Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I took it that way, maybe I wrote it wrong, didn't refer to you as I agreed with you:hug:
So don't think you offended anyone:green:

I only joined today. i am half way through my course in sculptured acrylic nails.

I havent had the time to read all of the responses to this thread. but im quite scared that i do not have the credentials to be on here so i have made a decision to gain my extra knowledge and tips elsewhere.

Thank you to the 3 ladies who gave me some advise earlier. it was very much appreciated.

Regards from a novice. 1/2 trained.

kate x

You have all the right credentials to be here huni, you are a student Nail Technician on a Nail sculpting course, not a fly by night who just uses this site without the proper training to see if she can knock up a set at lunch time.
We take every one on face value, those that bluff and want training on the cheap as in, read it, do it, charge em are found out sooner or later.
We are a passionate bunch and take our profession pretty serious but non the less, we are also here to help and learn from others.

So my advise would be stick around and learn and have fun xxxx

Eh hello.....
I've not been doing nails long and visit this site often for the advice you've all been giving other newbies. I've never posted a thread as I,ve been too intimidated by all you experienced pros out there.
It's exactly as you said.... I've discovered my training wasn't up to scratch.
I've learned loads from nail geek and although I'm doing a better job than some of the nail techs I've been to in the past, I still need all the help I can get!
I actually logged on tonight as I need advice about popits after doing the cnd class in Plymouth but quite frankly I don't fancy having you looking down your nose at me!
Keep up the good work!

Ok, so you've had training, not great training but training, you've been to CND and had a class in Popits but think we'll 'look down our noses' at you if you ask a question? Why? What exactly do you think this site is here for? To answer genuine questions from genuine nail tech's - like you!

Tbh, there are loads of Popits threads on here which may have the answer to your question and if not there are plenty of people using Popits who will be able to help you. The only person who loses by not asking the question is you.

Also, you among others have missed the point of this thread - it's not about who's better than anyone else, it's about making sure our advice (which we have paid for in money and time) is going to the right people. People who want to be the best they can be and are taking training to get them to that point. It's not about being new or inexperienced, it's about being genuine.

hth's

Vetty (and everyone else)
Thanks for your support. I don't know what I was thinking - Must have been hormonal or something!:irked: After being so gutted with my results at home (produced a fantastic set of nails at the class) I guess my confidence just plummeted!
Sorry it's taken soooo long to reply. Busy busy y'know?
Will check out the threads on popits again but don't think my quiery is there and will also continue to visit the site.
Ps. It was my original training that was rubbish - not the CND class!:!:

I trained with the Carlton Institute and Essential Nails. I am a newbie, although I have been doing friends and families nails for a few years I decided to go mobile a few months ago.

I had my first problem lastnight. I airbrushed whites onto gel nails and then put a final coat of gel on to seal the white. This is what I always do for a french manicure on gel nails, except lastnight when the last gel coat had been applied and had cured, when I wiped the residue off it all seemed to come off and took some of the white too. What a nightmare! It's never happened before. So I took the whites off re sprayed them and then put a top coat on instead of gel. I really can't think what went wrong. Any ideas? Am I actually doing the procedure correctly?
Bonder, gel, cure, gel, cure, airbrush whites, gel cure. Where am I going wrong?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I don't think any geniune "newbies" should feel scared to post, I am as green as can be, done no training in anything yet and the only experience I have is doing makeup for my pals, but the advice I've had from the geeks and from using the search facility on the site has been invaluable.
Without Salon Geek, I would probably have wasted my time and money on a homelearn nails course, or even a Rio kit :eek: and wouldn't even have made it as far as being a "toilet trader", because I knew nowt!
My experiences with beauty salons had all been negative (rubbish waxing jobs, poor service, years of trying to avoid having my eyes gouged out by my mother's hideous inch-thick talon-like "enhancements" which ruined her natural nails, you get the idea), I was bored at work one afternoon and I thought that I could probably do nicer-looking thick talons for a bit of cash on the side.
I typed something about nails into a search engine and up popped Salon Geek, within ten minutes all thoughts of DIY bodge jobs had left my mind and I spent the rest of the day looking at galleries, reading threads and getting excited. I was amazed how talented and dedicated the folks here are.
l still know next to nowt, but I at least know how much I don't know, if you see what I mean. I'm now hoping to become a proper paid-up full-time nail tech/makeup artist/spray tanner etc, and I know that I have to get good training, use quality products and be dedicated.
I've asked a few daft questions already and I hope to ask many many more in the future!
It's not inexperience or naivety that the Geeks are offended by, it's arrogance - people who think that they can buy dodgy kit from the internet, skip training and fill in the gaps in their skill sets by cribbing advice from folks who take it seriously and do things without cutting corners.
This is a fantastic site, there is so much expertise and willingness to help. It's a shame a few have to take the p***.

