Not suitable for waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
Morning all. I hope you can help. I have a client who, up until 6 months ago had never been waxed in her life. She then came to me for a Hollywood (brave!) and has been having one every month since. The first couple of months were fine but she's now developed the most horrific in-growing hairs I've ever seen! I've advised her to exfoliate a bit more gently, using baby oil and use sudocream afterwards but she came back this week and they were just as bad. Is it possible that she just isn't suitable for waxing, or is there a product I can recommend? Or is it something I'm doing?! All help and advice great fully received! :-( xx

She may not be following you aftercare advice.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wendy,
Over the years I have had a few clients that suffer really badly with ingrown hairs and some of them tried every product available and followed their waxing aftercare(gentle exfoliation and a suitable skin wash) with no change and in the end had to switch from Hollywood to Brazilian as it looks awful having lots of ingrown hairs as well as being very uncomfortable.

Those that tried products found that PFB Vanish worked better than most of the others that were available so that's what I recommend if clients cant manage to keep them under control with general aftercare.

Ingrown hair treatment. PFB Vanish ingrown hair treatment official UK website

HTH Jack

I would not advise baby oil but liquid soap and some kind of exfoliation glove/mitt.

Some clients are just prone to ingrown hairs whatever their chosen method of hair removal and there is nothing we can do about it.

PFB is good, ingrow go is another product you could use.

Is more likely her hair got very thin now and is stuck under the skin.
I would suggest shaving (just once) two weeks after her waxing so when is back in two weeks the hair would be thicker.
PFB is really good too.

Is more likely her hair got very thin now and is stuck under the skin.
I would suggest shaving (just once) two weeks after her waxing so when is back in two weeks the hair would be thicker.
PFB is really good too.

Doesn't this defeat the object of coming to get waxed in the first place? X

I have heard sudocream blocks the pores, so ever since then ive been aftaid to recommend it. Tell her to buy a little bottle of lavender oil or tea tree oil this helps draw out the ingrown hair. And i swear by savlon cream after a wax!! I have a friend like that i have never seen ingrown hairs like them!! She butchers herself with a tweezers trying to get them out shes also a beauty therspist her self theres no telling her. Hope you find a solution soon x

I suggest to my clients but I always say they don't have to.....let the hair grow through 6-8 weeks rather than every 4weeks it gives a chance for some of the hairs to catch up. It's only something I learnt through personal preference. I also agree with the shaving tip ive waxed my legs twice in a row and my legs are so itchy and bumpy so will be shaving to thicken them up again

Thank you so much for your advice everyone. I've pointed her to that site Jack, so hopefully she'll get them sorted! :) xx

My clients have great success with baby oil and exfoliating.

Some people do no after are and they have skin like a baby and others follow aftercare instructions and get loads. I have had a few clients where I wonder why they get waxed.

It's not you, it's just her skin.

My clients have great success with baby oil and exfoliating.

Some people do no after are and they have skin like a baby and others follow aftercare instructions and get loads. I have had a few clients where I wonder why they get waxed.

It's not you, it's just her skin.

Thanks Kim. They're so horrible it's untrue! She loves the hairless look but said she couldn't start a relationship even if she wanted to because she looks like she's got an STI! (Her words not mine!) I've heard from her tonight and she's ordered the product Jack recommended so we'll see how she gets on. :) x

I had a client this evening and the ingrown hairs were actually folliculitus she's been to the doctors who have quickly given her anti biotics and off she goes. I've advised her to see a dermatologist and said that ipl may be her best bet. Like someone else said it is sometimes purely the clients hair and skin and there is only so much we can do as therapists.

Latest posts

Back