Numbing Spray - Lidocaine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Pink23

Reaction score
Does anyone use or has used a numbing spray with contains the active ingredient Lidocaine.
If so, does it work and how well does it work?
My other half wants me to wax his back and due to having very sensitive skin waxing is too painful after about 2 strips. A spray would be perfect if it really does work.
Lastly, those who use or have used, what is the name of the product. I have come across the pharmaceutical one and a brand named one by Gigi-I assume both are basically the same thing.
Thanks

ooooh exciting i will be keeping a watchful eye onn this thread would love to know

have troed no scream cream but found it not that great to be honest
jenn

Try hot wax instead of strip wax. Much less uncomfortable!

I used to work in a chemists where we sold a cream called EMLA which contained lidocaine.
Nurses who also did Botox would buy it to numb the area where the Botox would be injected. Hth.

Last edited:
Try hot wax instead of strip wax. Much less uncomfortable!

True, but it would take a while to do the whole back and a lot of wax too. Plus, it is more the rip of the wax that is painful as he does have sensitive skin, so the only way forward really is to numb the skin beforehand.
Thanks though

I used to work in a chemists where we sold a cream called EMLA which contained lidocaine.
Nurses who also did Botox would buy it to numb the area where the Botox would be injected. Hth.

Thanks for this info, I did come across this, but I think a spray would be easier than a cream and go alot further considering its for the whole back.
x

Tell him not to be such a big girl's blouse!

EMLA, is this sold over the counter? does it have to be applied a certain length of time prior to waxing in order to be "numbed"??

I replied to this but it seems to have disappered:eek:
Yes it works, you can buy it from Boots and you apply it about half an hour before you need it.
I've seen it used in tattoo studio's mainly for peeps having back tattoo's.

EMLA, is this sold over the counter? does it have to be applied a certain length of time prior to waxing in order to be "numbed"??

Some of my more sensitive clients have Emla applied before lip waxing(they buy and apply before coming to me).It does have to be applied beforeI think it's about 20 mins but could be longer.It def works and is the magic cream used in hospitals.Also its sold over the counter in chemists:green:

jesus this is amazing news I LOVE YOU SALON GEEK!!!!!

As a beauty therapist you most definitely would not want to be spraying someone with lidocaine prior to waxing (not meant to be detrimental) even topically this is a pharmacological drug and can cause systemic effects. Emla cream is now graded as pharmacy only as opposed to prescription only and so is slightly different, but even so for waxing I really don't think is necessary, particularly for large areas - jesus you would need bucket loads and that is definitely contra-indicated!

For waxing this really is not indicated. You are messing with a form of medication and there will always be the risks of ADR's. Non-pharmacological is always going to be the safest option. This is waxing for goodness sake.

point taken !! Can i ask you about this product??
Yes, No Scream Cream contains 20% benzocaine. It is the same thing the dentist puts inside your mouth before injections..so it's safe.for ALL areas. You could even use No Scream Cream in your mouth if you wanted to.

so there are products that are designed to help numb the area prior to waxing that are safe and FDA approved! This is surely ok

As a beauty therapist you most definitely would not want to be spraying someone with lidocaine prior to waxing (not meant to be detrimental) even topically this is a pharmacological drug and can cause systemic effects. Emla cream is now graded as pharmacy only as opposed to prescription only and so is slightly different, but even so for waxing I really don't think is necessary, particularly for large areas - jesus you would need bucket loads and that is definitely contra-indicated!

For waxing this really is not indicated. You are messing with a form of medication and there will always be the risks of ADR's. Non-pharmacological is always going to be the safest option. This is waxing for goodness sake.

I see what you are saying, but I am not going to be using this on my customers, but on my partner, who like I say has very sensitive skin-made worse by hairs, so they need to be removed. He has a very high pain threshold but still waxing is extemely painful, hence the reason for the spray or cream.
I dont mind how much we need, its for personal use and if it helps in his problem its not an issue. As long as its not dangerous-I dont see how it can be, I dont see the problem in at least trying it out.
Thanks though

michelle i agree, if it is for personal use then yes it sounds perfect, i dont know if your original q was answered, if it is availablein spray form, i too am deligted to have learned of this product, do not intend to recommned it to clients but for personal use

Exactly.
I do know that it is available in spray form as I have seen it for sale. I just more wanted to know if its any good, and some answers have bee yes-so I think im just going to buy it and see for myself. It may be alittle expensive, but if it works its worth it in my opinon.
x

i'm getting a tattoo done soon, might have to try out the cream, never knew about it!!

a lot tattoo places offer it at a small extra price (bout 5 quid i think) cream that you can have applied at least 15/20mins before geting done ^^ your bettr to ask at your parlour, could be the cream they use, save you buying it if you realy want it. i got this for my 1st tattoo which took near 2 hrs and numbed it for bout the 1st hour. hth

Xx

Hi
I do electrolysis and I used to recommend a cream like this and also I few years ago my sister had a tattoo on her foot and used a cream. I can't rememeber what the cream is.If you ask over the counter they can recommend something to you.It's applied 20 minutes before the treatment but it's a small tube,, u'll properly need a couple for the back but thinks It's about £3.00.
What about paracetamol?????

Sorry just seen a thread
why would you not recommend a client use a numding cream??????

Latest posts

Back