Sorry that this has turned out like a giant blog, I just wanted to explain that I didn't feel Nailzoo's original post was directed at people like me who are new to the whole thing and are here cos we geniunely want to be good at what we do/are going to do, and I hope that some people might read what I've written and think that if I'm going to stick around, they will too.

Or I might just go buy a Rio kit and set up in a toilet, pausing only to leave stupid comments on Youtube :D

xx

Last edited:
Sorry that this has turned out like a giant blog, I just wanted to explain that I didn't feel Nailzoo's original post was directed at people like me who are new to the whole thing and are here cos we geniunely want to be good at what we do/are going to do,

xx

For a newbie you are very perceptive :)

I don't think anyone will/would withold information from those genuinly interested.

It's those that want to make a quick buck, with very little professional interest that concern me/others.

wow ! that was a lot of reading!! so im not sure if my profile is complete or up to date! i never really get time for it, and i usually have a quick look at these blogs then log out and get on with business. I love reading opinions and advice and think its a fantastic way to share information/experience.
what alarmed me when reading this is the amount talk about newbies who are not experienced/trained enough to ask/answer questions???
sometimes people are perfectly honest and sometimes not, we cant stop this, there will always be people who want to go the easy route, and why not? if thats their choice then they have to live with that. If you dont give them answers someone else will thats life!
I just dont understand why you are all gettin so upset about it all??? You are all well trained/educated and most probably very successfull in your career so why feel threatened by people who dont know what they are doing and try to set up business in their "garage" at "50%"cheaper????? i say bring it on, because it will make my salon shine even more! If these people read information this will not make them a fantastic nail technician so lets not worry or feel upset about this, i like to share my life and work experience with people and if it helps them then Brilliant! if not they hey? no skin off my nose! i certainly WONT stop sharing incase that person is not to the standard i expect.

it reminds me of a nail bar i worked in, all the nail techs were keeping their hints and tips quiet so that one would not improve further than the other. Why do techs act like this i thought?? instead of working together to achieve the best results/knowledge/experience they would try to outdo each other??? I am encouraging all my staff to share with each other openly and therfore learn together to create a supportive team. Not always easy to do but we are working on it!!!

it's one thing to help out a fellow nail tech, who has had training. We ALL support one another: no matter the brand or degree of experience, etc etc... We support whole heartedly the ones that have the passion and take it seriously.

BUT it's a whole other kettle of fish to 'teach' an average consumer, with little to no knowledge, how to apply enhancements via this forum so that they can go and damage someone's nails.
It's simply irresponsible of us, to let such people, with no intentions of training, to advice/teach them.

Imagine...
You are a surgeon. Highly trained.. Specialized.
And your neighbor says to you "my nephew needs his appendix removed, but can't afford it because he has no insurance, so I'm going to do it. I've seen it done on tv.. and I think I can do this because I darn socks very well. You're a trained doctor, can you tell me how to do XYZ?"
If 'you' the doctor tell your neighbor how to do it... then you are professionally irresponsible.

