Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Julie and Kkardit

Don't get disheartened and feel intimidated, it's just a case of people letting off steam, airing their opinions and views. Sometimes threads just go a bit haywire!

I am new to this site as well, but when I was a practicing Beauty therapist sometimes the threads on the site I used could get a bit heated to !

I have found this thread not only very informative, but also highly amusing......life as a bookkeeper can be very dull !!!

I now have a profile and put my beauty credentials on and hopefully established myself as a very new newbie rather than a bluffer. I have asked 4 questions and got replies to three and even put a blog on !!!

So all you newbies just read the commandments, put up a profile and go for it !!! Lets face it ladies and Gents when we qualify and start practicing we may have to take more flak then the content on this thread lol

thanks for that catsaremad!
I understand what everyone has been saying but think I'll just wait and see if anyone else has the same temperature issue with popits as I do before I post my question.
Nice to hear from all you newbies tho.
Now I know I'm not alone! :hug:

Hi

I am a newbie i went to college in 2005 and done Manicure and Pedicure then went on and done Nail Extensions.

I love doing nails so i went and done Ezflow course last year as the college by me didnt do acrylic.:)

i got told about this site by a few people i know in the area been meaning to join for ages but with a baby 7months and a just turned 3 year old its been hectic!:rolleyes:

But now i have joined i love it

Karen :green:

Will put my two penny worth in :green:

To be honest it doesnt matter if your a newbie on this site as you still could have been a beauty therapist for god knows how many years. And i also dont think it matters how long someone has been doing nails for.

Of course its not good for people to buy a book and dvd and then think they are a nail tech but then surely isnt it upto us to guide them in the right direction as some people can be niave?

This forum is here to help whether you are qualified or you are wanting to qualify - surely if you are an experienced nail tech with years of experience behind you, you will then feel good and privlliaged that you can guide someone in the right direction?

Also i dont think it would be right for people to put their certificate number etc on here as its a forum and in my opinion no1 really has to prove anything to anyone on the internet

xx

Wow, this is one very long and interesting thread. :) I can't believe I read the whole thing. ;) Just kidding!!! It was actually very interesting.

I really don't have anything to add though, I just wanted to let everyone here know that I am no longer a nail tech, a family tragedy and other personal problems required me to let my business go several years ago. I have been a member here for 6 years and never did fill out my profile. I was absent for a few years as I just simply didnt have the time. :) Life has finally in the last few months gotten a bit slower and I looked the site up again. I personally can't believe I was able to remember my password but I did. I had briefly thought about trying to get back into the business but right now it just not an option.

I don't ask or offer any advice because I am surely behind the times these days but I do appreciate the quality of work, as well as the awesome artistic talent of todays nail techs. I never did nails like that in my day. :) Reading here has been fun these last few weeks but I would understand if things had to change to professionals only. ;)

Thanks.

Respect your teacher/tutors advice ............ then rip them to shreds:) .

Will you STOP giving them ideas.... I've been eaten alive by the little pirahnnas!

All kidding aside, I have directed quite a few of my students to the site, some have joined, others lurk. Most are so excited that they ask all sorts of questions (they really could use the search feature...incredibly helpful) but are more interested in exact info pertaining JUST to them.

This is an incredible resource, some of the most brilliant technicians out there contribute, it's a great place to keep updated (since I'm one of those tutor types who are stuck in the dark ages-NOT) and some of the nicest people I've had a chance to meet. Ones who understand that you can't have a conversation with out checking out other peoples hairstyle (possibly comment on it) looking at their nails (deciding if your skills would improve their hands or if they have an awesome stylist) and possibly mentioning something about hair, skin or nails while having that conversation.

I think when nailzoo mentions 'garage salon' he means the types of places where people set up with no training, no insurance etc as they think its a quick way to make money! He is in no way implying that Qualified tech's who set up at home are incompetant or anything like that you just read his post wrong! This thread was started for discussion purposes not for starting arguments and throwing around accusations. :)

Yep, that's what I mean, no qualifications, no nothing.
Buying crap products and doing crap nails ...... trying to take away someone else's livelihood who has invested in training.

