Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailzoo

Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong, but there is something amiss here.

I have seen quite a few posts by new techs ( I look at peoples profiles).

Recently trained (or bluffing training).

Either they haven't been trained incorrectly/appallingly, or they are lying to get advice (yes, perhaps a harsh assumption), but some of the questions they ask make me question them.

They want an easy way out, an answer to something really basic, or mouth off trying to sound knowledgeable, only to fall over their bottom lip.

What I find interesting is the ease at which others just offer up advice, whether it's to be the first to answer, or if it's an uncontrollable desire to help just "anyone".

This is a professional forum, but I feel there may be some less than professionals sneaking through the cracks.

I'm all for helping people, but I'm not so sure about teaching bluffers who buy products from anywhere/anyone ....... and have dubious backgrounds or posting history.

Who knows, the knowledge you give them may just give them the jump to set up business from their garage in your suburb and cut your price by 50%.

Is there anyway to vet newbies, or do we just trust anyone who "claims" to be trained?

I know this may be taken the wrong way by some people, but it's been on my mind for sometime and reading some posts just seem to turn this invisible knife of suspicion in my guts and I just had to speak my mind.

Last edited:
We have to be trusting and when we suspect that someone is untrained and trying the back door approach, we will often get jumped on from a huge height by some members who think we have been unkind to newbies.

Damned if we do and damned if we dont so to speak.

Now don't get me wrong, but there is something amiss here.
I have seen quite a few posts by new techs ( I look at peoples profiles).

Recently trained (or bluffing training).

Either they haven't been trained correctly or they are lying to get advice (yes, perhaps a harsh assumption), but some of the questions they ask make me question them.

They want an easy way out, an answer to something really basic, or mouth off trying to sound knowledgeable, only to fall over their bottom lip.

What I find interesting is the ease at which others just offer up advice, whether it's to be the first to answer, or if it's an uncontrollable desire to help just anyone.

This is a professional forum, but I feel there may be some less than professionals sneaking through the cracks.

I'm all for helping people, but I'm not so sure about teaching bluffers who buy products from anywhere/anyone .......

who knows, the knowledge you give them may just give them the jump to set up business from their garage in your suburb and cut your price by 50%.

Is there anyway to vet newbies, or do we just trust anyone who "claims" to be trained?

I know this may be taken the wrong way by some people, but it's been on my mind for sometime and reading some posts just seem to turn this invisible knife of suspicion in my guts.

Hi there

i am a 'newbie' and can only speak for myself. I did my training in NSI acrylics and had to make alot of ajustustments having 3 kids and a full time job to be able to do my training so nails are something i am totally serious about. Thats why when I found this site i has been like a god send, not because I havent been trained correctly, but more the fact that some things cant be taught - they just come with experiance - so that is where, for me you guys come in. I am just starting on my journey and i have alot to learn, the same in any trade.

Karen x

We have to be trusting and when we suspect that someone is untrained and trying the back door approach, we will often get jumped on from a huge height by some members who think we have been unkind to newbies.

Damned if we do and damned if we dont so to speak.

I try not to be unkind, I look at their profiles, their history and assess the question they are asking (often I won't answer).

It would be better if they said in their profiles what qualifications they had and when they completed training rather than just when they started doing nails (which is sometimes a date of their interest in nails) and the product they use or bought from a supplier who only cares about sales (we know who these distributors are and the products they sell).

I have noticed an increase in this recently. I was checking a newbie's profile yesterday and after reading her previous posts, realised that she was bluffing her way through here too.

I think on here it's hard to prove who is telling the truth or who isn't. There has been numerous threads discussing whether this site should be access by only professionals. But the conclusion is that it is not pratical and will be difficult to monitor.

Nailzoo, I think with your experience it would only take you a second to realise if they are bluffing or not.

For the rest of us, I think we just then have to use our common sense and knowledge to seperate the real ones from the frauds as much as we possiblily can because after all, it is up to ourselves if we want to reply to a thread or not. But the few times when someone was experienced enough to reveal a fraud, he/ she has been shot down quickly and disrespecfully by others saying they are rude and harsh.

This is a no win situation.

Last edited:
Hi there

i am a 'newbie' and can only speak for myself. I did my training in NSI acrylics and had to make alot of ajustustments having 3 kids and a full time job to be able to do my training so nails are something i am totally serious about. Thats why when I found this site i has been like a god send, not because I havent been trained correctly, but more the fact that some things cant be taught - they just come with experiance - so that is where, for me you guys come in. I am just starting on my journey and i have alot to learn, the same in any trade.