Grossly exagerated example... but I think it gets the point across.

wow ! that was a lot of reading!! so im not sure if my profile is complete or up to date! i never really get time for it, and i usually have a quick look at these blogs then log out and get on with business. I love reading opinions and advice and think its a fantastic way to share information/experience.
what alarmed me when reading this is the amount talk about newbies who are not experienced/trained enough to ask/answer questions???
sometimes people are perfectly honest and sometimes not, we cant stop this, there will always be people who want to go the easy route, and why not? if thats their choice then they have to live with that. If you dont give them answers someone else will thats life!
I just dont understand why you are all gettin so upset about it all??? You are all well trained/educated and most probably very successfull in your career so why feel threatened by people who dont know what they are doing and try to set up business in their "garage" at "50%"cheaper????? i say bring it on, because it will make my salon shine even more! If these people read information this will not make them a fantastic nail technician so lets not worry or feel upset about this, i like to share my life and work experience with people and if it helps them then Brilliant! if not they hey? no skin off my nose! i certainly WONT stop sharing incase that person is not to the standard i expect.

it reminds me of a nail bar i worked in, all the nail techs were keeping their hints and tips quiet so that one would not improve further than the other. Why do techs act like this i thought?? instead of working together to achieve the best results/knowledge/experience they would try to outdo each other??? I am encouraging all my staff to share with each other openly and therfore learn together to create a supportive team. Not always easy to do but we are working on it!!!

It's not a case of feeling threatened, it is a case of responsibility, I never had a problem getting info when I was new, why?.... because I bothered to fill out my profile and let others know I was training and what stage I was at.

This site is far from unhelpful but that doesn't mean we are prepared to help someone feel they are ready to go out and potentially harm an unsuspecting client.

I get really annoyed when people make a comment like you have basically saying you don't care whether you are helping someone who has had training or not when people in our industry are fighting tirelessly to improve standards.

I understand what you mean regarding the nail bar you worked in and I have met people like that before but we are certainly not like that here.

:)

I agree that no one should feel threatened by the 'back yard Barbies' but like you, for most of us here on the site it is a question of TIME too. (By the way, if you have time to write that post you have more than enough time to get to your profile and fill it in :green:)

The back door types can search the site for info like anyone else. If they learn from the info here then that is a good thing and will help raise standards/awareness in itself, but they will not learn how to do nails here on the site, and most of us would not spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all.

It's not a matter of being mean or holding back information (the info is all here if they bother to search) it is more a matter of attitude and if the 'Barbie' can't be bothered and moreover is unwilling to take the proper steps to good training then I personally can't be bothered to spend my time going over old ground to help her.

I get really annoyed when people make a comment like you have basically saying you don't care whether you are helping someone who has had training or not when people in our industry are fighting tirelessly to improve standards.

I understand what you mean regarding the nail bar you worked in and I have met people like that before but we are certainly not like that here.

:)

Goodness! The comment by LushLou was a great comment! It was right on point - why should anyone get upset that new techs want to come to this site?

It seems to me that this site may not be like the nail bar LushLou worked in but newbies - whatever type - are certainly being selectively chosen. I don't think that's right at all.

New techs are being persecuted just because they don't use the Search function and I've seen comments implying they are stupid for not using the Search. These comments are extremely rude. Why can't you just say it in a NICE tone - "would you mind using the Search function? Check the FAQs on how to do so...?"

They are being made to feel insignificant because they "haven't bothered" to fill out their profile. Honestly, why that tone? It just shows that many people here do not make a point hide their frustration and instead make them feel welcome. It's almost like the rudeness is deliberate to run off new members who don't fit the bill here.

I agree that filling out the profile is a big help; so is using the Search function. I just do not agree with the WAY these issues are handled here. It's obvious that many of you do not care about how others are feeling when you make comments like "I can't be bothered with this..."

Imagine if you are a new tech and you came to this board and received replies like that. I've read many more that are similar. Yet noone will admit to acting this way even though it's right in front of our faces. The rude comments are never addressed when asked about, like I'm doing right now.

Goodness! The comment by LushLou was a great comment! It was right on point - why should anyone get upset that new techs want to come to this site?

It seems to me that this site may not be like the nail bar LushLou worked in but newbies - whatever type - are certainly being selectively chosen. I don't think that's right at all.

New techs are being persecuted just because they don't use the Search function and I've seen comments implying they are stupid for not using the Search. These comments are extremely rude. Why can't you just say it in a NICE tone - "would you mind using the Search function? Check the FAQs on how to do so...?"

