Need help with computer tablets

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

As a surprise for my mum and dads christmas present my sister and I are thinking of going halves on a tablet for them. My dad has been on about one for ages but I just don't have a clue what they are all about?! Sorry i'm not a very tech person but why does someone need a tablet if they have a laptop? is there a bonus? My parents go away a lot and as my dad said it would be easier to carry a tablet backwards and forwards instead of their old laptop which is abit beefy, which i suppose i can understand. How does internet work with tablets? at the moment when they are on holiday there is no wifi so they use a dongle, is that the same for a tablet? What brand and model would you recommend and why? we are looking to spend around £175 each so have approx £350 to send altogether.

Thank you in advance geeks!!!!

It's best if you get a tablet with 3G built in because then you won't need to use wifi, I have a samsung galaxy II, I use it for all business related purposes, watch movies on it, email, social networking it's awesome :D

It's best if you get a tablet with 3G built in because then you won't need to use wifi, I have a samsung galaxy II, I use it for all business related purposes, watch movies on it, email, social networking it's awesome :D

Thank you so much for your reply. what on earth is 3G?! lol! I always see this on phones i buy but i never know what it is :o

Thank you so much for your reply. what on earth is 3G?! lol! I always see this on phones i buy but i never know what it is :o

It's a wireless network technology for mobile network connectivity 😄

ooooo thank you! I will have a look at ones with 3G! :D

Not sure about the internet as I only use mine on wifi, think you can get contracts for them like mobiles though. I got a nexus for Christmas last year and I love it, apparently one of best tablets around and they have just brought out a new version. A lot cheaper than iPad too! Would definitely recommend them, my brother who is computer techy person has the phone version and can't speak any more highly about it.

Not sure about the internet as I only use mine on wifi, think you can get contracts for them like mobiles though. I got a nexus for Christmas last year and I love it, apparently one of best tablets around and they have just brought out a new version. A lot cheaper than iPad too! Would definitely recommend them, my brother who is computer techy person has the phone version and can't speak any more highly about it.

Thank you very much I will have a look at that one now!

If you get 3G you have to pay a monthly contract fee. Just like a mobile phone, so you can connect to the internet. Not so good to be stuck with that really. I have an iPad and my husband has an iPad mini. Our two daughters are getting a Samsung Galaxy 8" tablet each for Christmas. They all run on wifi.

Just about everywhere has free wifi nowadays. Shops, cafe's, restaurants, pubs etc. When they go on holiday is it always to the same place? It's just that a lot of hotels have free wifi too now.

A tablet is better than a laptop as its lightweight and easy to just pop into your bag. Also the speed is better in starting up. None of that churning and thinking a laptop does before you can get started.

I have a galaxy Samsung tab 2 (with icecream sandwich, wtf that is !) it was my xmas pressy last year, I don't use it outside the house very much and I'm not technical at all, but I use it for everything just about, i love it, cant put it down, infact im on it for salon geek all the time, although I have a dinosaur computer too.

I've got a tiny little 'router' that goes with my non-3g tablet so I can use it whilst out and about. It's like a dongle but just doesn't plug into the device. Mine's on contract from t-mobile/ee but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get one on payg!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you get 3G you have to pay a monthly contract fee. Just like a mobile phone, so you can connect to the internet. Not so good to be stuck with that really. I have an iPad and my husband has an iPad mini. Our two daughters are getting a Samsung Galaxy 8" tablet each for Christmas. They all run on wifi.

Just about everywhere has free wifi nowadays. Shops, cafe's, restaurants, pubs etc. When they go on holiday is it always to the same place? It's just that a lot of hotels have free wifi too now.

A tablet is better than a laptop as its lightweight and easy to just pop into your bag. Also the speed is better in starting up. None of that churning and thinking a laptop does before you can get started.

Yes always the same place for holidays, they always go to one place in Wales but no free wifi, but i have found you can get basically a pay as you go wifi box which looks pretty good?

Hmmm never really thought of the whole start up timing but now i do that actually really annoys me waiting for my laptop to turn on! Gosh there are sooo many to pick from :Scared:

Just remembered my brother telling me you can tether you mobile to your tablet so it uses the internet from mobile kind of like a modem. Think I tried it once but don't use it out side home very often.

I have an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. It's easy to put in your bag and just click onto if you want to know something quick, much easier than sitting waiting on a laptop/computer loading up. My iPad just comes with wifi but if I had thought at the time I would have got it with 3G too, you just get a sim for it like a phone and top it up so you can use the internet when not connected to wireless x x

Thank you so much everyone! My sister and I have formed a list of recommended tablets (thanks again) and are popping into pc world next week to have a play!

I got my technophobic hubby the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. He loves it. Easy to use, can remote print, take pictures, do his emails and look at the football results. Oh yes, and when he goes to work, I use it:D

Ive got the nexus 7 and love it 💝
My older daughter bought herself the kindle fire HD and while she loves it its still very limited.
Last year I bought my youngest daughter an android tablet from eBay, paid £39.00 for it and its far better than both of ours, hers is like a mini PC and has all the capabilities of whatsapp and some app games that need flash and some other bits.

On searching I found that some tablets are just basic regardless of their price/name
It all relates to where the time is displayed apparently, I'm a little bit of a geek and love finding this sort of info out.
I shall find the link later for anyone interested :)

Ive got the nexus 7 and love it 💝
My older daughter bought herself the kindle fire HD and while she loves it its still very limited.
Last year I bought my youngest daughter an android tablet from eBay, paid £39.00 for it and its far better than both of ours, hers is like a mini PC and has all the capabilities of whatsapp and some app games that need flash and some other bits.

On searching I found that some tablets are just basic regardless of their price/name
It all relates to where the time is displayed apparently, I'm a little bit of a geek and love finding this sort of info out.
I shall find the link later for anyone interested :)

I would be interested please xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm an Apple user. Can't be beaten in my opinion.

I have a galaxy Samsung tab 2 (with icecream sandwich, wtf that is !)
Lol, it's the name of the old Android Platform. There was also Jelly Bean and I think the new one is KitKat! haha.

Latest posts

Back