Nurse Practitioner vs GP?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Just wondered what your thoughts were on this please peeps?

Over many years now nurse practitioners seem to be coming more to the fore in diagnosing and treating illnesses. Unfortunately, I had a couple of bad experiences with a nurse practitioner several years ago as my eldest daughter was misdiagnosed despite my hubby already indicating what was wrong with her. He just doesn't like to treat his own family though and rightly so.

I realize that the NHS services are stretched but personally I feel that if I make an appointment to see my GP, then I should see my GP and not the nurse practitioner.

I had to take my daughter (eldest) to the GP yesterday as she has a nasty ear infection. Thinking I had made the appointment with the GP I arrived to be ushered in to see the nurse instead. I wasn't really happy with this but had to go with the flow as my daughter was off to camp in the next hour or so.

To cut a long story somewhat short, the nurse ended up having to consult the GP anyway for advice which left me feeling that I would have been better off just seeing the GP in the first place!

I am not against nurse practitioners in general and as a former nurse myself, I respect that there is a place for them in helping GP's. It is just that I feel we are a society where the lines between certain professional services are being blurred. After yesterdays experience I am still not confident in seeing a nurse for a job which I feel belongs to a GP.

Are you happy seeing a nurse practioner or do you insist on seeing a doctor?

I don't know about other peeps.....but me personally ......I want to see a GP....not the nurse......
If I wanted an appointment with the nurse I would have said so!:irked:...I hate when they do that to me ...and will make a stink about it as I've also had a bad experience.....

(I was having a pap ...and the nurse left the speculum in me while she left the room for a bit...... to talk with the GP!!.....talk about being open to the world!)

now whenever I call to make an appointment ......I make sure I'm clear I'll be seeing the GP .... not a nurse......I have nothing against said nurse....but I feel better knowing the GP just has a better bit of knowledge.....

A bit of a sore point with me at the moment too.
Week before last my husband was really ill, flu like symptoms and a very painful throat, which actually ulcerated. I got him and appointment with a GP...he was prescribed anti biotics. They WORKED!!!

Last week I had a really painful throat and was feeling quite poorly, I called the surgery on Tuesday and couldn't get an appointment with a GP but they squeezed me in with the Practise Nurse.
She made me feel like a time waster, told me throat didn't even look red and I should just drink plenty fluids and take painkillers. I told her about my husband and what he had been like and I didn't want to end up like that as I had to work at the weekend as no one could cover for me if I was sick.

She placated me by telling me that antibiotics would be of no use anyway, and took a swab of my throat.

Well I ended up with a really painful throat, earache, and painful sinuses by Saturday....then of course after work on Sunday my voice all but goes completely . I croaked and squeaked my way through work on Monday, and felt like sh**.

I feel I am over the worst now so I am not even going to try and get an appointment.....but I have spent a fortune on Benylin (drowsy and Non drowsy, ear drops, and various other medications...throat sprays lozenges!!)

Next time I will insist on a GP!!

I have to say, I have only ever had very positive experiences with our nurse practitioner, I have been seeing my GP for years on and off about 'womans problems' and never really got anywhere except been given yet more pills to take, I went to see the nurse last year and she told me about a procedure I could have that could solve my probs - my GP had never mentioned it , anyway I got referred and had this procedure done earlier this year and its been fantastic - I feel like I have got my life back! She also sorted me out with getting a tonsilectomy done after several bouts of tonsilitis - my GP was very reluntant to refer me and kept sending me off with antibiotics.:)

A bit of a sore point with me at the moment too.
Week before last my husband was really ill, flu like symptoms and a very painful throat, which actually ulcerated. I got him and appointment with a GP...he was prescribed anti biotics. They WORKED!!!

Last week I had a really painful throat and was feeling quite poorly, I called the surgery on Tuesday and couldn't get an appointment with a GP but they squeezed me in with the Practise Nurse.
She made me feel like a time waster, told me throat didn't even look red and I should just drink plenty fluids and take painkillers. I told her about my husband and what he had been like and I didn't want to end up like that as I had to work at the weekend as no one could cover for me if I was sick.

She placated me by telling me that antibiotics would be of no use anyway, and took a swab of my throat.

Well I ended up with a really painful throat, earache, and painful sinuses by Saturday....then of course after work on Sunday my voice all but goes completely . I croaked and squeaked my way through work on Monday, and felt like sh**.

I feel I am over the worst now so I am not even going to try and get an appointment.....but I have spent a fortune on Benylin (drowsy and Non drowsy, ear drops, and various other medications...throat sprays lozenges!!)

Next time I will insist on a GP!!
I think I remember from a previous thread or your journal where you admitted to being rather croaky and unwell.

