Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well im gonna put my 2 pence worth in too i am a (newbie) as in i have just returned to nails after a break and i have never found anyone to be rude to me many people have answered my threads and gave me advice and above all else made me welcome .i do search for answers first instead of filling the site with old questions that a million people have already answered. i think some people need to get their heads down enjoy the site and all the valuble info it provides and master your proffesion and one day you will be helping a newbie xxx:wink2:

You said in a short paragraph what took me my usual epic.

Well said!! :hug::hug:

Everyone was a newbie once, whether new to nails or just new to the site. I have found people most helpful, having said that I don't ask many questions as I read the forums and try to figure out the answer myself. It is comforting to know that there are people on here who have many years experience and I for one am most grateful for their advice and comments. I am passionate about nails and just love doing them so much, job satisfaction is something I don't get in the school I teach in and one day it is my dream to do nails full time and give up working at the school. If I do happen to ask a daft question, in the future, bear with me.
Many thanks
Lorraine

Everyone was a newbie once, whether new to nails or just new to the site. I have found people most helpful, having said that I don't ask many questions as I read the forums and try to figure out the answer myself. It is comforting to know that there are people on here who have many years experience and I for one am most grateful for their advice and comments. I am passionate about nails and just love doing them so much, job satisfaction is something I don't get in the school I teach in and one day it is my dream to do nails full time and give up working at the school. If I do happen to ask a daft question, in the future, bear with me.
Many thanks
Lorraine

The dafter the better as far as I'm concerned ... :lol: Sure as shootin' someone else will want to know the same thing.

Geez.... it's amazing to me how many peeps talk out of their butts. :rolleyes:
THERE... are you happy? I've been rude!

It's not a matter of being mean? Why do you have to defend yourself there? If you decided to ignore the posts from new members whose posts you "can't be bothered with" or whom you suspect are trying to learn nails from scratch on this forum, then maybe this stuff wouldn't bother you?
Those that choose to answer posts are DONATING THEIR TIME, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS to help others. They do NOT owe anyone a single damn thing. So, if they want to be choosy and help those that are 'sincerely dedicated' and not home-garage mechanics, then that is THEIR right. If they choose to spend their money on the true techs, that is their busines BECAUSE that's indeed what they are doing. The money that THEY spent on their courses is benefitting someone else. You wouldn't dare try to dictate to someone to whom they should make charitable donations. Same applies here.

If the newbie thing is SUCH an issue, why haven't you taken steps to eliminate the problem. This may have been said but I feel it's necessary to bring it up. This thread is PAGES long. Obviously this site has a major problem with newbies. I've seen these poor newbies' posts and they are scared to death! Once they post, asking if they are OK to stay on here, they are "approved." Selectively chosen.
Either you don't grasp the english language very well, or you're deliberately choosing to be obtuse and make trouble. It was VERY clearly explained over SEVERAL pages as you observed that we DO want to help 'newbies'. The ones we don't want to help are those not intending on a genuine career. It was explained in so many different ways (by myself including, using a doctor analogy a few posts up) that I can't understand why YOU STILL DON'T understand the difference.

You really should market your site in this fashion. Have a form for everyone to fill out - where you are taking your courses; the numbers for your professional qualifications, etc. Then it's submitted and subject to rigorous review before being allowed here.
Also clearly explained. Since this is an international forum, and standards/licensing/requirements vary across the continents AND because the mods DONATE their time; it's simply NOT feasible to embark on such an undertaking (read the other pages of this thread and you'll see that)

If it is too much hassle or would cost too much to handle the site that way, then I don't think it's worth anyone's time to even comment on the issue.
Perhaps to you... since you seem to have taken offense

Don't you know about human nature? You should have realized you'd get unexperienced techs! Some of them may not be evil in their intentions and may assume they might get some free tips. But if they are either not responded to OR if they are nicely referred to the Search function, why not leave it up to themselves to find info here?
So how should we say it? Spend 10min writing a bloody love letter so as not to offend? Or be adult and direct to the point and tell them to use the search? Nothing rude there. Rude would be "you idiot, use the !@$%^&* search button". THAT is rude. No one has been rude in the way that they direct others to the search. And for the record: everyone's getting free tips whether or not we respond to a post.. all they have to do is read. So no one's getting cheated. Hey, it's FREE.... You have no right to complain when you've been given a gift and an opportunity. If you had to pay for it, that would be a whole other kettle of fish.