Karen x

Karen, you are not the type of newbie I am talking about, obviously you take yourself and this site with enthusiasm, you have taken an interest in filling out your profile and letting us know about you and where you come from. Hell, you even have pictures.

I would not hesitate to help or answer any question you asked.

I am not judge or jury, but I take an interest in peoples profiles, where they are coming from and where they have been...... you answer this in your profile (and this generates my interest in your obviously genuine interest) which is nails :hug:

i think this is a good and interesting thread.
i went into nail being quite naive in the snese that i had no knowledege of who or what was good and where should i go for my training.i was just lucky in who i got as my trainer and the company whos products she was using was reputable.
there are lots of other people who havent been as fortunate as me and have ended up with bad courses.although i was qualified already when i joined here i feel that this site would have been a great help to me had i found it before i started my training or even during as this site has benefited me so much since i have been qualified.as we say our training is never over so i feel that we just have to make our own judgement and ask questions if we are not sure if someones being truthful.most of the time you can usually end up telling if they are bluffing or not.im just not sure if there is another way round it.
i definately feel that profiles are important as they influence an answer you may give someone so it does put me off if someone has only filled in the basics,which is a shame if they are genuine.x
great thread carl

This is a great thread Carl and something that has annoyed me at times too,
i do look at profiles and question there training if i think they are trying to be sly,
i also answer a lot of threads where the student has to be reminded that their home work is theirs and we are not here to do it for them but to help once they are qualified,

i agree with Fiona too, damned if we do and damned if we don't,
i know it is hard to pick out the ones that are doing this but it is a problem that needs to be addressed some way or another.

I have to say I agree with most of Carl's and others' comments. I find it very frustrating to go to someone's profile and find virtually nothing there, I definitely DO want to help (especially newbies) and tbh that's my main reason for visiting the site.

I also understand the Moderators' position - we don't want to be chasing people away or making them fearful of asking questions:eek:

I have always thought it would be good if there was a change in the 'registering rules' to ensure people do complete a profile that would allow the rest of us to assist better with our answers and advice and also to be aware of those that need a gentle nudge towards getting some or more training.

I don't think genuine new site-users would question this at all:!:

Last edited:
No disrespect to anyone on this site, but I must be honest I don't know whether I, and others like me are welcome here or not.

I'm confused... Is this site aimed only at those who are qualified, who have spent alot of time, effort and money, and that actually work in the industry, or are people who are learning welcome to come here and post too?

Sometimes, reading through threads, I do feel like I am intruding upon something that is none of my business even though I have a keen interest in nails.

I would like to point out that since finding this site, I have learnt a great deal about the industry, and been inspired by some of the fantastic work I have seen. All in all, browsing around this site makes me even more determind to succeed and it's all thanks to it's members.

I have often thought that this forum is too open and whilst I do not want to stifle or malign those who genuinely want to be professional I feel there should be some controls. I feel there is an element who know very little and perhaps do very short courses and with a lot of front set up being a professional and I actually think this forum can encourage that as they see how easy it can be to get advice. You would not be able to view a doctors forum for example and yet we are wide open. :confused:

Karen, you are not the type of newbie I am talking about, obviously you take yourself and this site with enthusiasm, you have taken an interest in filling out your profile and letting us know about you and where you come from. Hell, you even have pictures.

I would not hesitate to help or answer any question you asked.

I am not judge or jury, but I take an interest in peoples profiles, where they are coming from and where they have been...... you answer this in your profile (and this generates my interest in your obviously genuine interest) which is nails :hug:

I can understand what you are sayin - just as a newbie I felt I should answer - I havent been around long enough to see the type of post/proflie u talk about but i guess you guys can spot it a mile off! xx

I think it's always gone on...I thought it was just me and my suspicious mind tbh!
Unfilled profiles.....very basic questions etc..

Interesting point raised.

So,.....how do you decide if I or anyone else is a "professional" ?

For example, as you pointed out, I have done a 2 day course in extensions which I would be the first to say was pretty dire and I knew immeaditely there was alot more to "nails" than what i saw there!

However that has given me enough to have trade cards/accounts/insurance etc

BUT I also decided to gain an NVQ2 as well and plan on more education at a later date. PS never asked anyone a homework question though ;-)

So, I started my own business and also branched out into a couple of other areas of beauty.

I consider myself a "professional" albeit a very new one with plenty of learning to do which i strongly doubt will ever end.

But what do you think?

No disrespect to anyone on this site, but I must be honest I don't know whether I, and others like me are welcome here or not.