Shall I call them "Toilet Technicians" from now on so I don't offend those that do nails in a converted garage?

Shall I call them "Toilet Technicians" from now on so I don't offend those that do nails in a converted garage?

But then what about those of us whose livelihood comes from working in toilets?! Oh, we're talking about nails...:lol:

Yep, that's what I mean, no qualifications, no nothing.
Buying crap products and doing crap nails ...... trying to take away someone else's livelihood who has invested in training.

:lol: I thought thats what you ment, but some people take things to heart a bit to easily sometimes, its just one of those things but once pointed out they are fine, lol
I agree 100% with what you have had to say in this thread, i also understand it is not directed at newbies with training or wanting info on training, some people have posted rather silly comments saying that they wont be coming back yadda yadda yadda, its silly as if they took the time to read the thread properly instead of getting all hett up they'd understand it's not directed AT them, its just a thread about the so called wanna be techs who DONT want any training they just want to make some quick cash, but what they dont understand is that without any training they are going to fall flat on their faces.

So anyone who has training under their belt please dont feel like everyone here is looking down their noses at you or anything like that, honestly you cant meet a better bunch of people even if you tried, they are so helpful on this site and quite honestly if i had never found this site i dont know where i'd be as i work alone and the people on here have become my friends and in a round about way my co-workers, i'm sure alot of the people on here feel this way too. :hug:

its just a thread about the so called wanna be techs who DONT want any training they just want to make some quick cash, but what they dont understand is that without any training they are going to fall flat on their faces.

One question you always have to remind yourself the people who wont have training, obviously cannot provide the treatment in the right way as they are self taught which means the treatment could go wrong or wont be as good - who will the client come to? They will come to us that have had training and us good beauty therapist, so really they are making us more busyer?

For instance before i trained and qualified as a manicurist and pedicurist i didnt ever paint my nails properly or as good, never did file the correct way, but now i see the huge difference!! Same for tanning i did use to buy fake tan and apply it but it never looks as good as a spray tan.

xx

Back in 1988 i went to school in boston in 1990 i went
back to nail shcool
in 2000 i went back to school cuz i know that there was new
things going on with nail and i wanted to know what they was
in 2008 i did a refresh class yes i no i crazy for going to school so
much there is alway new thing out there and i want to know about

i have people asking me to teach them all the time i not a teacher and
i tell them to go to the school i went to and they tell me it is to much
money or they dont have the time
i dont have the right to teach so i dont its not my job
i just a nail tech

Hi hun, I am glad you have posted this as it's really annoying me too.

My worst pet hate I have to say, is people that come on here, that for instance lets just say they just do 'spray tanning' They have trained for one day in their whole life and have tried one solution and then try to give advice. The advice is usually wrong and miss leading and when you try to correct them they get all defensive.
It really annoys me as there are geeks on here that have spent a lot of time and money on courses and products, that have lots of knowledge and tips for people that need and deserve it.
Dont get me wrong I think this is a great site to learn from, if you are learning and of course we welcome newbies but dont think they should be giving advice on things they dont really know about.
xxx

I agree with the above said, BUT I have given advice (despite courses and working with an education ambassador) that was wrong and I have been corrected (hope I haven't come across as rudei n my repys to that)

What I'm trying to say is that what you learn eg with CND isn't the same across the world (mine wasn't, and educators can have their bad habbits or misunderstanings too) and what is correct is sometimes a gray area between right and wrong.
Ofcourse you think that what you have been taught is the right way, so eventhough I've been doing nails quite some time I stil answer questions and RELY on the more experienced techs to correct me if I'm wrong. By that I learn myself. So eventhoguh newbies may not know it all, hopefully they learn as I do by giving advice, and either bee confirmed or corrected, and be thankfull to those who take the time to do so...

With that said I agree with the point about those who don't have any training shouldn't offer advise, often yes you spot them miles away anyway...

