New and needing help Please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjem

Reaction score
hey guys, ive been doing nails for about 3 months now and its all going ok i guess, just had a few things i wanted some help with...

first of all, sets are still taking me 2 hours, is this ok?

secondly, ive got a client who has acrylics, which when first put on are fine. but as soon as she has the infills, the whole lot lifts. im prepping properly, its not touching cuticles or sidewalls, just cant understand it. we have tried it a few times, to see if i was doing something wrong, but it does it every time.

any help would be brill:lol:
thanks guys
xx

Hi and welcome.
firstly your timing will come down with experience, 2 hours is about right
when you first start out, to be honest i would concentrate more on
why the nails are lifting rather than how long it takes you to do them.
lifting is normally down to the prep of the nail.
maybe give us a step by step of what you are doing.

Where did you train, what products are you working with etc?

Your profile isn't filled out and the more we know about what you use and the level of your experience the easier it is to offer help and advice.

Welcome to the site.

Geeg is right, fill out your profile, then we will all be able to help you a little more!
2 hours is nothing to worry about, the more sets you do the less your time gets!
Ive been doing nails coming up 2 years now and on average I take about 1hr20mins to do a full set, this can be more depending on the clients wants and needs!

Everyone starts somewhere hun!

Welcome xxx:hug:

If i have learned anything its that you have to go over your prep work you maybe be missing something a simple step or not even know about a step there are great threads on prep right here on the geek

I'm guessing here as there's not that much to go on, but are you applying too much product at the infill and therefore it's too thick where it joins the natural nail instead of tapering gently ...? Just a thought.

At the moment, just concern yourself with the quality of your work, plenty of time to speed up when you have more experience. hth x

Hi and welcome. I wouldnt like to speak about your lifting problems as I dont know what system you use etc, so I would say you should speak to your educator for advice.

Re the timing though, I wouldnt worry, as Michelle G said, speed will improve with time, personally it takes me just over an hour to do a natural finish, and an hour and half for french, but to be honest, depending on what I've got to work with in the first place, a full set can still take me 2 hours on occasions, but as long as I know I've done the best job I can, I'm happy (and no one has complained about the time - yet!!)

ah thanks guys, i trained at capital in salon system products. yeah not too worried bout the time, was just checking!
ok my prep... i dehydrate nail, i remove cuticles if needed,i take off surface shine if any attatch tips, blend then wipe with dehydrate again, then apply acrylic primer then acrylic. im doing it as i was taught i think! our course was only a week long, then 8 weeks practising followed by a one day exam. any help would be taken with much love!!
xxx

What are you dehydrating with?

antiseptic spray. thats what i was told to use?!

Ah that could be the problem. lol obviously this is just my opinion but I used to use antiseptic spray and I found also I was having a lot of lifting problems. If you read the label on the bottle its meant to sanitise hands and nails and even hard surfaces, it wont actually dehydrate the nail plate. Why dont you try an actual nail dehydrater. For example I used Creatives Scrubfresh and Nail Fresh Products, and touch wood they work great for me. However you will need the salon system equivilant.

hth

Ah that could be the problem. lol obviously this is just my opinion but I used to use antiseptic spray and I found also I was having a lot of lifting problems. If you read the label on the bottle its meant to sanitise hands and nails and even hard surfaces, it wont actually dehydrate the nail plate. Why dont you try an actual nail dehydrater. For example I used Creatives Scrubfresh and Nail Fresh Products, and touch wood they work great for me. However you will need the salon system equivilant.

hth

Yep that works as an answer for me to, there is a tutorial on here, on prep which is well worth a look or 6 would just like to add that you need to be very careful when doing a rebalance that your dehydrator does not touch your old acrylic because it will cause a breakdown in the product, which causes lifting.

I have to say that I definitely learned my lesson. When geeks tell you that you have to follow your recommendations for the system that you use, listen! Because I didn't and now I am paying the price. I use Tammy Taylor products which with her products you are not supposed to use any type of pre prime or dehydrator because everything you need is right in her primer. But I went ahead and used Scrubfresh and now I have lifting problems. It's not because Scrubfresh is a bad product by any means, it's just because it interfered with my system and I tampered with the instructions of that system. If I was using CND, then Scrubfresh would definitely be needed. You should contact your product line and find out what is recommended for the preparation process and use what they tell you because each system is formulated differently. :green:

Yep that works as an answer for me to, there is a tutorial on here, on prep which is well worth a look or 6 would just like to add that you need to be very careful when doing a rebalance that your dehydrator does not touch your old acrylic because it will cause a breakdown in the product, which causes lifting.

I use creative and untill reading this site used the spray and wipe ...anti bac spray.... but now i am concerned about the above statement... how are you ment to wipe the natural nail plate and not touch the old product?..any tips.
Ta Mel

I use creative and untill reading this site used the spray and wipe ...anti bac spray.... but now i am concerned about the above statement... how are you ment to wipe the natural nail plate and not touch the old product?..any tips.
Ta Mel

sorry to digress from the original question.....but Mel if you are CND trained then you should really be using Scrubfresh for dehydration in your prep procedure, it also is a natural nail cleanser.
Scrubfresh should just be used on the natural nail and when applying a set of tips should not be wiped over the tip, as it can weaken it.
HOWEVER, the small amount that is used to dehydrate the nailplate in a rebalance it does not really matter if it touches the old product.

This has been discussed before on here, and this was stated by both Geeg and Mrs Geek....so will be correct!

I tended to use a cotton bud soaked in Scrubfesh, which also saved on how much I used and could target the area better. HTH

I agree with everyone else that 2 hours is pretty reasonable at your stage, and it could well be the dehydration in your prep is causing lifting.
You will need to find out what dehydrating products there are in your system, and see if that helps.

You should definately check out the prep tutorials, they are great.

sorry to digress from the original question.....but Mel if you are CND trained then you should really be using Scrubfresh for dehydration in your prep procedure, it also is a natural nail cleanser.
Thought I should point out using CND and being CND trained is not the same thing in Oz.

You should definately check out the prep tutorials, they are great.

Thought I should point out using CND and being CND trained is not the same thing in Oz.

Thanks for that:)....but I would still say that to get the best out of any system you need to use the whole system.

Thanks for that:)....but I would still say that to get the best out of any system you need to use the whole system.
I'll agree with that.

hth
thanks, where do i find the tutorials?!? sorry! so i have to use all the same brand and not mix any, even when it comes to prep then?
:)
xxx

Top left hand side of the page click on navigation, then you will find tutorials. And yes you should be using a complete system.

Latest posts

Back