Then you won't have to " spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all."
Again, see above.

And I've never seen someone DEMAND a lengthy answer...
AND YET on many occasions they have been given, not one, not two, but SEVERAL PAGES WORTH. And directed to multiple resources. FOR FREE!!
Do you have even the most remote clue of what kind of monetary value could be put on all the education, resources and support found here?????
Would you be so rude as to yell and complain at your grandmother for giving you a fancy heirloom as a gift at christmas? I think not, and in essence, that is EXACTLY what you have done on this site.

Maybe someone is deciding on whether or not to get into nails and therefore has no nail education but wants to ask questions on the business, products and technique to see if the profession is right for him or her. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? But no, you discourage people like this and dismiss their questions by implying that this site is too good to spend time with them or to even NICELY refer them to the search function.
No, that is NOT what's done. We direct them to attend a course. Every time. OR to seek out a professionl, depending on the question.
We will NOT irresponsibly help someone to damage themselves, or their friends. We have a responsibility to the industry to stop that sort of thing from occurring.

I have seen the most horrendous comments - and from a MODERATOR - to the most innocent of comments. Purely rude. And I've seen what seem to be regular members laugh at the comments and say that only the mod can get away with it. It's just appalling.
Really? feel free to point it out.

And let me guess - all of what I've written will be denied, right?

Well........ do you really want me to respond to that last comment? I suspect you don't.

WHOOPS I was rude. Shame on me.
But hey, if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones because your entire post has been a GIANT insult to the rest of us. (not to mention all the other insults that you have flung from other threads).

Crikey Moses people.

If you reach out asking for help, it is considered polite to extend the same level of help by filling out your profile. I could have made it mandatory to fill it out, but I didn't. From my perspective, it isn't mandatory to fill in a bunch of fields to ask for help/perspective/etc...

If you would prefer not to help someone out who hasn't taken the time out to fill in their profile, then either kindly nudge them, or make the choice to not answer the thread. No reason to make someone feel uncomfortable because they didn't fill out a few boxes that someone could just as easily blag their way through anyway.

This is a community, not the great guardian of knowledge that can only bestow the gift to those that know the secret handshake. Answering someones questions does not grant skill nor equally replace education.

PS:

When I first visited this forum.... my skills were abysmal, to say the least.

This forum has MADE me the tech I am today and will MAKE me the tech I will be tomorrow.

FOR FREE!!!!!!!! They never asked a single thing from me!!
Which, given the poor quality of education in Quebec, and the fact that we have no standards here...... I am GRATEFUL to the Geeks for helping me all that they have.
They have been overly generous on a profesional AND a personal level, towards me.
I count many of them as friends, and they will be so for LIFE.

Having said that.... YES I will take it as a personal offense if anyone shoots them down.

So maybe the world has gone crazy.. I don't know.

If by speaking up is your euphemism for being just plain rude than you're doing a great job ... and you are not doing yourself any favours either. I don't care how long you have been lurking here ... why did you join if you so clearly dislike the site?

I think I am just bothered about the comments that to me could be stated in a nicer way. Maybe you really didn't INTEND to come across as rude in some replies, but I've used that good old search function the first few times I read some of your replies and up came several more. It only took me minutes.

And although I'm quite bothered about the tone that is implied in many replies, I have seen absolutely wonderful advise given by you and so many others. That's why I (and most members) come to this site - lurkers or members.

...Do as you would be done by, I say. It hardly does you any credit to accuse others of being rude with no facts to back it up while all can plainly see how disprepectful and rude you are being and deliberately so.

I did find some posts that I believe were uncalled for:

[FONT=&quot][URL]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69410-nail-adhesive.html#post732435
[/FONT][/URL]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69220-l-p-products-newbies.html#post730602[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69313-smiles-not-so-smiley.html#post732334[/FONT]

I just don't agree that people should be treated like this. As in the case of the third link, this girl's work was unnecessarily picked apart and how can you NOT be defensive when someone comments on your work like that?

It's posts like that in which I think could have been handled more tactfully and gracefully.