They are being made to feel insignificant because they "haven't bothered" to fill out their profile. Honestly, why that tone? It just shows that many people here do not make a point hide their frustration and instead make them feel welcome. It's almost like the rudeness is deliberate to run off new members who don't fit the bill here.

I agree that filling out the profile is a big help; so is using the Search function. I just do not agree with the WAY these issues are handled here. It's obvious that many of you do not care about how others are feeling when you make comments like "I can't be bothered with this..."

Imagine if you are a new tech and you came to this board and received replies like that. I've read many more that are similar. Yet noone will admit to acting this way even though it's right in front of our faces. The rude comments are never addressed when asked about, like I'm doing right now.

I'll tell you what I think shall I?

I think that the person who has shown the most disrespect to this wonderful site and the people on it in the last few days is none other than yourself, and you seem to make a point of wanting to do so which makes me question why you are here at all?

IF you had bothered to read all of this thread clearly you would have understood that this thread is not about aspiring new professional techs at all ... it is solely concerned with those who have no desire other than to disrespect our profession by not getting education and then to purchase professional supplies through unprofessional sources and then to ask those here for help in how to use them. You seem to like twisting people's words so that you can make some points of your own all of which are desined to denegrate the salon geek web site.

As if it had to be made again :rolleyes: but obviously it does, the point is that this site welcomes all who come here with a positive and good motive. Those that don't can play elsewhere. Maybe it would benefit everyone who posts on this thread to at least read the thread so that they understand it and post with some intelligent thoughts instead of what suits their individual agenda.

I agree that no one should feel threatened by the 'back yard Barbies' but like you, for most of us here on the site it is a question of TIME too. (By the way, if you have time to write that post you have more than enough time to get to your profile and fill it in :green:)

The back door types can search the site for info like anyone else. If they learn from the info here then that is a good thing and will help raise standards/awareness in itself, but they will not learn how to do nails here on the site, and most of us would not spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all.

It's not a matter of being mean or holding back information (the info is all here if they bother to search) it is more a matter of attitude and if the 'Barbie' can't be bothered and moreover is unwilling to take the proper steps to good training then I personally can't be bothered to spend my time going over old ground to help her.

It's not a matter of being mean? Why do you have to defend yourself there? If you decided to ignore the posts from new members whose posts you "can't be bothered with" or whom you suspect are trying to learn nails from scratch on this forum, then maybe this stuff wouldn't bother you?

If the newbie thing is SUCH an issue, why haven't you taken steps to eliminate the problem. This may have been said but I feel it's necessary to bring it up. This thread is PAGES long. Obviously this site has a major problem with newbies. I've seen these poor newbies' posts and they are scared to death! Once they post, asking if they are OK to stay on here, they are "approved." Selectively chosen.

You really should market your site in this fashion. Have a form for everyone to fill out - where you are taking your courses; the numbers for your professional qualifications, etc. Then it's submitted and subject to rigorous review before being allowed here.

If it is too much hassle or would cost too much to handle the site that way, then I don't think it's worth anyone's time to even comment on the issue.

Don't you know about human nature? You should have realized you'd get unexperienced techs! Some of them may not be evil in their intentions and may assume they might get some free tips. But if they are either not responded to OR if they are nicely referred to the Search function, why not leave it up to themselves to find info here?

Then you won't have to " spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all."

And I've never seen someone DEMAND a lengthy answer...

Maybe someone is deciding on whether or not to get into nails and therefore has no nail education but wants to ask questions on the business, products and technique to see if the profession is right for him or her. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? But no, you discourage people like this and dismiss their questions by implying that this site is too good to spend time with them or to even NICELY refer them to the search function.

I have seen the most horrendous comments - and from a MODERATOR - to the most innocent of comments. Purely rude. And I've seen what seem to be regular members laugh at the comments and say that only the mod can get away with it. It's just appalling.

And let me guess - all of what I've written will be denied, right?

I'll tell you what I think shall I?

