Negative Posts About Clients On Salon Geek

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I would be interested in your views please with regard to the title of this thread. I think what has really pushed me to post about this, is something which was mentioned in a discussion a couple of weeks ago by a beauty colleague, about publicly and negatively discussing and commenting on clients on professional forums which are open to the public. A particular thread has also spurred me on to ask this question?

Do you think it is professional or even right to post about how 'my 10 o'clock appointment never bothered to turn up' or 'cheeky mare client has asked for a refund because xxx and who the heck does she think she is?'

These forums may very well be read by the very clients being commented on and professional geeks (whatever your skills) are not always able to hide behind a user name. Some of us use signatures in our posts and our profiles contain our names, towns and contact details eg. websites. This information is viewable to anyone registered on this site.

I certainly don't think I would be very happy if I discovered my nail tech, beauty therapist, make-up artist slagging me off on a public forum.

I hope it will be helpful to discuss this constructively. In the beauty industry we are always pushing to be recognized and treated as professionals, however, we also need to treat our clients with respect. It is not respectful if they discovered that they were the topic of a negative conversation. IMO it's a bit like slagging a client off in the middle of the salon in front of other customers.

BRAVO!!!!!!

At last - a voice of common sense.

I agree absolutely and wholeheartedly 100% (although you may have guessed that already lol).

It is shockingly unprofessional and paints no-one but the therapist in a very bad light. Therapists are not 'just' therapists but business professionals as well. That must be remembered at all times. You could be, say, the best waxer in the world; but if you do not hang onto your clients and treat them well then you have no business and are merely someone who knows how to wax. Nothing more.

There is a recent post on here from someone who is doing a Customer Service NVQ. It sounds fantastic. I bet the girl studying it (sorry can't remember user name) will see a massive difference in her business as a result of it.

I've just got back from the US this week - wow! now there's a lesson in how to treat customers.

J xx

I keep mine to blogs.....this is World Wide Web.....Imagine finding someone writing about you......

Totally wrong and I really dislike posts like this but I can understand how sometimes you just want to get something off your chest but I don't think a public forum is the way to go.

Totally wrong and I really dislike posts like this but I can understand how sometimes you just want to get something off your chest but I don't think a public forum is the way to go.

I agree with you. We all need somewhere/someone to sound off at. But that is what husbands, friends, colleagues and pm's etc are for.

My daughter has had quite a bit of media attention this year (and more to come :rolleyes:). It has been quite an experience googling her and reading all the things people have written about her on forums I never knew existed. Fortunately it's been mostly positive, but i've seen some horrible things written about other people. It's not nice.

Granted we can become disheartened and frustrated at certain situations and in these situations, confidence can be totally knocked.

It is also difficult when you work on your own and are not able to bounce ideas off or run things by your colleagues. This is one of the reasons I find salon geek so helpful, but I feel there are definitely ways to go about it such as in PM's or Blogs, where the blog is viewable only by your selected friends list.

I don't think people realise how easily this site can be found.It is like we are all in our own little world but when searching any beauty/nail/holistics on any search engine bits of salon geek will come up and if you use your real name that can be seen to.So we are not in a little geeky bubble we are out there for everyone in the world to see.
Im not sure whether in my 3000 plus posts i have ever been guilty of this but i don't think so, not on a personal level anyway.
Its not just clients though is it.Its also talking about friends and family and your business practices what if you are not registered and here you are telling everyone how busy you are it could be a way for the IR to find you.

I always think this is a tricky one, because as much as I can see the dangers in people doing this who list their details on their posts or use their real name. It is very easy for anyone to find us on here and so long as they sign up, have access to pretty much everything we write and or put in our profiles.

I also notice that much of the good advice that is given on the site comes from posts that are from particular client experiences when a therapist has had a particular incident with a client and does not know what to do. For example there was a particular thread that Gigi was running where many people got her input into 'what I should do' or 'what I should have done' with this client or that client and I think its helpful for everyone to look at the experiences of others so they can learn from them before it happens to them.

I guess at least threads like this do remind people on the board that the things that they are say are more public than they think and what they choose to post is up to them.

I'm very much with Mrs Clooney here and do not think clients should be discussed on professional forums that are open to the public.

One can, with a bit of effort, de-personalise it and get advice, so that you learn how to improve the way you deal with certain situations. It's always better to take the emotion out of it, deal with the facts and remove anything that could identify the client. It doesn't help that much if your clients know your user id.

It is probably better to have the discussions somewhere that isn't publicly accessible by the search engines though.

Mike

I always think this is a tricky one, because as much as I can see the dangers in people doing this who list their details on their posts or use their real name. It is very easy for anyone to find us on here and so long as they sign up, have access to pretty much everything we write and or put in our profiles.

I also notice that much of the good advice that is given on the site comes from posts that are from particular client experiences when a therapist has had a particular incident with a client and does not know what to do. For example there was a particular thread that Gigi was running where many people got her input into 'what I should do' or 'what I should have done' with this client or that client and I think its helpful for everyone to look at the experiences of others so they can learn from them before it happens to them.

I guess at least threads like this do remind people on the board that the things that they are say are more public than they think and what they choose to post is up to them.
The difference with using our own experiences to help other therapists is that we're not bitching about our clients, unlike those who choose to slag off some of their clients and really give a bad impression of the industry as a whole.
We're not talking 'experiences' here, we're talking blatant nastiness (in some cases) that is quite honestly unnecessary to get the point across.