I know that everyone here truly wants to help and it is much appreciated - you can tell by the many positive comments. There is a wealth of great info here and I am not ever denying that. I guess it's just the way certain posts are handled, that's all.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

sorry but i have to say i saw nothing rude ,abrupt or otherwise there just my opinion xx

Stilts,

I suggest you re-read those posts after a bit of a kip as there isn't anything wrong with any of the posts you are picking out unless you specifically read them with trouble in mind.

I am not saying that everyone has always responded perfectly to newbies, but we are all human and those that you linked certainly don't point to anything otherwise.

Finally, if you and Geeg have an issue, take it to a PM please.

I did find some posts that I believe were uncalled for:

[FONT=&quot][URL]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69410-nail-adhesive.html#post732435[/FONT]
[/URL]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69220-l-p-products-newbies.html#post730602[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69313-smiles-not-so-smiley.html#post732334[/FONT]

Are you serious????

I just don't agree that people should be treated like this. As in the case of the third link, this girl's work was unnecessarily picked apart and how can you NOT be defensive when someone comments on your work like that?

What?? You don't think these geeks have had fab advice here??

It's posts like that in which I think could have been handled more tactfully and gracefully.

What are we ballet dancers? Gracefully??

I know that everyone here truly wants to help and it is much appreciated - you can tell by the many positive comments. There is a wealth of great info here and I am not ever denying that. I guess it's just the way certain posts are handled, that's all.

Well I guess I must be "reading things wrong" eh??
Did I forget to take my chill pill?.....:)

I agree that no one should feel threatened by the 'back yard Barbies' but like you, for most of us here on the site it is a question of TIME too. (By the way, if you have time to write that post you have more than enough time to get to your profile and fill it in :green:)

The back door types can search the site for info like anyone else. If they learn from the info here then that is a good thing and will help raise standards/awareness in itself, but they will not learn how to do nails here on the site, and most of us would not spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all.

It's not a matter of being mean or holding back information (the info is all here if they bother to search) it is more a matter of attitude and if the 'Barbie' can't be bothered and moreover is unwilling to take the proper steps to good training then I personally can't be bothered to spend my time going over old ground to help her.

hmmm? if i had time to write that post then i had more than enough time to fill out my profile???? is that some sort of attack ?? very strange way to talk to people ??? didnt know you can complete a profile at the same time while typing a reply to a post????? (handbags at the ready!!)

anyway my point is still the same, EVERYONE has choices ! you can reply or not. why judge people when you dont really know them?? NOT EVERYONE IS PERFECT!!!!

hmmm? if i had time to write that post then i had more than enough time to fill out my profile???? is that some sort of attack ?? very strange way to talk to people ??? didnt know you can complete a profile at the same time while typing a reply to a post????? (handbags at the ready!!)

Didn't read like an attack to me, just a light hearted observation. I guess it depends on the way you choose to see it :)

Can't we all move on now and get back to the point of the topic?

anyway my point is still the same, EVERYONE has choices ! you can reply or not. why judge people when you dont really know them?? NOT EVERYONE IS PERFECT!!!!

I have spare chill pills here:eek:
Handbags at the ready???
Dear God.
The whole point of the thread is FILL IN YOUR PROFILE that's all!!!

Judy I have my handbag ready just give the word :lol:

I had been asked to provide proof of where I thought comments were a bit rude and I did. Perhaps this should have been asked in a PM but it wasn't so I thought it was OK to post them here, especially when a couple of people had asked for examples.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69809-ugly-duck-nails-2.html#post736867[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69809-ugly-duck-nails-2.html#post736873[/FONT]

It would take much too long to list instances where things are dealt with rather harshly. They are all on this website.

And as for my use of the word "gracefully" - why attack me on that? Gracefully does not only pertain to dancing. To handle a situation gracefully is to handle it with grace. Simple. And also not the issue here. I've proven my point here even though I will get attacked for saying so. I do believe this site is a wonderful asset for aspiring nail techs and perhaps will not be the site of choice for many others due to the perceptions of attitudes. It's not for everyone and that's OK.

Ooh that was a good thread,get the ear candling one up as well :lol:

Didn't I just say that if you have an issue with Gigi to take it to a PM?

The first link is not in response to a newbie, its her general feelings about the nail style in question. In other words, it was about a style, not a person. Your second link was simply someone else quoting her words from your first link! FWIW, the style is pretty freaking fugly.

Again, if you have an issue with Gigi, take it up with her in a PM and stop using the site to start a flame war against 1 person. Its not graceful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back