Oh my Rio have done it again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm shaking my head and smiling sadly, here's the truth.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
So Rio get rich on people buying their stuff, trying it and figuring that one out for themselves. I have had many clients who have shamefacedly put their hands on my nail table and muttered, can you fix these. I have so far managed to stop my self from falling of my chair with laughter until they relax and start to regale me with the nightmare time they had getting the products to do what the instructions say they do. Ex Rio uses usually have a lot more respect for the magic we work then the sensible, loyal client.
As for loosing the client for the 2 or 3 appointments, well personally I would be saying, you do realise this is going to cost you more to put right don't you?
Just like the 'home' hair cut or colour, when t goes wrong its funny how quickly they come back to us.

Well I have to admit I am one of the "stupid" people who was going to get the rio hair removal laser, purely for the fact I get really bad ingrown hairs so have to shave & wax :cry: could not afford to go to a salon for treatment and was sucked right in by the rio laser! To be fair thou I did come on here and ask and surprise surprise I did'nt buy it lol lucky for me my brilliant boyfriend is paying for it for my xmas (at a salon not rio :lol:)
I think its lack of knowledge that makes people buy products like rio stuff (and lack of money!)

To be honest i think it should be illegal!

What they sell doesnt actually do the job so giving our treatments a bad rep.

Its very dangerous!! It should be illegal to use all that equiptment without training.

Like it is for us now we can't go to whever and buy a god knows what just because we've done level 2 we have had to do the training for that specific treatment and or machine

The facial steamer i think is ok but it needs to have a sticker on the top of the machine about over doing it cos knowone is going to read the instructions

i actually have a facial steamer from argos not sure if it's rio or not was £10 only small fully read instructions and waited a long time till i put my face in it. but all is fine but thats just a steamer these other thing's are v v dangerous!

I did rather laugh when I saw this on Amazon!
Rio Electric Threading Hair Removal Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty
Can you imagine the pain?

I had a lady ring me a few weeks ago at about 9 at night who had bought some wax strips from Boots and applied them to her bikini area (OK, well it was more like Braz territory). She had pulled one off and had almost expired with the pain, and found herself unable to remove the other side. So she waddled round to me in her jimmyjams so that I could remove it. The poor woman looked like road kill on the side she'd ripped off herself!

I did rather laugh when I saw this on Amazon!
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rio-Electric-Threading-Hair-Removal/dp/B001RIYHYE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1247719976&sr=8-3]I had a lady ring me a few weeks ago at about 9 at night who had bought some wax strips from Boots and applied them to her bikini area (OK, well it was more like Braz territory). She had pulled one off and had almost expired with the pain, and found herself unable to remove the other side. So she waddled round to me in her jimmyjams so that I could remove it. The poor woman looked like road kill on the side she'd ripped off herself!

Yep, those Boots waxing kits aren't a patch on professional waxing; about 5 years ago, when I was living down in Wiltshire, I experimented with one of those Boots roller wax jobbies that you heat up in a microwave; it was *so* hard to get the temperature right; either it would be way too hot and burn you, or it would be way too cold and gloopy. I admittedly did get far better results (on myself) from a professional Depileve waxing kit that I ordered from an online supplier back then (January 2004); don't worry I didn't try waxing anyone else thank goodness! You'll be glad to know I've done the right thing now though; I've not used the Depileve kit since early 2004, and have now given the Depileve wax pot to the lady who does my waxing for me in Shrewsbury - and is qualified and insured to do it!

I do think it's damaging to our Industry and agree with the points you've made, though I know people who've bought products to do their own nail enhancements, or done a 3 day course, then think they can get the same results as they would in a salon!??

Though I must admit I bought a Rio spray tan with air compressor a few yrs ago....It's been used once and shall be put on ebay when I get round to it. It was pretty naff and you need a cubicle to prevent your bedroom walls, or the grout in your bathroom going ORANGE!! Lol

Hi All,
I did an experiment on Rio Laser hair removal last year.
I have had laser hair removal for underarms in a salon, although expensive, it really worked.
I bought the Rio, but made sure I could take it back, I bought it at Tesco, saying it was a 18th birthday gift for my neice. Naughty I know, I took it back 3 weeks later saying she already had one, some one else bought it.
So being such a naughty girl - I used it every night for 3 weeks. Absolutely no hair removal at all........Fully tested by me....... so I am not surprised they are so cheap on Bid down tv programme.
I know real salon lasers work.......Rio Laser does not!!!
I am saving to go and have more salon laser, it is the biz :lol:.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: x x x

Hi All,
I did an experiment on Rio Laser hair removal last year.
I have had laser hair removal for underarms in a salon, although expensive, it really worked.
I bought the Rio, but made sure I could take it back, I bought it at Tesco, saying it was a 18th birthday gift for my neice. Naughty I know, I took it back 3 weeks later saying she already had one, some one else bought it.
So being such a naughty girl - I used it every night for 3 weeks. Absolutely no hair removal at all........Fully tested by me....... so I am not surprised they are so cheap on Bid down tv programme.
I know real salon lasers work.......Rio Laser does not!!!
I am saving to go and have more salon laser, it is the biz :lol:.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: x x x

Yep, you might as well buy a cheap laser pointer and shine it on your skin; it will probably do more than a Rio product!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry to bump this, I have been considering posting a thread about treatments, the cost verses the quality.

Years ago when I was approx 17/18yo I bought a rio UV nails kit second hand on ebay, I tried it and couldn't get the hang of it and put it away for year, I dug it out the other day, I don't want to stick on tips, but I wanted a layer of gel to protect my nails, prevent them from breaking and to prolong nailpolish application.

I usually clean and use a 3 step file to keep my nails looking neat, I always have.
I have pondered getting my nails done, but it always comes down to cost, I'm a full time student working 2 minimum wage part time jobs to pay my bills.
So when it comes to comparing whether I pay a bill or buy something that lasts longer, I tend to think that if I don't really *need* it I won't get it.
I guess I'm not the type of customer that anyone would want anyways.

I'm not sure how long a nail treatment would last before needing another, I've seen adverts for mobile/at home nail technicians and how would I know if the nail technician knows their stuff so to speak?

Nail technicians will have a qualification certificate for the each of the systems they have learned, eg: NSI, Star, Creative nails etc.

Salons normally have them displayed, but I guess you could always request a mobile technician to show you. The best way is always ask a friend to recommend... If they're good, they'll be really busy, so you'd need to book in advance.

Hope this helps :)

I am another of the guilty ones who has in the past bought Rio L&P and gel systems. I never learnt how to use them, got bored before I had even tried and sold them to a friend - who in turn binned them as she couldn't do it!

I do own some of the Rio nail art kits which have been gifts from family and friends which I do quite like for messing with.

If I hadn't tried and failed with the Rio kits though, I doubt I would ever have got the urge to think about college and learning how to do it properly :D

Not so sure on the other things they do though - vacuum treatment is something my carpets have and I certainly don't fancy a home threading kit - ain't got a clue what it is but it sounds painful already!

Latest posts

Back