There is quite a difference between saying:
"My client was being rather difficult about xyz" and "My client was a total cow about xyz"

As a client I know which one I'd rather read and I know which one puts our industry in a better 'light', regardless as to whether the therapist has their details on the site or not:!:

This is exactly what I am trying to point out. I personally don't have a problem with an enquiry such as (and the do crop up from time to time) eg. 'client has requested money back, I need advice'.

However, I think we need to be careful how we word posts like this. It is okay to ask for advice but to blatantly state, 'client is trying to rip me off' or to title a thread with, 'I've just done make-up on the ugliest bride' is just not professional, sensitive and is certainly not going to do your business any favours. Whats more, a title like this will definitely attract attention from other geeks and visitors to the site and who knows, it may even be the bride :eek:.

If I am guilty of having berated a client here then I am certainly going to take my own words on board. Just please think before you post.

Right, off my soap box now.

You've raised some VERY valid points and thoughts to ponder.

I think, if posted constructively (and/or looking for support), or with humour and MINUS nastiness... it's fine.
I also think that maybe SOME clients NEED to read such posts because some are simply downright rude and inconsiderate and need to know this and know that it's NOT just the opinion of their therapist, but of many.

We're human. Most people can go to work and vent about issues with colleagues. NOBODY is innocent.. we all vent about this or that at one time or another.
BUT for those of us working alone, it's hard sometimes, not to be able to vent to someone who truly understands. This is our only place to do it. I don't think we should be denied the right to vent, simply denied the right to be nasty.

In general, with regards to the world wide web... no matter what we write and where we write it, we should ALWAYS think about our wording. Most of us do.. and sometimes we forget. It happens...

Having said all of that... I just want to point out that I more or less agree with you.

I keep mine to blogs.....this is World Wide Web.....Imagine finding someone writing about you......
Me to I would never ever comment on a client on the main forum I keep any issues I have for my friends to read.

I do think it is unprofessional to air your dirty laundry in public :hug:

I tell my clients that I take my client confidentiality extremely seriously.

That confidentiality extends everywhere the world wide web included.

I am a professional and my clients pay for a professional and confidential service.

Great thread Mrs Clooney:hug:

I put my hand up to running some of my clients down ,and the other day added Salon Geek as a link onto my website . I then at a later date added my web ad to my Facebook profile .Mmm , I stopped and thought what if my Facebook client viewed my website, clicked on the link SG , and sighned up, makes me think twice now, not good to run down your clients, after all their the ones that pay our wage , no matter what pain in the butt they may be..sometimes :confused:

Last edited:
I would be interested in your views please with regard to the title of this thread. I think what has really pushed me to post about this, is something which was mentioned in a discussion a couple of weeks ago by a beauty colleague, about publicly and negatively discussing and commenting on clients on professional forums which are open to the public. A particular thread has also spurred me on to ask this question?

Do you think it is professional or even right to post about how 'my 10 o'clock appointment never bothered to turn up' or 'cheeky mare client has asked for a refund because xxx and who the heck does she think she is?'

These forums may very well be read by the very clients being commented on and professional geeks (whatever your skills) are not always able to hide behind a user name. Some of us use signatures in our posts and our profiles contain our names, towns and contact details eg. websites. This information is viewable to anyone registered on this site.

I certainly don't think I would be very happy if I discovered my nail tech, beauty therapist, make-up artist slagging me off on a public forum.

I hope it will be helpful to discuss this constructively. In the beauty industry we are always pushing to be recognized and treated as professionals, however, we also need to treat our clients with respect. It is not respectful if they discovered that they were the topic of a negative conversation. IMO it's a bit like slagging a client off in the middle of the salon in front of other customers.

Totally agree. Dosnt help raise the professionalism when a clients getting slated on here no matter how much of a mare some can be - its all part and parcel of working with the public in a service roll.

Like any job you have to take the good with the bad, and I think theres more good in this industry than bad.

Kate

I have kept my ranting over clients, well at least the only one I remember, to my blogs (as far as I can remember I have done this once, where the clien't might guess it was her, if she knew it was me) But I feel quite safe, as my user name is nowhere linked to my salon name, apart from one time when asking about my website. This way I know it's almost impossible to tell it's me.

I usually don't think I'm nasty at any point, and won't be, but my last blogs have been about a client from hell, as I called her, and If any clients read that I hope they agree about her being a bit over the top (to say the least)

My point is, I agree no nasty and no specific details, but I will still rant about client's in my blog and give advise about clients based on my experience, just make no specific details.

It's a very big forum, and for a client to get on here and start reading everything is not very likely, but still they could, so keep it kind of nice.

Great thread by the way:hug:

I have kept my ranting over clients, well at least the only one I remember, to my blogs (as far as I can remember I have done this once, where the clien't might guess it was her, if she knew it was me) But I feel quite safe, as my user name is nowhere linked to my salon name, apart from one time when asking about my website. This way I know it's almost impossible to tell it's me.

:hug:

Is that not your website address below your username? I'm not sure if it is or not as it is not in english lol!

Totally agree, when you google anything to do with our industry, salon geek regulary comes up. I recently wanted to make a post about a situation I want to hear off others about but have decided against it in case a) a client reads it or b) my bosses may not be happpy with me discussing something personal on the www!

Great thread! I often google for a nail product and up pops a post from Salongeek for all to read.

I agree with all that is said here!

(Mrs Clooney if I ever have a problem I know were to come!):green:

Is that not your website address below your username? I'm not sure if it is or not as it is not in english lol!

LOL I thought I had my old one on (a non nail relatet site) I'll go remove it so they can't find me. Talking about stupid huh...:hug:
But think it's a very common search word in my language, it actually basically just means : Nails now, so thousands of other things comes up, but still I know I'm stupid LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back