Your experience was similar to my initial one years ago. My eldest was about 6 or 7 years old. She developed a throat infection with very definite swollen lymph nodes in her throat. They were like golf balls! A common side effect of this is secondary swelling of nodes in the tummy which in turn causes nausea, vomitting and cramping. Michaela had nothing to eat the previous day due to sore throat so around supper time she was feeling peckish and said she wanted to nibble on a miniature pork pie, but started cramping and vomitting later that night as her condition worsened.

As no GP appointment was available the next day she had to see the NP. She said that she felt no swollen glands :rolleyes: and that the reason Mikki had vomitted was because I fed her pork pie. She basically said that if I was to feed my child on a fatty snack, what was I to expect? I was dismissed with no antibiotics and ended up back at the surgery in front of the same NP the next morning because Michaela now had a raging ear infection:mad:!

I had to PMSL though because the previous morning I had left the surgery huffing under my breath that the darned nurse was talking rubbish. My delightful child then repeated this to the nurse the next day, lol :lol:. The nurse said, "Ooh I remember you from yesterday," to which Michaela replied, "Well my mommy thinks you talk rubbish.":green: I had to laugh (to myself of course). Anyway we got the antibiotics we needed. xx

I had to PMSL though because the previous morning I had left the surgery huffing under my breath that the darned nurse was talking rubbish. My delightful child then repeated this to the nurse the next day, lol :lol:. The nurse said, "Ooh I remember you from yesterday," to which Michaela replied, "Well my mommy thinks you talk rubbish.":green: I had to laugh (to myself of course). Anyway we got the antibiotics we needed. xx

PMSL, kids always manage to drop you right in it dont they!:lol:

Bit of a difficult question - I guess it depends on the quality of the staff at the individual practice.

I had an ear infection two years ago - so bad that I was off work. I went to my GP three times and the walk in centre at the hospital and they could not find the problem. Ended up with four different painkillers - all on prescription as the pain was so bad. The doctor at one stage even said he thought it was a trapped nerve in my face.

Eventually I went to see the practice nurse - who took the time to examine me properly- found it was an infection that the doctor had missed. She prescribed an antibiotic spray and hey bingo - 24 hours later I was pain free.

Problem is a it is easy to tar everyone with the same brush. I suppose its like a client going to a NSS and then assuming all nail techs are the same.......

However that said, I do believe if you need a GP you should be able to see one. A nurse parctitioner should not be an option just because the GP hasn't time to see you. That does not do the nurses reputation any favours whatsoever.

Sometimes they just send you to the nurse first and she assesses whether you need to see the doctor or if she can quickly deal with the problem. Each nurse is different as is each doctor some are better than others and both can make mistakes. :hug:

I've never seen a nurse practitioner at my GP although we don't go there a lot. I did see one at the minor injuries unti at my local hospital when I tore the ligaments in my thumb...she was fab.

I'm just very happy that we don't have to pay for our medical services....sore throats and minor ailments could cost us a packet!

My doctor is such an ugly horrible little man who makes me feel sicker after I have seen him that I would rather have an approachable, interested nurse any day. I can't wait to move and sign on with a decent doc x

My doctor is such an ugly horrible little man who makes me feel sicker after I have seen him that I would rather have an approachable, interested nurse any day. I can't wait to move and sign on with a decent doc x

Sorry Chris, but had to giggle :lol:.

On a serious note though, surely you don't always have to see the Gp you have been assigned to? We are registered with a certain Dr. XX whom I actually like, but there are other docs I like as well and we can see anyone we choose, so long as there is availabiltiy for routine appointments. Emergencies are 'come what may' but it's not always the same doc.

However, like me, a local friend who also attends the same practise, adores Dr. Yum Yum Yum:green:. We are always trying to find any dignified ailment to book an appointment with him. Dignified being the opperative word!!

No ummmmmmmmm............. well............... nasty ailments................. IYKWIM :wink2:.

A female nurse practitioner could not compare:D!

On a serious note though, surely you don't always have to see the Gp you have been assigned to? We are registered with a certain Dr. XX whom I actually like, but there are other docs I like as well and we can see anyone we choose, so long as there is availabiltiy for routine appointments. Emergencies are 'come what may' but it's not always the same doc.

However, like me, a local friend who also attends the same practise, adores Dr. Yum Yum Yum:green:. We are always trying to find any dignified ailment to book an appointment with him. Dignified being the opperative word!!

No ummmmmmmmm............. well............... nasty ailments................. IYKWIM. And only ones which require a second visit! :wink2:.

No ummmmmmmmm............. well............... nasty ailments................. IYKWIM. And only ones which require a second visit! :wink2:.

So glad I cheered you up Tracey. Unfortunately, we don't have a choice of doctors - only one doctor at my present surgery.

