from 30p approx per transaction ( for me not the client )

Latest posts

Back