I think that the person who has shown the most disrespect to this wonderful site and the people on it in the last few days is none other than yourself, and you seem to make a point of wanting to do so which makes me question why you are here at all?

So I'm now several people? Wouldn't you be able to tell from my computer's IP address if I logged in as other names? Well, I'm Stilts and only Stilts. It must be nice to think that several people who disagree with many comments here are only one person. After all, who would want to realize that there are even MORE people who disagree with the way you deal with people here!

I've been familiar with this site for a long time and even though I just officially joined, I've been on it for years. There are others who do the same thing and I'm sure there are many others who feel like I do.

I've just finally realized that I need to speak up. If others do so at the same time, maybe they're feeding off of the other's courage to do so and go against the grain.

So I'm now several people? Wouldn't you be able to tell from my computer's IP address if I logged in as other names? Well, I'm Stilts and only Stilts. It must be nice to think that several people who disagree with many comments here are only one person. After all, who would want to realize that there are even MORE people who disagree with the way you deal with people here!

I've been familiar with this site for a long time and even though I just officially joined, I've been on it for years. There are others who do the same thing and I'm sure there are many others who feel like I do.

I've just finally realized that I need to speak up. If others do so at the same time, maybe they're feeding off of the other's courage to do so and go against the grain.

Several people? Where does that come form? I honestly think you do live in dreamland. :lol:

If by speaking up is your euphemism for being just plain rude than you're doing a great job ... and you are not doing yourself any favours either. I don't care how long you have been lurking here ... why did you join if you so clearly dislike the site?

You are not 'speaking up' about anything you are ranting. You haven't made a single meaningful point yet that had anything to do with the topic of the thread. You are twisting peoples words and USING this site for some agenda of your own.

If you are going to hurl accusations of unfriendliness, lack of help, making people feel inferior then back it up with facts. If you choose to read a tone in posts that is not there then that is YOU not the poster. The fact that some may agree with you would be understandable with more than 20,000 members but clearly the majority of folks here do not hear the same as you WANT to hear.

Do as you would be done by, I say. It hardly does you any credit to accuse others of being rude with no facts to back it up while all can plainly see how disprepectful and rude you are being and deliberately so.

It's not a matter of being mean? Why do you have to defend yourself there? If you decided to ignore the posts from new members whose posts you "can't be bothered with" or whom you suspect are trying to learn nails from scratch on this forum, then maybe this stuff wouldn't bother you?

If the newbie thing is SUCH an issue, why haven't you taken steps to eliminate the problem. This may have been said but I feel it's necessary to bring it up. This thread is PAGES long. Obviously this site has a major problem with newbies. I've seen these poor newbies' posts and they are scared to death! Once they post, asking if they are OK to stay on here, they are "approved." Selectively chosen.

You really should market your site in this fashion. Have a form for everyone to fill out - where you are taking your courses; the numbers for your professional qualifications, etc. Then it's submitted and subject to rigorous review before being allowed here.

If it is too much hassle or would cost too much to handle the site that way, then I don't think it's worth anyone's time to even comment on the issue.

Don't you know about human nature? You should have realized you'd get unexperienced techs! Some of them may not be evil in their intentions and may assume they might get some free tips. But if they are either not responded to OR if they are nicely referred to the Search function, why not leave it up to themselves to find info here?

Then you won't have to " spend the time that these ones demand to write lengthy answers to questions that have already been answered and that patently show they have no nail educationat all."

Maybe someone is deciding on whether or not to get into nails and therefore has no nail education but wants to ask questions on the business, products and technique to see if the profession is right for him or her. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? But no, you discourage people like this and dismiss their questions by implying that this site is too good to spend time with them or to even NICELY refer them to the search function.

I have seen the most horrendous comments - and from a MODERATOR - to the most innocent of comments. Purely rude. And I've seen what seem to be regular members laugh at the comments and say that only the mod can get away with it. It's just appalling.

One question? What are you doing here? Apart from ranting?