Keep smiling x:wink2:

This is also a bit of a sore point with me and my family! My little boy had a very bad ear infection and was told by the nurse to go home and rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went back to the docs the day later and saw a dr only for him to say that Harry has a badly inflammed something or other and that he shouldve had antibiotics straight away (yesterday).

Anyway, the doctors in this surgery were pretty good, but the whole system was pants to we moved surgeries and now everything is rosey!

With regard to the question I would rather see a doctor than a nurse and day of the week.

I think its like anything...untill you have had a bad experience with something like this you will be happy to see who ever is available.

heck half the time i just pop into my local Boots and speak to the pharmasist...:lol:

If i had experienced the problems you guys have experienced then i would feel the same as you but as yet the nurse where i go is very good and as long as i get seen i don't mind.

I think you guys are really lucky being able to get in with your surgery !!

I called the doc yesterday as I think I'm busy getting an ear infection and have a very sore throat. Called and was told the doc is fully booked until Friday !

OK, I'm really not feeling great and my ear is killing me, is there anything you can do, maybe an emergency appointment.... anything ? The receptionist then piped up and said "I told you he is fully booked until Friday and that's that. Nothing I can do about it" !!!!!

I tell you, it's a good thing I wasn't actually standing in front of her at the time as I fear I might have grabbed her and strangled her !!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I appreciate our medical services are "free", but honestly, the NHS gets millions off us each year, but mismanage it so badly ! To be honest, I would much rather pay a private medical aid knowing that if I need to see a doc, I can call up and do so on the same day, and not made to feel like I'm wasting his time or rushing me through my appointment !

If I knew when I was going to be sick, I would call up and make an advance appointment.... but oh I forgot, firstly I can't see into the future so don't know when I'll be sick and secondly, you can't make appointments now more than two days in advance so they can meet their waiting period targets !!!!

Marlise

I agree that both bad and good experiences do sway peoples minds one way or the other. My concern overall is that nurses are expected to do doctors jobs more and more and I think this is where mistakes will be made.

I realise that nurse practioners are trained to a higher level (degree level). It is just my feeling that they are perhaps relied on more and more where I feel that doctors should be used. But then, that being said, I know some nurse anesthetists who are very good with the level of training they have.

I do see the other side of the coin and agree that perhaps my negative experience has swayed my views. Still prefer to see my GP though, especially Dr. Yum :green:.

Totally agree with you Tracey.

But don't you just love it when you go and see the doc and he says "So what do you think is wrong with you ?" :irked: :irked:

If I bloody well knew, I would be sitting in your chair and have a medical degree and not be sitting on the other side of the table asking for help !!!

Marlise

I think you guys are really lucky being able to get in with your surgery !!

I called the doc yesterday as I think I'm busy getting an ear infection and have a very sore throat. Called and was told the doc is fully booked until Friday !

OK, I'm really not feeling great and my ear is killing me, is there anything you can do, maybe an emergency appointment.... anything ? The receptionist then piped up and said "I told you he is fully booked until Friday and that's that. Nothing I can do about it" !!!!!

I tell you, it's a good thing I wasn't actually standing in front of her at the time as I fear I might have grabbed her and strangled her !!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I appreciate our medical services are "free", but honestly, the NHS gets millions off us each year, but mismanage it so badly ! To be honest, I would much rather pay a private medical aid knowing that if I need to see a doc, I can call up and do so on the same day, and not made to feel like I'm wasting his time or rushing me through my appointment !

If I knew when I was going to be sick, I would call up and make an advance appointment.... but oh I forgot, firstly I can't see into the future so don't know when I'll be sick and secondly, you can't make appointments now more than two days in advance so they can meet their waiting period targets !!!!

Marlise

This is appalling Marlise! Are you living in a smallish community where services are limited?

What I have noticed though is that sometimes surgery receptionists are not very helpful and their attitude is very offhand. Have you tried asking for a telephone consult with your doctor? It usually comes at the end of the day and although not ideal at least it is one way of getting to talk to them.

This is appalling Marlise! Are you living in a smallish community where services are limited?

What I have noticed though is that sometimes surgery receptionists are not very helpful and their attitude is very offhand. Have you tried asking for a telephone consult with your doctor? It usually comes at the end of the day and although not ideal at least it is one way of getting to talk to them.

Lord no ! I live in Birmingham so not a small community at all. I think the problem is that they overfill their books to get more money (sorry, but that's how I see it) and then they have so many patients, they can't cope !

They couldn't even get my repeat perscription right the other day (which I've been having for the past 2 years !), so I wouldn't trust a phone consult. Having said that, I don't even think they do that ....

Marlise

Latest posts

Back