I'm confused... Is this site aimed only at those who are qualified, who have spent alot of time, effort and money, and that actually work in the industry, or are people who are learning welcome to come here and post too?

Sometimes, reading through threads, I do feel like I am intruding upon something that is none of my business even though I have a keen interest in nails.

I would like to point out that since finding this site, I have learnt a great deal about the industry, and been inspired by some of the fantastic work I have seen. All in all, browsing around this site makes me even more determind to succeed and it's all thanks to it's members.

Lucyann, of course you are welcome ......
something to keep in mind though, on 31/01/09 you mentioned you ordered a kit that was due to come the next week, it's only 14 days after that post. (anyone I don't know, I check their previous posts).

There will be shortcomings with a home learn course (at least you have taken an interest).

I feel salongeek is a place to ask advice and get some help, I don't think it's a place for freeloaders to leech information to teach themselves nails.

There are many people in here that have spent many valuable dollars and many valuable years because they have a genuine interest in the industry and have a passion for what they do.

We all started somewhere ...... in my days places like salongeek didn't exist.

It's a valuable community to share information with like minded individuals and company Representatives.

People are only too willing to share information, but the person asking the questions should really be putting some kind of effort in too, not just asking where to get cheap stuff and take take take.

At least you have invested in some kind of course.

This thread wasn't and isn't meant to be taken personally, it's just an observation on my behalf (and judging by the replies so far) many agree.

Put it this way ..... after paying for and completing your course, would you teach "just anyone" all the information you invested your time and money into .... for free, after making your investment of time and money? Wouldn't you prefer to help someone that has taken a similar path and paid for some kind of education? Assist them with their career that they have "invested in".

This person can also become your competitor (not in quality of course), even if that person takes one paying client, that's one client less that you have and less money in your pocket.

When you become what you want to be ( a nail technician) maybe you will become more protective of what you are, where you have come from, the money you spent, the time you spent and your industry reputation as a whole.

Good luck with your training and keep us up to date with issues and questions.

You qualify for answers by investing in your career path.

Last edited:
Good thread,
Maybe everyone should upload pics of there certificates :) just a thought ? :hug:

I have to agree with Lucyann - I myself and new in the industry and I am certified - but I still feel I have much to learn and sometimes things that may seem like common sense to the expert nail tech - is questionable for us newbies in the industry, so we may ask questions that seem "unprofessional" - but better to ask a stupid question and get the right answer, then not ask and get a bad rep as a nail tech. Even tho I'm new to the industry (and this site) - I take my job very seriously and I've also learned a great deal from this site and others like it.

ahhh see but.... it is sooooo easy for anyone with basic knowledge of photoshop or similar to 'edit' a certificate blot out real owners name and replace with their own !!

Lol so even that probably wouldn't work..... and it does nothing for students as they won't have any certification .....

:lol:

I started on this site with very little knowledge of nails, I had only just begun my manicure course, and had intentions of only doing my own nails....
I posted a picture of some shockingly rubbish nails I did straight away ..super long french ones done with a home kit....
I wouldn't be where I am (or have the plans I have) without help from geeks...

I didn't intend this at all when I joined.. and Infact I lurked for a while, and then only registered when I realised there were gallery pictures I couldn't see without joining...
The fear I have when I think I might never have pulled up a chair....sat down and made myself comfy here lol...

I don't see how this can be resolved at all tbh, but what I do think is that if someone is wanting to come on here....read information and ask questions without doing any training... It isn't really going to get them very far at all anyway is it...
I can't see them gaining a booming business from it :lol:
Whereas the people who do genuinely LOVE nails (whether training yet or not) will eventually see what they need to do to and we can help them feel that x

(geez... I haven't finished lol but I have to go pick the kids up from school...... TO BE CONTINUED........ lol) :green:

There is absolutely no reason NOT to ask questions, as has already been stated, we WANT to help newbies:)

However, it would be beneficial if those people who are asking for help, advice or opinions, filled in their profiles. Then we know what level of training, knowledge and skills people have and we can answer accordingly.

Generally speaking, those who do help others, have completed their profiles and don't have any hidden agendas. They genuinely wish to teach and inspire others, discuss industry-related topics and LEARN themselves.

Please do not take this discussion personally, we are trying to find a way to help everyone:)

I know a home learn won't get me from A to B, I just needed some sort of starting point to fit in with my current situation. I wouldn't have realised that so much if it wasn't for this site, I know that I have years and years of learning ahead of me and it's all from reading what I have read on here! Thank you for confirming i'm welcome lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back