Perhaps as your problem seems to be specifically with myself (and I don't know you from Adam nor you me) then it would be more polite and respectful to all the members to take it to private message ... just nice and cosy between the 2 of us. I look forward to hearing from you.

well im gonna put my 2 pence worth in too i am a (newbie) as in i have just returned to nails after a break and i have never found anyone to be rude to me many people have answered my threads and gave me advice and above all else made me welcome .i do search for answers first instead of filling the site with old questions that a million people have already answered. i think some people need to get their heads down enjoy the site and all the valuble info it provides and master your proffesion and one day you will be helping a newbie xxx:wink2:

I don't think any geniune "newbies" should feel scared to post, I am as green as can be, done no training in anything yet and the only experience I have is doing makeup for my pals, but the advice I've had from the geeks and from using the search facility on the site has been invaluable.
Without Salon Geek, I would probably have wasted my time and money on a homelearn nails course, or even a Rio kit :eek: and wouldn't even have made it as far as being a "toilet trader", because I knew nowt!
My experiences with beauty salons had all been negative (rubbish waxing jobs, poor service, years of trying to avoid having my eyes gouged out by my mother's hideous inch-thick talon-like "enhancements" which ruined her natural nails, you get the idea), I was bored at work one afternoon and I thought that I could probably do nicer-looking thick talons for a bit of cash on the side.
I typed something about nails into a search engine and up popped Salon Geek, within ten minutes all thoughts of DIY bodge jobs had left my mind and I spent the rest of the day looking at galleries, reading threads and getting excited. I was amazed how talented and dedicated the folks here are.
l still know next to nowt, but I at least know how much I don't know, if you see what I mean. I'm now hoping to become a proper paid-up full-time nail tech/makeup artist/spray tanner etc, and I know that I have to get good training, use quality products and be dedicated.
I've asked a few daft questions already and I hope to ask many many more in the future!
It's not inexperience or naivety that the Geeks are offended by, it's arrogance - people who think that they can buy dodgy kit from the internet, skip training and fill in the gaps in their skill sets by cribbing advice from folks who take it seriously and do things without cutting corners.
This is a fantastic site, there is so much expertise and willingness to help. It's a shame a few have to take the p***.

Sorry that this has turned out like a giant blog, I just wanted to explain that I didn't feel Nailzoo's original post was directed at people like me who are new to the whole thing and are here cos we geniunely want to be good at what we do/are going to do, and I hope that some people might read what I've written and think that if I'm going to stick around, they will too.

Or I might just go buy a Rio kit and set up in a toilet, pausing only to leave stupid comments on Youtube :D

xx

well im gonna put my 2 pence worth in too i am a (newbie) as in i have just returned to nails after a break and i have never found anyone to be rude to me many people have answered my threads and gave me advice and above all else made me welcome .i do search for answers first instead of filling the site with old questions that a million people have already answered. i think some people need to get their heads down enjoy the site and all the valuble info it provides and master your proffesion and one day you will be helping a newbie xxx

Maybe we should get back on topic and re read this post from one of our newbies and how she feels which I think is pretty typical of how all genuinely intersted newbies feel.

This site was designed for the interested newbies to enhance their education and that is what we do all day long .... and all are welcome and welcomed as always.

For all you say we have many many who join, stay, post happily and dont have any issues. Newbies or experienced in the industry. Some replies are more direct than others but almost always with the best of intention behind them. When you say about human nature, dont you think that applies to everyone? Maybe if some one is very forthright in person they will be equally so in text. When I was very new, and some times to this day, if Geeg or anyone else 'says' something to me in the forum and I'm feeling a bit unsure how to take it I pm, thats a very useful tool and it resolves things. This isn't kindergarten, this is a forum for new or professional nail techs and the beauty industry, at the top of their game or just coming into it, where ever they are at.

If anyone was so nervous text can cause them to scuttle off into a corner never to post again, how will they deal with nightmare clients or difficult situations once they start work? Because of this forum I have now attended two events, the last one I was so worried about I almost gave myself an ulcer but once there we had many Geeks and many techs who'd never been to the forum. I was, as I am here, treated like everyone else. Supported and encouraged.

If a newbie drops out because they dont like some replies either to them, or some one else when they are new they miss out on so mucht. I chose to hang in there and I am most definately richer for it.

:hug::hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back