Numbing Spray - Lidocaine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO-no its not OKAY because hes not a paying client. I was simply asking a question as this is what this site is for. From the information provided I never did go ahead with waxing his back. The precise reason I asked the question was to find out whether its possible and also whether its dangerous!

As for your last comment, if you have read the post you would understand why I was asking the question in the first place!

Wow...

Things are getting heated in here!

I've been to wax bars that use a numbing product before treatments in Australia... it was a nice touch. I hear the medical concerns on this thread, and I get them, but where I'm from these products are legal. You can't get so heated with people who've found these products made for waxing... it's not fair.

There are numbing products out there made for waxing, like...
PFB Numb-It Pre-Wax Treatment (5% lidocaine),
Relax'n Wax
Gigi's Anaesthetic Numbing Spray.

.. and for everyone advising against lidocaine and benzocaine.. there is also-

Natural Look Numbing Spray (armoatherapy)

Miss Pink - Maybe you could try Natural Look on your bf. I'd be curious to see how well it works

xx

Last edited:
I can't comment on the actual waxing techniques as I'm not a professional but I do have a professional knowledge about medicines. EMLA is intended for treating small areas only and covering a large area like the back would increase the risk of adverse reactions and interactions with other medications due to the ammount absorbed systemicaly in the body. In addition remember people can suffer allergic or sensitisation reactions which is a common side effect with EMLA these can include swelling, and localised lesions. Again a large area of application could be a problem if these occured.
I sympathise with your Husband but I'm afraid I don't think EMLA or the sprays are suitable for this purpose.
Regards
Steve

Sorry.....not read the other replies, so I apologise if I repeat.

I would stay clear of any numbing sprays on such a large area as you could overdose. I'm serious.

I never go in for anything like that. Kid him to take a couple of painkillers 15 mins before. Wax quickly and apply soothing lotion straight after and he'll be fine.

Look at the direction of HIS hair growth as everyone is different and that's a fact. xx

is sadly sold in very small containers there are more contraindications to take in to the equation and the main thing is it takes something like 1 n half hours to be working properly!! brought it but never had the time to use it xxx you would have to buy a shead load ....if there is something else out there like a spray sounds good but if it has the same stuff in it may take long me thinks... however that said would love to know if there is a spray and what it is called xxx

It may still hurt but maybe worth a try !

just for those interested. i personally use EMLA numbing cream each time i get a brazillian wax. i find it does offer some releif. its not totally pain free and still uncomfortable, but it does take the edge off. worth a try for smaller areas i think

The spray does work but the active ingredient is Lignocaigne which is the same as you would have at the dentist for a tooth out - much better and cheaper to buy Emla cream at the chemist spread it on leave 10/15 mins it will start to tingle and then viola!

It can be used on babies before injection so unlikely to react with the skin or with the wax :)

:Grope:

Omg this started of as a really interesting thread and ended up as an episode of jerry springer!!!! Looolll.

Omg this started of as a really interesting thread and ended up as an episode of jerry springer!!!! Looolll.

I was thing exactly the same as I actually LOL'd reading it...

My friend went to a Laser Therapist in Torquay south Devon.
The Therapist showed that the laser did not require any numbing cream, and actually, it wasn`t all that bad, but there were some small bleeding. Is that normal?

I personally recommend Emla cream - it's really good and it does work. I say apply 20-30 mins before any treatment to really sink in. Only thing is it is a small tube so depending on what area like lip - it would last a while but bigger areas woul require the whole tube.
:D

Sorry if this doesn't help anyone but I'm allergic to 'magic cream' (I was 11 when I found out so no idea which one it is but think it's the same as the dentist ingredients because that made me feel very dizzy and almost pass out). Had it on both my hands before surgery and they were bright red and itchy as hell, not what you want when having your tonsils out too!

So for anyone thinking of using it I would recommend patch testing for this type of numbing thing as it's not nice if a reaction occurs.

Thought I'd just put my experiences in incase they help x

Yeah it's lignocaine, skin reactions are really common with it!

Fab thanks I'll add it to my allergy and injections book. How sad am I ;) x

DR NUMB! I have been doing ski needling and have used countless tubes on EMLA....but it takes TOO LONG and only has 1 active ingredient....DR NUMB HAS 3! Look it up!

Latest posts

Back