NVQ or CREATIVE?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum2one&bump

Reaction score
Hi again! :confused:
quick question :green: i've been offered funding to complete an NVQ in nail services, but as everyone is raving about creative, i'm not sure what to do, i've come to the conclusion that as far as short courses go creative rule all lol but as NVQ is nationally recognised, which would be the better option? i still have to pay for the kits if i do the NVQ so financially theres not much in it!
I'm thinking you can't go wrong with an NVQ as it would offer lots of possiblilities after completion and then i could do a short course in the system which i like using!
Any thoughts again please?? :green:

Hi,

I would take the NVQ as to b honest in abt 5yrs (i know sounds along time) could be sooner, you will have to hold an NVQ the short courses will just be so you can gain experince and knowledge of other brands, We are all always complaining about dodgy nail techs and the NVQ (i think) is the way forward to show the true techs out there.

Sorry didnt mean to ramble lol amd good at that, but defantly if was me id take nvq then go on short courses after.

:hug:x

Thank you, thats what i thought! alot of salons ask for it as a minimum from what i have seen, not planning to work for a salon but you never know it might be a good way to get experience and more confidence before going mobile/own business!
xx

Ur welcome any Qs just send me a message as im just starting to deliver the Nvq this week:hug: x

Actually I have to disagree with Stacy on this one.

There is absolutely no indication that the NVQ will be mandatory in the next 5 years or the next 20.

I have been working with NVQ for almost 15 years and there is still no sign that it will be mandatory for all. People have been saying what Stacy is saying for 15 years and still no sign that you need it or will ever need it.

NVQ is a MINIMUM --- THE minimum -- qualification you can get to do nails. It is not some holy grail that makes you a great nail tech .. quite the reverse in fact. The CND Foundation class will see you doing better nails in a very short time than you will ever need to do to pass your assessments for NVQ ... guaranteed.

There is nothing wrong with the NVQ (apart from the fact that it does not produce a standard anything!) but it is not now nor ever has been more than a minimum requirement to do nails and most who obtain it are not remotely ready to enter into the nail industry as a working nail technician when they have completed it.

In case anyone thinks I do not know what I'm talking about ... I have 3 NVQ's (yes I have done each one as they have evolved over 15 years). I am also an assessor for NVQ and an IV and something else too but I forget what it is as I did it a while ago now :rolleyes:.

Now I am not generalising or meaning any offence to anyone that has done an NVQ I think its better to have it than not to have it and I may well do it at some point myself BUT i know a couple of people that have done an NVQ and I cant tell you how stunned I feel when Ive spoken to them about nails....they don't know what im talking about more than anyone else who hasn't studied nails! and from my own personal experience looking back at an nvq I partly did a few years ago...the things that were being taught were SO out of date! I never realised until I found this place and got some proper training..I would certainly not want to base my knowledge on an NVQ thats for sure x

CND used to offer NVQ assessing alongside their courses if you arrange beforehand.

Not sure if they still do that though but I think somewhere along the line you can combine the two - CND course and NVQ.

Ring Sweet squared to ask further and re confirm.?

I hold NVQ in Nails and I also trained with Creative. My NVQ didn't open any doors for me at all whereas my Creative training has been widely respected and opened all the doors for me.

Interesting views, thanks!
xx

And remember, NVQ isn't a course, it is an assessment. An NVQ course only means that they teach specifically to the NVQ assessment. While there is merit in that, most product manufacturer training would have to dumb down their courses to teach to the NVQ because an NVQ is defined as the minimum level of capability. You can just as easily attend a course anywhere and go take your NVQ assessment when it becomes needed.

Another thing about the NVQ is that it is a vocational award. It is designed to be awarded to those already trained and experienced in their field, not as a 'graduation certificate'. Alas, thats what it has become due to funding initiatives. IMO it has lowered the education bar considerably.

Now I am not generalising or meaning any offence to anyone that has done an NVQ I think its better to have it than not to have it and I may well do it at some point myself BUT i know a couple of people that have done an NVQ and I cant tell you how stunned I feel when Ive spoken to them about nails....they don't know what im talking about more than anyone else who hasn't studied nails! and from my own personal experience looking back at an nvq I partly did a few years ago...the things that were being taught were SO out of date! I never realised until I found this place and got some proper training..I would certainly not want to base my knowledge on an NVQ thats for sure x

With respect, i think this depends on the person, i've done an NVQ LEVEL3 in another subject, started off with 30 people in the class, for a 2 year course, 9 people took the exam at the end, 2 passed, me being one of them, the others took retests and passed but they got so much help because the teacher was so embarrassed that only 2 people passed! these people would barely turn up and when they did they were often hung over-now these people have got that qualification the same as me- who attended almost every lesson and done all my course work and i knew everything there was to know about that subject because i was interested and actually listened and done my work!
My plan would be to do the nvq now and then when my baby is born also do a course with creative, do you think that would give me a good start into the industry? as some of you have said, you would like to get an nvq aswell at some point.
I'm aware that an nvq alone may not be sufficient.
thanks
xx