I agree with the above said, BUT I have given advice (despite courses and working with an education ambassador) that was wrong and I have been corrected (hope I haven't come across as rudei n my repys to that)

What I'm trying to say is that what you learn eg with CND isn't the same across the world (mine wasn't, and educators can have their bad habbits or misunderstanings too) and what is correct is sometimes a gray area between right and wrong.
Ofcourse you think that what you have been taught is the right way, so eventhough I've been doing nails quite some time I stil answer questions and RELY on the more experienced techs to correct me if I'm wrong. By that I learn myself. So eventhoguh newbies may not know it all, hopefully they learn as I do by giving advice, and either bee confirmed or corrected, and be thankfull to those who take the time to do so...

With that said I agree with the point about those who don't have any training shouldn't offer advise, often yes you spot them miles away anyway...

I agree. I have no experience really aside from my own nails but I have answered questions. Some times I'm right, occasionally I am wrong (and get corrected), isn't that just part of a continual learning curve? I

Hi guys

I'm a neewbie too and I've just found out I have passed my Acrylic Nail Course with Essential Nails. Now I know some of you don't agree with home learn courses but I am not one of these who thinks I can just go out there, be perfect and get loads of clients cos I'm not. I won't even do anybody's nails yet till I have practised more.

I would consider the comments as "constructive Criticism". I don't mind what people say to me be it good or bad. I like people to give me advice.

I have also just passed my Hollywood Lashes course tooo.

So I am very pleased and happy today.:)

Hi ya, I have only registered on this site today and I am not too sure if i should be here and please let me know if i should'nt. The only thing i can say is that i have only just finished my course and thought this place would be a great help to me. I was reading through and wondering what exactly shoud be in my profile page because i'm not to sure as i am only new to nails.

Hi ya, I have only registered on this site today and I am not too sure if i should be here and please let me know if i should'nt. The only thing i can say is that i have only just finished my course and thought this place would be a great help to me. I was reading through and wondering what exactly shoud be in my profile page because i'm not to sure as i am only new to nails.

You are not the kind of newbie we talk about, so don't be afraid to post on here:hug:
Perhaps the term newbie is wrong? as it has nothing to do with the fact that people are new on here or to nails, it's just those who think they can buy products off eg. ebay and come on here asking how to use them, so they can do nails on people without proper education or the will to have education....

You are not the kind of newbie we talk about, so don't be afraid to post on here:hug:
Perhaps the term newbie is wrong? as it has nothing to do with the fact that people are new on here or to nails, it's just those who think they can buy products off eg. ebay and come on here asking how to use them, so they can do nails on people without proper education or the will to have education....

i notice alot of people sell bio-sculpture gels on ebay at a profit (at about double the price) surely this is against bio-sculptures rules, i often think about telling bio-sculpture but dont want to dob anyone in (so to speak)

btw just coz a profile isnt filled in doesnt mean the person isnt qualified, i am qualified in bio sculpture, xtreme lashes and micro ring hair extensions, but i only filled in my profile after reading this thread, to be honest i didnt realise it was important. and im doing my waxing trainng next week and after i feel comfortable and good at it i intend to continue onto other beauty courses

thanks

I'm guilty in not updating my profile:lol: I have now btw...

I've just recently started to look at peps. profile, but not always, and I'm sure nobody refuse to answer questions with from a non-profile person.

But if they ask very simple questions that are normally included in the training, then we start wonder if it's one of the DIY-on other people (I love to make up new words today) And first of all its difficult if not impossible to learn to do nails by reading, second of all as been said many times, why offer to train others for free, when we have paid so much (eventhough peeps. on here kind of already do this) third thing is, many questions can be brand specific and therefore you would need to let people know your brand to achieve the best possible answer to you question...:hug:

Of course huni, we all get things wrong from time to time, we wouldnt be normal otherwise and completely know what your saying, you stick by the ways you have been taught...i am a sucker for that.
But what i mean is the people that know they havent got a clue, coming on and pretending they have.
It's good to get things wrong in order for you to learn, which is fine if you have a reason to believe what your saying is true.
If that makes sense ??? :irked:
Sorry guys I didnt mean it in the way you thought, so sorry if i upset anyone :hug: xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back