New gel please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emily, I think what the gals are getting at is: nail enhancements, be they l&p, UV gel, or whatever, do not damage the natural nail. It's the overfiling of the natural nail and/or prying off the enhancement that does the damage. L&P is no more damaging than gel in this respect--and that goes for your brand of gel as well as any other (they're all acrylic, btw). A few of the gels out there have been created without certain chemicals that are prone to causing allergic responses (Brisa being one of them), but that doesn't change the overall nature of those enhancements.

Another way of putting it: if you pry off an enhancement made with Angel Love, it's going to take layers of nail plate away with it, same as any other enhancement. If you overfile the nail plate before applying Angel Love, the nail is damaged, period. It's not the product that damages, it's how you treat it. Did that make any sense? :)

Edit: And Becki and Lyndsay just said the same thing in fewer words! :D GMTA!

I use Balance pink and white gels which I am really happy with. (the sixth brand I have tried) Have used them for 2 years or so.

I am looking at the MSDS sheets for brisa right now. It is a completly different chemical makeup than angel love or quintessence and a few others I have found. Methacrylate is not good for a persons nails. It may not damage them to the eye but these chemical can get into the blood stream and I have even seen it cause Arthritis in people. As soon as they stop having these put on thier nails the arthiritis went away. I am not going to fight about this or debate this, as long as we think we are doing what is best for our client I guess that is all that matters.

I am looking at the MSDS sheets for brisa right now. It is a completly different chemical makeup than angel love or quintessence and a few others I have found. Methacrylate is not good for a persons nails. It may not damage them to the eye but these chemical can get into the blood stream and I have even seen it cause Arthritis in people. As soon as they stop having these put on thier nails the arthiritis went away. I am not going to fight about this or debate this, as long as we think we are doing what is best for our client I guess that is all that matters.
Ethyl Methacrylate (EMA) is perfectly safe for nails and shouldn't be confused with Methyl Methacrylate (MMA).
If you'd like an MSDS sheet for Brisa then I've got a copy I can send to you.
It's free of the 3 main allergens/irritants, acrylates, gluteraldehyde and formaldehyde.

I think this kind of thread is very good as it teaches us the practices of other companies, and the products they have available.

I agree with Nailatist, The care you take when applying any kind of nail enhancment is what will keep the natural nail from being damaged. I recently had a client who went to "another" type of salon because she coudn't keep her appt with me and figured she'd get a manicure really quick, two weeks later I can see the damage on her nailbed around the cuticle area where they must have scraped too hard.... It almost looks like rings of fire, but she doesn't even have nail enhancements on!

I am always very careful of the natural nail when filing and prepping the nails prior to product application. As far as a gel that contains no monomers, the gel is just another form of acrylic, where monomers are prejoined to make an oligomer, in between a monomer and polymer, so you don't have to worry about ratio's.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and try as many products as you can. Whichever product you choose, make sure you are trained to use it, as many different products require differents steps.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. All I know is that my clients are converts for life and will never wear acrylic of any form again.

I agree with Nailatist, The care you take when applying any kind of nail enhancment is what will keep the natural nail from being damaged. I recently had a client who went to "another" type of salon because she coudn't keep her appt with me and figured she'd get a manicure really quick, two weeks later I can see the damage on her nailbed around the cuticle area where they must have scraped too hard.... It almost looks like rings of fire, but she doesn't even have nail enhancements on!

I am always very careful of the natural nail when filing and prepping the nails prior to product application. As far as a gel that contains no monomers, the gel is just another form of acrylic, where monomers are prejoined to make an oligomer, in between a monomer and polymer, so you don't have to worry about ratio's.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and try as many products as you can. Whichever product you choose, make sure you are trained to use it, as many different products require differents steps.

This is exactly my point not ALL gels are liquid acrylic there are a few that are a TOTALLY different chemical makeup. I feel like I am beating a dead horse with a stick. I dont know any other way of putting it.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree. All I know is that my clients are converts for life and will never wear acrylic of any form again.

but all systems are from the acrylic family...are you saying that your gels is 100% not acylic....?...sorry but i am confused.

Ethyl Methacrylate (EMA) is perfectly safe for nails and shouldn't be confused with Methyl Methacrylate (MMA).

this was my first thought too.....must be some confusion here.

This is exactly my point not ALL gels are liquid acrylic there are a few that are a TOTALLY different chemical makeup. I feel like I am beating a dead horse with a stick. I dont know any other way of putting it.

Actually, all gels are a form of acrylic. No gels are a liquid acrylic, they are gel(oligomer) not liquid (monomer). Gels and liquid & powder acrylic both polymerize to make acrylic. I'm sure each comany tweaks the formula to create their unique product.

NO chemicals used in nail enhancement can enter a persons blood stream through the nail. This is just untrue. Nails are non living. Your information is simply incorrect.

To learn about product chemistry you must read the Book by Douglas Shoone.
Try not to be so closed minded and learn the facts.

Nail chemicals do not cause arthritis either ... completely untrue. There is no debate on factual information, that is why they are facts.

It is myths and speculation like this and misinformation being passed around on web sites and from tech to tech that perpetuate these silly ideas. Go to the sources who have done the research and learn the truth.

There are no nail products out there that are either good or bad for the natural nail. Even MMA isn't BAD (doesn't physically damage) for the nail. Yes it is too hard to be worn on nails, Yes breakages are horrendous, yes the techniques used to make it stick are damaging but IN ITSELF just sitting there on top of the nail, it causes no damage.

On the other hand, there are many many bad and ill trained nail technicians that damage nails every day by over filing, clipping off product, improper removal etc.

Latest posts

Back