Not meaning to be rude but...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
How old were you when you started your own business. Im especialy interested in the self employed as im in the process of going mobile. Im 26 but everyone says I look alot younger and I get asked for ID all the time (and I mean all the time)!!! Im worried I wont be taken seriously not so much as a nail tech but as a self employed person. For example what if some ones like ill pay you next time or pretends they have no money or something I know that sounds a bit strange but has something like this ever happend to anyone?:hug:

That has happened to me in the past(not paying), but I always get the money eventually because I know them all so well! A long time ago, I'd started working at a new salon, and my client was complaining about how much she disliked it. She made out her check, put it on the table, and I left to put something in the back. I came back a few seconds later and they were both gone. THE LADY AND THE CHECK! Never saw either one of them again. I had just come off maternity leave, and my husband was off doing ministry work so we were really broke!
As for how old I was when I opened my shop, I was 36. I had a small business when I was 21, but it failed. It was a rodeo and saddle supply-so a different kind of business altogether! People do take you more seriously as you age.

Yes that does actually happen I am the same people say I dont look my age im 24, and I am self-employed. If you are professional then you will be respected by 99% of clients and they will understand that you are running a business. But there are clients that will try it on when your mobile (they have tried with me) I mainly do makeup and I have been to clients who know full well how much they need to pay but they try and tell you they forgot to go to the bank, or they only have x amount so can they just give you that. If you let them get away with it you will be seen as soft. Just say to them that you are running a business and ask would they do the same if they went to tescos etc. They will soon "find" the money they owe you from somewhere. Make sure you stand your ground. Good Luck:)

I started my business when I was 26 and I had a mature attitude from the start, I can have a laugh outside wor time but when it comes to business I was very proffessional. I looked really young for my age but my tone and professionalism carried a lot of weight.

I started renting in a salon when i was 18, But i started preparing to set up at about 17. sounds really young when i think about it now lol. Ive been in business 5 years now. :D

even now, im still younger than you are, lol, and i dont get clients being funy about it. they admire i more than anthing.

x

I've been in bussiness since I was 19, i'm 21 now, and people are taking me seriously now because i'm getting my name out there more. I have had the odd funny look when people have answered the door, and when i'm doing their nails I have regularly been asked 1001 questions about my experience.

The only 2 clients I've had that haven't been able to pay me have been friends of mine. All my other clients have been fine, they usually ask how much it will be so they can draw the money out the cashpoint ready.Both friends said they would drop the money off at mine during the week, and neither of them did. Ended up getting the money off one of them when I saw them in the pub, and the other i'm still waiting for! :smack: So I wont be giving credit to anyone in future, if they haven't got the money, i'll drive them to the nearest cash point.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice!! I thaught i had better ask as it was playing on my mind a bit. I will be driving them to the cash point that is a good idea!!! Thankyou xxx

I was only 21 when I started mt home-based salon. My salon will be having it's first birthday in a few weeks, and the whole time no one has tried anything like not paying.

Like someone else said, most people are quite surprised when they first see me (I look about 16) but no one has been put off by my age. I'm very confident in my work and try to act professional at all times, so I think this helps a lot.

I'm sure you'll be fine, as long as you behave professionally you will be treated professionally.

I was 18 and still going strong at 37:) still have a LOT of my original clients from when I was 18, so I must be doing something right:lol:

Good luck and don't let anything stop you

I took my time and learned the business from several different salon and spa owners. I learned what to do and what NOT to do! In 1998, I started my business plan and in 1999, I finally went for it and will never go back. I've always known that no matter how crummy the economy is (it's horrible here in the US), ladies will still invest in themselves and get their nails done, have their facials and buy make-up and skin care products. Sure, they may wait 8 weeks for a hair cut or 3 weeks for a fill, but they still come back!

I'd like to give credit to my mom for my success: No matter what, even on days when she was ill, she'd get out of bed, brush her teeth and put on a little mascara and lip gloss... then she'd go back to bed! I always admired this about her (and so did my dad) and followed her example. My mother's attitude towards beauty and massage and the spa encouraged me to choose the beauty industry and here I am, still with clients since 1999.

I love telling this story - thanks! Love you Mom! oxoxo kelly

It doesnt matter as long as you know what your doing and why your doing it. I have a lot of experience and hopefully knowledge and when jealous people start on me - which has been happing quite abit of late - I know how to defuse them and tell them what they want to hear!
I'm 26 have been in the industry for 7 yrs, have my own salon and teach.

Yeh people do get jealouse of a career in hair and nails beauty etc i have noticad that !!! Realy strange!!! Think people wish they had done something they love...I think people in this industry do actual love their job!!! I know I do and thanks for all the tips I cant wait to get going xxxxxxxxx:hug:

The funny thing with me is that it's not ME people are jealous at, but at my sister ......lol
Every time they see her, she has a different manicure with lots of nail art on it and of course they know that she doesn't pay for it ,since i am more that happy to treat her nails every time!
However, as far as payment is concerned, all my instractors used to say that as long as i am a professional, i will never run short of good clients who are willing to pay for a professional set of nails.
So far i have never experienced a "Scroutze" customer, maybe i was just lucky, but i really believe that when somebody takes his job seriously it really makes a difference!
Good luck with everything!:lol:

Latest posts

Back