Oh my Rio have done it again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number1kitty

Reaction score
Ok, just flicking through new argos catalogue and nearly fell off the couch!

Rio have got the following for sale:

Laser hair removal (which I have seen before, and am surprised if they actually work) Price £100-£300

Facial Steamer at £30

Microdermabrasion Machine at £100

Liposuction at £342

Airbrush Nails £40

Threading Hair Removal (GULP) £30

Electric Nail file £80

anyway you get the idea!

Theres a few things that bother me:

1) That this company can sell machines to the public at a tenth of what we can purchase them for!

2) That the products are not going to work because they are not powerful enough or used properly giving the treatment a bad name.

3) The products can cause damage!

4) We have to get HCC registrations or years of training and insurance to ever own or operate some of this stuff yet its easily available to Joe Public!

5) And by doing this this money is not going into our pockets!

What are your views on all this? Is it good or bad for us?

xx

IMO, the kind of people that these products attract are not the kind of people who will pay for regular treatments in a salon, and I doubt the kind of clients we'd all like.

I've never heard of anyone actually owning one!

All I can say is that if they do damage to themselves using these products, it's their own fault, and they'll learn. Will probably see them in a salon in a years time paying for the real thing.

Lipo..... now that's funny!

i agree with lucy jayne in that the people who would buy these are not the sort of people that would be regular paying clients.they just want the cheap option.
i do think that good can come out of this such as when i first became interested in nails i was bought the rio gel nail kit for xmas many years ago now.i had a few goes with it and just found that the gel peeled off completely.anyway it made me realise that i wanted to learn properly and get trained which i did and i realised after i did a bit of research before my training that the product was c***. so if i learnt from it im sure other will.x

Kitty Honey

You have missed out the treatment couch and the massage chair are also in there. LOL Iam just picking myself up from the floor:lol:

If people want to waste their money then thats up to them...Rio have been doing this for ages...and its not just in Argos....hasnt put me out of business and it never will.

A friend of a friend of mine uses the rio laser hair removal as she has excess hair on her chin due to hormonal problems. She read the instructions which told her to give her skin a rest every so often but decided to use it every day as she felt it would 'work quicker'. She thinks it has improved her situation but her skin is so red!! Im not familiar with laser hair removal so im not sure if this is a normal reaction, but it's so worrying! She has no idea on the structure of the skin and of course she's no way of knowing what she's actually doing. I appreciate they're not as strong or as good quality as professional equipment but surely this kind of thing is dangerous in the wrong hands?

1) That this company can sell machines to the public at a tenth of what we can purchase them for!

2) That the products are not going to work because they are not powerful enough or used properly giving the treatment a bad name.

Your question number 2 answers your question number 1 hun :lol:

Your question number 2 answers your question number 1 hun :lol:

lol you missed my point! If you have a client for a microdermabrasion and she wants to save money in the recession that we are apparently teetering on the brink of and buys the machine we lose business even if its one or two appointments.

Also clients who try the laser machine and it dosnt do what it says then the client is going to presume it won't even work in a clinic.

And when these clients see how cheap these machines are compared to the £10,000+ price tag for laser or £5000+ for Microdermabrasion machines etc they think we are making mega bucks!

And it is the safety aspect cause its us that gets the bad name when they do serious damage!

I know its never going to effect our business to such a degree we will all go bust, but you have to wonder where it will end????

Are people really that daft to pay £300 for a machine to do lip suction on themselves lol!

People are getting more confident performing treatments on themselves these days, and surely the hair colouring products are better than they were 20 years ago so in another 10 years what are these products going to be capable of???

Just bizarre to me, I would rather spend the money and get pampered and if I cant afford it then not bother spending £300 to inflict pain on myself!

xxxx

:o sorry I did miss your point, I have a tendency to do that lol...
Apology coming your way :lol:

"It's not the tools, its the fools" goes the saying.....

or rather in this case it's BOTH

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
People must be mad or stupid if they think cheap 'tricks' like these work. They are deluding themselves a bit like obese people deluding themselves that a quick fad diet/wonder drug, etc will make them lose weight when deep down common sense tells them it's never going to happen and the only option is sensible diet and exercise.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, you get nothing for nothing in this life.

Liposuction at £342

You are kidding yeah???
My bf works at Argos and I will get the new catalogue out of his car asap and laugh my head off..... or maybe buy it and try it out on him?:eek:
Jesus Mary and the orphans....what next?
Do your own FACELIFT????:lol:

Home liposuction on yourself - how the hell does that work?!! :eek: Surely it's a surgical procedure? Do they include the scalpel?!

Home liposuction on yourself - how the hell does that work?!! :eek: Surely it's a surgical procedure? Do they include the scalpel?!

I checked this out last night...it's a non-surgical procedure....leading you to believe it's "like" liposuction:rolleyes:

Liposuction at £342

You are kidding yeah???
My bf works at Argos and I will get the new catalogue out of his car asap and laugh my head off..... or maybe buy it and try it out on him?:eek:
Jesus Mary and the orphans....what next?
Do your own FACELIFT????:lol:

oops meant to say vacumn suction!

Although I think your not far off, surely it will be DIY Botox kits next!!!!

Sorry to bump this, I have been considering posting a thread about treatments, the cost verses the quality.

Years ago when I was approx 17/18yo I bought a rio UV nails kit second hand on ebay, I tried it and couldn't get the hang of it and put it away for year, I dug it out the other day, I don't want to stick on tips, but I wanted a layer of gel to protect my nails, prevent them from breaking and to prolong nailpolish application.

I usually clean and use a 3 step file to keep my nails looking neat, I always have.
I have pondered getting my nails done, but it always comes down to cost, I'm a full time student working 2 minimum wage part time jobs to pay my bills.
So when it comes to comparing whether I pay a bill or buy something that lasts longer, I tend to think that if I don't really *need* it I won't get it.
I guess I'm not the type of customer that anyone would want anyways.

I'm not sure how long a nail treatment would last before needing another, I've seen adverts for mobile/at home nail technicians and how would I know if the nail technician knows their stuff so to speak?

They're in the latest Next Directory too. L&P and UV Gel.

now there's a thought - DIY Botox - maybe I should charge half price for patients if they inject themselves!

Seriously, I can not believe the general public would be so gullible enough to actually believe the equipment/materials to be the same as salon standard - would they? A microdermabrasion machine for £100 - I think they would be better of buying a manual exfoliator for a few quid from boots - would get the same results, fraction of the cost!

Home Lipo - I have missed a market there - I will get my kitchen table out! X

Hi all
Hate to be the bearer of further bad news but would you believe Bid Down TV have just sold 123 of the Rio laser hair removal systems for £49.99!!!!
Frightening to think of all of those unexperienced housewives etc. will be using these on themselves and possibly friends and family over the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Back