Like mr geek has said an NVQ is not education it is an assessment of your knowledge in your field, if you need to work on a particular area you normally have you pay for a workshop in that area. I have done my creative training.....and feel happy that i have been 'very' well educated in the basics and more.
I have been looking into doing my NVQ and think i would enjoy doing it; but i personally...not saying all by all means...after speaking to some that have been doing nails in college....think that some of the teaching seems very out of date and think i have an advantage by doing my CND course as it is the most up to date with teaching methods and science.
If you have been offered your NVQ for free why not just do both....i would. You can use your CND products in you assessments i am sure (when you pay for them you can use what you would normally use in your work)......otherwise it s not free is it if its being offered free when you buy £££ worth of products.
I am sure you get two years to complete your NVQ....so there wouldnt be any harm in you starting it now with the bump. :)

Ok i'm getting confused again! lol how can you be assessed on something which you have never done before? surely they are training you in order to assess you!?!
So you would come out with the knowledge of application health and safety etc, then if you do a cnd conversion, you have an NVQ as well as being trained in cnd?!
xx

nah......i would personally do ur CND course then do your NVQ assessments.....for instance near me denise wright has a satalite assessment centre where you can do your NVQ....i know purelynailz (hazel) is nearly finished doing her NVQ with her and she will give you a better idea of how its done, pm her for more info if you want, she will be happy to help you.
I know hazel went for an induction and worked on her assessments and denise advised her on what she needed to improve on and she did a few workshops with her before doing her assessment...she has passed them all so far with no problems. Normally NVQs are only free if you dont already hold one....as they are government funded.
I just wanted to add.....have you been offered an NVQ course for free or the assessments for free???

Thanks Sian, in that case i would need to do the foundation course first with creative!?
I thought that too but i contacted a college that offered the funding and they accepted me! altho i don't want to do the training there, it was NABS, i'd rather do it at The Pinks academy!#But now i don't know what i'm doing again! lol

Its a fastrack nvq course!

Thats good if they have accepted you but i would just phone them up and ask them what exactly you will have to pay for with regard to the unit assessments and the kit(what is in the kit...is it everything you need? ie. tools and products), i dont mean to confuse you hun...sorry if i have. And what is the qualification you will end up with at the end.....there are a few different awarding bodies of NVQ's...some are more recognised than others.

Ok, this is what i think ! :)

I personally feel that fast track courses arent that great because i cant see how you can learn everything you need to know over a few days plus its alot to learn and actually take in all in one go.

I started by doing a CND foundation course, and went on to do all of Ezflows training courses right up to masters . I feel that both companies were very good and has helped me immensely to be where i am today, and ive been dong nails for 3 years in april and spent the first year practicing on friends and family before i started up my business.
However i still had a few things missing that i wanted to do and felt holding an C&G NVQ would be beneficial to me in the long term especially as i want to be able teach in the future.
I have went and done my NVQ assessmnets ( like sian said) with Denise Wright at a ANT Satellite Assesment Centre, which is different to doing a NVQ at a college.
Ive found doing my NVQ very helpful even after doing all my courses with the said companies and ive met a lady ( Denise ) that has also helped me alot with my confidence and is always there to help me if i need her and is honest without all the " use xx brand cos its better than xx brand " etc etc . Maybe i have been lucky having such great people helping me to do my NVQ !!!
Its filled any gaps i had in my education and im very happy ive done it.

I think what im trying to say is , learning never stops, and i think an NVQ is a good thing to do once youve got some experience behind you . If i could do all my training again, i wouldnt change anything,
Doing a CND foundation helped me get started and gave me a very good grounding and enabled me to get out there and do nails , and continuing with Ezflow has also pushed that much further to being a good nail tech and then the NVQ has also helped me to "know that i know it " ( if you know what i mean) aswell as filling in the other things.

I would definatly do the CND fondation if you want to, then add the courses you want to over time and then when you feel your ready i would do an NVQ . Ive only had experience of an assessment centre not a college, which many do say arent that great , but i dont know as ive not done it a college.
If you want to do both a brands training and an NVQ then go for it.

Haze

I say grab all that lovely education that you can.:hug:

If you've read my thread about accreditation, you'd know how lucky you are to have so much quality education at your fingertips, while I struggle to find anything half decent.

Knowledge is power... and what I'm thinking is while some courses are supposed to be the same all around.. not all teachers are created equal and so, you might 'miss' something in one class, but pick it up in the other... OR you might be more receptive one day as opposed to another and it'll 'click' for you (we all have off days...). Did that make sense?

While the Creative foundation might be better, it certainly couldn't hurt any to have the nvq to go with it?

Good luck and enjoy your journey:!:

Thanks everyone!
And thanks Hazel, thats very helpful! have alot of thinking to do now! lol I was questioning the NVQ myself because like i said, i have done nvq level 3 in another subject and that was a 2 year course, we did have lectures but was mainly the assessor coming to my workplace and....well....assessing me!! so yes, perhaps a short course, get some experience and then nvq!!!
hhhmmmm who knew the nail industry was so stressful!! lol
xx

Thanks everyone!
And thanks Hazel, thats very helpful! have alot of thinking to do now! lol I was questioning the NVQ myself because like i said, i have done nvq level 3 in another subject and that was a 2 year course, we did have lectures but was mainly the assessor coming to my workplace and....well....assessing me!! so yes, perhaps a short course, get some experience and then nvq!!!
hhhmmmm who knew the nail industry was so stressful!! lol
xx

Hey, dont get stressed !!:lol: Im sure youll do whats best for you and youve been given loads of helpful advice by many people on here and a good thing is, at least your doing your homework first before diving straight into a course without knowing,good luck with what you decide to do.:hug:

haze x

Latest posts

Back